PDA

View Full Version : Help me plan a force based on speculation of Skaven Battalion box.

gorenut
14-10-2009, 19:19
Hey there.. I just wanna plan ahead of time on planning a 1k Skaven force when they release... specifically based on the Battalion box. Now I've heard 2 speculations... at GW one of the employees said:
40 Clan Rats
20 Storm Vermin
and Rat Ogres plus giant rats, etc

Which is diff than what I've read on Warseer:
40 Clan Rats
20 Plague Monks
Rat Ogres...

I'm more inclined to believe Warseer postings vs random GW employees... as far as what I want in my army.. for sure I want atleast an assassin and probably a Doomwheel. Roughly how many points will either of those potential boxes come out to?

On a side note.. there is a huge possibility that I'll convert the Rat Ogres into a Hellpit Abomination.. not a huge fan of just the Rat Ogre models.. or I might just trade em all together for either Plague Monks or Storm Vermin depending on which box set is true. Thanks in advance!

outbreak
15-10-2009, 05:37
skaven are a horde army, you probably want 2 battalions and a rare choice.

I'd try something like this for a core then try and squeeze in some censer bearers and what not.

1 chieftan (for leadership)
1 warlock engineer
25-30 clanrats
25-30 clanrats
20 slaves
20 slaves
12 giant rats
24 plague monks
4 rat ogres

Ixquic
15-10-2009, 13:13
I had a manager confirm the warseer plague monk box so I'd bank on that one since it seems more likely since the Storm Vermin are somewhat expensive compared to the other boxes.

The problem in my opinion is that it sucks you don't really get enough giant rats or ogres to make good units. They can't really split them since they are on the same sprue and I understand that but it feels like you need to buy lots of boxes to get enough stuff and half of which you won't use.

Grimmeth
15-10-2009, 15:12
Can buy metal Giant Rats to add to units from GW from mail order - Rat Ogres are another issue though...

gorenut
15-10-2009, 16:39
So it'll take atleast 2 battalion boxes to get to 1k even with maxed out characters and upgrades?

I know I'm kind of in the wrong mindset for Skaven - them being a hoard army and all, but the models are just too awesome for me to resist collecting a small force.

Oh yea, note that I do plan on getting a Doomwheel and definitely and Assassin.

Also: I'm wondering how much you'll actually save with the Battalion box. I'm almost inclined to just get the models separately as I am not a huge fan of Rat Ogre models (and they retail for $40). Possibly get 4 clan rat boxes, 2 plague monk boxes.. not sure about Stormvermin since they're kind of pricey... and it seems like you'll need atleast another 5 models to make an effective unit (I suppose I can just do the cop-out way and create a unit filler).

mrtn
15-10-2009, 17:09
If you get extra plague monks, you can use all the rats spread out on that sprue for giant rats (I think you get 16 per box or something) and convert a few monks to handlers. The rest can be used for all sorts of conversions, litter bearers, plague censer bearers, plague priest, clanrats (just add a shield), jezzail shooters (use kroot rifles), get some gas masks and make poison wind globadiers, the list just goes on. :)

decker_cky
15-10-2009, 18:02
Also: I'm wondering how much you'll actually save with the Battalion box. I'm almost inclined to just get the models separately as I am not a huge fan of Rat Ogre models (and they retail for $40). Possibly get 4 clan rat boxes, 2 plague monk boxes.. not sure about Stormvermin since they're kind of pricey... and it seems like you'll need atleast another 5 models to make an effective unit (I suppose I can just do the cop-out way and create a unit filler).

I think the battalion itself is a little more expensive now, but previously, buying 2 clanrat boxes and a plague monk box cost as much as buying a battalion. For the little bit extra it costs now, I'd just buy the battalions if you're starting out. If nothing else, the rat ogres can be used for cool unit fillers.

gorenut
15-10-2009, 18:02
mrtn: Thanks for the suggestions. I am a sucker for conversions.. probably my favorite aspect of the hobby. I'm just extremely unfamiliar with the Skaven army (I've actually never seen a full army in person) and those definitely give me great ideas to start on.