PDA

View Full Version : 3,000 Point Ard Boyz - Vampires - First Draft

Boondock
22-09-2009, 19:00
Hey everyone, here is the first draft of my list. All feedback both positive and negative is appreciated. Thanks.

Vampire Lord - 440 - GENERAL
- Magic Level 3
- Master of the Black Arts
- Dark Acolyte
- Summon Ghouls
- Flayed Hauberk
- Sword of Might
- Black Periapt
- Helm of Command

Vampire Lord - 400
- Magic Level 3
- Dread Knight
- Red Fury
- Infinite Hatred
- Book of Arkhan
- Balefire Spike

Vampire - 165
- Dark Acolyte
- Summon Ghouls
- Nightshroud

Vampire - 190
- Dread Knight
- Infinite Hatred
- Blood Drinker

Necromancer - 205
- Corpse Cart
- Balefire
- Power Stone
- Dispel Scroll

x20 Zombies - 80
x20 Zombies - 80
x11 Ghouls - 96
- Ghast
x10 Ghouls - 88
- Ghast
x7 Dire Wolves - 56

x19 Grave Guard - 277
- Standard/Champion
- War Banner
x5 Black Knights - 207
- Standard/Champion
- Barding
- Banner of Strigos

Varghulf - 175
x4 Cairn Wraiths - 225
- Banshee
x4 Blood Knights - 315
- Standard
- Banner of Blood Keep

Total: 2,999
PD: 15 (16) + 2 Bound, 1 Power Stone
DD: 9 (10) + 1 Scroll

I am thinking of switching out Master of the Black Arts for Infinite Hatred and Walking Death on my General. I think that would increase his survivability while not significantly harming my magic (14 power dice instead of 16).

Anyway, what do you think Warseer?

Malorian
22-09-2009, 19:09
Comments:

-why the night shroud on the rasing vampire? Just put him in the bunker and save points.

-although sometimes it looks good to have the necro on the cart (even join units) it's always better to have him in the bunker.

-drop at least one zombie unit for ghouls, this way you have a unit to guard either flank of the grave guard and have a bunker.

-I'd drop a wraith to get a couple more black knights

-Keep the lord as he is: a raising machine.

Boondock
23-09-2009, 00:13
The idea with the General and the Nightshroud Vamp was to stick them in the Grave Guard. This would make that unit x10 more scary, though it also exposes the General to some risk. The Nightshroud is in case challenges get issued, I can sacrifice a Vamp which may do a wound or two before going down as well as the GG Champion.

I like the idea of dropping a Zombie unit for Ghouls, I originally didn't do that because of models required, but the preliminary round at this particular store won't care if I substitute skeletons for raised ghouls.

I think the Lord is best set for a bunker set up, but if he goes in the Grave Guard unit, I think he would be better served with Infinite Hatred and Walking Death. Your thoughts on this?

Maoriboy007
23-09-2009, 00:57
No BSB? Might come in handy for a measly 25 points.

Boondock
23-09-2009, 14:20
I'm not sure it is nessecary. I have another character spot, but I don't have the points. I could upgrade the Nightshroud Vamp, but the BSB wouldn't do any good in a bunker.

If I go with both Vamps in the Grave Guard I could upgrade the Vamp to a BSB, but he'd be pretty easy to take down. Thoughts?

Boondock
23-09-2009, 21:48
I'm hoping for a little more feedback. The tourney is this weekend :(

Malorian
23-09-2009, 21:55
I'm not sure it is nessecary. I have another character spot, but I don't have the points. I could upgrade the Nightshroud Vamp, but the BSB wouldn't do any good in a bunker.

If I go with both Vamps in the Grave Guard I could upgrade the Vamp to a BSB, but he'd be pretty easy to take down. Thoughts?

No need to make it another character as it is a new book and thus allows BSBs to have anything they want (as long as it isn't a magical banner).

Drop the nightshroud armor and give it to the dread knight.

The CR will help and if you ever lose a combat it really makes it's points back quick when you aren't lossing that extra knight.

Boondock
23-09-2009, 21:59
What do you think of putting both Vampires in the Grave Guard instead a ghoul bunker behind the Grave Guard? I don't think Grave Guard are that powerful without characters...

Boondock
24-09-2009, 14:02
??????????????????

Malorian
24-09-2009, 14:27
Graveguard are fairly tough. I run the same unit you have (but with a musician and 1 more model) and they always do VERY well without characters. They just win through static res, break the enemy due to out number, and then run them down.

Vampires live and die on their magic. If you have weak vampires in the front ranks your opponent will just kill them (they are basically just 2 wound ghouls) and then your lines will quickly crumble as they lose the magical support.

Bunkers are a must for all but all out combat vampire builds.