PDA

View Full Version : how many sets do you to play with?

nedius
07-10-2009, 13:40
I was wondering this as I've been designing some maps. For a real freedom of creation, I started to feel that two sets would be the needed, as the number of corners and junctions that you get in the set is actually pretty small.

So, how many tilesets do you have available to play with? I have two sets, but one I hoped to keep as a collectable, rather than as a playable set. So really, I'm back to one set! As I'm desigining a number of missions, it became clear that I'd start needing an extra set to realise some of my mission. If I was to release the campaign, then others would need a simmilar number of extra sets. Got me wonderng how many people actually had two, or more, sets!

How many do you have available to you?

spaint2k
07-10-2009, 13:46
I play with one set, but I've bought a nice amount of extra tiles for a good price to bulk out my set a little.

Leeman Russ
07-10-2009, 14:52
I've bought 2 sets, although I've yet to punch out the second set's worth of tiles.

Znail
07-10-2009, 15:04
Well, I have a second edition set to add tiles from. But I think the tiles from one set makes for pretty big maps and using more then that would cause trouble for most to fit on a table. Unless the problem is that you want to use many of the same tiles for a special map.

wilsongrahams
07-10-2009, 18:17
I have two third ed sets and a second ed set. I would only use the second ed ones as a seperate level and not mixed directly though. I wanted two sets as I like to create maps with loads of rooms and not just endless corridors as ships are made of rooms with corridors joining them. I like symmetry too so having the extra tiles helps.

nedius
07-10-2009, 20:49
My problem has been corners. I run out of them pretty quickly.

I have two sets of 1st ed tiles, and 1 set of 3rd ed tiles that I'm using. However, I only play at my LGS, so I guess I could borrow theirs if needs be.

mattjgilbert
07-10-2009, 21:27
I have only one set of 3rd ed.. but two sets of 1st ed which I can add if I really need to. They fit together fine but they obviously look totally different.

hereticdave
08-10-2009, 13:22
2 sets for me having just grabbed a second box on the weekend :)

grg3d
08-10-2009, 13:54
I have one set but I'm making my own 3d set so it will be unlimited

thefan
08-10-2009, 16:51
At this time with the group I am playing with me are at 1 set. They are progressing very well and soon we will be expanding into campiagn compendium and older rules.

Currently have to use and will be using in one way or another

x2 3rd edit space hulks not that you need 2 sets but one will be going up for trade and sale on other sites
x2 1st edit
x1 genestealer
x2 deathwing
x1 advanced space crusade

There are some nice missions in old WDs and campaign compendium. A lot from issues 114-138 WD are in the Compendium. So I would buy one or the other not both unless your a completest.

3D s the way to go. So probably most of the boardsections and doors will go up for sale to recoup money. I am so glad a accidently came across the new Space Hulk. I was out for a long time but now I have been pulled back in again. ARGH!!!! Don

grissom2006
08-10-2009, 18:51
I used to play with 6 sets of the 1st Edition.

torn
08-10-2009, 20:26
ive got 2 sets, and then a few extra tiles, so about 2.5 sets really, enough i think for any map up to about 4 players.

scarletsquig
08-10-2009, 21:14
Just the one, if I ever get into the game enough to want bigger maps then I'll get hirst art's space hulk moulds and do a proper job of it.

Roguebaron
08-10-2009, 21:31
I have all the origional sets and I've been using those as well as some of the origional maps just for the heck of it, I have two sets of the new ones, but have yet to puch one of them out.

TheSil
09-10-2009, 06:42
My problem has been corners. I run out of them pretty quickly.

Well you can always use a T or X intersection to make corners if you run out of them... simply use the various end bits to seal off the unwanted openings and you are fine...

The moment you run out of corners is usually the moment you run out of every intersection you have

I have only one set and I am really fine with it, you can even design pretty big missions (e.g. my Divide and Conquer map from "sils new missions" thread).

I have also taken a closer look at a campaign someone posted here that was realised with two sets, and discovered that with one or two minor tile-swaps every mission I looked at could have also been done with only one set

nedius
11-10-2009, 22:20
Well, the whole reason I asked was because I'm making a campaign based on the PC game (the original one) by EA.

This is my version of one of the maps from the game, and this isn't the biggest of them...

http://nedius.webs.com/mega%20map.jpg

It uses some of the pdf tiles released based on tiles from 1st ed, and white dwarf campaigns.

I figure that to make this map, you need three sets. It's actually 3 maps from earlier missions combined into one. the game used this map 3 times. I've used the 'one set' method to create versions of this level that concentrate just on the main objective area - so focusing on the final moments of the mission..

