PDA

View Full Version : Sils new missions

TheSil
22-09-2009, 13:23
I plan to post a small series of new missions for Space Hulk. I really like designing missions and there are many things in this game that were not fully explored in the basic book.

The reason I open up a new thread for this is because I would really like to get feedback from you guys for each mission. My aim is to create fun, interesting and tight games and I have playtested each mission at least twice to make sure it is reasonably winnable with both sides and not completely broken. However I would like to improve them if necessary and make sure both sides have a fair chance of pulling the mission off and that if anything the challenge is on the Marine player.
So, I would be interested in your opinion on the difficulty of the map and how your game turned out should you play the map.

Regardless of the improving bit I really hope you can enjoy the missions posted here!

The first one is called High Pressure and the poor Marines are literally under... well pressure. The map gives the Chainfist a chance to shine a bit (for which I always found very limited use in most other games)

High Pressure (http://thesil.th.ohost.de/SpaceHulk/HighPressure.pdf)

Finally I would also like to thank CRasterImage for the excellent map making tool! Makes it really easy and fun to do this.

rev
22-09-2009, 14:47
Looks great, will try and test it out soon and feedback.

Out of interest, why 3 doors in the final escape and not one at each end of the corridor? Just curious.

rev

Zark the Damned
22-09-2009, 14:47
Looks an interesting mission - the chainfist comes into it's own here!

Although you need to proofread a bit more - what's a Stormcannon? ;)

TheSil
22-09-2009, 15:42
Out of interest, why 3 doors in the final escape and not one at each end of the corridor? Just curious.

well I thought a massive three-door construction looked kindof cool and it wouldn't be seen very often elsewhere. I think it helps to illustrate heavy pressure doors falling down and sealing off an area, doors that wouldn't be in place otherwise... that's why I used this construction twice
// also, on a balancing note, it should be more difficult to destroy three doors after dealing with the trapped Genestealers than before that and even more difficult since you can't move and shoot while moving down the long corridor (which you should think twice about with only one door because you would free the Stealers from their prison)

@Zark: in my defence I have the German version of the game so all expressions I used are more or less my own freestyle translations. And in German this weapon is indeed called a "Stormcannon". Thanks for the hint though, will change it to the correct English term ;)

/edit: You might also like to try changing the Genestealer reinforcements from 1-5 one blip to 1-6 one blip. I was never sure about that one, will make a final decision only after some more games or feedback

TheSil
24-09-2009, 06:51
The next thing I wanted to feature a bit more was the CAT scanner. It only appears once in the whole book and even then it has a rather limited role. I liked the idea that it could move around and potentially annoy one player, but was a bit disappointed that it started the game already in possession of the Marines, limiting the probability that it would ever move a lot.

Therefore I wanted a mission where the Marines really had to recover the CAT from behind enemy lines and where it would have enough space and time to make use of its three square movement in order to change the mission a bit every turn.

I would still be very much interested in your thoughts of any of the two maps and any outcome of your games.

Nazerth
26-09-2009, 22:59
I was just thinking about making a more recovery oriented CAT mission, but it looks like you saved me the trouble. Looks fun, I'll have to try it out sometime.

TheSil
29-09-2009, 08:52
Ladders are another thing notoriously underrepresented in the basic missions. Therefore in the next mission the Space Marines have to fight their way through a few ladders to secure the valuable tomb of a long dead battlebrother (again an object I wanted to use more than once)

From my playtesting experience both sides can have a solid victory on this map, depending on whether the Marines manage to secure a foothold on the upper level of the map. Still I have the feeling that sometimes the Marines can lose pretty badly, would be glad to find out what you think.

CRasterImage
29-09-2009, 09:25
Ooh! A three-leveler!

I like levels. Having to think in 3D while under time constraints is fun.

You are right, the ladders are not used much in the mission book. Even though the game comes with a bunch of them.

MajorOrk
29-09-2009, 16:56
TheSil, really like your missions so far, except getting beat by an 8 year old. I think he gets tired of hearing my "back when I played 1st Ed Space Hulk" stories and takes it out on me.

CRasterImage, your software rocks! So easy to what if without bring out the tiles. Oh and my 2 1/2 year old now knows how to drag and drop and rotate objects with the mouse!

I also like multilevel play. Back in the old days, we would get a sheet of plexiglass (or sometimes curio cabinet glass) and put the upper levels on those propped up on stacked books at each corner. Played one on a coffee table that was 7 levels and stood about 4 1/2 feet (1.6 meters?) tall. We would tape a string on the bottom of the upper glass under the appropriate ladder down square on a tile and tape the other end to the corresponding ladder up tile on the lower level. Also used ramps a couple of times.

Smitty
Lorton, Virginia USA

CRasterImage
29-09-2009, 17:04
2 and a half! :eek:

TheSil
03-10-2009, 07:34
I'm glad to hear that someone played and enjoyed the missions so far :)
(And that they seem to be reasonably balanced, apart from favouring 8 year olds ;))

My next mission is rather... big, and I really liked playing it
Its about 4 different groups of Marines all trying to reach the same destination.

It has been interesting to play because you seem to have many options... The Marine player has to choose which of his four squads makes use of command points and he can advance one faster than the others or all at the same pace, while a Genestealer has to choose how to spread his forces and he might want to deal with all threats equally or concentrate on one and wipe it out early in the game...

Also the map ticks a bit differently because the Stealers already have a sizeable starting force, but do not receive a whole lot of reinforcements so every blip lost early in the game might be felt later on... except of course they make good use of them to kill a few Marines.
The two additional blips in turn 6 were recently added for balancing reasons but so far I am not entirely sure if they are needed, every game has been a bit different so far... so, let me know how yours turned out :)

Hope you can enjoy Divide and Conquer (and be lucky enough to fit it on your table :p)