PDA

View Full Version : WH40K Guitars.?

Tokugawa100
17-10-2009, 03:39
How come Noise Marines no longer carry guitars into battle, that seemed like a cool idea and the models look pretty good.

You might say why dont I just buy the old models, my point is why dont they seem to mention Noise Marines with guitars in the codexes.

What happen to them, did you think they were cool.

Thankyou in advance.:)

Metaphorazine
17-10-2009, 03:42
I actually thought it was the stupidest idea I'd ever heard, sorry, but I'm glad they're gone. If you want to model your minis like that, please go ahead, but having an army in the codex that fights WITH THE POWAH OF ROCK! annoys the **** outta me.

I'm all for people customising their armies, however, so if I saw someone with a bunch of marines armed with guitars, awesome. Just having it as canon... Urgh.

Imperius
17-10-2009, 03:59
The old Noise Marines had guitar-guns. Most people thought they looked terrible, but the concept was funny.

They were an official GW release too.

Inquisitor Engel
17-10-2009, 04:10
I'd be all for it.

rabblerouser
17-10-2009, 04:44
It was a silly idea. I'm glad they're gone, but I do like the older sculpts as cheeky collectors items. Same goes for the goff rock band that is still available.

Havarel
17-10-2009, 04:47
If you understand the concept/idea behind it it's great. IE Lucius during the Horus Heresy Books. Its an amazing concept, that music can back war, and it works with a decent amount of music (depending on what you listen too: try listening to Amon Amath whilst playing DoW).

destroyerlord
17-10-2009, 05:30
I voted meh. Rabblerouser says it all for me. They have same sort of appeal as collectors models as the white dwarf in space, but as a production boxed set/blister? No thanks.

solkan
17-10-2009, 05:45
Those 1st edition noise marines with their guitars were, and still are, completely ridiculous. I mean that both as a good thing, delightfully funny, and a bad thing, campy and not at all 'grimdark'.

I happen to like their campiness, so I own a few and I've fielded them, but I can also see the same studio which said, "We have no idea what we're doing with these heavy drinking biker space dwarves, so they're getting axed" to push noise marines into a more serious depiction.

Absolutionis
17-10-2009, 05:59
Noise Marines have noise weaponry that uses discordant noise as a weapon. They still do.
Now using Chaos Guitars is almost as awesome as Doomrider himself.

eltanko
17-10-2009, 07:09
As said, its a cool idea as a collectors item, but it takes away the whole serious chaos aspect to the weapon. Orks could probably get away with re-introducing goff rocka's, as they are a slightly less serious army at times!!

ElTanko

Captain Blood
17-10-2009, 07:17
The concept might not be as far fetched as you may think. Think about it, Noise Marines do it because something draws them to the loudest, most discordant noise they can get, so their gear goes to 11. They're always about new experiences so having the same loud noise coming from the gun would get tired after half a battle or less. If you give them control over the weapon so they could vary pitch and the like, they'd at least be able to keep themselves amused as they blew apart their foes.

That said, if somebody were to make a sculpt of a Noisemarine with a Fender Stratocaster, Flying V or a Gibson Les Paul, that would be a sight to behold.

Bran Dawri
17-10-2009, 07:20
I thought they were neat, in much the same way as Solkan, except I don't give a flying toss about the grimdark.

grissom2006
17-10-2009, 09:02
Well my army fields 6 of them :D

Radium
17-10-2009, 09:06
Nah, I like the idea of weapons using high frequency sound a lot more than some souped up guitar.

grissom2006
17-10-2009, 09:07
Nah, I like the idea of weapons using high frequency sound a lot more than some souped up guitar.

Who say's they tuned them ;)

Imperialis_Dominatus
17-10-2009, 09:14
I can't bring myself to take posters that find guitar-guns to be ridiculous in Warhammer 40k seriously.

I mean, this is Warhammer 40k we're talking about here. The opposite of serious. The utter and complete joke-ification of every horror and wonder devised by Man. Sure, the GRIMDARK adds some aura of "SO SERIOUS" to 40k but it's a veneer of plausibility over an obvious jest.

