PDA

View Full Version : Why do you play Warhammer Fantasy Battles?

The SkaerKrow
13-10-2009, 19:51
At the end of the day, what is your primary motivation for playing Warhammer Fantasy Battles? Do you play for the thrill of victory, or do you play for fun the fun of it, outcome bedamned? Please be honest, there's no right answer here as far as the poll is concerned (also, its an anonymous poll).

Avian
13-10-2009, 19:57
Missing this option:
"I bought and painted all these hundreds of little guys, I might as well use them for something!"
;)

Keller
13-10-2009, 19:58
Definately for the fun. I don't care much whether I win or lose, only if I play well and have a good time. Of course, winning is nice too, but only if I do my part. I've been known to handycap myself in list design just to make things more interesting on the battlefield.

Which reminds me, my Empire militia army hasn't seen action in quite a while......

Unuhexium
13-10-2009, 20:00
Good one Avian ^^

For me it's all about creating as messy melees as unhumanly possible.

Supreme Archon Orlok
13-10-2009, 20:03
Playing for fun really, anyone who chooses the other option, well a number of insults come to mind.

Unuhexium
13-10-2009, 20:16
Playing for fun really, anyone who chooses the other option, well a number of insults come to mind.

Actually, I wouldn't consider it that bad if anyone choose the other option. It all depends on the context you play in. It might not work in your or my gaming group, but in a highly competative gaming group winning might be the ultimate goal and source of enjoyment, but at the same time, playing to win isn't the same as being a WAAC-job (pun intended). My point is that as long as everyone is on the same "wave length" it doesn't matter what you play for.

Malorian
13-10-2009, 20:26
Wow, I'm the first person to vote for 'victory'....

I like to have a fun game and all but the primary reason I play the game is that I love competitive games, and the reason competitive games are fun is the fight for the win.

The Red Scourge
13-10-2009, 20:50
I play for the fun of it.

...but I absolutely detest losing ;)

Radium
13-10-2009, 20:55
You missed another reason: shoving a little dragon around the kitchen table!

So eh, just for fun ;).

Idle Scholar
13-10-2009, 20:58
It's not the winning, it's the trying to win. That and wish fulfillment.

Desert Rain
13-10-2009, 20:59
Playing for the fun, victory is a nice touch though ;)

Toshiro
13-10-2009, 21:18
for the fun, but winning sure makes it even more fun :D

Weemo
13-10-2009, 21:39
neither, for the models and the superior game play compared with 40k

willowdark
13-10-2009, 21:40
Warhammer is a game to me, before it's anything else.

I don't mind loosing at all, so long as I learned from my mistakes and can at least see a few accomplishments in my game play to be proud of. But each loss is a chance to play better the next time, so winning is ultimately why I play. Because it's a game.

Areku
13-10-2009, 21:43
While I do enjoy painting the models and playing the game, victory is a nice perk. I don't mind losing, but when it's for a stupid reason, either my mistake, pure dumb luck, or a rule that was twisted it can get annoying.

I will admit, however, some of the random results of luck (Temple Guard fluffing all their attacks and zombies killing enough in return to win combat without the Helm) is always entertaining.

enygma7
13-10-2009, 21:52
Idle Scholar said it well, it is the trying to win rather than the winning. Warhammer is a game played for fun but it is also a competetive game and a contest between players. So whilst I play for fun I don't think I would enjoy playing someone who honestly didn't care one bit about the outcome and wasn't trying to win - the tactical fencing match is the entertaining part rather than the outcome in itself (rolling over some n00b is no fun at all).

So I vote c) both and d) I like the painting and background and the games just kind of happen :)

Tae
13-10-2009, 22:58
Option c) I play for fun, but like winning.

Supreme Archon Orlok
14-10-2009, 00:10
Actually, I wouldn't consider it that bad if anyone choose the other option. It all depends on the context you play in. It might not work in your or my gaming group, but in a highly competative gaming group winning might be the ultimate goal and source of enjoyment, but at the same time, playing to win isn't the same as being a WAAC-job (pun intended). My point is that as long as everyone is on the same "wave length" it doesn't matter what you play for.

Apologies for any misconceptions I may have caused.

I assumed that by playing to win, the poll meant WAAC (been spending to much time on the forums), yes I like winning (who doesn't?) and I have played in a tournament or two, but I don't like the atrocity known as WAAC.

Sparda
14-10-2009, 01:25
I play just for the satisfaction of seeing my opponent's cannon blow up :D

Emeraldw
14-10-2009, 05:07
Fun of course!

I like winning and I like planning out good lists but I do like to have fun and even when I lose and something hilarious happened, I don't mind it at all.

Bac5665
14-10-2009, 06:52
Yeah, I'm gonna add my vote to those that have stressed the GAME aspect and wanting a fun competitive, tactically interesting game. A blow out win is just as bad as a blow out lost, and I want both sides to have fun, but I play to win first and foremost.

I can't vote for the first option because, while I play to win, the goal is an intellectual challenge, not just a pat on the head for winding up with more victory points through no fault of my own.

I can't vote for the second, because I damn well do care if I win, just not at the expense of both players having fun.

