PDA

View Full Version : Buying online in the Southern Hemisphere

polymphus
14-10-2009, 07:35
Not sure if this is entirely the right place for it, but what the hell, here goes;

Does anyone know any good online discount games workshop stockists in Australia/New Zealand? Most of the big companies are UK or US based, which means that with postage it tends to end up costing more than it would to just buy straight from GW. Any help would be appreciated.

Poly

the_yuk
14-10-2009, 07:52
www.gamingdragon.com.au, www.thecombatcompany.com.au. I usually use gamingdragon and have never had any issues what so ever with them. They sell at 20% off but most times I put an order in online I get an additional 5% discount coupon to use next time. Milsims is another one i know of but not sure of there website of the top of my head. Im not sure about NZ though. Theres one on the gold coast around beenleigh if i recall correctly i know there got a site but no idea what it is. If i remember them i will let you know. Hope that helps.

lorelorn
14-10-2009, 08:07
Try War and Peace Games, they are very good: http://www.warandpeacegames.com.au/

ctsteel
14-10-2009, 08:43
milsims is www.milsims.com.au - based in Melbourne, I've ordered online from them and been to their store on several occasions.

And don't forget the Aussie dollar is going gangbusters at the moment - with the current Aussie dollar conversion rate, I can get for example the new Space Wolf pack for 17.50 pounds from maelstrom games in the UK (who do discounted prices and FREE shipping world wide), which converts to A$30.54 as of todays rates on www.xe.com

Compare that to GW Oz price of A$55.00

Even with a local retailer offering 20% off (11 dollars = $44.00 plus shipping) it is still way cheaper to order from overseas currently.

For further example, if you were to buy it from GW UK at 20 pounds (plus 8 pounds shipping = 28) that converts to $48.87 which is still cheaper than the local GW price.

And it gets better for higher value items, for example the space marine battleforce can be bought for 43.75 pounds = $76.36 (compared to local Aus GW price of $150)

I highly recommend keeping an eye on the conversion rates and checking overseas sites to compare prices before buying. Shipping from the US is generally a killer (often it alone can double the cost) but UK is pretty good. If you can get free shipping then either country can be great when our conversion rate is good, because the local Australian price for GW items is not a direct convert from the UK/US price. In much the same way that technology and games/movies tend to be cheaper in those high volume markets.

The only time it hasn't worked out was when I bought Space Hulk - the conversion cost for ordering from UK was significantly cheaper, but when the GW UK website added in the shipping (it's a heavy box :)) it nearly doubled the price and ended up more expensive than if I bought it from GW Aus, so I ordered it locally

Crymson
14-10-2009, 08:54
www.milsims.com.au

There is also Maelstrom Games in the UK; with the exchange rate and their free postage it works out real cheap.

EDIT: That'll teach me for waiting 10 minutes to write a reply!

lorelorn
15-10-2009, 00:29
Thanks for the heads up on Maelstrom Games, guys. With the exhange rate as it is, plus their free postage, I can't see better value anywhere on these shores.

A question for anyone in Australia who has bought from them already: Do their prices include VAT, and if so, do they deduct that from their prices for buyers from ouside the EU?

Cypher
15-10-2009, 02:07
You'll pay whatever the listed price is - for the sake of argument the money "lost" on the VAT covers the postage costs. I've found most UK retaillers dont remove the VAT for overseas purchases.

It's still significantly cheaper than any other option.

lorelorn
15-10-2009, 03:36
Well Games Workshop do, and every other retailer should - it's a 17.5%(IIRC) tax that does not apply to the transaction.

It covers more than postage costs. The last time I ordered from GWUK the blood bowl stuff I ordered came out at a lower price once VAT was removed than the list price for the items - VAT accounted for more than postage and that's with GWs registered international post service.

Maelstrom may be giving us a good deal, they are also getting one in return, by keeping that tax. I expect I'll buy from them anyway.

edit: what makes me uncomfortable is the disingenuous way the offer is represented. It's not 'free postage' at all. It's 'we'll charge 17.5% extra for this transaction, then pay your postage out of that and keep the difference.'

