PDA

View Full Version : Close Assault questions

BobtheInquisitor
02-10-2009, 03:46
Does your model's turn end after a Close Assault action?

If you kill your opponent and your model still has APs, can you continue moving or attack another model?

If your genestealer attacks a marine, and the combat is a tie (or a loss with the marine facing away from you) and you still have action points left, can you attack again? Or ar you stuck sitting in front of the amrine until your next turn?

Cpt. Drill
02-10-2009, 04:25
No.

Yes.

You can attack as long as you have AP's.

Patriarch
02-10-2009, 10:15
It's not like 40k where you can be locked in combat. You are free to move away, attack someone else, return to attack the first target etc. As long as you have the APs/CPs for whatever you want to do, there are no restrictions.

eriochrome
02-10-2009, 17:24
As noted above attacking does not end your action so a lucky stealer can kill right through a line of marines. Another thing to remember is that if you are attacking a marine from the side or rear in a room that even if they win that just lets them face you. You can then use an action point to move diagonally and turn to be back to their flank. They can spend a command point to follow you but command points are pretty precious. You can force them to burn CPs this way or just let you attack the sides. Since non of the special CC upgrades work for the marines on the side if you can jump them in a room it makes life end a lot quicker for those sergeants or librarian.

BobtheInquisitor
02-10-2009, 18:02
Are you sure the sergeants don't get to parry a stealer attacking from the side? That seems to reduce the usefulness of "Guard Actions" quite a bit.

eriochrome
02-10-2009, 18:29
Guard works from the side and rear but none of the other close combat affects do. No +1 for sergeant, no parry, no block, no +1 for hammer, no 2d6+1 for lightening claws, no psi points for librarian. Getting any of these guys jumped in a room or behind drops them right back to standard marines as far as I can tell.

I messed up these rules a couple of times in my Math Hulk stuff at

http://twilight40k.blogspot.com/

still need to go back and clean it up as I fixed most but still missed that Libs cannot use points except to the front.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
02-10-2009, 20:21
Are you sure the sergeants don't get to parry a stealer attacking from the side? That seems to reduce the usefulness of "Guard Actions" quite a bit.

What part of the sentence "When fighting a close assault to his front a Space Marine armed with a power sword can parry..." leads you to believe that he can parry attacks to his side and rear?

BobtheInquisitor
03-10-2009, 06:56
What part of the sentence "When fighting a close assault to his front a Space Marine armed with a power sword can parry..." leads you to believe that he can parry attacks to his side and rear?

Hmmm. I read that section twice, but I just didn't remember "to his front" being a part of it.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
03-10-2009, 15:32
Hmmm. I read that section twice, but I just didn't remember "to his front" being a part of it.

That's cool. He does get his +1 in combat from any side though! :)

eriochrome
03-10-2009, 19:48
That's cool. He does get his +1 in combat from any side though! :)

Actually he does not get this either.

"add +1 to their dice score in a close assault against an enemy to the front"

Bottom Column 1 page 14.

Pretty much all the marines are reduced to squat if attacked to the sides or rear.

mattjgilbert
04-10-2009, 08:34
Indeed. The additional Thunderhammer bonus is also only when fighting to the front.
This is a change from 1st ed where a marine sergenat got the +1 bonus no matter what his facing was.

wilsongrahams
04-10-2009, 11:14
I think many of these misunderstandings are from people who knew the older versions and upon reading the new book have not read what is written but what they think is still written. I have made similar mistakes myself in the past concerning the assault cannon where I believed one burst could kill more than one target - I combined the old burst and full auto into one and only got it right after re-reading the book after it came up.