PDA

View Full Version : Question : Psychic powers-

Max1mum
21-09-2009, 09:26
Hello everybody,

While playing mission VII 'the artifact' a buddy of mine managed to beat the ods and get off the board with the artifact firmly in his grasp.

I can take a loss, its oke but it did raise a rule question.

He did it by not using his psi points until the guy with the cup was within 24 steps from the exit point.

he then blew all his psi points in one go to generate a massive extra 20 command points and turbo-boost the cup-holder into the save zone.

Now the rules say that you are only allowed to use one psychic power a turn.
Is that saying that you can only use one type of power. Or that you can only do 'one psychic' action a turn ?.

TheSil
21-09-2009, 10:57
You can only do it once.

Would be pretty lame otherwise.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
21-09-2009, 14:35
Now the rules say that you are only allowed to use one psychic power a turn.
Is that saying that you can only use one type of power. Or that you can only do 'one psychic' action a turn ?.

Of course it meant only do one psychic action per turn, and not one type of power...to prevent the exact sort of silliness you just described.

wilsongrahams
22-09-2009, 09:09
You use one power, once, so get 1cp for the 1 psi point per turn.

This mission isn't all that hard anyway with ten turns worth of psychic block and six flamer shots available. That's sixteen corridors blocked off throughout the game.

TheSil
22-09-2009, 12:13
apart from the fact that no one has answered my question yet about the Stealers being able to run away with the artefact

grimcrazy
22-09-2009, 14:47
of cource steelers can run off with artifacts!
and terminators have to chase them down like Blood Bowl because they can't risk shooting ...

anyone seen the space hulk mugs on ebay? they have broodlords and terminators on them :)

anyone know if they are produced by GW?

GrogsnotPowwabomba
22-09-2009, 16:48
apart from the fact that no one has answered my question yet about the Stealers being able to run away with the artefact

In another thread I believe someone answered this, stating that only someone with a brick up their ass would argue that Genestealers can carry the artefact. This isn't 40K, so the rules-lawyering should be kept to a minimum...

TheSil
22-09-2009, 16:55
and later on the same brick-in-the-**** guy agreed that the rules in this area appear to be very strange and suggest otherwise

I'm certainly not going to rule-lawyer, its just that I would have liked a confirmation that everyone plays it this way. It does influence the mission pretty much so I wanted to ask before I "interpreted" rules that are not there in the first place...

Gdolkin
23-09-2009, 14:02
Pretty sure Genestealers can't pick up Objects, and the Artefact is an Object. They're smart predators and swift learners, but not quite sophisticated enough to grasp the relevance of the Artefact I reckon, and so are not allowed to pick it up and run off with it as it's out-of-character.

wilsongrahams
23-09-2009, 15:05
The rules state a 'model' automatically picks up an object and this implies that stealers CAN. Mission three states that the CAT is an object but Stealers cannot pick it up - an exception then?

However, I believe that there is no reason why the stealers would WANT to pick up and move the artifact - it's been there ten thousand years already without being touched. Despite the rules, I play that the wording intended was that MARINES should replace MODEL and it is any MARINE can automatically pick up the object. This is how I play and the game seems balanced enough and feels right this way - the terminators still have to get it back off the board anyway.
Always go for the spirit of the game if the rules are not clear.

Max1mum
24-09-2009, 06:27
regardless if the stealers could pick up the object or not...

i wouldn't play it like that. It would seriously throw away the balance. The map was designed with the object in a fixed place.

How ever, i would like to thank you guys for the answer to my question ;-).

Gdolkin
24-09-2009, 14:30
Yep, the rule book says 'models can carry objects', but the mission itself says 'genestealers can't pick up the artefact' so, either way is legit i guess.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
24-09-2009, 16:09
Always go for the spirit of the game if the rules are not clear.

Tell that to the rules-lawyers... :p

wilsongrahams
24-09-2009, 16:45
Tell that to the rules-lawyers... :p

Lol, well I play games cos they're fun whether I win or lose. I do understand that there are many who only play to win. Ever.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
24-09-2009, 17:05
I play to win, of course, but not at the expense of fun. I'm not sure why rules-lawyers can't understand this. Its baffled me for years in the GW hobby.