Plaguebeast
15-10-2009, 10:51
I'm considering a bulk order from Maelstrom Games of some Tau boxes. At current exchange rates (and if my calculations are correct), it will cost me about $143.50 AUD. The equivalent purchase in Australia would set me back $252.00 AUD! Should be well worth the wait and risk for ordering from overseas.

Plaguebeast

ctsteel
15-10-2009, 11:40
Good point about GW VAT handling, I'd forgotten to mention that. In the days of the old website, I think they removed the VAT totally and that was what you paid. With the new website, they re-apply local GST, so we in Aus end up with [web price] - 17.5% + 10% = final price (plus shipping cost).

The cheaper start price and overall 7.5% reduction means it's better than getting it from local Aus GW even with the postage, but it can't compare to an indie retailer like maelstrom who offer a discounted starting price (I think they have 15% off GW stuff as standard) and don't charge *extra* for shipping (as mentioned above they get to keep the VAT to cover that). While it can be seen as a bit dodgy to silently keep VAT, it's still the cheapest option for me the consumer. And I think Forge World charge the same price around the world without removing VAT either?

I'll also point out (sorry to sound like an advertisement!) that maelstrom offer a credit of x% for every pound you spend with them, which can be used as a credit to offset future purchases. Which helps make it even better value over time.

Crymson
15-10-2009, 12:04
I'm considering a bulk order from Maelstrom Games of some Tau boxes. At current exchange rates (and if my calculations are correct), it will cost me about $143.50 AUD. The equivalent purchase in Australia would set me back $252.00 AUD! Should be well worth the wait and risk for ordering from overseas.

Plaguebeast

Yeah I recently did a $A195 order with them that would have cost me approx. $A300 if I bought it from GW in Australia. Those are crazy savings.

As for risk, I have been ordering a fair bit from them this passed year and no probs. The ONLY disappointment is they seem to take a while to send the stuff; the order sits in processing for a week or so before being sent. Last order took over 2 weeks to actually leave Maelstrom, but the guys informed me it was due to an ordering stuff up with GW.

lorelorn
16-10-2009, 05:05
Eww, I had no idea GW UK charged GST. Obviously my last order to GWUK (2 years ago) happened during an opportune window when they weren't doing that.

Don't worry about sounding like an ad, I think it's good when gamers recommend traders they've had a good experience with. I'll definitely put through an order later this month. As you say, despite any VAT issues they are still incredible value for the Aussie gamer.

Good point about GW VAT handling, I'd forgotten to mention that. In the days of the old website, I think they removed the VAT totally and that was what you paid. With the new website, they re-apply local GST, so we in Aus end up with [web price] - 17.5% + 10% = final price (plus shipping cost).

The cheaper start price and overall 7.5% reduction means it's better than getting it from local Aus GW even with the postage, but it can't compare to an indie retailer like maelstrom who offer a discounted starting price (I think they have 15% off GW stuff as standard) and don't charge *extra* for shipping (as mentioned above they get to keep the VAT to cover that). While it can be seen as a bit dodgy to silently keep VAT, it's still the cheapest option for me the consumer.

I'll also point out (sorry to sound like an advertisement!) that maelstrom offer a credit of x% for every pound you spend with them, which can be used as a credit to offset future purchases. Which helps make it even better value over time.

Cap'n Facebeard
16-10-2009, 07:20
As a fellow Australian I can heartily recommend Maelstrom Games. Never had a problem and my last order not only saved me heaps (I got a WoC Battalion and some green stuff for bout $A90, GW price bout $A165) but it arrived in just over a week after ordering! Can't bet on such good time every time, but it sure was impressive.

Plaguebeast
16-10-2009, 12:20
As for risk, I have been ordering a fair bit from them this passed year and no probs. The ONLY disappointment is they seem to take a while to send the stuff; the order sits in processing for a week or so before being sent. Last order took over 2 weeks to actually leave Maelstrom, but the guys informed me it was due to an ordering stuff up with GW.

So long as I plan my purchases well in advance, this shouldn't be a huge issue. Hell, I'm saving over $100 so I'm definitely willing to give them a few weeks leeway!

