PDA

View Full Version : How many army books do you have of armies that you don't collect?

Grom Wronghand
14-10-2009, 19:19
The title pretty much says it all. How many army books do you own whose corresponding armies you have no intention of collecting?

Bac5665
14-10-2009, 19:22
All of them (except empire, but there keeps been other new shinys out there every time I get ready to buy that book...)

Matrim_Cauthon
14-10-2009, 19:34
All of them, except Brettonia. Don't know why, but I really don't like that army, fluffwise or mini-wise.

Malorian
14-10-2009, 19:35
I buy every book.

Not only does it help to know your enemy but it also lets me know the rules for running my arena of death battles ;)

LKHERO
14-10-2009, 19:40
Same.

I have every book.

chaoshead87
14-10-2009, 19:42
I buy every army book that comes out. Know your foe.

Midevil216
14-10-2009, 19:46
I buy every book.

Midevil216
14-10-2009, 19:48
The only armies I dont have at lease 2,000 pts for are Orcs & Goblins, Dwarfs and Wood Elves. (Though I do own the books)

Though I only really play Vampire Counts and Dark Elves.

I like to collect the models, paint them up, and display them on shelves.
I have so many painted armies but really only play two of them.

My wife plays the Ogres, Tomb Kings and Brett's.

Lijacote
14-10-2009, 20:26
The first books I bought were the old Hordes of Chaos and Beasts of Chaos army books, then I bought daemons for both 40k and FB, Eldar because 40k started getting interesting and Warriors of Chaos and Dark Elves, just because I had the money. I love all the books.

The only army I play is FB daemons.

The Anarchist
14-10-2009, 20:37
I've got so most, though soem are last eddition, so no new VC or dark elves ones.

Braad
14-10-2009, 20:43
Well... its discussable where I belong.
For myself, I got O&G, OK and Beastmen.
I intend to do something with all of them, I just don't have time to paint stuff for both beasts and ogres, as I just got too many orcs :p
The 'collect soon' bit... yeah, it just won't be very soon. So I voted 1-3.

N810
14-10-2009, 20:48
I have 6th and 7th edition of Lizardmen...

And I can neither confirm nor deny that I have PDF's of all the other books. :rolleyes:

Keller
14-10-2009, 20:48
I only buy books for armies which I collect. I am interested in reading up on special rules and such for armies I regularly play against, so I tend to borrow and read over the owner's copy, atleast for a few minutes whenever I can.

I have managed to seek out any buy older books for my armies as well, just to get some more fluff and background perspective that is lacking in newer books.

Malice&Mizery
14-10-2009, 20:49
Mm, I buy them all too.

Tymell
14-10-2009, 20:49
All of 'em. Although I don't do so for tactical advantage: I just like owning the books, coming up with army lists, reading background, etc :)

Draquenoire
14-10-2009, 20:50
I buy every fantasy book. I'm starting to do that with 40k too. But I don't read them to "know my enemy". I guess I just like reading them.

Bloodknight
15-10-2009, 00:22
I voted 1-3. The only book that I tend to buy without playing the army is the Dwarf book (I've collected two armies worth of them - and sold them again - because I like the models and especially the fluff, but they are not fun to play, IMO).

outbreak
15-10-2009, 01:07
i have all the books in pdf format to go over. I buy the book if i start the army so i currently own in book format tomb kings, dwarfs and soon to be skaven (just borrowing 6th ed book for now until new ones out, may buy the 6ths ed if my LGS drops it's price enough to clear it)

Avian
15-10-2009, 06:07
Now that I think of it, I have a reasonable stack of army books, but only the ones I play are current. The rest are mainly from 4th/5th edition (the days with well-written background). ;)

I voted 0.

kardar233
15-10-2009, 06:13
Between my friend and I, we have a copy of nearly every book in the game; IIRC, we're still missing Brettonians and Beasts.

Looking for a copy of Hordes.

