PDA

View Full Version : 2nd set Terminator conversions

wilsongrahams
15-10-2009, 09:03
Hi guys, just thought I'd show my conversions before I finish off the bases and undercoat them in case I need to do some alterations etc.

Just so you know, these are spares from a second set and I haven't chopped up my originals like this!

Most are simple arm swaps to make sure they all have different right pads to the original figure.

spaint2k
15-10-2009, 12:26
Nice! I'll have to get mine up here sometime soon. I've removed all Blood Angel iconography but I've left the arms "as is". Unlike you, I only have one set to cut up. :)

wilsongrahams
15-10-2009, 12:34
Thanks, sure post them up, I've been dying to see other conversions on these models.

The sergeant was kept with a power fist to hark back to the captain with power fist and grenade launcher and the original game. The cyclone was used cos I had one spare.

I haven't yet thought of an effective way to convert Lorenzo without him looking almost exactly the same which is what I'm trying to avoid doing.

StefDa
15-10-2009, 12:54
I actually, stupidly, considered getting a few plastic boxes of Terminators just to build a set of Raven Guard or Space Wolves for my Space Hulk set... D'oh.

commandergabriel
15-10-2009, 13:21
Nice conversion job...

Well; it's not stupid to design other terminator squads to run through the missions with... Just your decision. The new space wolf terminator box has all the bit and pieces to construct the terminators you need to match the weapons the blood angels have from the SH box. I purchased 2 boxes of space wolf terminators, Njal and I have Logan Grimnar... That makes the 12 you get in the SH box. I have them half assembled now.

wilsongrahams
15-10-2009, 14:01
I have bought several of the plastic sets too because although the detail is excellent on the SH ones they will soon atart to look the same, and the poseability is useful. I will however be sculpting extra BA detail onto them with green stuff. My first squad was armed with lightning claws using forgeworld pads and just a couple of drips here and there but with my latest one - thunder hammers - i will be going all out like SH detail level, though it will take time and patience!

grg3d
15-10-2009, 14:29
commandergabriel

Well; it's not stupid to design other terminator squads to run through the missions with...

That's what I did except I bought 2 boxes of reg terminator and one box of assault terminator... a few rare earth magnets later and walla can equip any one with anything...works for me. my Sargent's can have

Storm Bolter and Power Sword
Thunder Hammer & Storm Sheild
Lighting Claws

or some not so normal equpment....
As far as the term that came with the 3E box well lets say my cost for the 3 boxes wend way down :D

wilsongrahams
15-10-2009, 15:36
commandergabriel

[/LIST]
or some not so normal equpment....
As far as the term that came with the 3E box well lets say my cost for the 3 boxes wend way down :D

I haven't a clue what you mean by this, unless you mean you sold them to fund the other three boxes? At 6+ each on ebay you're laughing, but being a BA player I NEEDED UPON PAIN OF DEATH to keep mine.

commandergabriel
15-10-2009, 15:39

Great... I have 2 SH sets so I was considering parting the termies from the second set.

And I have to say that I'm really not crazy about some of the termie poses... especially the one kneeling down pulling up the floor... what's up with that?

My space wolves are going to be all posed very aggressively; pointing the bolters, thunderhammers raised or ready to swing, lightning claws at the height of attack...

wilsongrahams
15-10-2009, 15:50
Actually I have sold off the Terminators I didn't want or were too difficult to modify properly and be unique. I sold nineteen and kept seven out of two sets and kept one complete set to myself. Apart from those five I converted I also kept Goriel and Lorenzo from one set. Goriel will now have a chainfist and possibly an assault cannon to swap out with the cyclone. Lorenzo is staying as an option to be parts to go with Lysander as a Captain Raphael conversion.

Although I wanted the extra tiles so bought multiple sets I didn't want all the same pose of Terminators so recouped some cash myself. The Stealers are in storage in case I ever do start that Genestealer Cult army.

Scipio is one of those poses you will either love or hate. He's either laying carpet or making a quick escape route.

Patriarch
15-10-2009, 16:49
And I have to say that I'm really not crazy about some of the termie poses... especially the one kneeling down pulling up the floor... what's up with that?

I've replaced all the bases with 30mm square covered in mesh (so they look like they are standing on walkways) - this makes facing clearer and the models more stable.
Scipio (the kneeling terminator) looks better with the "ripped" floor similarly meshed. Looks like he's digging up the floor to get a clear shot at a subterranean stealer.

grg3d
15-10-2009, 17:59
wilsongrahams Re: 2nd set Terminator conversions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by grg3d
commandergabriel
[/list]or some not so normal equipment....
As far as the term that came with the 3E box well lets say my cost for the 3 boxes wend way down
I haven't a clue what you mean by this, unless you mean you sold them to fund the other three boxes? At 6+ each on ebay you're laughing, but being a BA player I NEEDED UPON PAIN OF DEATH to keep mine.