Plaguebeast

lorelorn
31-10-2009, 00:59

I can only agree on the slowness of Maelstrom. Despite putting an order in on the 24th they still haven't got around to sending it out yet! Very poor show, so I probably won't use them again. I could never recommend them to anyone else with that slowness. Everything in the order was released and listed as in stock when my order went through (all are still listed as in stock) so there shouldn't be any stock delays.

It doesn't take 3 days to 'process' an order for 8 items, then another three days (and counting) to 'pack' that order. They are just messing about, but they've already taken my money, which is a nice touch.

By contrast I put in a slightly larger order, and more complex, to a US site on the 22nd, and the items arrived in good order on the 28th.

I'm really not interested in paying for items but having the company wait a week (or more?!) before bothering to send them out. I don't care what the discount is, if the service is awful.

edit: Not that GW Oz are any better. A friend ordered in-stock items from them that turned out not to be in stock. It was 8 weeks before his order arrived! At least Maelstrom offer a discount for slow service.

Plaguebeast
31-10-2009, 02:23
I'm looking at a $100 saving, so time isn't a big issue for me. However, I am curious as to how much of a discount the US store gave you (including postage).

Plaguebeast

lorelorn
31-10-2009, 02:41
That's the rub. The US store isn't discount. I'm purely trading on the exchange rate there. Postage was free, based on the order amount (over $200 US). However they don't sell GW items so the comparison there was for service in terms of receiving an order and shipping it. Last time I ordered something online from Europe it was shipped out within 48 hours. A week and counting is not acceptable IMO.

I'll just remember not to expect anything for upwards of a month should there be a next time for Maelstrom.

Crymson
31-10-2009, 06:27
It's usually 2-3 weeks from when I place the order to when I recieve it when ordering from Maelstrom, and a week of that is waiting for them to actually ship it.

Current example: I placed an order on the 21st of October (ten days ago) for some yet-to-be-released Skaven stuff and some other stuff that they had in stock. I then got an email on the 24th (seven days ago) saying they would split the order and send out the current stock. On the 30th (yesterday) it finally went into 'packing' status. Looking at it just now (on the 31st) it is still in packing status.

I don't mind waiting as they offer a huge discount when the Aussie dollar is taken into account (plus their moneyback offer is good). I always expect to sacrifice something in exchange for cheaper products, and in Maelstrom's case it is obviously having to wait for them to send it.

lorelorn
31-10-2009, 12:33
Given that

1. the majority of their discount (to us in Oz) is exchange rate-based, not price based

2. they offer "free" shipping while keeping the 17.5% VAT included in the prices, and

3. they take so damned long to ship

I will be comparing them with GW UK before ordering again. The price difference might be slightly in their favour, around 5%. I'm happy to call that a service fee and order through GW. Stuff I order from there in the past has taken 5-10 days to arrive. I'm up to 5 days with Maelstrom and they haven't even shipped yet.

What I prefer about Maelstrom over GW is all the other ranges they stock, such as Warlord, Army Painter, Flames of War and so on. It's nice to be able to combine multiple companies into one order.

Next time I want purely GW stuff, and assuming the exchange rate remains better than 50p to the AUD, I will do a price comparison first.

Rick Blaine
31-10-2009, 22:51
Maybe they only ship to outside the EU once a week? I've never had to wait more than 2 days for stuff that was in stock to ship. And I must've spent near $1000 with them in the past year.

lorelorn
31-10-2009, 23:42
It gets worse.

They have now 'split' my order. Reason?

"Some items are not in stock"

This is appalling. Given the item was listed on their website as in stock (8 or 10 available) when I ordered, I don't understand the reason for this at all.

Evidently their listing actual numbers of stock on hand is a fiction, when placing an order does not reserve you one of those supposedly available items. If they can't keep stock numbers accurately updated I don't know why they bother listing them at all. It's just misleading.

So, six days to process an order for 8 items, then the order is still outstanding as items that were supposedly in stock now suddenly aren't, I won't be doing this again. The information they give simply is not trustworthy.

Oh, and no indication given of when the item will be restocked.

