PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else pretend the Master Chief was a Space Marine and the covenant was Tau?

mattieice
16-10-2009, 01:39
I just beat Halo 3 and found a lot of parallels with the 40k universe. I don't really like the storyline of the Halo series so much, so I basically pretended it was 40k. Did anyone else do this?

Sinister Brain
16-10-2009, 01:51
Yep, the entire Budgie development team. :p

cyenwulf
16-10-2009, 02:05
And I'm sure Games Workshop were the first company to use a humans vs aliens setting for their product.

/sarcasm off

HsojVvad
16-10-2009, 02:30
So was the Master Chief a DA then?

Gensuke626
16-10-2009, 02:32
MC, a DA? Nar...He can walk and fire a Laser Cannon, or an Assault Cannon while wearing Powered Armor. Obviously he's Legion of the Damned...painted Green...

mattieice
16-10-2009, 02:34
He's probably Pre-Heresy cuz he's wearing an older mark armor... I dunno I guess he could be from one of the 2 mystery chapters.

ehlijen
16-10-2009, 02:35
If you don't like what halo offers, why not play a different game that you do like?

Reaper of Solus
16-10-2009, 02:47
From the Halo Background, the parallels are extremely similar to 40K, but you must realise that the period of time is still in the 2000s millenia. In otherwords:
Slipspace=Warp(Relatively calm but tricky to manipulate at the time)
MC=Early genetic modification, not a Space Marine, but close
Cov VS Humanity=Distrust in aliens

I noticed this some time ago, and man is it driving me insane.

mattieice
16-10-2009, 02:50
If you don't like what halo offers, why not play a different game that you do like?

I liked the gameplay, just not the story. The gameplay is phenomenal.

The Laughing God
16-10-2009, 03:00
Not to mention this guy http://www.robotoys.com/HaloProphet.gif

looks exactly like the tau character.

http://www.fantasyshop.gr/gallery/40k_tau_aunva.jpg

Creeping Dementia
16-10-2009, 03:12
No, I never really thought about it, Master Chief doesn't seem like a SM to me, he's actually likeable :angel:

Mannimarco
16-10-2009, 03:39
master chief is declared traitor, look at him running around throwing away his good pure human weapons and using the forbidden xenos tech, look at the way he goes all "blood for the blood god" on a poor defencless group of those little gremlin aliens with the pyramids on their back

face it, stick some spikes on him and he's good to go

Durath
16-10-2009, 03:41
I played 25 minutes of Halo 1, and realized that Microsoft was cleverly trying their hand at spinning the 40K mythos.

I've refused to play it or any of the sequels since.

player21
16-10-2009, 03:53
Halo is no golden eye.

Loki73
16-10-2009, 03:59
Golden eye was great!

I did see similarities. But your title made me giggle!

The Orange
16-10-2009, 04:39
Nope, can't say that I have. Theirs some superficial similarities to 40k but that's about it.

HsojVvad
16-10-2009, 04:54
From the Halo Background, the parallels are extremely similar to 40K, but you must realise that the period of time is still in the 2000s millenia. In otherwords:

Hhhhmmmm...... sounds more like Star Wars too me. Slipspace=Warp = Lightspeed

MC=Early genetic modifcation, = Stormtrooper

Cov VS Humanity=Distrust in aliens = Emperor Palpitine having distrust in Aliens and being exnophobic as well.

So I guess 40K is a rip off Star Wars then. :D

Look no one is original anymore. Everything is a ripoff everything now. M$ didn't copy anyone. If they did, then you wouldn't just be a Master Chief in single action, you would have been with at least a plattoon or Combat Squad as you 40ker's like to say.

Absolutionis
16-10-2009, 04:56
Halo was the Goldeneye of its time; horrible controls but that's expected because its on a console. I played 1 and 2 and never drew a 40k parallel. The story was really uninspiring and cliche.
At least 40k accepts that it isn't the most unique universe and simply follows the rule of cool all the way through. At least 40k acknowledges that armies are useful and superheroes are nothing without their legion by their side.

Johnnyfrej
16-10-2009, 04:59
The Tau? Hell, the Covenant gives even the Imperium a run for it's money with its xenophobic genecidal tendancies and religious dogma.

ehlijen
16-10-2009, 05:13
Halo was the Goldeneye of its time; horrible controls but that's expected because its on a console. I played 1 and 2 and never drew a 40k parallel. The story was really uninspiring and cliche.
At least 40k accepts that it isn't the most unique universe and simply follows the rule of cool all the way through. At least 40k acknowledges that armies are useful and superheroes are nothing without their legion by their side.