I'm not sure what I said made sense, as I've recently polished off the majority of a bottle of rum (in before "why's the rum gone?"). But I hope you get my point.

grissom2006
17-10-2009, 09:44
At least they didn't try using Violins or Cellos

BaronDG
17-10-2009, 10:45
I would so buy violin playing csm!!!

The Red Scourge
17-10-2009, 10:58
The noise marines were spawned as a ridiculous concept to call some attention to some band (not Bolt Thrower) GW were promoting at the time. Why they chose to carry the concept any further is beyond me, but some of you guys obviously have too much money - and bad taste ;)

grissom2006
17-10-2009, 11:03
but some of you guys obviously have too much money - and bad taste ;)

Ummm maybe but in my case i used to be able to get minitures by weight.

Noting nobodies bringing up the Ork ones yet :p til now lol

Forgotmytea
17-10-2009, 11:30
I would so buy violin playing csm!!!
Hmm, a whole Noise Marine orchestra - that mental image is actually tempting me to go out and start that army, with the Daemon Prince as the conductor :D

Mannimarco
17-10-2009, 12:11
stick them on a baneblade chasis, cover it in those pipes from that old sisters of battle kit and you've got yourself a datasheet right there

Tymell
17-10-2009, 12:25
I say go for it.

I don't think they should be included "officially" as it were, in the codex. But as a fun little twist it sounds good to me ;) Why not, I say? This is a game after all. Have a bit of fun!

bosstroll
17-10-2009, 12:28
Love em, exactly because they're not serious.

I own them, my brother owns the goff rockerz.

Our club pretty much went mad and/or laughed till their noses bled when we first brought them round, good times :)

Darkmatyr
17-10-2009, 13:01
Haha noise marines with guitars was even funnier than space dwarves on bikes, ridiculous yet pretty cool. But in the game I wouldn't want to see em.

On the note of a Noise marine ochestra.... That is such a awesome idea, imaging bringing that around for the first time in your local store. Hehe I'd love to do that to....just I fail at good conversions so might pass.

RMHaggis
17-10-2009, 13:06
i think they were a little on the silly side but this is a fantasy sci fi type universe where we all sit round tables with toy soldiers and roll dice so why not?

brawnyman1989
17-10-2009, 13:32
I got into Noise Marines very recently and when I saw that they used to carry guitars, I thought that was awesome and wanted to get my greedy little hands on them. Sci-Fi metal for the win?

solkan
18-10-2009, 06:01
The noise marines were spawned as a ridiculous concept to call some attention to some band (not Bolt Thrower) GW were promoting at the time. Why they chose to carry the concept any further is beyond me, but some of you guys obviously have too much money - and bad taste ;)
Hmm. I don't have the White Dwarf for the model, but Stuff of Legends shows a 1993 copyright for the section three catalog with that figure. That would put the release in '92 probably. If Wikipedia's to be trusted on the matter, D-Rok released its only album, Oblivion in '91 and the first track on that album was "Noise Marines". Bolter and Chainsword's index says that the rules were published in White Dwarf 144 which would be December '91, apparently.

Yeah, GW either let some guys put together a 40k themed rock album, or whatever happened, but I have a feeling that the album was promoting 40k more than the figure was promoting the album.

Wolfblade670
18-10-2009, 08:35
I thought they were hilarious. I loved 'em. We are talking about a game whose background is basically heavy metal given form. Hell, at one point the Emperor's Children were basically one giant Hair Metal band + groupies. Some of the old school stuff was a blast. :D

Then again, I'm the type of person who draws the greatest enjoyment from 40k from appreciating its cliche nature, and to take it seriously, but not too seriously...

nightgant98c
21-10-2009, 20:00
I have no problem with sound based weapons, but giant guitars are kinda goofy.

Durath
21-10-2009, 20:11
Behold, /\/\etal in all it's furious glory:
http://www.warseer.com/gallery/data/500/Hedonic_Lords_-_Noise_Marine.jpg (http://www.warseer.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2138&ppuser=15913)

{edit:Admittedly, the photo is not the best, but this is one of the first 40k minis I have ever painted (early 90's)}

x-esiv-4c
21-10-2009, 20:11
Old school noise marines were awesome. Hell, so was most of the RT line.

now its "MAOR GRIMDARK! LESs GUIATASSRS MAOR SKUHHLLZZ!!!"

