PDA

View Full Version : Space Hulk as an introductory game

BobtheInquisitor
02-10-2009, 00:10
We all know that the early editions of Space Hulk introduced many new players to WH40k, but what about the new edition? Sure, it's expensive and only gamers who know about 40k are likely to have even heard of the new edition release, but does it still do a good job introducing the game for any newbies who play it? What are your experiences?

I'll tell you mine: I bought the game because I enjoy the models and fluff of 40k, but can never quite get around to gaming. My wife has no interest in 40k outside of painting the models, but I really wanted to get her more involved in the hobby. She refused to play BFG (too complicated), and only tried Battle for Macragge for a few minutes before deciding she really didn't like playing with models, especially violent ones. So, I thought I would introduce her to gaming 40k through Space Hulk.

She was skeptical at first, but now she's come to love Space Hulk and looks forward to playing it all the time, as long as she can be the Tyranids. The game is balanced enough to allow us to play a single mission ten times or more before it gets old, and the rules are mostly just complex enough to make the game interesting without causing too many head-scratching moments...mostly.

Is there a good chance that we can 'graduate' from Space Hulk to playing wh40k as it is meant to be played? Or do you think the board game is just too different from the tabletop game?

torn
02-10-2009, 00:46
i honestly think boardgaming (even with miniatures) and wargaming are completely different. Lets face it i know i used to love 40k (2nd ed) and still enjoy fantasy battle, but you dont get the same thrills you do when playing spacehulk, or even bloodbowl.

i would say a better introduction to wargaming would be skirmish games, such as necromunda and gorkamorka, although lets face it they are again more fun than the now ruined 40k ruleset.

And as for getting your partner interested, i gave up on that a long time ago. I now life with the theory that its good to have some seperate interests lol.

edit: I also forgot to mention i did have the original space hulk before i had 2nd ed 40k, which was quite a while ago. I dont think it got me into the wargaming, but it did get me interested in the 40k universe, and everything progressed from there.

Znail
02-10-2009, 03:41
Dont fret so much about it. You want to play 40k with your wife, but you obviously dont want to force her to do something she doesnt like. As long as you make both of those clear so will it be up to her what she wants to do. As its not realy in your hands so should you let it go some and not think about it too much.

MajorOrk
02-10-2009, 14:48
I play Space Hulk with my 7 & 8 year olds (and get beat a LOT). If they migrate to the more complicated 40k as they get older, so be it. For now though they just like to set up there own mock battles with my Orks and Imperial Guard, with the occasional D&D dragon thrown in for good measure, or a Star Wars miniatures AT-AT, or AT-43 figures...you get the picture.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
02-10-2009, 20:23
Or do you think the board game is just too different from the tabletop game?

This...I have many friends that love Space Hulk who would never touch Fantasy or 40K. The beauty of Space Hulk is its simplicity, something the other games sorely lack.

mattjgilbert
04-10-2009, 08:44
I agree with others that they are very different ways of gaming. If wargaming is going to happen, it will come naturally I should think. You probably want to explore the boardgame aspects more to build an interest in themes and background and then see where that takes you.
Bloodbowl could be a good next step but also consider games from other manufacturers too.

Bregalad
04-10-2009, 09:49
It would have been the perfect introductory game to lower the hurdle playing tabletop games (as it perfectly did in the past), and many people me included demanded a rerelease for years for that reason, with advertising and a broader distribution to attract new customers. But GW screw it with their anti-marketing and limited release. Still makes no sense to me.

Imperius
04-10-2009, 15:19
If the Space Hulk was still being sold, people would be buying it almost as often as often as the starter sets.

Sadly, I did not get one in time.