Except there was no need for there to be horrible controls at all if microsoft hadn't bought the company at the last minute and told them to ditch the platform they'd been making it for in favour of making an xbox exclusive.

OT, advanced aliens and super soldiers are a staple of most scifi universes, just like dwarves and elves are found in most fantasy works, there is no need to read more into that than there is.

Inquisitor Engel
16-10-2009, 05:16
I have the ability to separate my Sci-Fi, so no, I did not. There are influences all over the place, but all Sci-Fi borrows from other Sci-Fi, with rare exceptions.

And the Prophets were designed (and seen, in-game!) before Aun'Va's artwork was done and the modelwas designed (although not before his background was written I might add).

muahaha!!!
16-10-2009, 06:34
I don't draw simularities, but if I was I would say I like Halo story more than 40k. Noone in 40k is likeable, but the characters in halo are more three dimensional.

twistinthunder
16-10-2009, 06:42
I just beat Halo 3 and found a lot of parallels with the 40k universe. I don't really like the storyline of the Halo series so much, so I basically pretended it was 40k. Did anyone else do this?

no the 40k universe would crush the master chief like a fly.

noobzilla
16-10-2009, 06:46

No, no, and no.

Slipspace is not warp travel because at it's explained in the Halo novels and other fiction (canon) Slipspace is a parallel dimension that is "cut into" and which does not abide by our laws of physics (even quantam) and ships do not need navigators or shields to ward off evil things in Slipspace. Slipspace is "neutral" per se, and the only things that float in it are misplaced comets and asteroids.

The masterchief is not nearly close enough to a Space Marine, he shares the modification part, but he is not infused with his armor, and in the novels, he even takes it completely off.

Covenant vs Humanity: Not even close... the Covenant prophets discovered that Humans were the literal "sons" of their gods, the "Forerunners." Knowing this would completely destroy their religion which worshipped the Forerunners and claimed that they were the rightful descendants of the forerunners. So instead of accept the truth, they began to systematically slaughter the humans. Most of the time, new races were actually embraced into the Covenant, but since the humans would destroy their religion, the prophets decided a genocide was much more appropriate. Humanity fights to survive a genocide, not because "they dont like the covenant."

MajorWesJanson
16-10-2009, 08:53
I have my Tau painted up in Covenant colors. Especially the tanks.

Mojaco
16-10-2009, 09:56
No, no, and no.

Slipspace is not warp travel because at it's explained in the Halo novels and other fiction (canon) Slipspace is a parallel dimension that is "cut into" and which does not abide by our laws of physics (even quantam) and ships do not need navigators or shields to ward off evil things in Slipspace. Slipspace is "neutral" per se, and the only things that float in it are misplaced comets and asteroids.

the Warp is also a parallel dimension that does not abide by our laws of physics.

The masterchief is not nearly close enough to a Space Marine, he shares the modification part, but he is not infused with his armor, and in the novels, he even takes it completely off.
Marines can take their armour off too. They do it quite often in Horus Heresy.

Covenant vs Humanity: Not even close... the Covenant prophets discovered that Humans were the literal "sons" of their gods, the "Forerunners." Knowing this would completely destroy their religion which worshipped the Forerunners and claimed that they were the rightful descendants of the forerunners. So instead of accept the truth, they began to systematically slaughter the humans. Most of the time, new races were actually embraced into the Covenant, but since the humans would destroy their religion, the prophets decided a genocide was much more appropriate. Humanity fights to survive a genocide, not because "they dont like the covenant."
Yep, that's big difference. Humans in Halo aren't alien-haters, it's the other way around this time around.

Halo has very little to do with 40k.

jams86
16-10-2009, 11:17
ODST is guard in drop pods

Mojaco
16-10-2009, 12:13
I did pretend Gears of War to be about Space Marines. If only the character models could be replaced, you'd have an awesome game about marines killing an underground chaos cult.

mattieice
16-10-2009, 16:15
I did pretend Gears of War to be about Space Marines. If only the character models could be replaced, you'd have an awesome game about marines killing an underground chaos cult.

Gears makes for a great space marine setting too, which is why I think the Space Marine game by Relic is taking a page from their book. To me, Gears is better than Halo in every way, gameplay, story, sound, graphics, voice acting, you name it. I really really hope Space Marine is going to be goode, because the premise is what I've been wanting for many years.

druchii
16-10-2009, 20:34
Not to mention this guy http://www.robotoys.com/HaloProphet.gif

looks exactly like the tau character.

http://www.fantasyshop.gr/gallery/40k_tau_aunva.jpg

It's actually the other way around.

