PDA

View Full Version : A marine noob needs help

polymphus
13-10-2009, 15:21
Hey all,

I'm a long time Guard and Xeno player who feels the sudden, inexplicable need to have some Imperial Fists in his life. Problem is, despite playing since the 2nd edition, I know jackall about marine fluff and gameplay. I've faced the buggers often enough, but tactically they're so diverse it's hard to pin down exactly what makes them tick. So here's my question; is it fluff-wise and tactically sound to have an army made of the following?

-Lysander
-Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor Lord w. retinue
-Assault terminators
-Shooty terminators
-Tac squads (obviously, probably all razorback and rhino mounted)
-WH Dominion squad
-Land Raiders

What would be the cheapest way of going about this? Is it a fluff travesty that I just haven't realised or totally incapable of winning? Any advice would be appreciated.

Poly

pookie
13-10-2009, 15:25
iirc you cannot allie Sob with SM's ( tho im sure someone will say im wrong )

and generarly speaking there is no way to 'allie' two seperate codexs unless you use two FoC or the Dex states you can ( which i think the DH/WH one does ).

if you ignore the Inq and WH Dominion sqd, then you will have a good start with a SM force, how it would fare against your regular opponents would depend on 1) the Race they play 2) the compostion of there Armys.

jams86
13-10-2009, 15:29
you could run that list with the =][= and stormtroopers instead of SoB

polymphus
13-10-2009, 15:29
I'd be tempted to call RaW on myself, but bear with me here. Allied Space Marines may not be used in a Witch Hunters force, but an Space Marine force with allied Witch Hunters fall under no such restriction. Before calling RaW, check page 62 of the WH codex; there's a sample army with both marines and sisters, so this was clearly their intention.

Thud
13-10-2009, 15:45
Here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162678&highlight=tactica+space+marines) is a link to the Space Marine Tactica thread. You should find some useful tips there.

Giganthrax
13-10-2009, 16:12
That list severely lacks proper anti-tank (speeders, bikes, attack bikes, sternguard with combiweapons etc.).

What points do you intend to play that at?

polymphus
13-10-2009, 16:42
Would Dominions with meltas in a multimelta immolator work at all? I was also probably going to go with a few razorbacks with TL-lascannons, but I'm not sure if that's sufficient. Not entirely sure of the points either. Somewhere about 1850? I might drop the shooty terminators in favour of making the assault termies a bit bigger and buffing up the tactical squads.

pookie
13-10-2009, 16:50
I'd be tempted to call RaW on myself, but bear with me here. Allied Space Marines may not be used in a Witch Hunters force, but an Space Marine force with allied Witch Hunters fall under no such restriction. Before calling RaW, check page 62 of the WH codex; there's a sample army with both marines and sisters, so this was clearly their intention.

Doesnt work in reverse, look at the SM Dex and see if it allows you to take WH allies.

What you cant see where it says you can?:D

Well thats becuase you cant ( hence my comment before about allies unless you use two FoC's).

Brother Loki
13-10-2009, 17:23
Pookie, I'm sorry but you're wrong. The WH dex specifies 2 ways you can ally with it. The first is to use WH as the parent list, and induct marine units (in which case you may not use sisters). The second is to use SM as the parent list and ally WH units with it. both options are spelled out in Codex:WH.

GideonRavenor
13-10-2009, 17:32
Absolutely. You can't take Marines and Sisters in a Witch Hunters army, but you can take allied Sisters in your Marines army.

It would actually be quite a nice theme, as both the Imperial Fists and the Adepta Sororitas are pretty fanatical.

pookie
14-10-2009, 10:19
Pookie, I'm sorry but you're wrong. The WH dex specifies 2 ways you can ally with it. The first is to use WH as the parent list, and induct marine units (in which case you may not use sisters). The second is to use SM as the parent list and ally WH units with it. both options are spelled out in Codex:WH.

i said i maybe wong on my first post.

if i used a SM Parent list - what units can you ally with then from the WH list, is it just SOB?

polymphus
14-10-2009, 12:32
if i used a SM Parent list - what units can you ally with then from the WH list, is it just SOB?

Any units, but with the following restrictions

0-1 HQ
0-1 Elites
0-2 Troops
0-1 Fast Attack

Poly