PDA

View Full Version : BA or Tau

Draxonicar
16-10-2009, 22:29
...I am at a complete loss, here, I LOVE the fulff for both of them, thing both (especially kroot) are awesome, but cant decide. If it was still legal, I'd use DH, take BA units as allies and hire kroot mercs, but since they are unnoficial, I' have to choose. BA have a fairly old codex, are pretty unpopular and have cool toys (exsanguinators rock) the codex is also free, meaning I can use my AOBR marines for them

Kroot are.....FREAKING KROOT....cool fluff, troop monstrous creatures, and kickass models. The tau codex costs money, meaning I cant pick it up and play and decide if I like it, and I'd have to buy the models, on the other hand they are around medium in popularity, meaning I can easily find advice on their tactics. help me decide!

hendybadger
16-10-2009, 22:35
In my own opinion it would depend on what you wanted to do with the models.
If you want to try perfect sharp paintjobs with exact markings go for BA.
If you want to convert aload of different alien races and manga-like battlesuits then go for Tau

LonelyPath
16-10-2009, 22:43
If you have DH and have some spare SM minis I would recommend trying the BA as allies as you said, then if you have a friend with the Tau codex and the minis, borrow them for a few games to test them out and see how that faires with you. After that you can pick whichever you prefer most. I had been arguing collecting Orks for a while until I got to use a friends army a few times which convinced me that I did want to collect them.

imperial90
16-10-2009, 22:44
Do you really want to play with the Blueberries? :p

fluffstalker
16-10-2009, 22:44
Well if your equally matched on fluff terms, then Id say go for playstyle. What do you enjoy doing on the tabletop to your opponent? Shredding, shooting, blasting, what not.

Keep in mind that most Tau armies dont include much in the way of kroot, and from what your posting Id say you like kroot alot, which is fine, but their not much competition for the other shootier Tau stuff. A kroot themed list could be very cool but not very effective on the tabletop.

Id say that its a good idea to go out and grab the codex Tau regardless of whether your going to decide now or not, as it gives you an idea of the units and paint schemes available. Hell, Id do it for all armies, if I had that cash :D.

Good luck.

Fall from grace
17-10-2009, 00:11
I've heard BA is next after Nids, so personally I'd go for them.

I've always thought of the Tau as space-hippies with their Greater Good jargon plus they can't even fight properly.

Draxonicar
17-10-2009, 00:51
I've heard BA is next after Nids, so personally I'd go for them.

I've always thought of the Tau as space-hippies with their Greater Good jargon plus they can't even fight properly.

Same, which is why I like the kroot

Creeping Dementia
17-10-2009, 00:53
I play Tau, and only have played against BA. As for going with Tau, I wouldn't do it if you're mainly it it for the kroot.

Play wise, kroot are a good unit, but suffer from diminishing returns the more you get. 1-2 units usually work out great, more than that and you get oversaturated and run out of jobs they'll do well. Also, in a Tau army you have to take a Crisis suit commander, and you have to take firewarriors, they're 1+ choices, so full kroot isn't possible if you were thinking of going that route. Also, the Tau strengths are based heavily around easily killing tanks, having high-strength concentrated firepower, mobility through durable skimmers, and flexability from markerlights. Kroot have none of that, though they can put out a fair amount of fire thats cheap and slightly less effective than bolters, and outflanking a unit or two of them is a good way to get them where they need to be. Kroot heavy lists try to be sort of like orks, but orks do everything better and cheaper.

I personally don't use Kroot anymore, I just don't like the fluff or the models, but as a supplement for the Tau they work alright.

As for BA, I don't think the lists I played against were very good so I'll keep the commentary minimal. They seemed to lack enough anti-tank to cope with Mech lists, but I'm not sure if that was the army in general or just an under-prepared player.

So, first decide how you'd like to use kroot in a Tau army, if it's more than a couple units then you're in for a tough road. Maybe reconsider and go with BA.

Draxonicar
17-10-2009, 01:00
I'd probably use them to whittle down enemies with rifles then charge into battle and tear em up in melee since tau dont get much in assault.

Creeping Dementia
17-10-2009, 01:08
I'd probably use them to whittle down enemies with rifles then charge into battle and tear em up in melee since tau dont get much in assault.

