PDA

View Full Version : Greatest opening shots

Asmodia
17-10-2009, 10:28
Last night I played in a 3000 point guard Vs guard battle. We used multiple detachments so he took an Infantry company and a Baneblade and I had an Infantry company and a tank company.

He goes first, manages to destroy all my hellhound cannons, stun an eradicator and knock the main cannon off my Punisher, as well as a few infantry casualties. Not great, but not too bad as I was making use of all the cover I could.

My first shot, Anti tank team with lascannons vs the Baneblade. I failed the Bring it Down orders test, but managed to get one penentrating hit, which started a chain reaction and blew it up completely.

We were both stunned, and for me it was the greatest shot (let alone starting shot) I had ever gotten.

So I ask, what was your best ever opening shot?

grissom2006
17-10-2009, 10:35
So with one shot you managed a Penetrating shot with a 6 then managed to roll a further 3 6's after that????

As it can only blow up once it's got zero structure points.

Bunnahabhain
17-10-2009, 10:43
Having just used a callidus assassin to move the Big Mek into a more sensible position, one chimera opens up, and drops him dead.

The Ork first wave then evaporates without that cover save to keep them safe...

Asmodia
17-10-2009, 10:55
So with one shot you managed a Penetrating shot with a 6 then managed to roll a further 3 6's after that????

Correct!!!!

grissom2006
17-10-2009, 11:08
Youch i take my hat off to you good sir.

Best i've done is kill 5 units by blowing up a Reaver and sending it into a melt down. But i have to give credit to the person i was playing along side for taking out the Stucture points and void shields and i did it with a Melta Bomb.

Ianos
17-10-2009, 11:19
Destroying 2 hammerheads, 1 skyray and one devilfish round one with my 5 grav tanks guided shooting, in a 1500, 4th ed. cityfight tournament.

Vampiric16
17-10-2009, 11:29
My 5 tyranid warriors armed with deathspitters and a barbed strangler (+1S) completely wiped out a tooled up unit of 8 vanguard. The following turn they wiped out the lightning claw termies that had just arrived from deep strike. Over 400pts worth of models wiped out before getting anywhere near combat.

mughi3
17-10-2009, 11:31
OK i am game-early 4th ed. first shot of the game old vehicle pen chart.

Deathwing command squad inside a landraider crusader, basalisk strike hits dead on rolls up an ordinance pen 6-land raider gone, terminator libby gone, terminator command squad all gone. close to 700 points out of an 1,850 game off the table in the first shot...needless to say my deathwing didn't win that one.

Second greatest opening shot-
apocalypse game-old roughrider rules, old FW superheavy vehicle tables(4th ed game)
4 roughriders charge a baneblade, 4 melta bombs hit, 4 pen(against AV 14 no less)baneblade evaporates

LonelyPath
17-10-2009, 13:37
Possibly my greatest opening shot was from a Line Breaker Quadron that managed to land directly on terget and take out 10 Nob Bikerz and a battlewagon which was carryng a good sized mob of Meganobz and Ghazghkull. The Megas and Ghaz did survive, but they went down in the second turn to another accurate destroyer hit.

Second best opening shot was scoring almost 30 hits (I forget the exact number) with a stationary Stormlord on 10 close assault temries and wiping them out.

hmk17
17-10-2009, 13:45
Back in 4th ed. two friends sat down to play a friendly game of Marines v. Necrons.

Opening Lascannon from the Land Raider one shot the Monolith. Pretty much kept rolling like that for the Marine player.

Curufew
17-10-2009, 14:01
Looted wagon fired a shot at Kharn and his squad of beserkers, after rolling to wound, nothing was left.

WookieeGunner
17-10-2009, 15:23
4th edition 500pts (escalation league). I'm playing nids vs. Space Marines. The Marine player has a Dreadnought. The only thing I had that could touch it was a Warrior with a Venom Canon. First shot, hit, glanced, destroyed.

Brady
17-10-2009, 15:25
one of my first ever games ( back in yr8 !) i shot my missile pod at a dreadnought and hit with both shots, double sixes on armour pen and double sixes on damage table

opponent was a happy chappy then!

Macragge
17-10-2009, 15:47
Probably when I was trying my Sternguard out for the first time against Eldar. Podded a squad of 10 in, used Vengeance round rapid firing at a squad of 12 Guardian Jetbikes + 1 Warlock, the whole squad concealed.

18 of 20 hit, none get hot. 14 of which wound (on 4s). 13 allocated to jetbikes, 1 to the Warlock. 13 conceal 5+ cover saves are taken of which none pass, Warlock gets his 4+ invulnerable, and rolls a 1.

Something like 300 points wiped out from a squad of 10 Rapid Firing Sternguard. The squad then went on to knacker half a squad of 6 Wraithguard and Melta down 2 War Walkers, before finally biting the bullet to Reaper fire and the remaining broken squad being assaulted and finished by Scorpions. They took out over 550 pts that game.

