PDA

View Full Version : Who's your favourite 40K artist?

djinn8
14-10-2009, 21:34
This is not for describing your favourite picture, rather your favourite artistic style. For my it is between Alex Boyd and David Gallagher. I think Boyd edges into first place though as his pictures look that little more complete that Gallagher's. The buildings and backgrounds are a little more detailed and he doesn't have that scetchy quality that can be found at the extemities of Gallagher's works.

Also as a sub question, which codex do you think has the best artwork in it? For me it's a toss up between the Guard and the Marine Codex. The Space Wolf dex is nice too, but as I haven't had a good enough chance to look through it properly I can't say whether it's as good as the above two.

Oh yeah and what's your favourite codex cover: Tau for me. Just looks awesome.

PondaNagura
14-10-2009, 21:43
adrian smith. as for artwork, I've always liked the 3.5 chaos dexes pieces mostly because it was a collection from the index astartes article pieces. i'll get back later on codex cover.

Thud
14-10-2009, 22:07
Don't know about a definite favourite, but Adrian Smith and Karl Kopinski both do esceptional work.

HerrDusty
14-10-2009, 22:08
Adrian Smith's work in the Wolves codex is pretty incredible, and I really liked his stuff in the 3.5 Chaos dex.

ashc
14-10-2009, 22:19
The new stuff in the Space Wolf book is amazing.

Arh, I think most of the new stuff from the Chaos Space Marine book is by David Gallagher and I think it looks terrible. Like sketches-by-a-15-year-old-boy-in-a-notepad terrible.

Trogdor
14-10-2009, 23:25
John Blanche. What?

Hellebore
14-10-2009, 23:30
John Blanche. What?

You answered the question correctly. He's the only one at GW allowed to be an artist, the rest are constrained as illustrators.

Hellebore

James S
14-10-2009, 23:40
Anyone have links to any of these artworks?

Trogdor
14-10-2009, 23:42
You answered the question correctly. He's the only one at GW allowed to be an artist, the rest are constrained as illustrators.

Hellebore

I'd certainly agree with you on that point. I'd say he and Jes Goodwin are the two most influential artists within the studio, at least as far as 40k is concerned - whether this is a good thing is another point entirely, of course. A far as the "illustrators" go, I'd say Mark Gibbons is the second greatest influence on the overall art direction 40k has taken - few have bettered his seminal Avatar, for instance.

rabblerouser
15-10-2009, 00:52
Yup. Adrian smith by a long shot. His emperor's janitors are awesome. But the best by far is that big picture of the emperor and horus.

Close second - sam wood for blades of the traitor in visions of war.

LonelyPath
15-10-2009, 01:58
I always loves the work Kev Walker and Mark Gibbons produced for 40k, but Blanche has been my favourite for the entire time I've been following the "hobby" (to use that bad word).

Dexter099
15-10-2009, 02:13
Whoever did the WoC drawings, they were incredible.

I think it was Adrian Smith.

antin3
15-10-2009, 02:16
Kopinski by a long shot, I love his stuff. Blanche I like for the inspiration but Kopinski is awesome.

Thud
15-10-2009, 02:19
John Blanche. What?

Now you've made me feel dirty for forgetting him.

djinn8
15-10-2009, 02:22
Bah!!! I made a mistake in my OP. I meant Kopinski and and Boyd. Not Boyd and Gallagher. Getting the names mixed up.

khyron
15-10-2009, 02:28
John Blanche by far.

Grimbad
15-10-2009, 02:35

Has long been my view on the subject. Some of the others can produce inspiring pieces, but paintings of models are never as good as paintings of ideas, I think.

Lord Caldera
15-10-2009, 05:00
Adrian Smith, hands down. I keep my copy of the 3.5 Chaos codex on hand just so I can look at the art. It's just embarrassing that GW chose whoever they did to do the 4ed Chaos dex, there's no comparison.

Plaguebeast
15-10-2009, 05:21
Gallagher used to be quite good, but I can't help but feel he has gotten lazy with his more recent (as in, over the last few years) work. It's more apparent in Fantasy, but all the faces he draws look virtually identical - just take a look at the Empire cover.

For 40K though, none surpass John Blanche - the 40K universe is much more suited to his style than Fantasy. Honourable mentions go to Adrian Smith, Mark Gibbons and Karl Kopinski.

Plaguebeast

Tokugawa100
15-10-2009, 05:26
Whoever drew that new image of Dark Eldar riading and killing, if thats the guy who does the images in the ork and eldar codexes I love it.

Also in the previous codex the first couple of two page art pieces are some of my favorites.

DuskRaider
15-10-2009, 05:31
John Blanche, 100%. Although I absolutely love the realism Karl Kopinski puts into his Imperial Armour paintings as well. His work on the previous Chaos codex was astounding, as well.

ORKY ARD BOYZ
15-10-2009, 05:56
John Blanche, he has a distinctly Gothic feel to his artwork.

superdupermatt
17-10-2009, 23:51
I have one word for you. Well actually two. TECHNICALLY speaking, its a name. Well, to be pedantic, its two seperate names, a forename and a surname.... but I digress somewhat.

Mark Gibbons.

Urath
18-10-2009, 00:32
John Blance, Karl Kopinski and Adrian Smith.

Ravening Wh0re
18-10-2009, 01:58
Easy. Kopinski followed by Dainton.
These two are the only reason why I buy army books/codices these days, although I haven't seen anything from Kopinski lately (apart from in the Bloodbowl videogame). On the other hand, they are rinsing out Dainton's artwork in most books.

CraftworldsRus
18-10-2009, 03:03
I have to vote for John Blanche. I mean, he is really the person that DEFINED the images of 40k

mdauben
18-10-2009, 16:34
Not to start a flame war, but I honestly wonder at all the love John Blanche gets in these favorite artist threads. The man seems to have only the vaguest idea of human anatomy and his stuff looks mostly like some sort of juvenile chicken scratching to me. :wtf:

Obviously, from the reponses in these threads and the fact that he has been one of the main GW illustrators since the original Rougue Trader days I must be in the minority but I just don't understand it. :confused: