PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite Space Marine Legion

m00ndust
13-10-2009, 05:32
Simple poll, which Space Marine Legion do you prefer the most. I can be for any reason: fluff, gameplay, special characters, special units...

If you play a 2nd Founding Chapter (i.e. Black Templars), select the 1st Founding Legion (i.e. Imperial Fists).

When I first tried to play Space Marines, I was interested in collecting a Space Wolves army. The whole Barbarian/Viking allure of the chapter and having actual Fenrisian Wolvew really appealed to me... I kinda like Wolves and Werewolves.

But, friend of mine started with that chapter so I took Blood Angels... and I do not regret it at all.

I really like the tragedic fluff about the Black Rage and Red Thirst... the vampire aspect of the chapter and, most of all, how much pride they have about being the sons of the imperium's most famous martyr.

As far as Gameplay goes, I really love my Death company... It's not often you can see space marines destroy Defilers and tanks with mere chainswords...

So my vote is: Blood Angels

(Close seconds: Imperial Fists and Salamanders for their fluff and cooperation on the defense of Holy Terra and Armageddon respectively)

Mánagarmr
13-10-2009, 05:38
Well, I'm of Swedish ancestry, Norse Mythology has always intrigued me, ever since I was a child - and wolves are my favorite animal. So naturally when my brother got me into the hobby years ago, Wolves were the clear choice. ;)

Thud
13-10-2009, 05:40
Space Wolves.

I like the mix between lasers in space and feral, beer-drinking loonies. :)

carldooley
13-10-2009, 05:52
since my answer is short i had to type this line. Answer:

my own

Cognitave
13-10-2009, 05:54
beer-drinking loonies.

This. Nothing says "Chapter Tactics" like a bar fight.

Fugazi
13-10-2009, 05:54
While I liked the 'vikings in space' stuff (as silly as that sounds) and the Blood Angel background (never liked the models much for whatever reason), I've always liked the mystery surrounding the Dark Angels.

Cognitave
13-10-2009, 05:58
If I could pick a 2nd, it would be Imperial Fists. Without a doubt. I like Salamanders, but not a whole lot. Never been a fan of Iron Hands, Raven Guard, or White Scars. Blood Angels are cool (though Flesh Tearers must die...). Dark Angels get the "Emo Marines" rap around here, but they're not that bad. I'd love to see some more Ravenwing being played.

Vaktathi
13-10-2009, 05:59
Where are the other 9 Legions :confused:

Nicha11
13-10-2009, 06:02
Salamanders, finnaly a legion that gives a cr*p about humanity.

Scarecrow808
13-10-2009, 06:03
^Vaktathi
what he said, where are the traitor legions?

Fugazi
13-10-2009, 06:17
OP is a loyalist I guess.

By the way, someone needs to get a screengrab of this: Ultramarines 0%

Get it while it lasts.

hawo0313
13-10-2009, 06:24
Blood angels

They are the most blessed of the emperor live for many years past the normal lifespan of even space marines from other chapters and thier primarch was FULLY SICK!!!

but they also have flaws, secrets and weaknesses

these factors lead me to a Legion where they can kick ass without being OTT (snapping Bloodthirsters over knees not withstanding)

kardar233
13-10-2009, 06:25
Night Lords.

Terror tactics, lightning, sheer badassitude and a resemblance to Batman.

Nananananana NIGHT LORDS!

Threeshades
13-10-2009, 06:29
My favourites are Space Wolves for not being your regular Stick-up-the-ass-gosh-golly-we-must-follow-the-codex-because-what's-written-in-a-book-is-always-right legion and White Scars because they're Mongols on Motorbikes ins SPACE!

I voted for White Scars because I knew everyone would go for the puppies. Also my own Chapter is a White Scars successor, but they dip more into the Space Wolves mentality, being more feral and barbaric and back to the roots than their original Legion. Also they traded most of their motorbikes for HUGE BEARS. And not any kind of bears, but PANDA BEARS!
So my chapter is Mongols on giant panda bears in SPACE! (Accordingly I use Codex Space Wolves and Thunderwolf Cavalry rules for the Bear-Cav)

since my answer is short i had to type this line. Answer:

my own

You have your own Space Marine Legion?

By the way, someone needs to get a screengrab of this: Ultramarines 0%

Get it while it lasts.

Like this?

carldooley
13-10-2009, 06:39
You have your own Space Marine Legion?

nah, I have my own chapter, with established fluff. after all, someone needs to do the absolutely vital job of scrounging old battlefields for lostech(sorry to all those mechwarrior fans), spent drop pods and destroyed or immobilized vehicles for repair and re-use.

Fugazi
13-10-2009, 06:40
heheh, I love your name for the pic: CharlieDontSmurf.jpg

Israfael
13-10-2009, 06:42
I voted Ultramarines.

