PDA

View Full Version : paint chips on Marines

electricwolf
15-10-2009, 16:45
One thing I'be been wondering for awhile is about Space Marine armour and vehicles.

When the paint on a vehicle chips or fades wouldn't be fix repaired right away for fear of upsetting the machine spirit inside the armour or vehicle?

I would think that the Marines would want to keep their armour in immaculate condition so that it looks brand new after a battle.

trigger
15-10-2009, 16:49
It all depends how long they are on the planets serface for.

I can imagen on armagedon for example , marines would have been in the front lines for many months at a time ... breaking out the dry brush and air gun .. would be the last thing on there mind.

But once there back on there ships ... def clean your weapons and kit then your self :D

Lunar
15-10-2009, 16:55
I've also thought this, perhaps they paint the chips to show the Marines are in the midst of battle? If not that, it doesn't make sense other than to show off their painting skills.

wilsongrahams
15-10-2009, 16:57
Yep, same in the British Army.

On deployment you do not iron your clothes or polish your boots - straight lines and shiny things attract attention when you're trying to hide. Plus you spend most of your time laying in the only wet puddle in sight.

Once back you have to be in parade condition asap.

Just think of those WW1 pics where the soldiers are covered in mud.

The only thing that would always be clean is the inside workings of the boltguns - cleaned daily to ensure they never fail when you need it.

I also imagine they polish out scratches in the eye pieces when needed too.

What I've often wondered is why paint chips are metal coloured on marines and tanks that are supposed to be made out of ceramite? If Death Guard wore unpainted armour and were white, surely the chips would be white too?

Leftenant Gashrog
15-10-2009, 16:58
When the paint on a vehicle chips or fades wouldn't be fix repaired right away for fear of upsetting the machine spirit inside the armour or vehicle?

It is the duty of all machines of war to fight in the Emperors name, any item of equipment whose machine spirit is unable to endure such minor and constant side-effects of war would quickly be identified and melted down for treason.

The Clairvoyant
15-10-2009, 21:49
What I've often wondered is why paint chips are metal coloured on marines and tanks that are supposed to be made out of ceramite? If Death Guard wore unpainted armour and were white, surely the chips would be white too?

Whilst you're right, a chipped paintwork showing white would probably just look like a badly painted model with undercoat showing.

Or maybe ceramite is actually metallic coloured?

primarch16
16-10-2009, 00:37
I paint my tanks with chips and scratches, mainly because black looks rather boring on tanks and helps to break it up a little. Also not a big fan of perfect clean models, it's war after all.

eltanko
16-10-2009, 08:17
I was under the impression that the models are supposed to be in the midst of battle, so yeah they would have damage etc, but as mentioned, as soon as they are back to base im sure they slave away at making their armour nice and shiny new :)

ElTanko

Petay1985
16-10-2009, 16:33
I was under the impression that the models are supposed to be in the midst of battle, so yeah they would have damage etc, but as mentioned, as soon as they are back to base im sure they slave away at making their armour nice and shiny new :)

ElTanko

I agree whole heartedly with this!! IT IS WAR!!!!