PDA

View Full Version : What Great Company do you play?

Astraeos
16-10-2009, 22:53
Originally I was planning to do my Space Wolves as Ragnar Blackmane's Great Company, but after a while it occured to me that this was what everyone was going to do. And why not? Ragnar is cool and the icon for his Great Company can easily be found in the Space Wolves and Drop Pods boxed sets.

As much as I like Ragnar I decided I didn't want to do what everyone else would probably go for, so after reading about the Great Companies I settled on Krom Dragongaze, although Bjorn Stormwolf and Sven Bloodhowl were tempting too. The chance to develop my own character was another reason I decided to use a different Great Company.
I gave Krom Terminator armour, Wolf claws and the Saga of the Bear as I thought this would be a good representation of him.

So I present this question to other Space Wolf players, which Great Company does your army represent? And maybe even tell us why you particularly chose that company.

For me I liked the sound of Krom's personality, and the description of his Great Company does give some reasonable space for developing the army as I'd like. It does say there's a lot of Wolf Guard in his company but I think that'll only come to the fore in games of Planetstrike, Apocalypse and games above 2000 points really. That just gives me an excuse to just randomly make a model now and then when I feel like it!

Eulenspiegel
16-10-2009, 23:19
Originally I was planning to do (...) Space Wolves (...), but after a while it occured to me that this was what everyone was going to do.

My cynical twin brother fixed that for you ...

Without trying to pick a fight: Space Wolves are flavour of the next few months, with bad luck even more (after the next ´dexes). Everybody is going to jump on the wolfwagon. Trying to be that special snowflake for picking a less well-known company? .... try harder ... ;)

Yes I´m bitter. Feel free to ignore me.

Jayden63
16-10-2009, 23:25
I had to go with Bjorn Stormwolf. My avatar name when online wargaming is Jayden StormClaw. Also, even before I got the new codex I was/am running two Vindicators in my army and when it mentioned them in his bio, it was like a match made in heaven... err. Fenris.

The only problem will be his company icon. Its one of the more complicated and getting that onto shoulder pads is going to be a royal pain in the behind.

Bestial Fury
17-10-2009, 00:14
Mine is Harald Deathwolf with his lt. doing a lot of the work. (Adopted the symbol before current dex.)

Metaphorazine
17-10-2009, 02:39
The company of the Great Wolf, of course. I can't see Logan Grimnar coming along for the ride with any other company, and I want to field him from time to time. The only other two specials I plan to field from time to time are Arjac and Njal, and they work with Grimnar's company too, as far as I can tell. Obviously Njal and Grimnar can't fight together at the same time due to the sagas, but still.

On that topic though, and before I start painting shoulder pads, I havn't seen anywhere in the codex so far any info about what companies Njal is affiliated with. Does anyone know where he comes from? I know Arjac is Grimnar's champion, but Njal just seems to hang around.

Edit:

My cynical twin brother fixed that for you ...

Without trying to pick a fight: Space Wolves are flavour of the next few months, with bad luck even more (after the next ´dexes). Everybody is going to jump on the wolfwagon. Trying to be that special snowflake for picking a less well-known company? .... try harder ... ;)

Yes I´m bitter. Feel free to ignore me.

If you weren't trying to pick a fight, what exactly does your post bring to this thread?

shin'keiro
17-10-2009, 04:02
Well ive always like Ragnar, so i did his Great Company... all of my armies are based around close combat, so he was the perfect choice...

you can see pics in my space wolves log (link in sig)

Bran Dawri
17-10-2009, 07:16
Logan Grimnar's GC - before he became chapter master. (And before this Codex).
I just like the symbol of the wolf howling against the moon, no other reason.

As for Njal, as a Rune Priest, he's affiliated with Logan's Great Cpny.

starlight
17-10-2009, 07:19
Running Wolfwing means taking Logan is a requirement...however since the Legio Phoenix Templars are a pre-Second Founding Salamander Successor, he'll be counting as someone else... :p

grissom2006
17-10-2009, 09:01
13th Company.

Emperor's Scourge
17-10-2009, 09:13
Bran Redmaw's. Mainly because there's very little fluff surrounding him and his company. Freeing me up to do whatever I wish. Plus, I like their insignia.

player21
17-10-2009, 09:16
Ragner, I love that yellow on the pads. Sometime wolfwing. Got to love terminators.