Not the meatiest first shot of all the stories here at 300 points, but by far my best first round of shooting in 13 years of gaming. It sticks in my mind because it's more a case of a good round of shooting from my squad, rather than a particularly abysmal saving throw from my opponent.

I think my Sternguard burned themselves out there though, because they've since always fell short in the success dept. since, although they do attract plenty of fire to do so. :)

Holyterror
17-10-2009, 15:47
Correct!!!!

You better put a purity seal on that guy or model a medal on him or something ;)

Asmodia
17-10-2009, 16:50
You better put a purity seal on that guy or model a medal on him or something ;)

I was thinking of getting him a solid gold lascannon. Doesn't matter that it would melt after one shot, because that's all he needs :)

noobzilla
17-10-2009, 18:08
Back in 4th Edition when the new eldar codex had just come out. I was playing a friend with my Imperial Guard vs his Eldar. I won the first turn and we had finished setting up. My basilisks start the game with their bombardment as usual (in 4th edition) and one hits a wave serpent, the other hits a falcon. Versus the falcon, I roll a 4 to pend, and then double 6's vs its holo fields, scoring an ordnance pend. Wiping out the Fire Dragons inside. Against the WS, I get my 1 dice and roll and a 6 and then another 6. Wiping out the Dire Avenger squad inside. Killed about 500 points of an 1850 game out with 2 shots. Killed another 200 points that round. Made it an 1850 vs 1150 game... needless to say, the Eldar did not win.

darker4308
17-10-2009, 18:13
This would be in 2nd edition. My friend Matt used to run Dante and his honor guard. They used to have these stratergy cards I forgot what they were callled. I recall he drew something along the lines of "inspirational speech" and I got something along the lines of "straffing run". Pre-first turn the honor guard around Dante was dead due to autocannon fire from a random card.

Dexter099
17-10-2009, 18:15
Sort of an opening shot...

4th edition, my carnifex comes onto the board and fires his venom cannon at his ork Leman Russ, killing it.

Tomalock
17-10-2009, 18:25
A week or two ago I was in a game with a crimson fist player versus an eldar and necron player (yeah we were making jokes about the foolish eldar all game long). First shooting phase, Pedro drops an orbital bombardment on the necron monolith, hits, pens, explodes. The ensuing explosion capped a few guardians and most of a shining spear squad that was hiding out behind the monolith. They went on to win the game, but the look on the necron player's face was priceless!

IJW
17-10-2009, 19:48
4th edition. Squats using the Ork codex, v. Daemons. The only anti-tank ranged weaponry in the list is Wazzdakka's BS2 gun, supported by boatloads of PowerKlaws.

My opponent's Soul Grinder arrives on the first turn but scatters just too far away to shoot anything. Wazzdakka takes his pot-shots - hitting once, followed by a six for penetration followed by a six on the glancing chart. Boom goes the Soul Grinder, not having fired a single shot.

cuda1179
17-10-2009, 20:24
This storry also falls into the "worste opponent" category. In 3rd editon it was my Necron vs. His Tau, 2000 points.

It was pretty much the first time I had used a Monolith, and it was a mission totally NOT suited to Necron. ( I think it was called abmush?) Anyway, the first turn he managed to kill three warriors, an immortal, and a four jetbikes. He also "stunned" my monolith twice with a team of three Broadsides.

On my first turn all but one jetbike stook back up. Since the Monolith ignores stunning it was fine too. I managed to kill all the Broadsides, a devilfish, a unit of firewarriors, an etherial, his commander, and had a unit of Kroot falling back.

He refused the second turn, packed up his stuff and left while muttering things under his breath.

grissom2006
17-10-2009, 20:32
He refused the second turn, packed up his stuff and left while muttering things under his breath.

Can you say sore loser and general i'm not a person who plays to have fun but to win about him when he acts like that.

If i was to give off my worst mishap in a battle it'd be me losing my Reaver Titan along with every unit that was within 32" of it in turn one.

Grubnar
17-10-2009, 21:28
I took my Orkz to a tournament many years ago where I was faced with a fellow Ork player in the final battle.

We quickly each set up our army, comparing them while we did so, argueing the pros and cons of each unit.

I had a Looted Leman Russ tank while he had a Battlewagon with a maximun number of big shootas and a squad of flash gits onboard with even more big shootas. It was called the Dakkawagon! It had something like 10 bif shootas, including 2 twin linked, that is 30 shots. In one of his previous game he used it to great effect gunning down my friends Tyranids. He clamed it was much, much better that my looted tank and worth every point.

When we start playing I manage to get first turn, I move my orkz and then, my first shot, I fire my looted tanks battle cannon at his wagon, hit, penetrade, and blow it (and the passengers) into smithereens!!!

Ah, it feelt so good!

Naturally, when it was his turn, he responded by having his ENTIRE army try and kill my tank. But it is one of the best performances my greenskins have ever displayed.

hawo0313
18-10-2009, 00:17
When my brother were beginning warhammer 40k one started a Tzeentch C:SM army the other orks the Tzeentch player put his men together in a castle type deployment and the ork player set his up in an agressive stance and first shot of the game the big mek fires its shokk attack gun hits rolls a double six and wipes out 2 obliterators, 2 aspiring sorcerors and 16 thousand sons and a soprceror lord leaving the other guy with nothing but a few Thousand sons and a DP anyway the ork player won that game and now takes one in every game despite never having the same result.

the1stpip
18-10-2009, 00:31
Last week, had a 1750 game. First two shots of the game, two dead Land Raiders.