And that is one of the main weaknesses of the kroot, their rifles are rapid fire. So you either shoot for one, maybe two turns and then assault (never having the chance to rapidfire), or just pillbox in a forest and shoot untill you get charged. My point is there is usually either whittling down an opponent or charging and attempting a tear-up-in-melee, not both. Thats why ork boyz are better, they have assault weapons so they can move, fire, and charge in the same turn, kroot can't.

S_A_T_S
17-10-2009, 01:10
I have BA, Tau and a Kroot Merc force based on Kompletly Kroots custom Codex. I love the auxiliary type forces in tau list: idea for my army is they operate on the edges of Tau space as a patrolling/defence force, so they have to use auxiliaries to keep up their numbers.

Back to the question: take Tau. They can produce brilliant, powerful, and massivly different lists, and they give you an excuse to use Kroot. Also, far too many people have marine armies. It is getting quite boring to go to the local store with my Chaos marines and play nothing but other marines. I take my daemons sometimes, just because Daemons are excellent at slaughtering marines...

Draxonicar
17-10-2009, 01:17
I thought tau were very popular too?

Far Seer
17-10-2009, 01:32
blood angels are awesome! they're getting a codex update next year so that solves the old codex problem. and once the new BA codex comes out a lot of people will start BA. and with a kroot themed army... i agree with everyone else.

razcalking
17-10-2009, 01:40
Blood Angels will likely be everywhere after the release of their codex, so there's that to keep in mind as well.

I'd say it should really come down to the playstyle your looking for - shooty or assault? Go BA if you want to get stuck in, or Tau if you'd prefer shooty tactics.

fox-hound
17-10-2009, 01:50
I play Tau and marines, it depends on your play style. But if you asked me I would say join me and FIGHT FOR THE GREATER GOOD!!!!! Plus it's just so fun to take a bunch of railguns and by the end of turn 2 you've already taken care of every enemy tank:D.

Prospero
17-10-2009, 06:09
...I am at a complete loss, here, I LOVE the fulff for both of them, thing both (especially kroot) are awesome, but cant decide. If it was still legal, I'd use DH, take BA units as allies and hire kroot mercs, but since they are unnoficial, I' have to choose. BA have a fairly old codex, are pretty unpopular and have cool toys (exsanguinators rock) the codex is also free, meaning I can use my AOBR marines for them

Kroot are.....FREAKING KROOT....cool fluff, troop monstrous creatures, and kickass models. The tau codex costs money, meaning I cant pick it up and play and decide if I like it, and I'd have to buy the models, on the other hand they are around medium in popularity, meaning I can easily find advice on their tactics. help me decide!

Didn't you say in the thread "I feel dirty..." that you hated contributing to the "pile of money" that was Space Marines, and that your first pick was Tau - but you couldn't find a cheap way to field them?

You seem to of had an abrupt change of heart - I just hope it's not because of the rumored Blood Angels dex.

O'Henry
17-10-2009, 07:52
Judging by the way you're thinking I think that what you want isn't kroot but assault marines. Kroot are not so good at close combat, I use 2 squads of 10 as fire support, bait and objective hunters. The only reason to assault with the kroot is to prevent other units from being charged.

So I say go for the BA unless you really want to try something different than marines.

Edit:Don't worry about who is getting a release first as Tau are going to be updated shortly after the BA and probably there won't be many changes to the minatures (except vespid, Broadsides and Tau commanders)

Charistoph
17-10-2009, 08:23
I' have to choose. BA have a fairly old codex, ...

Not really that old, if by old you mean 2 1/2 years. Most of the "live" Codeci are older than the current Blood Angels. It was put in originally in the June and July 2007 White Dwarf, a year before 5th Edition's launch last year, and later put online in PDF form. It's even had a little update to make it more current than any other pre-5th codex. Only 2 Space Marine codeci are more recent than Blood Angels, the Smurfs and the Puppies (the Chaos dudes came out roughly the same time, but they were finalized earlier due to printing schedules). The Tau, Dark Angels, Black Templars, and Grey Knights have all been out much longer than the current Blood Angels.

What does that mean? It means of your two choices, the Blood Angels are most up to date with the current edition.

If you want more of a challenge and be forced to learn JAWS warfare, than go Tau.