PDA

View Full Version : Which Space Marine Chapter would you choose

electricwolf
15-10-2009, 12:49
If you had the ability to pick the Space Marine Chapter that you could belong to which one would it be and why?

For me it would be the Dark Angels. They are the first Marine chapter after all and the whole unforgiven thing is interesting to me.

Petay1985
15-10-2009, 12:53
Probably Space Wolves, always had a fascination with Vikings, Norse Mythology and everyone loves Feasting & Drinking! Plus i hate the heat and strangely feel at home in the snow!! :)

I very much see my Space Wolves personallities like the vikings from 13th Warrior, good times!! :)

wilsongrahams
15-10-2009, 12:54
Blood Angels.

Following the example of Sanguinius, I would lay down my life to protect mankind, but woe betide my enemies for they shall know no mercy...

Hypaspist
15-10-2009, 13:08
Dark Angels.
hands down they are the most interesting chapter (to me) and the ones with the richest background (in terms of interesting to me)

You can keep your poster boy Ultramarines, its Robes, incense, and a Dark secret for me!

Souleater
15-10-2009, 13:08
Grey Knights.

This may sound odd but I really dislike horror movies. Young women* running around screaming, being messily slaughtered by strange supernatural beasts or serial killers.

Grey Knights would be shaman, wizards, priests, etc in a less technologically advanced culture - just the kind of guys to take on such things and protect their villagers.

I love the idea of Grey Knights taking these things on, turning up in the midst of the whole mess with a corny line like 'This looks like a job for the Ordo Malleus'

Also, I really like the models.

* From what I'm told young men are also being messily slaughtered in the name of entertainment, which is very progressive IMHO.

Vaktathi
15-10-2009, 13:18
Space Wolves seemed cool when I first started 40k, but looking at them they kinda lost their appeal. They try to be Viking good guys, and the whole "we are actually pretty ok guys" doesn't mesh well with "viking berzerkers" and "genetically engineered brainwashed super soldier" that defines the Space Marines. They end up looking like bad caricatures, and the new book only takes this to new heights unfortunately.

I used to really like Salamanders too, but after seeing them turn into the default choice SM army spamming dozens of BS4 twin linked meltaguns everywhere, they got old and fast.

I still really like the color scheme and background of the Raptors however, a very cool chapter indeed.

Grey Knights are also a chapter I totally dig. They have awesome fluff that doesn't go too overboard usually, and their models are awesome. Plus I love Halberds :D

KingNova3000
15-10-2009, 13:24
Ion Hands: Who wouldn't want to be cyber-enhanced!

x-esiv-4c
15-10-2009, 13:29
Clearly Ultra Marines. All other chapters aspire to be them but they will never reach that pinnacle of superness.

Ravensgard
15-10-2009, 13:34
Space wolves blood claws were my first models i bought when i was 16 almost 10 years ago, so they will always be special, and I really like their old and their new fluff. I love it when they stand up for the "man in the street" and hold on to their beliefs no matter what.

Another chapter i really like are the Grey Knights, the uber heroes. Almost in full contrast with the space wolves. And the best thing is, they respect each other. It's a great thing to see a space wolf with tattoos and totems standing shoulder to shoulder with a polished, shiny grey knight.

For the more codex marines, i like the Imperial Fists.

The SkaerKrow
15-10-2009, 13:41
The Red Corsairs.

m00ndust
15-10-2009, 13:53
Let's run down the list and see what's what...

Ultramarines: While they are extremely efficient, I think the Codex Astartes is too strict and doesn't give space to "tactical creativity".

Salamanders: I wouldn't mind being a salamander, I like creating stuff (they do build their own bolters/wargear themselves) but I prefer the purity of swift melee combat.

Raven Guard: That would be nice but only if i'm in Captain Shrike's company, which wouldn't be possible for a few hundred years... pass.

Crimson Fists: A little too shooty for my tastes...

Imperial Fists: Another great chapter... not offensive enough tho.

Space Wolves: While the wild and canine aspects of that chapter are appealing, drunken warriors lack a certain sense of discipline...

Black Templars: Almost perfect, up your face combat, zealous dedication and hardcore recruit training ! But no breaks ! I'd be willing to serve the God-Emperor but can I have a minute or 2 for myself ??

White Scars: It's like a bike riding space wolf without the booze... but I'm not that much of a bike rider...

Dark Angels: Too much time before you get to join either the Deathwing or Ravenwing... otherwise it's "being a green ultramarine"... Also, having to chase "chapter traitors" all around the universe without knowing the whole story and being on your guard everytime an Inquisitor is around... not that interesting.

Iron Hands: I'm kind of a Tech guy (being an IT IRL) but replacing body parts with cybernetics ??? no thanks...

Blood Angels: they prefer the fast "in your face" approach... they dedicate a cult to one of the most loyal and selfless being ever, following his example in everything they do... They are would-be-bloodthirsty-berserker who constantly stay in control... that's the essence of a true warrior. Those who give in to their most primal instinct (tearing the enemy apart with their bare hands) are put to use in the most honorable way... You fail to control yourself, you better die honorably than being put down like a rabid dog.

I'd say Blood Angels get my pick... Plus, it's frequent to see 600+ years old marines in this chapter so you have plenty of time to hone your skills... I'd say the "average" Blood Angel is a far more dangerous marine than any other chapter for the simple fact that they mostly have twice the combat experience due to their long lives.

NightrawenII
15-10-2009, 14:31
As someone post in other thread:
My own.

Giganthrax
15-10-2009, 15:11
Iron Hands

Because they're just so damn cool + you get to be a cyborg!

Sildani
15-10-2009, 16:12
If I HAD to be a Space Marine... probably a Silver Skull. They fight only when they must, and they believe the Emperor tells them when to do so. Plus, I like the color scheme.

The Ultramarines appeal as well, because all their organs work perfectly, and so does all their wargear. In real life, I like my stuff to work every time as well. And I like blue.

Johnnyfrej
15-10-2009, 16:16
I don't think you could pick which chapter you belong to. First you have to be born on a planet that a chapter recruits from. Then, being born on said planet, Omnissiah help you if you are born on Necromunda or Fenris as you probably won't reach 10. Then you have to be either extremely tough or ruthless enough to be picked for Astartes iniatiation. That brings your likelyhood of death or failure (serviter) even higher.

Yautja
15-10-2009, 16:26
Black Dragons. Part Space Marine, part Wolverine.

The SkaerKrow
15-10-2009, 16:32
I don't think you could pick which chapter you belong to.You can if you're a Red Corsair :chrome:.

Absolutionis
15-10-2009, 16:43
I wouldn't like to be a Space Marine, because I would lose my sense of identity and I would become nothing more than a living weapon.

Regardless, if I'm going to do that, I may as well go all the way.
Iron Hands

I'm actually surprised about the number of Iron Hands fans here. I thought they were mostly forgotten or at least unpopular considering GW's lack of support aside from a single direct-order box.

As an aside, being a Salamander wouldn't be too bad either. They're similar enough in tht they have tinkering prowess.

Fobster
15-10-2009, 16:57
Blood angel. I might find out what its like to be good looking. Plus id get to out live you all.

wilsongrahams
15-10-2009, 17:01
Blood angel. I might find out what its like to be good looking. Plus id get to out live you all.

Lol, I like your thinking but it's flawed - once you're a marine, you're just as handsome as the other 999 and you're going to be in a ship or fortress with other men so can't make good use of it.

The Red Pilgrim
15-10-2009, 17:47
Loyalist? Dark Angels probably, one of the few chapters that has any depth amongst the "Good Guys".

Traitor? Night Lords, absolutely. It just sounds fun to boost around a hive city on wings of flame striking fear into the hearts of everyone.

Fobster
15-10-2009, 18:10
Lol, I like your thinking but it's flawed - once you're a marine, you're just as handsome as the other 999 and you're going to be in a ship or fortress with other men so can't make good use of it.