Oracles, in that iteration, were in development long before aunva got his floating toilet.

d

ps. I actually pretend the covenant are more like eldar...since they've got dedicated units that function at stereotypical sorts of battlefield roles.

Johnnyfrej
16-10-2009, 22:10
Gears makes for a great space marine setting too, which is why I think the Space Marine game by Relic is taking a page from their book. To me, Gears is better than Halo in every way, gameplay, story, sound, graphics, voice acting, you name it. I really really hope Space Marine is going to be goode, because the premise is what I've been wanting for many years.
We, sir, have much in common.

Brady
17-10-2009, 20:41
I didnt at first but now i can see similarities

Urath
17-10-2009, 23:52

I too love Gears of War. Both games, the setting, the novels, background, mythos, characters, voice acting; the lot, as you do. Tbh, if you took out the Locust, replaced it with a random enemy, took out the COG and Gears, put in Guard and Space Marines; but kept the art direction, extenuate it so that it becomes more gothic, keep the gameplay and add in a suitably 40K story; alakazam! You'd have the perfect 40K game.

Ronin_eX
18-10-2009, 00:13
Huh, and here I thought Bungie was drawing more inspiration from their previous Marathon trilogy than from 40k. I really do find it funny that people are so quick to point at "Spess Mahrines and Xenos! Clone, clone clone!" without really looking at the greater picture.

Halo is fairly standard military sci-fi. The Spartan program looks a lot more like a mixture between the selection program found in Forever War mixed with the gene-gineering of Old Man's War than it does like the techno-fantasy 40k version. Spartans don't worship anything, their is no pseudo-religious monastic overtones. Hell you may as well say Ender's Game rips off 40k because "OMG child warriors".

Power armour? Heinlein is usually the attributed source for that, not GW. Halo also has power armour that is quite different than 40k's. It has much more in common with the suits in Forever War than anything.

And the Covenant? You'd think 40k was the first setting that a cosmopolitan alien empire showed up in. But then you probably never read Star Guard, the Culture novels or anything involving alliances of aliens. And the religious fanatic alien thing isn't all that much like what the Tau are. The Tau aren't exactly perpetrating a holy war on humanity in order to cover up that they aren't the real inheritors of a galaxy spanning super-empire.

You want to know where Space Marines came from? They are Dune's Sardaukar with the serial numbers filed off, they were put in the PA from John Steakley's Armor and they are given a heavy sprinkling of Paradise Lost by Milton. They have a lot more ties to techno-fantasy and space opera than they do to mil sci-fi at this point.

Comparing Halo to 40k is really comparing apples to oranges in terms of sci-fi sub-genres. One is grounded heavily in military sci-fi and 50's era old school sci-fi while 40k is all about planetary romance, space opera and techno-fantasy. It truly buggers the imagination that people think 40k is original enough to actually be copied. Next thing you know people will be complaining that Tora! Tora! Tora! totally ripped off the dog fights from Star Wars. ;)

Halo has vanishingly little in common with 40k just as 40k has vanishingly little in common with transhuman sci-fi like Altered Carbon. Comparing them because they have space marines and aliens is about as far as it gets. Hell Halo isn't even GRIMDARK. :p

twistinthunder
18-10-2009, 08:32
No, no, and no.

where the hell did you read that space marines are INFUSED in their armour everything ive read has them being able to/already having taken it off.

Forgotmytea
18-10-2009, 12:44
Hhhhmmmm...... sounds more like Star Wars too me. Slipspace=Warp = Lightspeed

MC=Early genetic modifcation, = Stormtrooper

Cov VS Humanity=Distrust in aliens = Emperor Palpitine having distrust in Aliens and being exnophobic as well.

So I guess 40K is a rip off Star Wars then. :D

Look no one is original anymore. Everything is a ripoff everything now. M$ didn't copy anyone. If they did, then you wouldn't just be a Master Chief in single action, you would have been with at least a plattoon or Combat Squad as you 40ker's like to say.
Absolutely. All the parallels so far have been rather generic, and as HsojVvad pointed out, could be seen in pretty much any sci-fi universe, book or game. Everything's similar in some aspect nowadays :p

mattieice
19-10-2009, 22:37
I don't know if you guys were responding to my original post or not but I wasn't saying that anyone was ripping off anything. I was merely stating that I wished that Halo was 40k since 40k is lacking in the first person badass video game department.

guillimansknight
19-10-2009, 23:11
No anyone who thinks so needs a shrink and an intervention for wargamming.

sigur
20-10-2009, 00:18
I have the ability to separate my Sci-Fi, so no, I did not.

Well put and exactly my views.