Jind_Singh
15-10-2009, 06:22
Dangerous - I had some really old Deamon models so I bought the Daemons book.
I bought the Warriors of Chaos book and loved reading it, but I didnt end of collecting an army.
So then I bought the Ogres, again didnt collect an army.
Then I bought the Orcs & Goblins - again all good in the hood.
Finally I bought Empire

At this point I thought - not bad! Collecting books, know the enemy, etc, and not getting side tracked into getting armies......

Now I own armies for all the above apart from Warriors of Chaos (And only reason being DoC is Chaos so wasn't excited about another Chaos army).

So dont collect books - you'll end up owning too much stuff!!!

maze ironheart
15-10-2009, 08:47
The title pretty much says it all. How many army books do you own whose corresponding armies you have no intention of collecting?

I have 5 army books of armys I don't play with.

GuyLeCheval
15-10-2009, 08:52
I voted 0. For someone like me who is always in money shortage, I can't simply afford every single book. Plus looking at these warseer threads, I know good enough what strenght an enemie's army could have.

Desert Rain
15-10-2009, 09:27
The only 7th edition books I have bought is Lizardmen and High Elves, the armies that I play. However, I have most of the 6th edition ones. I have "bought" some 7th edition ones as PDFs however. I would really like to have all the books in book format, but they are too expensive to buy.

wilsongrahams
15-10-2009, 09:29
0. I have 4 books, but only three armies, however I do intend to collect the fourth. I like to read the histories etc as well as planning what to buy long in advance. I may get a few more in the future but it would depend what the content of them are or if they are soon to be replaced.

Fenrir
15-10-2009, 09:33
I own a lot of books, but I've been playing for a long time and had a lot of armies. I don't buy a book to check up on the opposition, as I don't take the game that seriously.

EmperorNorton
15-10-2009, 09:35
I voted 0, although owning only the army books for armies I have means that I have all army books but 4.

Doi
15-10-2009, 09:37
All of 'em. Although I don't do so for tactical advantage: I just like owning the books, coming up with army lists, reading background, etc :)

I don't own all of them (but I'm getting there), but buy them for the same reasons as Tymell. Buying them for a tactical advantage isn't much use to me since I dont play very often :p. I buy them to read the background and write up lists for armies I'd like to do in the future (boy is that list long...). Though I haven't read half of those I own outside of flicking through them the day I bought them because I've got so many books in my room that I've bought and haven't read that I've run out of fingers and toes to count them all. And that is before I count warhammer books :p.

Doi

Aza
15-10-2009, 11:21
Have all except for the old Chaos book (they splitted anyways) and Tomb Kings.

Just love to read the fluff and get a better idea of what may be fielded against me.
The other thing is that it always feels abit good when you can correct that cocky friend on a rule he tries to abuse ;)

The SkaerKrow
15-10-2009, 12:33
I own them all, primarily for the lore/back story/art.

DarthSte
15-10-2009, 12:36
I try to buy them as they come out. I have many leather bound books.

Alathir
15-10-2009, 13:31
I've started buying all the 7th edition ones.

O&G'sRule
15-10-2009, 13:36
I have all of them, fantasy and 40k

scarletsquig
15-10-2009, 13:38
I buy the ones for armies that I have.

The rest I either skim read a friend's copy during their movement phase or grab a .pdf out of curiosity.

Don't see the need to have a copy on hand all the time, and there's no point paying out an extra 150 every edition.

Rogue
15-10-2009, 16:10
I have around 11 current books. I have models for all of them but I have not assembled nearly any of my armies as of yet. I want to get some of my box sets out of storage first. This is not including DOW and Kislev PDF's that I have collected as well.

Craze_b0i
26-12-2012, 02:00
I have one, Empire. I bought it as a fluff-reference book more than anything because obviously Empire is such a central part of the background setting. Never really fancied collecting them though, they just seem too generic.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
26-12-2012, 04:19
In 6th edition I had them all. This edition, I just have the army I play; which was the first hard cover "full sepia" army book.

DaemonReign
26-12-2012, 08:01
We tend to buy all books. Have been doing so for a couple of years. This means that we don't have the WE Army Book because it was released in an edition when our hobbying lay dormant - but other than that I can't Think of an army book that we don't have at least one edition of. Since we only play 6 of the factions in our Group this is mostly to be regarded as reference-reading.

