PDA

View Full Version : Guild wars

x-esiv-4c
11-05-2005, 14:36
Hi,
Does anyone play this game? Whats it like? Is cheating a big issue like back in the days of Diablo 1?

Thanks muchly.

Cheesejoff
11-05-2005, 14:46
I've not played it but i've heard it's very good. I'm considering buying it myself so I'd like to hera people's opinions too!

Kjell
11-05-2005, 15:16
I recommend checking sites dedicated to it, but here's a quick and limitied summay:

You only ever have up to eight skills with you in the non-town world. All skills are useful, the profession combinations are pretty much balanced and what build you want is far more up to your own tastes than in other games. Initially, you start with only a few skills. As you progress through the PvE portion you unlock more skills through doing quests.

Gear is not monumentally important. It does have an impact but far less so than in, say, WoW or EQ. There's a few issues, but they are minor when compared to previous games. All armour is customized for your character so you can't go around selling it. Well, technically you can, but it won't do the buyer any good.

Crafting, exists. But not as a skill. You go talk to an NPC that'll make armour out of the materials you bring. That's pretty much all there is in the way of crafting.

Now, PvP... This is a large part of the game. You can play PvE all you want (technically called RP) but there are only 20 levels. THere's a whole bunch of quests, but it eventually ends. You can start PvP before you've even played PvE at all but it's not recommended. You see, unless you want to use one of the already existing builds offered, you don't have a lot of skills to give your custom character. The skill library has to be unlocked in PvE. Every time you get a new skill through quess, that skill is now unlocked for any custom PvP character able to use it. It takes a little while to get the really good skills but it's fairly quick to unlock a decent amount especially if you have dual professions. Also, there's really no powerlevelling. All PvP-only characters start at the maximum level, 20.

Now! My personal experiences! I don't have the game yet, but I've been allowed to borrow a friend's account. I made an Elementalist, the closest thing to a traditional mage the game has. I have four attributes: Fire, Earth, Air and Water magic, and Energy Storage. The first four are available to anyone picking Elementalist as their secondary profession, but the fifth is exclusive. All professions has an attribute that's exclusive to them. Currently, I have more attribute points in Fire magic and Energy Storage than anything else. Fire magic makes my fire spells more effective, and that's mostly what you have to rely on early on. Energy Storage increases the amount of Energy, mana, that I can have. Elementalists are normally the ones with the most Energy. That doesn't make them superior casters, but then can go on for longer. My secondary profession is Mesmer, the trickster profession. Mesmer skills are about disrupting the enemy, and I figured that some of those would be good for my fairly squishy little mage. I do love an active defence. :D

Well, this all turned out more than a little rambly, heh. If there's anything I've missed, just tell me. I'd be more than happy to answer questions, as good as I can anyhow.

EDIT: I almost forgot to say that the game is good. Very good, even. Well worth it, especially since there is no monthly fee.

Drabant
11-05-2005, 15:34
Anyone know how many chars you can have?

Kjell
11-05-2005, 16:02
Anyone know how many chars you can have?
You can have four per account. Also, in the game there's a storage facility that spans all of your characters. You can put various items you know that your other character/s would have more use of there.

f2k
17-05-2005, 07:13
I’ve had this game for a week or so…

It is a cooperative game. Even in the first training area you will eventually encounter quest that simply cannot be completed unless you have a team working together. And, from what I’ve read about the latter portions of the game, you will find that it becomes nearly impossible to progress without a team to back you up.

So, unless you have a few friends to play with, this might not be a game for you…

That being said, how about setting up a Portent Guild?

Kjell
17-05-2005, 20:53
To be honest, in the beginning area there's only a single quest that you need to get someone else in order to complete. And that quest is basically to teach people how to start a team. Pre-searing is a tutorial, anyway. :p

I can't comment on late missions being hard, though, since I haven't actually played them.

neXus6
18-05-2005, 01:15
There are so many good online games out now, I really need to buy a new computer and make use of my broadband connection.
My current PC is a wreck...it's fallen appart to the stage where it can word process and thats about it. I used to be able to use it for surfing the net but it's been hit with a couple of virus' and spywares that refuse to die that make using the net next to impossible.

*cries*
:p I'll get a new PC one day, and then I shall lose my social life that has sprung up over the years of PC delapidation.

Cheesejoff
18-05-2005, 08:55
There are so many good online games out now, I really need to buy a new computer and make use of my broadband connection.
My current PC is a wreck...it's fallen appart to the stage where it can word process and thats about it. I used to be able to use it for surfing the net but it's been hit with a couple of virus' and spywares that refuse to die that make using the net next to impossible.

*cries*
:p I'll get a new PC one day, and then I shall lose my social life that has sprung up over the years of PC delapidation.

You could try wiping the hard drive with your boot disk. You'd lose all your data but the viruses would be gone. Then once you get everything back install anti-virus softaware immediately.

Antaeus
18-05-2005, 11:31
I like the look of Guild Wars and I'm going to try and get hold of a copy. Their website www.guildwars.com is very good, plenty of information and doubled my interest in getting hold of it.

If a Portent Guild was set up, I'd be very interested :)

f2k
21-05-2005, 20:17
Well, since no one else have done so, I’ve set up a guild myself: The Guild of Clueless Players [GoCP].

Why clueless? Because: 1) I really am clueless when it comes to this sort of games and 2) I thought it sounded funny.

Any and all of you are more than welcome to join…