JHZ
21-10-2009, 20:34
Weren't the sonic blasters and blaster masters originally just instruments, so powerful that they actually worked as weapons and that's where the Noise Marines picked them? That's what I remember being the background for them. So, when is the last time you had an instrument shaped like a gun?

Instrument looking sonic weapons is only logical. And Awesome(tm). And anyone who disagrees hasen't seen the video for War Photographer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAFXayH1bpY) by Jason Forrest.

And where's Noise Marine Hero game, where I destroy the followers of the falce Emperor to the tunes of hard rock? GW just isn't up with the times. Now is the time to strike, while the metal is still hot.

Durath
21-10-2009, 21:17
Weren't the sonic blasters and blaster masters originally just instruments, so powerful that they actually worked as weapons and that's where the Noise Marines picked them? That's what I remember being the background for them. So, when is the last time you had an instrument shaped like a gun?

Instrument looking sonic weapons is only logical. And Awesome(tm). And anyone who disagrees hasen't seen the video for War Photographer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAFXayH1bpY) by Jason Forrest.

And where's Noise Marine Hero game, where I destroy the followers of the falce Emperor to the tunes of hard rock? GW just isn't up with the times. Now is the time to strike, while the metal is still hot.

Yep, this is how at least one of the Noise Marine stories was written.

But... err... umm... well... the old school mini that's being refered to here.... well.... it, kinda has a smallish Bolter looking gun barrel under the neck joint. It's really hard to see in the picture I linked, but after painting multiple mini's like this one, I assure you it's there.

And... well... the newer Noise Marines are more accurate, as their "guns" have more "speaker" looking mouths.

isidril93
21-10-2009, 21:23
a 1000W marshall that thy'd have to carry would be a bit heavy dont you think?

although i have seen kurt cobain actually hitting someone with his guitar
jimi hendrix could have killed somoeone with that flaming guitar of his in wild thing

TimLeeson
21-10-2009, 22:09
Wouldnt noise marines make actual NOISE, noise-marines with guitars would feel like GW are pondering to the metalheads that actually think bands like disturbed and bolt thrower suit "40k".

Nah, noise marines if anything should have synths or noise-boxes, that produce stuff like this ;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqw_mx8Cfvs

Havock
21-10-2009, 23:08
I thought they were neat, in much the same way as Solkan, except I don't give a flying toss about the grimdark.

That. 40k is about blowing **** up and chainsawing stuff to death.
What 40k is not about is serious business.

I mean, really, guitar + daemonically posessed amplifier = brains leaking out of ears.

StormWulfen
21-10-2009, 23:24
Noting nobodies bringing up the Ork ones yet :p til now lol

actually they were mentioned several times before your post lol

as too my opinion? i am very open minded, if it looks cool use it, but having noise marines with guitars as standard fluff? that's as stupid as space wolves riding wolves.

Durath
21-10-2009, 23:37
that's as stupid as space wolves riding wolves.

Touché. I take offense (well, not really).

Because "Orcs", I mean "Orks" riding around in hollowed out rocks for space ships is no less dumb.

40k isn't completely without it's "goofy-factor". Guitar-Wielding madmen and Space Orcs both fall in that category in my book.

daroo
28-10-2009, 23:20
Hmm, a whole Noise Marine orchestra - that mental image is actually tempting me to go out and start that army, with the Daemon Prince as the conductor :D

That sound so awsome i would love to see that!:D
i think that noise marines were a good idea and i think they should defenatly bring them back. sonic weponry to me sounds likes something that would happen, even more likely than lasguns (beams of light that kill people?), or plasma cannons (super electrified air flying out of a gun?)

Hellebore
28-10-2009, 23:44
Noise marines carry weapons that emit noise. The original versions of them were actual instruments found in Fulgrim.

Ergo, noise marines carry weaponised instruments to battle. That a battleguitar is ridiculous doesn't actually change what they are.

Which is cool by the way.

Hellebore