However, if you can play this map, you can actually play the first 6 missions in one go, as one massive game - something which I've made suggestions as how to do in my campaign book.

I was just curious how many people out there would be able to give such a big mission a go!

Teufelskerl
12-10-2009, 20:31
I've been a longtime SH player. I own probably a dozen sets of tiles total; there are two or three sets for each edition, then multiple copies of the expansions. I also collected multiple copies of the special tiles released in WD.

I could easily do the large map that nedius posted except for one item; I'm not certain I have a table large enough. Hmmm...perhaps if I take my folding tables and put them one next to each other...now I just need a room large enough to put that many folding tables up at once (which is not going to happen. Tables and tiles I have, space I dont.)

Frederich

nedius
12-10-2009, 20:56
it needs a 7x4 foot table to play, so just a little bigger than a normal gaming table.

Znail
14-10-2009, 18:50
I vaguely remember playing on that map :) But the big question is what exactly is needed for it. Apart from the large corridor tiles so doesnt it look larger then what 2 sets could do. So I guess there is some specific tiles that runs out? Relatively few (from the poll) have more then 2 sets. But I think more and more will be printing out the custom tiles and if its just a few special tiles missing then those could be done too.

I think its a very good idea to make maps for the missions from the cumputer game. Its fun to try them in the boardgame and we get the background story for free.

I guess the map could be split up some for those without multiple sets.

Teufelskerl
14-10-2009, 19:17
it needs a 7x4 foot table to play, so just a little bigger than a normal gaming table.

I'd been thinking that it'd need an 4x8 (which would be my two long tables put together), so I was at least correct that I have the tables, just not the space.

While I haven't looked at the map closely enough to actually count, at first look I thought a complete 1st edition set (Main, Genestealer, and Deathwing) would be enough to complete the map. However, on second glance I think you'll need two Main sets to put down all of the corridors; nedius would be able to tell us exactly what was needed.

I encourage nedius to publish the campaign, I will certainly dl it and us it to inspire me to make enough room to lay it all out.

Frederich

nedius
19-10-2009, 12:02
If I remember correctly, It think that you may actually need three sets to do this mission, although it can be slighly modified to make it work with only two.

Removing three of the four entry points in the top left corner I think provides you with enough to do the rest of the level.

For each mission in the campaign book I'm making I'll be providing between 2 and 4 maps. A 1 set version, a 2 set version, an 'unlimited' set version (all the extra tiles, 2+ normal sets etc) and the actually game map. Many of the missions featured unusual layouts that cannot be easily replicated with tiles. Some of them I'm trying to make myself, in a similar way to those new tiles already released.

Anyway, some of the later missions get really big. I'm doing my best to keep them to two sets, but in at lest two of them it's hard to limit them to three...

So far I have 18 missions mapped using 1, 2 or unlimited sets, with all the mission guidance, campaign info etc. I've stuck to the main maps all being 1 set, as the survey here suggests that this is what is most common.

EmperorNorton
19-10-2009, 15:13
So far I have only played the first mission, so 1 set.
I have a second set of the tiles, but as I'm not likely to ever get down to make my own scenarios, I'm not sure there is much of a point keeping it.

Znail
20-10-2009, 07:27
If I remember correctly, It think that you may actually need three sets to do this mission, although it can be slighly modified to make it work with only two.

Removing three of the four entry points in the top left corner I think provides you with enough to do the rest of the level.

For each mission in the campaign book I'm making I'll be providing between 2 and 4 maps. A 1 set version, a 2 set version, an 'unlimited' set version (all the extra tiles, 2+ normal sets etc) and the actually game map. Many of the missions featured unusual layouts that cannot be easily replicated with tiles. Some of them I'm trying to make myself, in a similar way to those new tiles already released.

Anyway, some of the later missions get really big. I'm doing my best to keep them to two sets, but in at lest two of them it's hard to limit them to three...

So far I have 18 missions mapped using 1, 2 or unlimited sets, with all the mission guidance, campaign info etc. I've stuck to the main maps all being 1 set, as the survey here suggests that this is what is most common.

Sounds awesome! Post the files asap :)

Wickey the Viking
03-11-2009, 18:11
I play with one set, but I've bought a nice amount of extra tiles for a good price to bulk out my set a little.
Same here. Got me about 25 extra pieces for 10 euro's, including shipping.

leeoaks
27-11-2009, 19:11
i only play with one set. i have 4 i am selling 3 of them as i'm not that interested in it!