They get a lot more hatred than they warrant or deserve, but I guess it's in high fashion to hate "the man".

Keep being rebellious you lovable vagabonds.

Threeshades
13-10-2009, 06:53
heheh, I love your name for the pic: CharlieDontSmurf.jpg

I voted Ultramarines.

They get a lot more hatred than they warrant or deserve, but I guess it's in high fashion to hate "the man".

Keep being rebellious you lovable vagabonds.
I think all the undeserved hatred from the fanbase is just there to even out all the undeserved love from the writers. ;)

Dangersaurus
13-10-2009, 07:02
If the Crimson Fists hadn't lost their legion status to a retcon, this would've been a lot easier for me...

starlight
13-10-2009, 07:14
Legio Phoenix Templars - Heresy Era pre-Second Founding Salamander Successors...and yes, as listed in the *Who can field a Chapter?* Thread, yes, I can field at least a Chapter's worth of them...if they were all painted nicely... :p

pfulk4u
13-10-2009, 07:24
Fluffwise Salamanders by FAR. Boardwise: Black Templars. You don't have Black Templars in your poll!

starlight
13-10-2009, 07:28
Aside from them not being a Legion, what's your point...? :eyebrows:

Death_to_the_Xenos
13-10-2009, 07:37
Ultramarines

before i get flamed i have been interested in ancient history particularly greek and roman so the ultramarines reflect what i am interested in

i also believe that the avatar vs calgar battle codex was stupid

Sarcasm on

Calgar would have beat the avatar before he could hit him and just have to look at the eldar army to make them flee:cool:

Sarcasm off

blood angels comes as a close second as my favourite legion

T_55
13-10-2009, 07:47
Blood Angels.

Love their appearance, theme, and fluff.

wilsongrahams
13-10-2009, 08:08
Blood angels for me too having collected them since 1998. The nobility and aesthetics are how I imagined the space marines, and the way they are cursed is a tragedy but they do not embrace it - they try to resist it after all, and keep their honour.

As for not lking Ultramarines, I am also in that camp, mainly because, basically - what is so perfect about them to allow them to enforce the other legions to change to be like them? The other legions achieved far greater glories than the ultramarines in the crusade so must have been doing something right all along. Even the imperial citizens love blood angels more. And the rules guys need to stop trying to make ultramarines the super badasses etc... calgar is NEVER going to be a primarch so stop trying. Kill him off to a termagant and create a new leader or something please!

Hicks
13-10-2009, 08:20
Of the loyalists, my favorite would be the Blood Angels. Just everything is cool about them.

It would normaly have been a tie with Space Wolves, but that was before the new ubber list and silly wolf mounts.

the1stpip
13-10-2009, 08:20
Well, I played Ultras in 2nd, but I have almost finished painting my Salamanders, so there is your answer!

A1TEC
13-10-2009, 08:26
Though I play Ultramarines...with the new release of the Space Wolves, I have been reading heaps about them and I think that their background and skills are awesome

Rant
13-10-2009, 10:51
The -only- Chapter I like, out of all of them, successor or originals, is Blood Angels (Though I do think whoever designed the blue helmets on devastators was a *****). They're the only Legion I liked back in the rogue trader days, nothing much has changed.

Even the advent of the 5e C:SM I've had more fun out of it writing fluff for new chapters and building army lists for them than trying to make anything normal :)

m00ndust
13-10-2009, 11:43
Where are the other 9 Legions :confused:

For technical reasons, I can't put more than 10 choices on a poll... so, loyalist legion only... Also, since there's thousands of chapters (caus of Codex Astartes) I thought it would be easier to only name the "parent" chapter... hence the "legion" choice.

m00ndust
13-10-2009, 11:49
If the Crimson Fists hadn't lost their legion status to a retcon, this would've been a lot easier for me...

Crimson Fists and Black Templars are from Imperial Fists... they all share the same pre-heresy history and Primarch... Every legion changed because of the Ultramarine Primarch's Codex Astartes... We get our codex updated from time to time... when is that one updated huh ? ;)

Galatan
13-10-2009, 11:56
1st place Space Wolves: they've got a really good and strong image IMO. From beer drinking loonies to marines that really care about common joe to the only marines who really seem to have fun in their 300+ lives.

Contested 2nd: Blood angels and dark angels: Also both have a really good image and background and both have a 'sinister' secret. It really gives the extra flair of so called drama which can be quite interesting.

Tringsh
13-10-2009, 12:27
My first army bought for me was Space Wolves but I realy like the fluff of the Salamanders. It's hard to choose between them all.

Gav2k
13-10-2009, 12:50
I would have voted for the White Scars (biker mongol raiders in SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE!? Yus!)