My advice to fellow Australians is to avoid Maelstrom. Take your strong dollars elsewhere, as everything in the UK is selling at a discount right now.

Plaguebeast
01-11-2009, 01:16
Thanks for the heads-up Lorelorn.

Has anyone tried Wayland games?

Plaguebeast

Crymson
01-11-2009, 07:00
Have you tried sending them a polite email enquiring as to the reasons behind it? Every time I have they have responded in a timely fashion.

Sorry to hear you have had a bad experience. Although apart from the time factor, I have never had a problem, and will continue using them unless someone can point me to someone with such good value and a good range.

chromedog
01-11-2009, 08:54
I've used Wayland a couple of times.

Valkyrie and Skyshield platform for less than a Valk costs here retail?
Ok, can take a couple of weeks (if they get stock issues), but raise a ticket on the site about your order and it will be resolved satisfactorily.

For stuff I need tomorrow/day after, I'll use GamingDragon. If it can wait, I'll go to Wayland. Two orders from them so far and no issues (apart from GW stuffing them around - but GW do that to all of the independants).

lorelorn
01-11-2009, 11:54
Have you tried sending them a polite email enquiring as to the reasons behind it? Every time I have they have responded in a timely fashion.

Sorry to hear you have had a bad experience. Although apart from the time factor, I have never had a problem, and will continue using them unless someone can point me to someone with such good value and a good range.

Yes, I sent an email before I posted here. ;)

It's good to have more than one opinion about a site, and good to know they are not always so bad. However my first experience ordering from them means I won't be going back a second time. And no, I haven't seen anyone else offering their breadth of range, more's the pity.

rich1231
01-11-2009, 16:09
GW's policy of one trade order a week means that if for example you order items from a UK indy one day and an item is out of stock. It could be nearly 7 days before they are reordered. Then it needs to arrive from GW and then it gets shipped. Thats the worst case scenario.

perplexiti
01-11-2009, 17:57
I've used maelstrom a few times and had no problems really, the order can sit in processing or packing for a few days longer than maybe is necessary, but i dig not having to pay so much for my addiction.

Also they are on the other side of the planet, so it can take a while to arrive. And IIRC there have been issues with postal strikes in the UK for the last few mon ths or so.

lorelorn
02-11-2009, 00:04
I got a nice speedy reply to my email, apparently there was an issue with the website, where pre-orders were not taking the stock levels down, naturally they send out pre-ordered stuff first, so those like me who ordered on release day thinking there was stock available have to wait. The waiting sucks but I totally understand them sending orders out based on when they were received.

I priced the next army I will buy which is a Dwellers Below/ Misty Mountains army for lord of the rings and war of the ring.

GW Australia: $337 (full retail, so I could easily bring this down to $300)

GW UK: $280

Maelstrom: $206

NEW: Wayland Games $177.80 ..er I mean $222 after postage :o

That's a big price difference! I might just have to swallow the slowness and order the army a month before I need it.

violenceha
02-11-2009, 00:46
I've been using maelstrom for the past few years and made quite a few orders, never had any trouble and the longest i've had to wait for an order was 2 weeks.

lorelorn
02-11-2009, 02:55
GW's policy of one trade order a week means that if for example you order items from a UK indy one day and an item is out of stock. It could be nearly 7 days before they are reordered. Then it needs to arrive from GW and then it gets shipped. Thats the worst case scenario.

That looks like where I am. The items I ordered were all listed as in stock, in
multiples, both when I ordered and for 5 days following that. Then on the 6th day I get a note to say one of the items is out of stock, and the rest have only just been shipped.

Noting your custom title, I checked your website. I expect I will be ordering from you later this year. I really liked the 'traffic light' graphic used on your site showing what is or isn't in stock, and where things are out of stock an indication of the delay. Info up front is great!

polymphus
02-11-2009, 05:13
A note for all NZ trademe users: a bloke called tiny_tabletop has been selling discount minis for a while now. He's currently 7 weeks overdue with about $125 worth of stuff I've ordered. Most of the complaints in his feedback are directed at slow delivery times, but I'd still recommend steering clear of him.

lorelorn
12-11-2009, 03:05
It's now 20 days since I ordered from Maelstrom, and the item listed as 'in stock' when I ordered, and for five days after that, has still not been shipped.