Eyrenthaal
26-12-2012, 09:04
Dangerous - I had some really old Deamon models so I bought the Daemons book.
I bought the Warriors of Chaos book and loved reading it, but I didnt end of collecting an army.
So then I bought the Ogres, again didnt collect an army.
Then I bought the Orcs & Goblins - again all good in the hood.
Finally I bought Empire

At this point I thought - not bad! Collecting books, know the enemy, etc, and not getting side tracked into getting armies......

Now I own armies for all the above apart from Warriors of Chaos (And only reason being DoC is Chaos so wasn't excited about another Chaos army).

So dont collect books - you'll end up owning too much stuff!!!

I've started collecting books.. Cheaper than models unless you fall into the same trap as you did jind... (Yeah, I seriously think I can do what you couldn't, I'm such a fool...) But I limited myself to buying the new hardcovers. So right now I'm at 3. Having both an empire and o&g army (prior to buying the books!)..

At least for now I'm good. I don't hold any love for ogres, tk or the vc. But future books might hurt the wallet...

Rob

Urgat
26-12-2012, 10:37
I got plenty of older armybooks for armies I don't have. Not this edition though, I don't have much money to spare for the hobby at the moment, unfortunately.

m1acca1551
26-12-2012, 12:45
I pick em up if i can get them for a good price, more for the fluff aspect than rally understanding what i'm going to be facing. I like to read the back ground and stories of other armies and how they affect the Old World.

Naley
26-12-2012, 16:19
Voted 1. Have the VC codex since you can use them in storm of magic but dont collect them. Tough I have 40 zombies for fun :) I really like to collect all the campaign books but the collection doesnt include army books. Might have to collect some, but then it must be 8 edt. books as I like the hardback books better.

yarrickson
26-12-2012, 16:48
There was a time when I would always have every army book and every codex. However with the increased cost of the books I am down to only buying for the armies that I myself use. I do have three of the current Brettonian army book so that I have one in my case for games, 1 in my hobby room for army list writing and 1 good copy on the bookshelf for reference. This was more by chance than design. So far I have not bought a hardback army book. This will change soon though with the long awaited 40k release of the Dark Angels. And will also change as soon as one of my fantasy armies receives an update (c'mon Brets!)

The bearded one
26-12-2012, 17:04
So far Ive bought every new armybook that has come out. I like to read fluff, look at artwork and learn the capabilites of the army and whatever new units are added.

Gorbad Ironclaw
26-12-2012, 18:28
I own quite a number of older army books, but I'm not sure I actually own any of the current range at all. I haven't upgraded to the latest versions of the armies I do have and I'm much more likely to get the 4th/5th books for background stuff than the newer ones.

Lord Cedric
26-12-2012, 18:40
All of them - at least in digital or book form and/or a combination of both. For physical books, I have all but current Demons, Beasts, and Chaos Dwarfs, which incidently I don't own those armies yet, but I do have digital versions of them. I usually pick up a decent used book of a possible future army first, read it's fluff and view it's miniature range, prior to collecting them in order to guage my interest, which is why the last 3 remaining armies for me to collect have yet to reach my shelves... though Beasts are becoming a bit of a drawn-interest for me of current but I am trying to hold my willpower on collecting until a new book and/or model wave comes out for them. FW Chaos Dwarfs will probably me the last army for me to collect due to price and used-model availability.

- Lord Cedric

Justicar_Freezer
26-12-2012, 20:11
It used to be that between my best friend and I we'd end up with all the books for an edition. Heck I have a bookshelf full of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th/5th edition 40k books and of 6th and 7th edition warhammer fantasy books. It was just an enjoyment of the fluff and always thinking of wanting to try a new army list out that kept us buying. Though now with the move to hardbacks and the increased cost I've not bought any and my buddy has only bought the OnG and the VC books. Sad as it is to say I think our army book/codex collecting days are over.

