PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with an Elysian Army

Hattori Hanzo
15-10-2009, 05:03
I am gonna start an Elysian army and was wondering what you suggest I start with to get to 1750pts? (gonna use just regular IG codex, not IA version) I don't really know that much about guard I bought a Cadian army (like 500pts) a couple of years ago. How many Valkaries do you suggest I get? Can you make an effective guard army with only the limited heavy weapons of the Elysian model range? Also I'm trying to keep the model count kinda low any ideas on how to do that?

Raka
15-10-2009, 05:14
I am gonna start an Elysian army and was wondering what you suggest I start with to get to 1750pts?

Dudes and tanks. Perhaps an upgrade or two, or a sentinal?

Kriegfreak
15-10-2009, 06:27
Well there is no rule saying you can't simply use the models with a non air-ship type force. Though I'm guessing you want to go with a themed army somewhat? Valks and Vandettas would put a huge dent into that point cost and be really effective on the table. Might cost you a bit but I think it would be worth it. As mentioned above Sentinels are 'ok' game wise, but personally they are my favorite kit and there is loads of room for conversion. You'd probably want to field a squadron. Hellhounds and their variants are still in good taste, and the new kit goes together super smooth. You could still use Elysians as an all veteran force with 3 meltas in each squad like tank busters - give the squad 'forward sentries' and they get camo cloaks and snare mines. Not to shabby. I run a Krieg force at about the same points range and I've managed to keep the model count/cost relatively low.

With a couple of the things I've mentioned I think it should work out pretty good. Once the IA book comes out there should be even more options to help you out. Storm-troopers using some Pig Iron models wouldn't be a bad idea either imo. I'd highly suggest looking for Bungaroos Elysian project log as well in these forums for excellent reference material and inspiration.

I'd suggest at least 3 valks, possible 2 more to convert as Vandettas.

3 Sentinels

1-2 Hellhounds

1 storm trooper squad

+ anything else you'd want to fit in.

Just bear in mind when making a light infantry or fast cav army you loose a lot of the heavy hitting tank support most guard armies rely on. I'd think about that if you plan on wanting to at least win a few games. Keep meltas in mind, heavy bolters and auto-cannons to for armies who rely on larger numbers. Over all though keep your army the way you want it to be, there is nothing wrong a fluffy army. Good luck!

MajorWesJanson
15-10-2009, 07:38
Elysians work very well as veteran squads or special weapon squads with their easy access to demo charges and meltas. Not much long range anti-tank in a themed list, so Vendettas are a major player. I'd suggest pairs of aircraft for all three FA slots, valks with pods and vendettas. For heavy support, Griffons are light artillery and can fit in all right to a mobile list.

I use my elysians as vets, and am converting up a couple to be Harker and Bastogne to use with them. They stand out well as vets, and have the weapons options to use with them, such as triple meltas and a democharge for an anti-armor vet squad.

Cynisperer
15-10-2009, 14:11
Hmmm, I like the idea of making tht army, but when I think of them, I think of the ODST from Halo.... now if only I could use drop pods for IG...

Jimbobjeff
15-10-2009, 14:16
I'm using veteran squads, stormtroopers and a couple of command squads for mine, along with 3 valkyries and hopefully some vultures from forgeworld at some point. Its not the most competetive build but its not useless either, demo charges are your friend given the lack of tanks (in a fluffy army anyways) so I always bring at least two demolitions veterans and marbo.

Other than that its, melta/plasma/flamer spam packed into valkyries and flying straight at the enemy.

MajorWesJanson
15-10-2009, 16:43
Vultures are very nice looking, and a surprisingly easy build. I recommend getting one. I may pick up a second myself this weekend.

Bunnahabhain
15-10-2009, 18:12
Magnets.

Almost any army you build will have lots of valks and vendettas. Keep them interchangable, by magnetising weapons...

Other than that, the above posts are on the right lines.