PDA

View Full Version : Jigsaw Edges for mapmaking

CRasterImage
20-09-2009, 05:54
(this root post has changed since the earlier replies. Which means they may not make sense.)

Jigsaw Glowing Edge Tiles = Released

Some people were thrown a bit by Mission 6 since the mission book artist didn't put a clear jigsaw edge between two tiles.

It bothered me that Tilesystem had very vague hints at tile edges at all.

A couple of people want 'em. I want 'em. So, I did 'em. I thought it would take most of tomorrow to do them all, but it only took an hour or so. Including hellheart's alternate Genestealer and Terminator spawn end-caps.

Here is a distant view of a map with it:
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/5193/28683981.jpg

This is what it looks like zoomed in at 50%
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9821/63739064.jpg

If you wan't glowing jigsaw edges, like in the screenshots, download this file: (20 meg)

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1694147/JigsawGlowingEdges.zip

- Unzip it directly into your \tilesystem\SpaceHulk3E\ folder.

- It will overwrite a couple dozen files. (maybe back them up beforehand. In case you change your mind and want to put the old ones back)

- Fire up Tilesystem and load one of your maps. You should see glowing jigsaw edges between the map tiles.

When two tiles with jigsaw edges meet, only one draws. That is the edge that draws last. The order in which they draw depends on the order you created them. But it also changes when you simply select them. It doesn't really matter which edge is glowing, but you can tweak it if you want to. Just selecting a tile will cause it to sort to the top.

I also included a file called foobar.png. It is just the glowing edge by itself. If you have any homegrown tiles that you want to give a glowing edge, then this file is for you. Look at the other tiles to see how it works.

Hellebore
20-09-2009, 06:24
Is it possible to have it attached to the ends of the pieces? So that when you connect two it sits ontop of a piece? Perhaps in whatever order you built the tile (so the second tile placed is 'on top' of the first one)? If that requires absurd amounts of coding or whatever then forget about it.

The jigsaw pieces already have a green highlight around them, perhaps if it didn't disappear when the pieces were put together?

Hellebore

doghouse
20-09-2009, 08:26
That looks great mate, makes it much easier to see where the tiles start and end.

CRasterImage
20-09-2009, 09:01
Is it possible to have it attached to the ends of the pieces? So that when you connect two it sits ontop of a piece? Perhaps in whatever order you built the tile (so the second tile placed is 'on top' of the first one)?

In the immortal words of Buffy Summers: The Vampire Slayer

"Oh My GOD! I am so mentally challenged!"

Thank you, that was the ticket to easy street.

(before Hellebore's suggestion, I had made the glow effects into a tile all it's own. People would have had to go around pasting the damn things everywhere manually)

I can make it so that people wouldn't have to do anything special. I could just make an alternate set of .PNG files that had the highlight built into each jigsaw. The draw order will only show one edge, which works out perfect. I tried it on two tiles and here are the results: (you can also see the two tiles by themselves at the top. along with their glowing jigsaw edges.)

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/3468/63271018.jpg

So, is there a demand for this? Or would people prefer to stick with the unmolested .PNGs?

Weasel-Fierce
20-09-2009, 09:22
I, for one, would rather have the highlighted versions - makes putting the map together much easier when you're playing. I'd be in favour of actually replacing the un-highlighted ones altogether (at least in my copy of the programme, that is).

CRasterImage
20-09-2009, 10:40
I, for one, would rather have the highlighted versions

Roger, roger!

Ok, I released it. Check the original post for download link and instructions.

Znail
20-09-2009, 20:20
I dont think it hurts to keep both versions around! The unmolested ones are prettier :angel: But for easy setups so would the glowing edges help, so it depends a bit on what you want. [edit] If you print the map at a very high resolution anyway then I think the original ones are easy enuff to spot too. But if you just want a picture insert into a pdf with mission brief then the highlights may be needed to spot the tiles.

AndrewGPaul
20-09-2009, 22:35
How is the drawing order calculated? How does the program know doors go on top of rooms, even if I subsequently select the room tile?

AndrewGPaul
20-09-2009, 22:37
Also, this latest version is missing the new version of the 5x5 gantry piece from the old 2nd edition map. Is that deliberate?

CRasterImage
20-09-2009, 22:57
How is the drawing order calculated? How does the program know doors go on top of rooms, even if I subsequently select the room tile?

Each tile definition in the various .set files has a numerical sort attribute. Which has absolutte control over the draw order. Objects of like type are given the same sort number, so they can sort against each other arbitrarily. The order they were created in will place a tile at the end (on top) of others of like sort value. Selecting a tile, or multiple tiles, will sort them up to the top of any others of like sort value.

