PDA

View Full Version : Overwatch versus the GS "conga line"

MajorOrk
02-10-2009, 19:50
Basically, when a GS player has a number of GS's lined up one behind the other ready to charge a SM on overwatch, does he have to move the first GS in line completly until he dies or closes with the SM and eats him before the GS player can move the next GS in line? or can the others follow along as long as you keep track of APs spent? To illustrate it is now the GS player's turn:

Soooo...what should or can he do?

Version1

GS#1 moves to tile C; SM misses. GS moves to tile D; SM misses. GS moves to tile E; SM kills him. Does the GS player have to move GS#1 entirely before he can move GS#2? If yes, then GS#2 can be shot at moving to tiles, C, D and E.

Or can he do Version 2?

GS#1 moves to tile C and GSs#2,3,4,and 5 move up one AP (thus the conga line analogy); SM misses. GS#1 moves to tile D and GSs#2,3,4,and 5 move up one AP again ; SM misses. GS#1 moves to tile E and GSs#2,3,4,and 5 move up one AP again; this time SM kills GS#1. Now GS#2 having been ******* to elbow with GS#1 is already at tile C.

Main difference is that in version 1, each GS gets shot at three times before he gets to tile E . Whereas, in version 2, only GS#1 gets shot at 3 times. The following GSs have the benefit of #1 as cover.

In an even longer hallway this makes a BIG difference when the SM misses the first 4 or in some cases 5 shots.

I've been playing using Version 2.

Comments appreciated.

Smitty
Lorton, VA USA

nedius
02-10-2009, 20:13
Afraid not.

Each stealer has to complete their move before the next one starts. So yes, in game turns, they all run down the coridor one at a time, rather than in one huge rush.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
02-10-2009, 20:18
Instead of spending 10 minutes to draw pictures and write a lengthy post, you could have spent 2 minutes reading the (very small) rulebook and found your answer at the beginning of the "Actions" section.

Yet another thread that could have been avoided by simply reading the rulebook...

eriochrome
02-10-2009, 20:49
You could of course choose to stop the first genestealer at square d if he is still alive and the bolter is not jammed. Then you move up the rest right behind since the front stealer blocks line of sight. You made progress toward him and he will then be forced to spend his action trying to kill the close stealers and go on overwatch again. At best he will kill 1 or 2 stealers move back a space and have to use command points to get back on overwatch.

mattjgilbert
02-10-2009, 21:17
Yep - sometimes it's better to survive a couple of overwatch shots and then act as a blocker to LOS so the models and blips behind you can move into position for another turn - build up a threat rather than waste the resources you have...

MajorOrk
02-10-2009, 22:19
nedius, erichrome and mattjgilbert - that's what I figured. Yes I did read the rules (been playing since 1st Ed), but some new players made the point and I thought I'd ask.

erichrome and mattjgilbert - good strategy

grogsnotPowwabomba - you obviously have issues

AndrewGPaul
02-10-2009, 23:44
His only issue is seeing questions over and over again asking about something clearly spelled out in the rulebook. :)

GrogsnotPowwabomba
03-10-2009, 00:07
His only issue is seeing questions over and over again asking about something clearly spelled out in the rulebook. :)

Exactly :chrome:

torn
03-10-2009, 00:47
i think the point is sometimes the rulebook isnt perfectly clear, in any miniatures game, and when different people have different interpretations of the rules its always worthwhile checking to see if you are right, even if you are 99% sure you are.

Lets face it by posting this thread majorork hurts nobody, has started a discussion not only of the primary question but it evolved into the best methods to advance into overwatch, and of which you are not forced to read and then add derogatory comments that add nothing to the actual discussion. Its just a childish reaction, clearly by somebody who takes internet forums too seriously.

grg3d
03-10-2009, 13:42
Yep, nedius had the right answer and for the rest of the posts....we would not know that they have god like powers if they didn't post :eyebrows:

AndrewGPaul
04-10-2009, 10:39
i think the point is sometimes the rulebook isnt perfectly clear, in any miniatures game, and when different people have different interpretations of the rules its always worthwhile checking to see if you are right, even if you are 99% sure you are.

True, but in this case, page 11 of the rules spells it out clearly. :)

DoomedDiceThrower
04-10-2009, 16:40
Instead of spending 10 minutes to draw pictures and write a lengthy post, you could have spent 2 minutes reading the (very small) rulebook and found your answer at the beginning of the "Actions" section.

Yet another thread that could have been avoided by simply reading the rulebook...

I found it very charming that he put so much effort into illustrating his problem, big kudos from me. And you can' beat live community versus dead literature. ;)

TheEndIsHere
04-10-2009, 18:37
E-MANCE!

YOU ARE BACK!!!

btw I think his drawings are nice.