The rest of the order arrived two days ago. It was well-packed in a sturdy box with bubble wrap, no issues there (other than time).

Crymson
12-11-2009, 08:46
I have just sent them an email. My order of the Skaven Army Book has been sitting in 'packing' status since the weekend.

lorelorn
12-11-2009, 10:32
My first order spent three full days in packing. The second spent four. I just received the email saying it has been shipped.

Crymson
12-11-2009, 10:42
My first order spent three full days in packing. The second spent four. I just received the email saying it has been shipped.

Just got the email myself.

Drakon
13-11-2009, 02:49
just placed my first order with maelstrom:

2 boxes of wolf packs
2 vindicators
1 Apoc book

The apoc book alone is half the price 24 pounds as opposed to 95NZ wtf. the whole purchase is 102 pounds which will be around 220ish if i walked in it would have cost me alot more than that.

Now just have to wait for the goods to come :(

outbreak
13-11-2009, 04:29
I have used maelstrom about 15 times now. Never had an issue that i haven't had with other online stores. Occasionally an order will take a week or so before it is in stock at their end and then packed in shipped over a couple days. All up the longest i've had something take to get to me is about 3 weeks but that's not too bad considering other items (cds, shirts, records) i've ordered from the u.s and u.k have taken over a month to get to me and that's with me paying for shipping!
If your in aus it's also worth checking out www.battlebunker.com new store in melbourne (with a concrete storefront) with discount prices who will ship out to you if you don't trust overseas sites.

Plaguebeast
13-11-2009, 08:07
If your in aus it's also worth checking out www.battlebunker.com new store in melbourne (with a concrete storefront) with discount prices who will ship out to you if you don't trust overseas sites.

Thanks a lot for that - it seems a strange spot for a gaming store, but hey, it's easier for me to get to by car than the CBD and they seem to have the best discount in town, so I'll definitely check them out.

Plaguebeast

ctsteel
13-11-2009, 22:32
Thanks a lot for that - it seems a strange spot for a gaming store, but hey, it's easier for me to get to by car than the CBD and they seem to have the best discount in town, so I'll definitely check them out.

Plaguebeast

Milsims are 20% off compared to Battle Bunker's 15%
http://milsims.shopau.info/catalog/index.php

They are located in Bentleigh.

According to the email newsletter I get from them, they are also having a special "in store only" sale this weekend with an additional 5% off GW stuff.

Plaguebeast
13-11-2009, 23:24
Too bad it's in Bentleigh - the 20% saving would be cancelled by what I have to spend in petrol driving there :D.

Plaguebeast

isaac
14-11-2009, 06:36
Not in OZ, but the only complaint I have with Maelstrom is the time delay, otherwise it is great.

And if the once per week stocking is true, then that explains it.

Scryer in the Darkness
14-11-2009, 20:13
Yeah, GW's recently introduced policy of one trade order per week has played a bit of havoc with how quickly some indies can turn around orders.

Demonborger
15-11-2009, 02:41
Games Empire have 20% off all warhammer regular retail also.

http://www.gamesempire.com.au/

Based in Sydney too if anyone out there lives in Sydney.

Usagi3
16-11-2009, 16:18
Wayland is a great GW retailer, too !

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/

lorelorn
18-11-2009, 10:38
I just put in an order for some in-stock items from Wayland Games, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

rich1231
18-11-2009, 12:08
If you are the person that just purchased 7 of a particular item, then the full number isnt in stock. And should be in stock in just under a week.

Regards

Rich

lorelorn
19-11-2009, 02:14
I was! Dang!

(thanks for letting me know)

Crymson
19-11-2009, 09:40
My order from Maelstrom arrived today.

