PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Empire List

grumbaki
23-09-2009, 15:40
I'd like some advice on how you'd improve this list. The only thing is that I don't want to take a war altar or a steam tank. My idea is that I'd like to have a strong list with no wasted points while at the same time not being cheesy.

Heroes
* Captain: Pegasus, Aldred's Casket of Sorcery, Full Plate, Shield, Pistol (155)
* Warrior Priest: Barded Warhorse, Heavy Armor, Enchanted Shield, Hammer of Judgment (148)
* Warrior Priest: Armor of Meteoric Iron, Great Hammer-General (119)
* Mage: lvl 2, wizard's staff, dispel scroll (135)

My idea for the heroes is this: The captain flies around trying to steal the enemy's best spells/hunts warmachines. The mounted warrior priest gives hatred to the knights, making them into a real hammer unit. The mage can use all 4 power dice, which hopefully can get me off a spell or two that will eat up dispel scrolls/dice, and the warrior priest on foot will give hatred to the spearman and will try to give the hochland long rifle hammer of Sigmar. With re-rolling to hit and to wound rolls, he can try to snipe mages, champions and maybe BSBs.

I also hope that between the casket stealing spells, 4 dispel dice and 1 scroll then I should have enough magic defense.

* 24 Spearmen: Shields, Full Command (144)
-10 Swordsmen: Detachment (60)
* 10 Huntsmen: Marksman (105)
* 10 Handgunners: Marksman with Hochland Long Rifle (105)
* 10 Crossbowmen: Marksman (85)
* 14 Flagellants: Prophet of Doom (150)

For the core choices I think that it might be a bit light on block troops, but I do like the idea of having bows, crossbows and handguns in the same army. Any advice for this would be welcome.

* 5 Inner Circle Knights: Full Command, Banner of Arcane Warding (200)
* 5 Pistoliers: Marksman with Repeater Pistol (114)
* Cannon (100)
* Cannon (100)

The knights are my hammer, as they have hatred, str 6 on the charge. 1+ AS and MR2 means that they hopefully will survive to actually reach the enemy. The magic resistance is especially important to me, as I'd hate to lose them to Spirit of the Forge, Flickering Fire or any spell that doesn't allow armor saves. As for the pistoliers, they have never let me down. The cannons are there especially to take down chariots and monsters.

* Helblaster Volley Gun: (110)

Helblasters have a tendency to blow up or underperform. I hope though that with only one infantry block, the two helblasters can reduce the numbers of enemy infantry to the point where they cease to be a threat. I'm tempted to replace one Helblaster with a Rocket Battery though.

So what advice would you give me on how to improve this list?

Jind_Singh
23-09-2009, 17:08
I'd like some advice on how you'd improve this list. The only thing is that I don't want to take a war altar or a steam tank. My idea is that I'd like to have a strong list with no wasted points while at the same time not being cheesy.

Heroes
* Captain: Pegasus, Aldred's Casket of Sorcery, Full Plate, Shield, Pistol (155)
* Warrior Priest: Barded Warhorse, Heavy Armor, Enchanted Shield, Hammer of Judgment (148)I would be tempted to get von horstmans speculum for one of these guys incase you come across a real ugly out there
* Mage: lvl 2, wizard's staff, dispel scroll (135)I woudl say that his chances of pulling off spells are almost next to none - even with the casket that steals spells and 2 warrior priests - i might be tempted to drop him to basic level 1, and use the points elsewere

My idea for the heroes is this: The captain flies around trying to steal the enemy's best spells/hunts warmachines. The mounted warrior priest gives hatred to the knights, making them into a real hammer unit. The mage can use all 4 power dice, which hopefully can get me off a spell or two that will eat up dispel scrolls/dice, and the warrior priest on foot will give hatred to the spearman and will try to give the hochland long rifle hammer of Sigmar. With re-rolling to hit and to wound rolls, he can try to snipe mages, champions and maybe BSBs.

I also hope that between the casket stealing spells, 4 dispel dice and 1 scroll then I should have enough magic defense.