I sold them as I did not like some of the poses or to hard to tell the facing of the model so I ended up paying for 1/2 a box of Terminators :D

How about a Sargent with a Power sword and a Storm shield.....
+1 to a d6, parry, block. sorta like the Emperor's champion from the box set command squad

AndrewGPaul
15-10-2009, 23:24
Between 2 sets of Space Hulk, Assault On Black Reach and 5 copies of White Dwarf 345, I've got plenty of Terminators. 3 of the second batch of Space Hulk Terminators went to give me an additional fmaler marine, bolter marine and Sergeant with bolter and sword, to allow me to play old 1st and 2nd edition missions using 2 squads. I converted Sergeant Gideon to be using a storm bolter and power sword, and tweaked some of the details on the other two.

4 more Marines were converted using Deathwing parts and Chaos Marauder heads into the marines needed for the Cloud Runner's Last Stand solo campaign from Deathwing. The spare Calistarius became a Deathwing librarian, and I chopped the force axe down from a double to a single blade and shortened the haft. I also removed all the Blood Angels iconography from the models.

Leftovers went to provide a further Blood Angels terminator squad - Sergeant with storm bolter and power fist, marine with assault cannon and power fist and 3 marines with storm bolter and power fist - based on one of the pieces of flavour text from the Terminator article in WD 112.

wilsongrahams
16-10-2009, 20:29
Any pics anywhere for these even if not painted? It's good to see how the pose is altered completely just with different arms.

AndrewGPaul
16-10-2009, 22:50
I'll try and get some over the next couple of days. My desk is a bit cluttered at the moment.

AndrewGPaul
17-10-2009, 12:36
First up, the Deathwing squad from Cloud Runner's Last Stand:

(L-R Two Heads Talking, Cloud Runner, Weasel Fierce, Lame Bear, Bloody Moon, Wisdom Keeper).
Two Heads Talking has had the force staff cut down, and an axehead from Calistarius added to make it a force axe. Cloud Runner has had Sgt Lorenzo's cloack mostly hacked away, and had the weapons replaced with those from the Dark Angels accessory sprue. Lame Bear has the Dark Angels assault cannon and Bloody Moon has a standard heavy flamer. Wisdom Keeper has had the icon removed from the top of the armour and the force axe cut down. Cloud Runner, Weasel Fierce and Bloody Moon have heads taken from the Chaos Marauder Horsemen box, and all the Blood Angels iconography cut away.

Here's Captain "Cloud Runner" Ezekiel himself:

Weasel Fierce:

Lame Bear:

Bloody Moon:

Wisdom Keeper, the Librarian:

AndrewGPaul
17-10-2009, 12:41
Now, the odds and ends:

A replacement sergeant for Gideon, so I can have 2 standard squads:

The additional heavy flamer/power fist and storm bolter/power fist marines are just minor conversions - I sliced off some of the fiddly bits, not worthy of a photo.

Sergeant Kinner, as featured in the Terminator Squads article in White Dwarf 112, with storm bolter and power fist. This is based off the lightning claw marine, with a power fist from the WD345 freebie terminator and a storm bolter from the chainfist guy from Space Hulk:

And, to use up those now-spare lightning claws:

wilsongrahams
17-10-2009, 17:51
Wow they're great, I especially love Weasel Fierce. Cloud Runner's conversion of Lorenzo looks flawless too. I have a Lorenzo and haven't yet settle on a way to remove the cloak without loads of putty, but you seem to have managed. Excellent job!

Where is the sword from that you have used on the Gideon model for your second sergeant? It doesn't look like the normal Terminator or Deathwing ones.

Photographer
18-10-2009, 10:05
Great stuff!

AndrewGPaul
18-10-2009, 11:17
wilsongrahams, I think it's the Deathwing sword, with the flared tip shaved down and the feathers removed from the hilt.

Cloud Runner's cloak doesn't look quite as good from the back. I'd have preferred to use Gideon as a base, but I needed the second Gideon for my other sergeant.

wilsongrahams
18-10-2009, 18:20
I don't suppose it would be too hard to cut away and resculpt the rear of a terminator if you felt you needed to. I've spent many long moments looking at the Lorenzo model trying to work up towards starting cutting into it. Maybe soon, having seen your work.

Now you mention it, I can see where the sword has been reshaped.

I'm working on some High Elves at the moment for an upcoming game but will return to Space Hulk within a week or so.