But then I followed someones Imperial Fists paintlog (can't remember who, sorry)... I didn't like the idea of a Yellow army of marines, but when they all come together it looks somewhat impressive... I voted for Imperial Fists on the fact that they are arguably the best looking Marine army when they are all together on the table.

RMHaggis
13-10-2009, 12:51
on that im going to go with the imperial fists i like the whole 'stalwart praetorians of the imperium' idea and dorn was rather cool, oh and they are the seed for my own chapter which sort of sways it

Imperialis_Dominatus
13-10-2009, 13:10
Like 'em all. Even Ultras. Though recent fluff lowers their status to me. In order:

Blood Angels: For everything. I even enjoyed the Dues series to some extent.

Salamanders: Fire, and lots of it. Good guys overall. Duality of appearance and personality.

Space Wolves: A little too much Wolf but just enough Space Barbarian to make up for it. New Codex Syndrome is hitting me but they're still cool.

Raven Guard: Just that much cooler than Ultras. I like the stealth thing, how spec ops operate translated to Marines. Also Primarch's story is cool, but aren't they all?

Ultramarines: Middle of the pack. Recently Mat Ward dribbled all over some blank paper and called it a Codex. Drops my view of them considerably since it's canon. Hands above your waist when writing fluff please. Good stuff overall though.

White Scars: Speed and Mongols. "It is not enough that I succeed, all others must fail;"-Genghis Khan. Could be expanded upon.

Imperial Fists: Pretty awesome, but yellow and kind of boring. Capable of great fluff written about them but most falls short. Lysander gets a thumbs-up for laying the smack down on Sarpedon. I was hoping he killed him, but Counter isn't that brave.

Dark Angels: I like the vindictiveness and the robes. And the grim-more-even-than-grimdark-40k.

Iron Hands: Cool, but just not as cool. In my opinion.

Corpse
13-10-2009, 13:12
Space Marine Legion.
It doesn't say chaos, nor does it say pre heresy.
My choice would be limited to Black Templars. The only "Space Marine Legion" left. If you had said chaos, I would say Black Legion, one of the few undivided legions left in chaos. If it was pre-heresy, I would say Night Lords.

I cannot vote, no parameters. And no, I'm not being a jerk, just lazy.

primarch16
13-10-2009, 15:15
I quite like the raven guard, pretty cool fluff and shrike is pretty badass.

Fist of Crimson
13-10-2009, 15:47
Blood Angels for me.

A friend's awesome looking red toy soldiers are what got me started in the hobby.

Good fluff too.

I like almost all the loyalist legions but Blood Angels are my first love.

GideonRavenor
13-10-2009, 16:47
Blood Angels all the way (and see how popular we suddenly are...). No other chapter has quite the same appreciation for the finer things in life.

Dangersaurus
13-10-2009, 17:10
Crimson Fists and Black Templars are from Imperial Fists... they all share the same pre-heresy history and Primarch... Every legion changed because of the Ultramarine Primarch's Codex Astartes... We get our codex updated from time to time... when is that one updated huh ? ;)

You missed my point - By the current fluff they're successors of the Imperial Fists (or are they (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174728)...?), but before all of the fluff became set in stone, Crimson Fists were one of the First Founding legions.

guillimansknight
13-10-2009, 17:32
Purge the SMurf !!

There is nothing good in any way shape or form about them
they enforce a codex while not obeying it

Space wolves. Get my vote cause they told the SMurfs to ******* OFF.
Then IF cause Dorn done the same.

I think alpharious would be proud of my choice

Norngahl
13-10-2009, 19:32
Dark Angels, mainly because I like the optic of the Legion (Black overall!).

I play a chapter of the second founding primarily a fragment from the old loyal Dark Angels Legion still with old DA optics, but following the codex from Guilliaume as it should be (so just usual Marines with DA "Death Angel" optic).

Arkfatalis
13-10-2009, 20:18
I just love Dark Angels and the idea of the fallen. Who doesn't love Cypher?

Doomseer
13-10-2009, 20:27
Blood Angels.

They are far and away the greatest legion in every respect. Dark Angels are a very close second. Angels of Death had a very profound effect on my adolescence!

nagash66
13-10-2009, 20:35
Another Blood Angel vote from my, the only marine i have ever collected and the only non IG army to ever lure me away from my Imps.

Forgotmytea
13-10-2009, 21:13
Salamanders. I'm not entirely sure why, but whatever it is once motivated me to collect an army of them :) They're gone in favour of the Eldar now, but I still retain a fondness for the little green fire-lovers :p

Astraeos
13-10-2009, 21:23
I voted Space Wolves as my fave, but outside this poll they tie with the Dark Angels! A bit ironic considering the fluff!

Space Wolves- I've always liked these guys, I think it's the chapter's personality and the fact they're an assault based army that draws me. Plus I like dogs a lot, and wolves are the ancestors of dogs, so that's one more reason to like them!