Imperialis_Dominatus
17-10-2009, 09:18
Don't play Space Wolves, but the Lost Company of Svengar the Red sounds entertaining. Going for some woman gets me in trouble, sounds typical and I wish it would actually happen some time, I want a good scrap at a fine party with many wenches.

Grubnar
17-10-2009, 20:43
The great company of Logan Grimnar.

Sir_Turalyon
21-10-2009, 12:52
Killer Shrews - joke army using "Space Wolves meet classic B-movie" theme. Fluffwise they are a unrecognized successor chapter based on great company exiled for being bunch of lazy lessers, final offense being covering their armour with cheap fur carpets instead of bothering to hunt wolves for furs and covering their shoulder pads when ordered by Great Wolf to adopt a proper company symbol, company that mysteriously grew in numbers to chapter size.

Idea is synergy of very bad horror about giant killer shrews who mysteriously multiplied and threatened humans; "shrews" being played by dogs clad in costumes made from cheap fur carpets, and fact that results of my attempts to scupult wolf pelts looked bad... more like strip from carpet then fur pelt.

Lostanddamned
21-10-2009, 14:30
Thirteenth Company, still... since about two years ago...

Took a bit of adaption, but Wulfen integrated into packs? yes please!

gwarsh41
21-10-2009, 14:30
I.... I cant remember, my nose has been buried in the chaos daemons codex for a while.

Petay1985
21-10-2009, 15:24
The Great Company of Bjorn Stormwolf :) I like vindicators, long fangs and bikes, plus my mates say i'm impatient, subtle as brick, etc.... so it was a no brainer!! :)

Egaeus
21-10-2009, 18:40
I don't play Space Wolves (yet at least ;))...but if I were to make a Space Wolves army I would probably pick Egil Iron Wolf as I'm a bit of a tread-head when it comes to 40K and the description of his Great Company seems to fit the bill.

Orcboy_Phil
21-10-2009, 21:21
Erik Morkai, because I like the symbol.

Galatan
21-10-2009, 22:27
Ragnar's company, don't care if they are wolf poster boys. I like ragnar's background, the yellow is really striking, which I like and the symbol is easily freehanded. Maybe in the future I'll opt to start a gunnar red moon army, mainly because I really like the symbol. Or a engir krakendoom mech army, because he's got darker skin and comes from sailing southern tribe's. As a twist of fate, I've got darker skin tone and my family is a line of die hard sailors :) (the symbol is a lot harder to freehand though and I don't like the background colour).

Gray Hunter
21-10-2009, 23:27
Ragnar Blackmane's primarily. This is because when I started the army in 2nd Edition, all Space Wolves had Ragnar's Great Company marking. Now that it's specific to Ragnar, I'm stuck with it because I'm not re-painting 15 years worth of Wolves.

I also have elements of Logan's Company (with the aim of having an entire Wolf Guard Terminator Company).

HerrDusty
22-10-2009, 00:08
I was going to do Ragnar Blackmane's company, but I have real trouble painting yellow in any kind of consistently good looking way, and I've decided I really like Logan Grimnar's symbol, so I've settled on making Logan Grimnar's company. I orded a buttload of the Terminator shoulderpads with his symbol on to make his Wolfguard, and I've painted his symbol on their Crusader, so I suppose there's no going back for me now, heh.

Reaper of Solus
22-10-2009, 03:36
Egil Ironwolf, all the way. Damn awesome guy even if I don't give him a load of bionics. And who doesn't like a thunder hammer wielding guy with a beard rushing towards you whilst shooting away with a plasma pistol?

Matt D
22-10-2009, 14:55
sven bloodhowl for me. with the models i have available to me he was the best choice. close combat w/out drop pods like ragnar and i gave all my wolf guard combi flamers since it has been rumored that they breath fire before joining battle. :)

Lord Of The Avatars
22-10-2009, 17:08
Im collecting Harald Deathwolf's as his army has Canis and it fits with meh army! I also like his background and his symbol on the annulus

L.O.T.A

Son of Russ
22-10-2009, 20:02
I started my Wolves back in Rogue Trader days from the WD army list. Everyone had Ragnar's Shoulder plate so I'm sticking with it. I like to use Ragnar but I use another home made Wolf Lord from time to time. Don't really care "if everyone is doing it" as I've been with them since they first really became the Chapter I love.