Necromancy Black
14-10-2009, 07:19
Very black and white poll. I doubt there are that many players that have a black and white view to this game. Plus I think this poll is almost made to make the first option sound like the ********s choice.

I play for fun, I have fun winning. Getting thrashed isn't fun, so clearly the outcome does matter doesn't it?

For me what is really fun is having a competitive tactical game where both players make use of all the rules, to their advantage, to gain the the upper hand and battle it all out.

samael
14-10-2009, 07:30
Missing the option:
To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women...... someone had to say it. :D

Oh, chose fun btw :)

Lusall
14-10-2009, 07:36
Warhamms is for serious! I play for keeps! I smash mah models when they's ded! :mad::evilgrin::mad::evilgrin:

If I played to win Warhams, I would suck at life as well as Warhamms.:D

The SkaerKrow
14-10-2009, 12:37
Very black and white poll. I doubt there are that many players that have a black and white view to this game. Plus I think this poll is almost made to make the first option sound like the ********s choice.At the end of the day, everyone's motivation for playing the game comes down to one of two factors: either they're there primarily for the trappings of the game, or they're there for its outcome. Adding various diluted options between those two poles just funnels people into easy, middle of the road responses that tend to invalidate the accuracy of the poll in question. Beyond that, no aspersion is intended for those who respond to either option. Winning a contest is thrilling, while playing a game is entertaining. I'm sorry if my choice of adjectives seems unintentionally biased.

snurl
14-10-2009, 12:58
I play for fun, but I gotta say that it is nice to win once and awhile too.

kris.sherriff
14-10-2009, 13:17
Well I actually surprised myself on this one as I consider myself to be a friendly player, I always hamstring my lists and would rather use a fluffy list than a power build. I mean I play an all Goblin army but I still ended up voting for victory.

When I play I play to do the best I can which means that I want to win. If I don't win it does not mean that I will not enjoy the game but I still deployed my army wanting to win.
Does that make me a bad person or is there more to a WAAC mentality than this poll give credit for?

Kris

Da_Greeniest
14-10-2009, 13:35
There's nothing wrong with wanting to be competitive in this game, but the reason I play is mainly to have fun.

Because with every single game I play, either me, the opponent, or someone spectating, will crack some joke about how Gnoblars managed to fend off Black Orcs, or how a Giant managed to break the enemy line and is rampaging behind everyone tearing up warmachines. Or how a Black Orc Boss charged out of his unit to engage in one-on-one combat with a Vampire and killed the Vampire, only to be overrun by Black Knights immediately afterwards.

Regardless of what army you play, there's a strange humor that goes with this game that makes it a blast to play.

Ward.
14-10-2009, 15:18
I play to win, thereby affirming my manhood.

moose
14-10-2009, 15:23
You forgot the option; to both have fun and try win!

Not necessarily WAAC but still wanting to win is healthy in a fun environment.

Moose.

Lordsaradain
14-10-2009, 15:41
I collect warhammer because I love the sight of a fully assembled and painted army. And when you have one, it'd be a shame not to use it. ;)

Wolf 11x
14-10-2009, 16:01
I play to win. I'm that way with every game. It's not a good way to be but it's how I am.

wilsongrahams
14-10-2009, 17:00
Missing this option:
"I bought and painted all these hundreds of little guys, I might as well use them for something!"
;)

Actually my vote would have been the same as this, but similarly for the same reason I don't mind if I win or lose - revenge is more fun than winning first time round after all!

Bac5665
14-10-2009, 17:10
At the end of the day, everyone's motivation for playing the game comes down to one of two factors: either they're there primarily for the trappings of the game, or they're there for its outcome. Adding various diluted options between those two poles just funnels people into easy, middle of the road responses that tend to invalidate the accuracy of the poll in question. Beyond that, no aspersion is intended for those who respond to either option. Winning a contest is thrilling, while playing a game is entertaining. I'm sorry if my choice of adjectives seems unintentionally biased.

Except that here several of us are claiming that there is more to it than you are putting out there. Some of us DO care about the outcome, but care about other things too. That's not a refusal to take a stand, that's a FACT. I like winning a ton, but after rolling over too many people, my DoC army is sitting in my closet because it was too easy. That said, I don't want people pulling punches against be either. I don't like losing, but I don't mind it when I can learn something from the loss. Conversely, I like winning, but the victory is soured when my opponent had a bad time, or if I didn't learn anything from the game. The best games take till turn 5 or so for the victor to become apparent (turn 6 victories are more likely to turn on luck, in my experience, so are less fun for me...). There really is a ton more to my enjoyment than winning or losing, but those are the backbone of the experience for sure.

Idle Scholar
14-10-2009, 17:55
It should be noted the the first option didn't read

Is winning your only reason for playing?

Luisjoey
14-10-2009, 20:53
really you cant control all in the game... you have to enjoy and wage for a good outcome!

willowdark
14-10-2009, 20:57
trash talking is also a huge part of the enjoyment for me. But you have to win consistently to get any sort of pleasure from it.

again, winning is the goal, but I do enjoy rolling with the punches.