It was over by the end of turn two.

Imperius
18-10-2009, 00:40
A few weeks after the Guard Codex, I tried out the 9 Leman Russ idea.

Turn one, I've Immobilised a Land Raider Crusader and Destroyed all its weapons with 6 Leman Russes. Then with my last 3 I shot at a predator, 1 hits, penetrates, and blows it up. While the other 2 proceed to scatter and instant death his command squad, then a special character.

The only problem was that I had taken minimal troops and couldn't hold an abojective :p.

Vaulkhar
18-10-2009, 00:45
Ah, the Orks. Masters of the fluke hit...

For another case, take second edition Gretchin against a friend's Wolf Guard. The first shooting of the game sees my Grots opening up on his WG Terminators, more out f desperation than anything. Most miss. Most of the rest bounce. One happens to bounce off of the Terminator with the Cyclone launcher. Under 2nd edition rules, this forces a 2D6 roll and on an 11 or a 12, the Cyclone misfires.

He rolls an 11. Then he rolls a 1 on the misfire chart and the Cyclone, plus all it's ammo, detonates. Cue a 6" blast at Strength 8 and with a -6 save modifier (the modern equivalent would basically be AP2) in the middle of his most expensive squad.

Joewrightgm
18-10-2009, 00:47
Necrons vs. Chaos Marines in 3rd edition. 4x4 table at 1,000 pts. The person I was playing brought a lord and retinue in terminator armor in a land raider. His first turn, he moves the raider 12''. I move my immortals forward, then glance and destroy the land raider, and two terminators die. My warriors then fire at and kill the rest of the retinue and bring the lord down to one wound.

Oh yeah.

One that happened to me: 3rd edition, dropped a monolith next to a Meganob retinue, and then the single combi-rokkit equipped meganob destroyed my monolith with three 6's in a roll.

Sekhmet
18-10-2009, 00:49
Since the Monolith ignores stunning it was fine too.

Monoliths don't ignore stuns. You cheated, although it may not have been intentional.

My greatest opening shot was a heavy destroyer hitting an ork trukk. It exploded and scattered 16" towards me. That gave the ork player a first turn charge with boyz.

leprecron
18-10-2009, 02:06
My deffkoptas shot a rokkit at my opponents defiler hit the front armor and rolled a 6 then a 6 on the damage table detonates and the detonation kills 2 khorne zerks next to the thing. Then my lootas shoot and chew up his other squad of zerkers and a tank shock by a trukk makes him lose a CSM squad. He was raging so hard

Wiseman
18-10-2009, 02:18

As it can only blow up once it's got zero structure points.

I've done a similar thing, except mine was with a hunter killer i had forgot about til last turn of the game, no damage to apocalyptic explosion in one shot.

guillimansknight
18-10-2009, 02:23
You lucky lucky B*****D!!

Bunnahabhain
18-10-2009, 02:29
I almost lost my entire army in one shot....

Opponent had placed some snipers in a forward position, and I stole the Initiative. Rolled Chimera forward, and placed heavy flamer template over most of the unit.

He tried to insist I couldn't fire the hull mounted heavy flamer, as it clipped my own hull, and when he said he was serious, I started packing up....

He backed down, so I just failed to kill my entire army with one shot, and some principals...

Vaul
18-10-2009, 02:36
Me with nids versus my friend with marines. good few years back, when biovores acid mines used the flame template. First turn, lobbed an acid mine beside a ridiculously placed couple of tanks. two rhinos, a predator and a land raider, all on one big line, hull to hull. Mine landed, acid spray burst right across all 4 tanks, penetrating and exploding all of them. It was bloody priceless. i rolled 8 sixes in a row and we still bring it up on a regular basis. I loved my biovores...

kardar233
18-10-2009, 03:18
I almost lost my entire army in one shot....

Opponent had placed some snipers in a forward position, and I stole the Initiative. Rolled Chimera forward, and placed heavy flamer template over most of the unit.

He tried to insist I couldn't fire the hull mounted heavy flamer, as it clipped my own hull, and when he said he was serious, I started packing up....

He backed down, so I just failed to kill my entire army with one shot, and some principals...

Wait.... I don't get it. You got first turn, moved up, flamed the sniper squad. He said you couldn't fire the flamer. Argument ensued, you fire it anyways, you probably killed the snipers. How does that have anything to do with failing to kill your own army in one shot?

Prospero
18-10-2009, 05:45
Wait.... I don't get it. You got first turn, moved up, flamed the sniper squad. He said you couldn't fire the flamer. Argument ensued, you fire it anyways, you probably killed the snipers. How does that have anything to do with failing to kill your own army in one shot?

He is saying the game almost ended because of that single shot.