Danny76
26-12-2012, 20:20
Back in the day, most I had. But now, they are a bit pricey.
Bought a few recently but only for a few that I intend to start (at some point =) ) when I'm ready..

pippin_nl
26-12-2012, 20:37
I buy all the books and I also think that gives me the right to have all of them in PDF form. It is a service GW should also provide, even if you could only access them when online.

Storyteller
26-12-2012, 21:15
I've only got books for my Bretonnians (5th and 6th ed) so I voted 0, but I would probably buy more if one of my regular opponents didn't have so many of them. He was lucky enough to stumble across a store closing down just as he was getting into the hobby so he's got most of the 5th edition books, and he's picked up a number of the later ones which interest him also.

I'm really not one to pay much attention to the rules specific to my opponents though - I read them for the background (especially the 5th edition ones).

monstallion
26-12-2012, 21:21
Use to get em all but now cost too much especially with a family to look after. If costs were not an issue for me I would still get them all just need to be more careful with my hobby spending.

Daniel36
26-12-2012, 21:56
I bought all of them starting with the latest Tomb Kings, so basically everything released after 8th hit, including Storm of Magic and Blood in the Badlands. What can I say, I am a sucker for that kind of stuff.

Having said that, I will go on a rampage if they decide to do the army book binding differently.

The bearded one
26-12-2012, 23:44
In 6th edition I had them all. This edition, I just have the army I play; which was the first hard cover "full sepia" army book.

After the first 2, they became more coloured than just a sepia.

The full-page artwork looks pretty good and coloured in all of them though, and this alone makes them pretty enough for me to buy.

chromedog
27-12-2012, 01:22
I don't have ANY army books.
I use my club library copy to play with my High Elf army.
(my club has copies of most of the army books for fantasy that members can borrow - we have the rulebooks as well, but they can't be taken out of the club - the "reference" section).

orlanth1000
27-12-2012, 04:40
Everyone since they have been released.

Though I managed to lose Daemons between New Zealand and Australia.

Maybe the great man, Mat(T) Ward is telling me something.........

Treg Almighty
27-12-2012, 05:14
I love collecting anything really, and with full colour hardbacks, I really can't resist. I have all the 8th edition books so far, and I find that by the time I've read it, I've lost the 'look, it's shiny and new and I have to have it' bug which I get when new models are released. Even though the books are pricey, I probably save money in the long run because I don't want to buy the new models

Hicks
27-12-2012, 07:00
My answer should be in the negative, because I own armies for which I don't even have the latest armybook. No way I'm paying $60 for a book that slim.

Nubl0
27-12-2012, 08:29
I have the books for the armies that I play, but starting with the new books I decided that I would own all the 8th ed books. They looks pretty all lined up next to one another... what can I say. Looking forward to the new warriors/daemons when they get around to it.

Ebon
27-12-2012, 10:43
For the most part, I just have the books for armies I play with the exception of three where I intended to collect the army but didn't for various reasons.

snyggejygge
27-12-2012, 15:21
During 5:th & 6:th edition I bought every book there was, then during 7:th I just bought those I played myself & those who were so called tier 1 books, to know what I could face in tournaments, however since I don't play more than 1 tournament a year now I just buy the books for the armies I play myself & those who might be interesting to read.

arthurfallz
27-12-2012, 15:47
I have the army books for the armies I collect, but also picked up the Orcs & Goblins book because I just love that army, even if I can't afford to start a new one. I still look through it occasionally just to put a smile on my face. My Skaven book is dusty along with the army.

Lars Porsenna
27-12-2012, 18:37
As of now I only have the army books for the armies I actually collect. Caveat: I'm not including armybooks from previous editions. If that was the case, the number would rise...

Damon.

TheDungen
27-12-2012, 18:43
well no 8th edition ones at all but pretty much all the 6th edition ones and a fair few 7thedition ones (and a few 6th ed ones).

