PDA

View Full Version : Best noob army for Warhammer

Dominion
11-05-2005, 17:05
just wondering. im quite interested in warhammer.

Riddy
11-05-2005, 17:12
Chaos, it may be the most over used and easy to powergame with, but it has the largest amout of choice and if you get a half deacent list together it is the most forgiving army, meaning you can still win games even after a couple of minor mistakes.

I think i made them sound like marines :-\

tzeentchgiant
11-05-2005, 17:20
Hmmmmmmmm I disagree

A better army to start with would be something like Lizard men or Orcs, I think it's just that all the big shiny stuff of chaos is appealing to new gamers, not that it actually benefits them,

TG

Dominion
11-05-2005, 17:23
i 'm not really interested in orcs or chaos, i kinda like bretonians, how do they play?

Forgotmytea
16-05-2005, 16:21
I'd say Empire personnaly, but along the theme of Brets....

I've never used them ("So why are you posting here?!? :p), but I've fought them quite a few times, so I know a bit about them. So, they're mainly cavalry based (obviously) - where other armies rely on the heavy cavalry as support, brets rely on them as core. They're pretty flexible, with trebuchets, men-at-arms, archers, grail knights, pegasus knights and questing knights. The rules, such as the blessing and vows, might be a bit hard though....

Brandir
16-05-2005, 17:37
My opinion is get whatever army you like the look and feel of!

Forgotmytea
16-05-2005, 17:55
My opinion is get whatever army you like the look and feel of!

Yep, I agree. If you like the look of Brettonnians, go for them! I liked the look of Undead when I first started collecting, and I've never moved away from my vampire counts or regretted collecting them. Come to think of it, when I first started collecting, there weren't "Vampire Counts" or "Tomb Kings", just "Undead". All in one lovely book. Ah, those were the days.... ;)

But ayway, if you like Brets, go for them! I'd recommend a batallion + hero blister for a good starting army.

anarchistica
16-05-2005, 21:12
Dwarfs. No skirmishers, no cavalry, no monsters, no magic, no models with US above 1 (well, not really), no Marks/Virtues/Bloodline Powers/Sacred Spawnings, no spears, no Animosity/Drunken/Stupidity, no Ambush/Raiders/Instability/Fear/Crumbling/Ethereal/Blessing/Detachments/Whatever. They're just a solid army with only a handful of special rules. Only some minor manouvering, solid stats, solid shooting and that's it really. They're the simplest army to play with (technically) and are forgiving enough to allow for mistakes. A new player could just ignore the more curious warmachines and runes and all but use the rulebook for reference.

Lord Lucifer
17-05-2005, 10:54
Best noob army for Warhammer
just wondering. im quite interested in warhammer.

The one the noob in question likes most.
Universal fact is you win some, and you lose some. There's always someone out there who's gonna beat you, etc.

I'm of the opinion that it's better to lose a game with an army you love than to win a game with an army you hate, and spending so much effort assembling, painting, and developing your army... the 'winning' and 'losing' is really a side-issue

Just go for the army you like most, visually, thematically, and gameplay-wise (if you know you're an agressive player, don't take Dwarfs, if you know you like hard troops, consider Dwarfs, that sorta thing)

The last thing you should be asking is "Is it good for beginners?"

Happy hunting and welcome to Fantasy :)

Cheers
-Luci

MarcoPollo
17-05-2005, 17:16
I agree with lord lucifer. Pick an army you like the feel/look of. If your painting is not where you'd like it to be, then maybe choose an army like dwafs or lizardmen where you can be forgiven for mistakes in painting (alot of drybrushing and washing will do the trick) and in usage as they are simple straight ahead armies to play and learn with. Then for you second army, when your painting skills improve, then take the one you would like the most.

I first played with Lizzie's and did some really wierd paintings on them, and looking back are quite poor. But my newest chaos army looks really cool because of my improved painting skills.

Next for me is the Bretonians. I wanted to wait until I was happy with my painting ability before I tackled such a complex project. I want my knights too look especially cool and detailed so I practiced some of this before on my Chaos Knights etc.

In summary, don't forget to think about your painting skills too.

Lainer
17-05-2005, 21:44
If you like the look of an army, get it.
Remember, you won't be a newbie for long.

Eldacar
18-05-2005, 07:35
Like others have said, go with what you like. The first army I looked at getting for Warhammer was Empire, then I got some Chaos, before I settled on the High Elves. And I don't regret it one bit.

Cheesejoff
18-05-2005, 09:57
It's hard for a beginner to win with Elves, but other than that....Empire/dwarfs can play shooty/defensive succesfully, bretonnians or ogres are good for fast moving impact armies, orcs and skaven can play the horde game, chaos and lizardmen are just solid armies.