Dark Angels- These were one of the first chapters I ever saw, in fact my first copy of WD was the one featuring the release of the original Angels of Death codex! The special characters looked so awesome when I first saw them, to me at the time they overshadowed the Blood Angels characters, with Ezekiel being the best. I was only ten back then!

Storm Seer
13-10-2009, 22:29
White Scars. The Warhammer Monthly story The Pilgrim is just awesome! And they defended Terra. And Storm Seers are cool (the rune priests seem to have learnt all their powers from us!).

Caiphas Cain
13-10-2009, 22:39
Night Lords, so cool.

Well, loyalits have to go with SW. For reasons mentioned above.

Lusall
13-10-2009, 22:43
My own legion. :P But that's only amongst my little group of friends. For official canon...Dark Angels and Salamanders.

It's not easy being green.

LonelyPath
13-10-2009, 23:41
I've been under the sway of the Unforgiven for as long as I care to rememebr and somehow I doubt that's ever going to change.

CommissarGuard
13-10-2009, 23:59
I like the Dark angels because of there history

Was thinking a while a go to make my own chapter succesers of the dark angels but dod not happen as i got sucked in to the fleet based side of things

Imperialis_Dominatus
14-10-2009, 00:39
Wow, Blood Angels beating Space Wolves on Warseer. Soon after the new Codex. What's up with that?

m00ndust
15-10-2009, 03:46
Rumor of a mid-2010 Codex: Blood Angels release.

We'll get some more info as to the validity of that rumor this weekend at GD Italy.

Mánagarmr
15-10-2009, 03:49
Wow, Blood Angels beating Space Wolves on Warseer. Soon after the new Codex. What's up with that?

Incoming Blood Angels codex, perhaps.

Lars Porsenna
15-10-2009, 06:17
Voted Salamanders. Good fluff, good color scheme. better when I could spam the board with thunder hammers...

If I were to pick a Chaos SM legion, Word Eaters. Cool helmets, good color scheme, and who could say no to chainsaw axes?

Damon.

Cognitave
15-10-2009, 06:21
Incoming Blood Angels codex, perhaps.

That's the rumor.

The validity seems pretty much there, but I'm not yet convinced. Seems like we will find out at the Italian GD.

Seems so that most of the people can get that "in b4 bandwagon" thing in, I guess. Whatever floats boats. :angel:

Troah
15-10-2009, 07:34
None, I hate all space marines.

Imperialis_Dominatus
15-10-2009, 13:58
Enjoy your inability to fully appreciate every race and faction like I do. Even the non-SPESS MAHRENS!

scarvet
15-10-2009, 15:21
Too bad only "loyalist" is in this poll

Logan_uc
15-10-2009, 16:12
Space wolves, they are the ONLY ones that fight for humanity and not for the ************ imperium of the nobility... they and the Space marine revolutionarys that help the Chaos gods to save humanity from the xeno scum for the galaxy:evilgrin:

grg3d
15-10-2009, 16:29
I voted "Imperial Fists"

Why?

The only metal figure I have for the Space marines is
Captain Lysander of the Imperial Fists
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1240824_99060101311_SMLysandermain_445x319.jpg

wilsongrahams
15-10-2009, 16:30
Actually Blood Angels fight following the Cult of sanguinius which is basically the same ideals that were around before the heresy and as such probably the same rules of engagement as the wolves have kept.

Thrain
15-10-2009, 16:55
Voted for Space Wolves. They were my first full painted army and I love the vikings in space theme.

A second favorite would be Salamanders. Mainly because they seem to love melta weapons as much as I do.

starlight
15-10-2009, 18:13
Space wolves, they are the ONLY ones that fight for humanity and not for the ************ imperium of the nobility... they and the Space marine revolutionarys that help the Chaos gods to save humanity from the xeno scum for the galaxy:evilgrin:

Sooooo....not so much for reading the background...?:rolleyes:

Logan_uc
15-10-2009, 18:56
Sooooo....not so much for reading the background...?:rolleyes:
?????????
I say this because of the background, all space marines have a certain disregard for the imperial organisations, but they only go ageinst them if there chapter is in danger, if the one in danger is the humble citizen they dont give a rats ass, except the space wolves (1º armagedon war). If there are other Chapters that do this please quote.

jams86
15-10-2009, 19:18
?????????
if the one in danger is the humble citizen they dont give a rats ass, except the space wolves (1º armagedon war). If there are other Chapters that do this please quote.

salamanders too in one of the armageddon wars, hence salamanders for me. i like the fact that they never back down from a fight and the whole uber-techno-pyro-blacksmith vibe they've got going on

wolves are my 2nd choice. back when i first started the hobby in '97 they were my legion of choice