* 24 Spearmen: Shields, Full Command (144)some hate spears, but I think the extra attacks really help put sometimes
-10 Swordsmen: Detachment (60)I would trade these for 10 more handgunners - one combat detachment is enough
* 14 Flagellants: Prophet of Doom (150)even 10 are fine - these guys just basically tie up a unit for a turn or 2 before dying - so might as well save the 40pts and use then elsewere

For the core choices I think that it might be a bit light on block troops, but I do like the idea of having bows, crossbows and handguns in the same army. Any advice for this would be welcome.

* 5 Inner Circle Knights: Full Command, Banner of Arcane Warding (200)dicey but I see why you are going with command - magic defence for the knights
* Cannon (100)
* Cannon (100)
never a problem with 2 cannons, no sir!
The knights are my hammer, as they have hatred, str 6 on the charge. 1+ AS and MR2 means that they hopefully will survive to actually reach the enemy. The magic resistance is especially important to me, as I'd hate to lose them to Spirit of the Forge, Flickering Fire or any spell that doesn't allow armor saves. As for the pistoliers, they have never let me down. The cannons are there especially to take down chariots and monsters.

mmm, this is were I disagree - hellbalsters are awesome, but I think personally I would take a hell blaster and the rocket launcher - your army is small in numbers so against horde armies you'll need a fast and effective way of reducing the unit sizes - the big str 5 template is ideal for this. Yes it is risky as it scatters twice but with the kind of army your fielding I feel that you need to take this chance
Helblasters have a tendency to blow up or underperform. I hope though that with only one infantry block, the two helblasters can reduce the numbers of enemy infantry to the point where they cease to be a threat. I'm tempted to replace one Helblaster with a Rocket Battery though.

So what advice would you give me on how to improve this list?

By dropping level 1 and 4 flaggies you free up enough to bump up your knights - they will get picked on so need to be at least 1-2 bigger in unit size.
You could also grab another unit of pistolliers/outriders with those pts instead to give you more options on the field - your units will have to be carefull as there is not much to support each other with.
On the whole though its a cool list as it is a thinking mans list - you have enough to make it happen but will have to be crafty as hell to pull of the suprises.
My worries though are against horde armies and speed armies - you wont get the time needed to soften them up with firepower - so beware!
Good luck mate

grumbaki
24-09-2009, 13:55
"By dropping level 1 and 4 flaggies you free up enough to bump up your knights - they will get picked on so need to be at least 1-2 bigger in unit size.
You could also grab another unit of pistolliers/outriders with those pts instead to give you more options on the field - your units will have to be carefull as there is not much to support each other with.
On the whole though its a cool list as it is a thinking mans list - you have enough to make it happen but will have to be crafty as hell to pull of the suprises.
My worries though are against horde armies and speed armies - you wont get the time needed to soften them up with firepower - so beware!
Good luck mate "

Thanks for the advice. Below is my attempt to make some changes. I'd love to have a second unit of pistoliers or outriders, but unfortunately I just don't have the models. Similarily I've used up all my models with missile weapons, so no more handgunners for me. As such I think that I'll keep the second swordsman detachment, if for no other reason than I can use them as a sacrificial unit and as a backup incase the other one gets wiped out.

Heroes
* Warrior Priest: Barded Warhorse, Heavy Armor, Shield, Sword of Might, Von Horstman's Speculum (160)
* Mage: lvl 1, wizard's staff, dispel scroll (100)

* 24 Spearmen: Shields, Full Command (144)
* 12 Flagellants: Prophet of Doom (130)

* 7 Inner Circle Knights: Full Command, Banner of Arcane Warding (244)
* Cannon (100)
* Cannon (100)

* Rocket Battery: (115)

Total: 1996

-------------

So this is the updated list. The Rocket Battery has been put in, and the mounted warrior priest now has Von Horstman's. Seeing as how there are a fair number of chaos warrior players at my store this is probably a good thing, and with hatred str 5 I suppose he can still hurt people by himself. The flagellants are also 12 strong, simply because I had 24 points left over that I wasn't sure how to use. Plus the extra attack could come in handy.

Looking at the list now though, I see that I've got alot of points tied up in my knight block. 404 points to be exact, which is 1/5 of my army. Then again, I've seen chaos lords at 2k who have cost that much.

So thanks again and wish me luck. Now all I've got to do is find someone to use this against. :)