CRasterImage
20-09-2009, 22:58
Also, this latest version is missing the new version of the 5x5 gantry piece from the old 2nd edition map. Is that deliberate?

That was done as a special case, rather than being folded into the main tileset. Give me a minute and I will make an edged version.

CRasterImage
20-09-2009, 23:07
Ok, here he is with glowing jigsaw edges:

(replaced below with better version)

WildAnimal
21-09-2009, 15:59
how do I put that into the tile maker program?

CRasterImage
21-09-2009, 16:04
Place the image file in your "SpaceHulk3E" folder and add the following lines to your "Rooms.set" and/or "Rooms_2sets.set" file:

<Tile name="room5x52doorsgantry" sort="10" type="0" maxcount="1" warn="true">
SpaceHulk3E\room5x52doorsgantry.png
</Tile>

WildAnimal
21-09-2009, 16:18
OMG way to advanced :-)

You are making a complete final ALL tiles set version someday right?

It would also be real cool to make maps like in the 1st edition Mission booklet, Simple and easy to see.

CRasterImage
21-09-2009, 16:24
You mean a "All tiles from expansions and White Dwarf articles in 3rd edition format" tileset?

I was considering it, but someone else is working on it.

Also, someone is working on a strait 1st Edition tileset.

WildAnimal
21-09-2009, 16:36
Damn that sounds nice, but who are these "someones" ???

And they have a thread or something?

I think the new tileset is nice, but i like the 1st edition tile graphics much more, don't know why, just like the old set more. Im thinking about getting my old tiles glued to an extra layer of cardboard, so its more compatible with the new set. Just need to get some cardboard with the correct thickness. But back the hread. Tilemaker tiles :-).

What i see is very usefull is that you can design your own tiles, the .png file can both be used for printing the tile, and put into TileSystem program, without any work.

CRasterImage
21-09-2009, 16:50
AndrewGPaul is working on the 1st edition tileset. He mentions it here:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217976&page=7
at the bottom of page 7.

He hasn't made his own thread. But then he probably doesn't need the pressure.

grissom2006 is working on converting the 1st edition bits to 3rd edition.
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220202
He seems to be trying to use all new artwork, rather than copy-pasting 3rd edition artwork.

AndrewGPaul
21-09-2009, 17:15
Ideally, I'd like to have:
1st edition tileset, including tiles from Space Hulk, Deathwing, Genestealer and all the White Dwarf issues

2nd edition tileset, including tiles from Space Hulk and White Dwarf issues (and the one tile that was never actually published in a mission, but is shown in a WD anyway)

3rd edition tileset, as provided by CRasterImage

One big tileset, including all of the above (and possibly the Advanced Space Crusade hiveship boards).

No promises as to wheter I get round to that, though.

That 3rd edition-style gantry room bugs me. I know it's my fault for choosing the square room in the first place, but those bits of fan showing through the floor of the gantry pieces stand out to me. Ideally I'd find a transparent chickenwire-pattern texture and re-do the floor pieces properly, or re-do the tile using solid floor tiles.

CRasterImage
22-09-2009, 01:12
Hey, I just noticed that a guy named Marcin Zawiślak made a sexy 3rd edition of that tile:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/4jph3jeuq6/SH3_-_Duty_and_Honor_tiles.pdf

It has the proper see-through grating effect.
I don't know if it is the right size though.

Should I make a .png out of it?
Or do you still want to take a crack at designing it yourself?

CRasterImage
22-09-2009, 07:43
Here is that guy's tile in regular format
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/4169/room5x52doorsgantry.png

Here it is with glowing jigsaw edges:
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4169/room5x52doorsgantry.png

And even better news: He plans to convert all the expansion tiles to 3rd edition style!

AndrewGPaul
22-09-2009, 08:08
Go with that one; it's better than I could come up with.

CRasterImage
22-09-2009, 08:15
Don't forget to note: "And even better news: He plans to convert all the expansion tiles to 3rd edition style! "

Also, if anyone wants to use them, go ahead and save them over your existing .png. They are ready for prime time.

For anything else this guy makes, I think a proper package will be put together.

AndrewGPaul
22-09-2009, 08:17
I saw that. Cool if he does so.

I've got scans of all the Deathwing and Genestealer tiles in a 2nd ed style, so I could probably knock up a 2nd ed tileset without too much trouble. Annoyingly, I don't have good scans of those pieces in the original style.