-Loki-
28-12-2012, 03:47
I buy army books when I intend to collect an army. Whether I end up collecting them or not after getting the book is another matter - which is how I've ended up with quite a few 40k codices. I've got no burning need to 'know my enemy' or read all of the available fluff for everything. Right now for Fantasy, I've got a grand total of 3 army books - 6th edition, 7th edition and 8th edition Vampire Counts.

6th because that's when I first tried to get into the army. That fell through. 7th, because that was the next time I tried, and succeeded. 8th, because, well, I'm still collecting them.

Lorcryst
02-01-2013, 02:33
Holy Threadomancy Batman !!

This one was started in 2009 ...

Voted 'all of them' anyway, I even have a spare Bretonnia AB I'm trying to sell ...

Kula
02-01-2013, 09:15
I've got my Dark Elves book since I play that army. I also bought the O&G book and the VC book. I will also buy the dwarf book when it comes out and then choose between those 3 armies as my 2. army. Most likely O&G or maybe Dwarfs, but only if they turn out differently in this edition.

boli
02-01-2013, 10:02
I buy and have the hard-copies of armies I play with... but I have digital copies of every army book so I can compare/contrast and if I ever face an army I do not own I can read up on them beforehand.

Liability
02-01-2013, 21:38
Holy Threadomancy Batman !!

This one was started in 2009 ...

No wonder so many people said that they own them all - I can barely afford 1 book at the current prices!

10 each, I'd buy every one. At ~30 I'm not buying any more than I absolutely need.

librerian_samae
02-01-2013, 21:55
So far all of them but if the price of the chaos marine dex is the new standard I doubt I'm going to even get the books for the armies I do play. :(

Scythe
03-01-2013, 09:18
For fantasy, all of them currently, though prices might cause me to reconsider buying everything in the future. I don't think I will be picking up much for 40k, only the armies I'm really interested in. I don't have the new Chaos marine book, and the space marine books don't interest me in the slightest (and honestly, the Grey Knight and Space Wolf books which I did buy were abysmal), so I'll probably be saving some money there.

Convictus
03-01-2013, 19:55
I have a bunch of the older edition, softcover army books for factions I never played sitting on my bookshelf. They were much cheaper then. As for the new edition, I'm only interested in the books for the armies I collect and play - their far too expensive, I think, to justify buying merely as reading material.

colonel kane trine
03-01-2013, 20:56
I have all 4 editions of the vampire/undead army books.
At one stage i did buy every army book but now for the price it isnt worth it.

I do plan on buying the new hardback books for warriors of chaos and maybe campaign books in the style of blood in the badlands but other than that im not bothering

ill keep my expensive book habit to buying the forgeworld fantasy expansions. Tamurkhan is amazing and so is monstrous arcanuum.

Lordcypress
04-01-2013, 00:17
I have the books for my armies. In my gaming group the only army that is missing is Beastmen now. The internet provides me with all the info I need.

P.S. I keep tabs on the Herdstone.............:shifty:

Ratarsed
04-01-2013, 07:24
I have all the 6th and 7th edition books, but for 8th with my reduced interest in competitive games and the price rise I have just bought those for the armies I play. ( empire and Orc and goblins). If I want to read the fluff and look at the pictures I will just borrow a friends. Between us there is not a fantasy army we do not collect.

En Sabbah Nur
04-01-2013, 10:37
I have every books, for I collect all armies. Call me a dork :p

popisdead
09-01-2013, 00:29
I am in the process of looking at a full second wave of army books/codexes that are now being replaced (started in 6th ed and well,.. Rogue Trader) and since I have sold off the impulse buy armies ("OMG if I buy a couple Skaven sets from Isle of Blood off friends I can start a Skaven army cheap"),.. AND GW has doubled the cost of army books/codexes I have stopped buying them. Which works great as I play Wood Elves which will never get a new book :P

I've actually given away a few books lately. My GW shelves are shrinking drastically and the benefit is my usable painted model count has probably doubled accordingly.

Horus Lupercal
09-01-2013, 00:35
I have all codex and army books from about 2ed ago in 40k and WHFB, even one or two duplicates for some unknown reason!

corps
15-01-2013, 12:12
only for the fluff