Grapeshot
19-11-2009, 15:41
I use Maelstrom. Most orders arrive by 3 weeks. Verdict was good, until my latest order, took about a month for delivery, which included a White Dwarf. Yet, by the hammer of Sigmar, they sent me a wrong issue. Has been waiting for a reply from them for 3 days. I'm counting.

lorelorn
20-11-2009, 01:22
The second part of my Maelstrom order arrived today. It was in a padded envelope so suffered some crushing damage. Luckily the plastic box insert protected the figures. Here's the timeline for those thinking about using them:

Day 0: Order placed for in-stock items, credit card immediately debited for full order amount
Day 6: Order processed. One item found to be now out of stock.
Day 7: First part of order mailed out.
Day 18: First part of order arrives.
Day 20: Final part of order mailed out.
Day 28: Final part of order arrives.

I'd be interested in hearing how the others on this thread go. The timeline would be okay if they hadn't spent a week getting to my order (other than charging me!). 6-12 days is my usual wait for EU/US items to arrive.

StormCrow
24-11-2009, 00:10
honestly 28 days is fairly standard when ordering from the US/UK. I for one love ordering through Maelstrom as i just recently saved $150 AU by ordering 2 skaven battalions through them rather than GW OZ. In the past when one of my packages didn't arrive they promptly sent out a replacement no questions asked. And with free shipping and a christmas sale on now i think you'd be hard pressed to get a better deal anywhere else.
That said there are always great bargains on the US ebay site for aussies. Just recently i bought 30 well painted horrors on magnetic bases that were cheaper than the bare metal equivalent you would get from a GW store.

lorelorn
24-11-2009, 00:33
honestly 28 days is fairly standard when ordering from the US/UK.

Maelstrom are certainly cheap, no arguments there. With the sale on now I could get two boxes of Warlord Games' Dacians for $1 more than the price of a single box here. It's tempting.

28 days standard? Not in my world. Here's a list of items I have received from the US/UK in the 6-12 day window:
Personal mail (letters - the record is four days door-to-door, but that's an outlier)
personal mail (parcels)
Games Workshop Mail Order (UK)
Clothing (ThinkGeek, Penny Arcade, Lochers)
Cards (MTG Card Kingdom)
Books (Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk)

I send and receive a lot of mail, and I honestly cannot remember the last time something took 28 days. Even postcards arrive quicker these days. I'd be interested to hear where (other than Maelstrom) you order from that 28 days is some kind of 'standard'.

someone2040
25-11-2009, 05:54
Yeah, usually stuff from the UK I've found has been alright, expecting about 2 weeks delivery time.
I used Games Warehouse Online (www.gwonline.biz) since Maelstrom didn't reply to my email (They have a fairly restricted address entry, where you need to enter everything... Doesn't exactly cater to Post Office Boxes. No reply from them on how to get around it, so I took my business elsewhere). Was pleasantly surprised, it only took them about a week and a half to get all my stuff to me. So they get a thumbs up from me if you want an alternative to Maelstrom (Although Maelstrom of course, offer quite a broad range of other games).

Crymson
25-11-2009, 07:24
So they have free delivery too?

lorelorn
08-12-2009, 23:29
Here's my Wayland Games order timeline, by way of comparison. Crymson, they charge postage, but remove VAT.

Day 0: Order placed, order processed, found to be in insufficient stock
Day 5(I think): Stock re-ordered from GW (I just missed their weekly order)
Day 11: Stock arrives from GW, CC charged, order dispatched
Day 19: Order arrives. Was packed in a single sturdy box, with those little air-filled bags to prevent movement during transit.

So a significantly shorter wait, mainly down to GW only letting them order once per week, and taking their sweet time sending the stock through when it was ordered.

I definitely recommend Wayland to Aus/NZ gamers. My tip would be to place your order on a Thursday or Friday. That way, if it's not in stock, they can order it from GW the following Monday, meaning less of a wait.

Plaguebeast
11-12-2009, 08:26
I caved in and ordered a Steamtank from Maelstrom (well, it was forty-odd dollars off the Australian RRP :rolleyes:). Made the order on Sunday 22 November, it was dispatched on 4 December, and I received it today. Definitely worth the three week wait with the saving I made. Cheers Maelstrom!

Plaguebeast

lorelorn
11-12-2009, 09:51
Nice :)

Ordering from the UK really gives us Aus residents some massive savings right now.