Dammnit. And we all know there are no hot mutie ladies on baal, unless that chick from total recal is down there.

Marrak
15-10-2009, 18:16
I've got 3 favorites. :)

The Salamanders simply due to their reliability and the whole forging/crafting background.

The Imperial Fists... these guys just scream awesome to me. :) Also the chapter I'll be making my codex marines into when I start em.

Grey Knights. I like paladins and ancient knights, as well as psychic powers. If these guys had their own codex (oh if there is a loving God please let it happen) I might actually pull away from my nids for a brief time. :) Everything from their background to their models just looks really cool to me.

The Anarchist
15-10-2009, 18:26
I personaly love the greco-roman feel to the ultramarines, however don't like there uber fluff b@ll@cks that is now being spammed into them by GW as the poster boys.

so i would have to say the Raven Gaurd, love the whole strike from the shadows thing, and being a chapter that enver feels the need to over kill but that prefers to send jsut the right amount of men for any given job.

Y'he Sha'is
15-10-2009, 20:28
I would definately have to be part of the Raven Guard.

There's nothing quite like causing fear in the enemy ranks when they just think of you. The scared, desperate looks of the enemy into the shadows (or the sky) is what they are all about in my mind.

Half of the fun of being a 7-foot tall killing machine would be working up the expectation of battle in the minds of the enemy, the other half being the careful design of surgical strikes.

Plus, I look really really good in black. :)

jams86
15-10-2009, 20:41
i'm all for the 18th legion. unto the anvil of war brothers!

CommissarGuard
15-10-2009, 21:20
I whould say Raven guard i like the attack from the shadows sort of thing

Mozzamanx
15-10-2009, 21:25
Grey Knights. I like paladins and ancient knights, as well as psychic powers. If these guys had their own codex (oh if there is a loving God please let it happen) I might actually pull away from my nids for a brief time. :) Everything from their background to their models just looks really cool to me.

Of course, you have heard about Codex: Daemonhunters? The one that's been out for about 6 years? ;)

weissengel86
15-10-2009, 21:40
I would also be a Grey Knight myself. How can you resist being both better trained and a psyker as compared to other marines? Plus fighting daemons would be awesome, until you die that is :p

redbaron998
15-10-2009, 21:41
Space wolves, if you gonna be fighting for eternity you may as well have fun.

Beyond that....hmmm maybe Iron Snakes or Raven Guard.

Cognitave
15-10-2009, 21:49
Space Wolves or Imperial Fists.

Vipus
15-10-2009, 21:59
Definately Imperial Fists, I love their methodical and precise way about war, and masters of defence!

hawo0313
15-10-2009, 22:03
Grey knights because thier all psykers, they have helberds, storm bolters (and weapon skill 5) and are supplied with the best equipment man can offer.

But the chapter I play is Blood angels I love the way they try to aspire to thier great primarch living thier (very long) lives the way that he would want them too. I just think that the blood angels have a noble aspect to them while being flawed.

LonelyPath
15-10-2009, 22:56
It's a tough choice for me. I'd either be a Dark Angel for their dark secrets and ongoing mission to retain their former glory, even though that mission is only truly known to a scant few among the Unforgiven. On the other Hand the Grey Knights are truly the elite among the elite, being the greatest warriors the Imperium has to offer (plus the cool armour and being a psyker are pluses worth metioning).

Panzer MkIV
16-10-2009, 00:08
Salamanders for me because they are THE chapter that actively show sympathy and support to the common Imperial citizen. They fight to protect the population first and foremost and still understand what it means to be human unlike some other chapters who shall not be named "coughdarkangelscough"

Pooky
16-10-2009, 00:43
I would say either the Grey Knights or the Black Templars. I really love the whole 'knight' theme to a Space Marine and it doens't get much more knight-ly than those two chapters of Space Marines.