Urgat
14-10-2009, 22:05
Herm, for the pleasure of saying "Ah! You lost to goblins.".
:p

Souppilgrim
15-10-2009, 00:25
The question in this poll is leading.

Lusall
15-10-2009, 03:21
The question in this poll is leading.

-You're- leading! :p

starlight
15-10-2009, 03:27
Missing this option:
;)

Pretty much. :D

Playing is great and winning is cool, but it's the good time had with mates that makes it worthwhile. :)

Jind_Singh
15-10-2009, 06:13
What? What kind of lame question is this? Why do we breathe? Why does everyone eventually meet its maker - from insects, mighty mountains, to the very Sun?

WHY DO WE PLAY WARHAMMER???

BECAUSE WE HAVE TO! It's why the universe was created, so I could rampage with my
Orcs & Goblins, destroy with the Deamons, hold the line with Empire, and eat everything in sight with the Ogres!

As you can see I loves Warhammer - theres so many reasons I am still playing it since the tender age of 14 (now 32) - its fun, got a rich history behind the races, backed by some excellent reads in the black libary publications, and above all - amazing minis!!

And as for the poll - I always play to win the game, but dont build lists to win. I like taking an army for fluff reasons and then trying my hardest during the game to win. The only time I like cheese out is when I play the greenskins as even the toughest greenskin horde is not that bad!!!
But having said that I guess I can always play to win as we have some really solid generals in the group - were you have to be at your peak and pray they are going to have a bad day!
Against newbies I'll actually talk them through moves, let them take back moves, and point out that the inncocent looking unit on the flank is going to roll down their flanks if they are not careful! so it doesnt have to be about winning at all costs!

The SkaerKrow
15-10-2009, 12:32
Except that here several of us are claiming that there is more to it than you are putting out there. Some of us DO care about the outcome, but care about other things too. That's not a refusal to take a stand, that's a FACT. I like winning a ton, but after rolling over too many people, my DoC army is sitting in my closet because it was too easy. That said, I don't want people pulling punches against be either. I don't like losing, but I don't mind it when I can learn something from the loss. Conversely, I like winning, but the victory is soured when my opponent had a bad time, or if I didn't learn anything from the game. The best games take till turn 5 or so for the victor to become apparent (turn 6 victories are more likely to turn on luck, in my experience, so are less fun for me...). There really is a ton more to my enjoyment than winning or losing, but those are the backbone of the experience for sure.That sounds like a classic "I'm after the victory" frame of mind, which isn't a bad thing. Putting a high priority on winning isn't the same as being a WAAC player.

artyboy
15-10-2009, 13:46
I like to win. I can still have fun and lose, though. To be honest, the main reason that I play is because I prefer the fantasy genre to the sci-fi genre. I'd rather play with bows, catapults, high magic, epic heroes and monsters than guns and tanks.

Bac5665
15-10-2009, 13:46
That sounds like a classic "I'm after the victory" frame of mind, which isn't a bad thing. Putting a high priority on winning isn't the same as being a WAAC player.

Fair enough. That distinction gets lost way to often on this forum, and I hate that, so I was perhaps too vigilant in assuming that that distinction was lost in this thread as well.

Artinam
15-10-2009, 14:21
I do love the thrill of exiting parts of a battle, where you can win or loose. But generally I like the fact Im playing with a friend just as well.

Eternus
15-10-2009, 15:03
Why do I play Warhammer Fantasy Battles?

Because I like playing Warhammer Fantasy Battle of course!

I play because I enjoy choosing an army of cool model soldiers which I have assembled, some of which are painted, and pitting it against the army of a friend in a jovial but mildly competative atmosphere, and hopefully winning. I don't enjoy losing, so I try not to do it, but I don't enjoy winning if it means my opponent wishes we hadn't played at all, because it is a game we share and enjoy with and because of our friends, not somthing we use to bash them over the head with.

I enjoy a close run thing against a canny opponent that tests me, which I would always like to win, though I don't begrudge losing the odd game because it's character building and keeps my feet on the ground. I learn more from a defeat than a victory. And a defeat is an excuse for revenge, which is also character building.

I don't understand anyone who says they don't care if they win or lose, because to me they have missed the point of playing. Nobody enjoys losing. If we lost every game, we would probably give up eventually.

I suppose we have to ask, if we didn't play Warhammer, what on Earth would we fill our days with?

AFnord
15-10-2009, 15:06
An inbetween option is needed. When playing, i'll often try to win, when designing a list, i'll often try to design a strong list (although i'll also often experiment. For those armies that I have enough models to do so, i'll usually never run the same list more than once). I enjoy the game because of the challenge. Two players trying to out-play each other, to put themselves in a favourable position.

That being said, even tough I try to win, winning is not the most important part. The best games are those that are close, where one side only manages to pull of a victory by a small margin, where the skill of the players really is what matters (winning because you roll an IF on that specific spell is not fun!). My best game to date was actually one that I lost... by 3 points! (40k, tournament setting).

Johnnyfrej
15-10-2009, 15:25
I play Fantasy for fun, mainly. I can't take the game as competitive seriously. When I go to tournaments it's only for 40k.

rtunian
15-10-2009, 15:27
in tourney, i play to win
in living room, i play for fun