PDA

View Full Version : starting a new army but cant decide

highelve0065
13-10-2009, 12:59
hi all,
i am looking for a new army to start as i am almost finished my high elf army (will stil be on going), but i cant decide out of 3 different armies. i am currently thinking of wood elves, warriors of chaos and dark elves. i also liek the look of vampire counts but dount know how they play, fi someone could outline the things that each of these armies are good and and general good and bad thigns about them it would be awesome.
thanks in advance

Atropos
13-10-2009, 13:27
If you already have an Elven army I wouldn't go for more Elves. Vampire Counts and Warriors of Chaos are two very nice options if you want something different.

The Red Scourge
13-10-2009, 14:42
The three elven armies are quite different from each other, so no reason to let that stop you - in fact its quite common for players to play all three :)

Atropos
13-10-2009, 16:03
Yes, they're different; but playing all three Elven armies can become very boring. Maybe trying something different will be more fun?
But, hey, play whatever armies you want, highelve0065, just try to enjoy the game. That's all that matters in the end.

Lord Khabal
13-10-2009, 16:11
Dark elves and chaos have the best minis. But dark elves (may) play similarly to HE. Go for Chaos!!!

ChaosCajun
14-10-2009, 01:47
If I had High Elves, I'd go Dark Elves as they are deadly enemies. I started with WoC and got Empire. Then I got Daemons, so got Lizards. I got BoC, so then got Brets.

Turnabout
14-10-2009, 02:12
Well... What do you like about each of the armies?
What do you dislike?

A little more info would be helpful.

At a glance though...I'd be a little biased towards Dark Elves. They'll be my second army someday after Empire. The imagery, artwork and character of the army is wonderful if you appreciate that sort of thing, but if you don't... then maybe try a different army.

brendel
14-10-2009, 02:25
as a high elf player you might want to think about going for a hord army, skave, goblins, maybee even empire

Leo85
14-10-2009, 03:55
VC army is probably the funnest to put together since you can use ANYTHING for conversions and it's really fun to play.

wilsongrahams
14-10-2009, 08:42
I have High Elves, Vampire Counts and Warriors of Chaos and intend getting Dark Elves and Wood Elves too, so the same themes seem to attract me. From having the models, I would say the majority of chaos troops are boring and need a resculpt, but the characters and chosen are fantastic, but overall a plain army but powerful in game. The Vampire Counts just look amazing when amassed as a horde of skeletons but you will need a good knowledge of magic and psychology. They require skill and a good grasp of tactics but you will probably have fun with them. I haven't played as Wood or Dark Elves but love the models in both.

Write the options down on a piece of paper and put them in a hat (or cup etc) and pick one. You will know instantly if you don't really want to go with that one because subconsciously you may already have made a choice.

Also decide if it's a different style of game play you want or if it's the mini's that attract you most.

Besides, a chaos army takes a week to paint so you can always get another after!

highelve0065
14-10-2009, 21:08
i really like the look of dark elves but i dont now how they play. WoC look prety cool but also prety bland.

TheGreatJoker
14-10-2009, 21:20
i would go for the exact opposite army you used to have.

thrawn
15-10-2009, 04:04
i started with HE, then skaven, then Deamons, then WE, now i'm thinking empire or dwarfs! what ever tickles your fancy!

mind you when i started w HE there was emporer dragons and bolt throwers fired 4 shots that pierced ranks!

Zarroc
15-10-2009, 04:20
i really like the look of dark elves but i dont now how they play. WoC look prety cool but also prety bland.

Black dragon and duel hydras, you cant go wrong :D

The Red Scourge
15-10-2009, 05:45
If I had High Elves, I'd go Dark Elves as they are deadly enemies...

While wood elves and high elves are good allies, when you should feel the urge to arrange a really big battle. They play quite different too - that is to say, nothing really plays like wood elves :)

Poseidal
15-10-2009, 09:52
Wood Elves can also run a high toughness game using lots of core skirmishing dryads backed by treemen and treekin which is probabaly a bit different.

Lord Anathir
15-10-2009, 17:52
actually high elves play very similar to dark elves but the DE do everything better for cheaper.

spetswalshe
15-10-2009, 18:01
There's never been a better time to invest in some verminous ratmen. Otherwise I'd go for WoC if you're looking for a simpler play style, or VC if you want a challenge. Theme your VC to have ex-High Elf elements.