Drgn
16-10-2009, 00:54
I would say a Flame Falcon. I would love to burst into flames and be unharmed and continue fighting.

w3rm
16-10-2009, 00:55
The Purple Fists. They're my chapter. They rule. They all live 1000+1 years are Psykers and have WS 6. And stormbolters. I love stormbolters.

Vesica
16-10-2009, 01:40
Blood Angels.

Always been on of my Favourites :D

Deadmanwade
16-10-2009, 05:22
I'd choose the Alpha Legion....or would I?

Hicks
16-10-2009, 05:30
My own the Grudge Bearers as they represent everything I could hope for in a SM chapter. Of the existing GW ones though it would have to be the Blood Angels.

librisrouge
16-10-2009, 05:36
I always loved the Blood Angels for a number of reasons:

Effective use of close combat
Speed tactics
Increase of handsomeness
Increase of Chainswordness
Effective utilization of selfless sacrifice clique
Their Primarch was an Angel...nuff said...

I can only hope that I would have the strength of character to honor noble Sanguinus' name without falling to the Black Rage. Deus Imperator, Adorare Sanguinus!

16-10-2009, 05:45
white scars VROOM VROOM :D

and night lords would be cool if I felt evil

Johnnyfrej
16-10-2009, 05:48
and night lords would be cool if I felt evil
What's cooler than an army of The Batman.

I suppose if I was given some Chaotic pre-screening of my life and the True Gods gave me a choice on which world I would be born, it would be Cthonia.

silashand
16-10-2009, 06:04
Probably Ultramarines simply because they have no obvious defects, are loyal, obedient and organized.

MortalTurky
16-10-2009, 07:53
Death Guard.....
Who wouldnīt want to be a rotting carcass? Full with worms?:skull:

Or maybe Salamanders....
Since they are the only ones that helped civs during the Armegeddon War.
And executed a guard officer who didnīt....:skull:

/MortalTurky

slingersam
16-10-2009, 09:11
Blood Angels.

Following the example of Sanguinius, I would lay down my life to protect mankind, but woe betide my enemies for they shall know no mercy...

Same here... except for all of the woe betide, and no mercy thing.

Just Blood Angels

RoguePariah
16-10-2009, 10:43
If I had to be chosen by a SM chapter, I would hope to be picked up by the Grey Knights.
I mean, seriously, who doesn't want to be the best of the best, face down gibbering hordes of daemons, constantly be on guard to protect your own soul from the perils of the warp, and never get one Iota of thanks aside from the knowledge that the emperor watches over you, since he is "basically" your Primarch.

and Nemesis Force Weapons? I'd be swinging that thing around like a kid with a lightsaber.:D

Church^
16-10-2009, 10:45
Blood Ravens, as I believe knowledge is indeed power.

DivineVisitor
16-10-2009, 12:14
I'd choose the Alpha Legion....or would I?

I lol'd :D

Space Wolves would be my first choice, my first army and i always feel closest to them at heart.
Imperial Fists would be my next preference because i love the colour Yellow :)
Then Grey Knights as they ooze awesome.

Morlu
16-10-2009, 13:49
Mine would deffinately be Salamanders, but I wouldnt want to be just any salamander OH NO! I would have to be a salamanders tech marine, Im an engineer so you can see where im coming from. all the techiness of them coupled with some of the teachings of the promethian cult, tenacity, helping others, the ends justify the means, ritualistic scarification (erm, maybe not that one!). I just them it all.

Oldguny
17-10-2009, 03:01
Imperial Fists or Templars both are just bad asses. And for the Black Templars getting visions of the Emporer and becomeing his Champion, thats whats up!

Y'inglye
17-10-2009, 03:18
Who else is sick and tired of seeing polls about polls?

Prospero
17-10-2009, 06:56
WHY SPACE WOLVES, OF COURSE!

Hahahaha.. no, not really.

I'd want to be a Thousand Sons Librarian / Sorcerer. :D

Corbulo
17-10-2009, 07:23
Blood angels i have aways liked them the best for the same reasons that ppl have already posted about them.....
and red is awesome