PDA

View Full Version : Considering the Tau

The Red Scourge
17-10-2009, 10:10
So I'm getting into 40K. At first with an Ordo Malleus army, but I have my eyes set on Tau for later - then probably I'll join the hive mind.

As I haven't taken a look at their codex, but only their models, but I was considering an army containing something like this at 1500pts.:

HQ: Shadowsun - or generic hq similarly equipped

Elites: XV15-25 stealth suits

Fast Attack: Pathfinders and Gun Drones

Troops: Fire Warriors

Heavy Support: XV88s and Sniper Drones

Any ideas and comments on how this would fair would be appreciated :)

grissom2006
17-10-2009, 10:19
Well Tau is a good army highly mobile and good high strength weapons. Poor in CC but thats where taking Kroot comes in.

Shadowsun as a HQ nice choice you can't do another commander like her her suit and equipment is experimental. But hopefully come the next Codex this will change and commanders will have a greater choice fingers crossed. Over all you have the right idea.

swamp_slug
17-10-2009, 11:24
I like the theme you have there, with the exception of the Broadsides it screams scout cadre to me.

Tau are designed as a very mobile army, as such the Fire Warriors should be in Devilfish, and at their current cost I would advise no more than 2 Fire Warrior squads with additional Troops choices filled with Kroot.
By filling your Elite slots with Stealth suits you are missing out on a vital part of the Tau armoury - Plasma Rifles and Missile Pods, which are available on XV8 Crisis suits. I would recommend at least one team of Crisis suits with twin-linked missile pods to take out enemy transports and allow your broadsides to focus on heavier armour like Land Raiders and Leman Russ.
Also Gun Drone squadrons generally aren't worth it, Piranhas would be better as they are another special weapon platform and are useful for blocking enemy movement.

CushionRide
17-10-2009, 12:35
well i agree with some of swamps assessment, but i think your army is pretty sound, i do agree while having stealth suits is nice, they lack punch, and those fusion blasters are one hit wonders, i dont think i ever hit anything with them, crisis suits have alot more options with gear AND weaponry.

as for mobility, pshhhhh, from my experience playing tau, a mobile tau army is a dead tau army. most of my opponents in my area play an in your face strategy. so you want to be as far away from them as possible. for example one game i played was 2000 pts. this was before i had any kroot. i sat in my deployment area with 9 broadsides, about 6-9 crisis suits, and then firewarriors and drones, i was playing an armored company at the time. i actually won playing defensivly. while my meat shield pounded his front line, forcing him to advance. i dropped my drones and suits in behind his line taking the rear armor out on his tanks. and as for drone effectiveness, i killed more tanks that day with drones than i did with the suits :P drones rock

my true advise would be to make sure your army has as many options as possible. the only thing i dont like in the entire army is the hammerhead, with the 6foot range that railguns have you might as well not bother with that one lol take the broadsides ^_^

Brimstone
17-10-2009, 12:36
Unless you buy Forgeworld I wouldn't invest in Crisis suits too heavily at the moment.

mdauben
17-10-2009, 14:10
HQ: Shadowsun - or generic hq similarly equipped
The general consensus (which I share FWIW) is that Shadowsun is an interesting concept, who sucks out loud on the gaming table. I'd stick with one of the generic Shas'o or Shas'el commanders, instead.

Elites: XV15-25 stealth suits
Most really sucessful Tau lists depend heavily on Crisis Suits. The Stealth Suits are very cool looking, and definetly work well within their specific role, but they are of much more limited utility on the gaming table than Crisis Suits. The only current drawback of the Crisis Suits is that a new Tau codex is likely in the not too distant future, and if/when that happens resculpted Crisis Suits are quite likely.

Heavy Support: XV88s and Sniper Drones
Broadside suits are good, expecially with the right wargear set up. Sniper Drones, on the other hand, are another sucky unit that few people take in competative list.

Brady
17-10-2009, 14:18
ive always wanted to do farsight and loads of battlesuits!not for any game reasons but becuase it looks cool!

anyway ( back on track =] ) a tau list should either be a fully mobile army or a static gun line- with plenty of kroot cover

ive always believed that army lists focused on one thing entirely are a lot better than general all around. and hey its always worked for me.

megatrons2nd
17-10-2009, 16:10
Unless you buy Forgeworld I wouldn't invest in Crisis suits too heavily at the moment.

Are they the other half of the story Harry was talking about?

Kirill
17-10-2009, 17:05
Are they the other half of the story Harry was talking about?

I finks that's a bit of a leap there, captain.
I think it's more likely that brim knows they're comming around in the next couple of years, and that the plucked chicken models are going to be replaced.

Anyway, back on topic. Your army list doesn't look too shabby, but as the codex is at the moment you might want take a look at it before you really commit or buy any models or anything. I've always found that sometimes when i look at my codex other ideas i hadn't before considered pop out, and having a whole bunch of models that don't fit that new experimental style, sucks, but again, the list looks pretty well orientated, it would take some getting used too, play style wise, though.

Brimstone
17-10-2009, 17:07
I finks that's a bit of a leap there, captain.
I think it's more likely that brim knows they're comming around in the next couple of years, and that the plucked chicken models are going to be replaced

A couple of years, yes....:angel:

Kirill
17-10-2009, 19:28
A couple of years, yes....:angel:

Oh yes. A couple of year. I was right, as always.
Though, hypothetically speaking. if you were to say, start a tau army, or reinforce an old one, what would you stay away from as far as models go? I'm considering a tau one myself. Ahem

*cough* shamelessmilkingofrumorsource *cough*

The Red Scourge
17-10-2009, 22:03
I like the theme you have there, with the exception of the Broadsides it screams scout cadre to me.

Yup, that was the general idea - though the broadsides would be there for the scouts to scout ahead for ;)

CushionRide
17-10-2009, 22:17
ehhh ive seen the FW and used the normal ones :P most of the FW ones are HQ specific, even after the switch you will still see plenty of people using the old ones, i also really doubt that there gonna change to much, the biggest change will be wargear, maybe force orginazation.

megatrons2nd
18-10-2009, 03:07
Oh yes. A couple of year. I was right, as always.
Though, hypothetically speaking. if you were to say, start a tau army, or reinforce an old one, what would you stay away from as far as models go? I'm considering a tau one myself. Ahem

*cough* shamelessmilkingofrumorsource *cough*

Unfortunately that time encompasses the March window to which I was referring. So unless someone figures out what the other half of the story is I will hold onto the hope of Tau or Dark Eldar.