PDA

View Full Version : GW Mail Order - Free Next Day Courier delivery

Binky
16-10-2009, 15:10
Just received an e-mail from GW, stating that from today, until further notice, all orders will be shipped with free next day courier delivery! Apparently to avoid problems caused by the postal strikes.

Sounds like a good deal, though I'm amazed that there's no minimum order size, even if it was just 10 or something, as I'm sure there will be people ordering single paintbrushes etc.

Good news though, as I was worried that my Skaven Pre-Orders could takes ages to turn up.

Kulgur
16-10-2009, 15:15
hah ninja'd, was just about to post this myself :) It's fantastic news as far as I'm concerned, whole bunch of direct order only stuff I've been wanting to get

grissom2006
16-10-2009, 15:36
Well all things considered hardly a supprise from them with all the free shipping promo's for orders over 10 in recent months. If your Advanced Ordering stuff though i'd say your better off paying for the Express on the order anyways as UPS is more likely to get the order then than Royal Mail.

Wolfshadow
16-10-2009, 16:10
I see this as a method for controlling advanced orders TBH. With a courier service it is much more likely that the customer will recieve the item when you want them too rather than the Royal Mails anytime delivery methods...

Cherrystone
16-10-2009, 16:29
Noy good for the royal mail though and its 10000's of employee's and communities that rely on a local post office

Corrode
16-10-2009, 16:44
**** the Royal Mail to be honest - their parcel delivery service is hit and miss, mostly miss.

This might actually make ordering from GW direct worth it, though the price point will still be an issue.

Inquisitor Gideon
16-10-2009, 18:27
It did actually say a minimum of 10. But that's hardly anything to worry about.

OrlyggJafnakol
17-10-2009, 08:33
Good old GW. I was worried about recieving any Christmas orders on time. I wonder how these strikes will affect the delivery of White Dwarf?

Harry
17-10-2009, 08:48
I think that is very cool of GW actually.
(Although I have always found the customer service to be second to none so I should not be suprised).

yabbadabba
17-10-2009, 09:29
I see this as a method for controlling advanced orders TBH. With a courier service it is much more likely that the customer will recieve the item when you want them too rather than the Royal Mails anytime delivery methods... a touch cynical?

Noy good for the royal mail though and its 10000's of employee's and communities that rely on a local post office Thats the Royal Mail's issue not GW's.

I think that is very cool of GW actually.
(Although I have always found the customer service to be second to none so I should not be suprised). QFT.

scarletsquig
17-10-2009, 09:45
Good move. If they made this standard for their online store they might even have a chance at competing with the discount webstores while maintaining their RRP's... any incentive they can give would be a good idea, they make a lot more profit on direct sales than sales through stores. Bringing back skullz in a digital form would also help!

I'm happier getting packages delivered by courier.. I've had a couple of incidents where, with packages the postman just put a "you weren't in" note through my door instead of knocking and waiting because he doesn't get given enough time to wait and knock.

The royal mail staff are striking for the right reasons, the company made an profit of 321m last year, they've got no excuses. It's a pain in the short term, but in the long term it should improve the quality of service. Either that or the company will collapse and need a bailout, but another couple of billion is nothing on top of the hundreds of billions we've already borrowed from the future.

grissom2006
17-10-2009, 09:47
Hell i've been in and royal mails never even bothered to knock and stuck that slip of paper through my door before now.

Harry
17-10-2009, 09:58
I'm happier getting packages delivered by courier.. I've had a couple of incidents where, with packages the postman just put a "you weren't in" note through my door instead of knocking and waiting because he doesn't get given enough time to wait and knock.
Hang on. Surely it is quicker to knock and wait than write the card?

scarletsquig
17-10-2009, 10:12
Hang on. Surely it is quicker to knock and wait than write the card?
Apparently not! I don't get it either, but that's the reason I got from the postman... he now has to cover about 50% more streets in the same time compared to 2 years ago, has got to the point where he writes out all the cards before starting the rounds (after arriving early to work, unpaid) and then pops them in the doors without knocking.. if he didn't do that he wouldn't have enough time to deliver all the letters on his round. He explained this with such speed and clarity that I got the impression he'd had to explain himself to dozens of other people too, a lot of which were probably much less polite than me.

Just a little insight into the striker's world.. I'm sure they wouldn't have gone on strike if the situation wasn't so completely nuts.

rich1231
17-10-2009, 10:24
Scarlet squig..

Did your postie tell you that more than likely he is paid for 8 hours.. finnishes after 5 and if works anything after his allocated work, will demand 3 or 4 hours overtime even if that work is within his contracted hours?

grissom2006
17-10-2009, 10:29
It's easy you wite out a bunch of cards on your break then go to their house post the card job done. I know of a postman who got caught out doing this so i know it goes on.

Cherrystone
17-10-2009, 10:49
My postman is the opposite, if no ones in he will sign for the parcels himself and even walk to the back garden and leave them in the green house.

Harry
17-10-2009, 10:50
Apparently not! I don't get it either, but that's the reason I got from the postman... he now has to cover about 50% more streets in the same time compared to 2 years ago, has got to the point where he writes out all the cards before starting the rounds (after arriving early to work, unpaid) and then pops them in the doors without knocking.. if he didn't do that he wouldn't have enough time to deliver all the letters on his round. He explained this with such speed and clarity that I got the impression he'd had to explain himself to dozens of other people too, a lot of which were probably much less polite than me.

Just a little insight into the striker's world.. I'm sure they wouldn't have gone on strike if the situation wasn't so completely nuts.
Mmmm. Surely rather than arriving one hour early and working unpaid to write out the cards he would be better actually trying to deliver the mail and working the additional hour at the end of round because it took him a bit longer. Certainly better for the customer. I must have a word with my postie and find out what his take is as I do seem to get more cards than parcels delivered, despite my wife being home ....
.... or so she tells me :eek:

grissom2006
17-10-2009, 11:11
My postman is the opposite, if no ones in he will sign for the parcels himself and even walk to the back garden and leave them in the green house.

Well in the case of the one i knew getting caught out doing what he did i haven't seen hide nore hair of the guy since ;). But like any company your bound to have a few bad eggs that break or bend rules. My current postman will hand me my post as i walk past him he's gotten to know me that well long before he gets to my house if he see's me.

Crube
17-10-2009, 11:17
This is a topic for GW offering free courier delivery, not to discuss the Royal Mail / Post Office strikes.

Please keep it on topic folks.

Crube
The Warseer Inquisition

DeathTyrant
17-10-2009, 12:21
Good stuff, I've always had good experiences with GW customer service, no matter what direction the company takes for the games and armies themselves. Stuff gets despatched quickly, and I've yet to receive a mis-picked order.

Magos Explorator
17-10-2009, 14:17
I was glad to see the free postage offer on the GW site--it makes me more inclined to buy some of the Direct Order bits that I'd like but wouldn't pick up if I had to pay extra for postage/buy over 50 worth for the free postage.

Yodhrin
18-10-2009, 08:56
Noy good for the royal mail though and its 10000's of employee's and communities that rely on a local post office

Then maybe they should stop their selfish strike actions. This is the new millennium, yet we still suffer at the hands of Luddites rebelling against the industrialisation of their industry :rolleyes: