PDA

View Full Version : Blood Angels Captain.

m00ndust
18-10-2009, 06:13
As I'm typing this, I'm assembling a Blood Angels Captain with the Jump Pack option.

Basically, I want 3 variants of the captain.

- On foot
- with Jump Pack
- with Terminator Armor

so far the "on foot" captain is equipped with a Power Sword, Storm Bolter and Bolt Pistol.

I was wondering what I should equip on the one with a Jump Pack...

Please pick an option above and tell me why it's, in your opinion, the best way to play one.

Yes, I know Dante is a few more points... I've played him before and he's awesome. But sometimes I play against less experienced players and I do want them to have fun... so I use Generic HQ.

Captain Semper
18-10-2009, 06:52
I believe all combinations can be justified but I think the visual impact of a BA captain with a pair of LC's is huge! Death from above all the way...

shabbadoo
18-10-2009, 09:08
There are justifications for every combination you listed, but I just like flamers. If you attach the Captain to an Assault Squad with two flamers then give him a combi-flamer. If the Assault Squad has plasma pistols then give him a plasma pistol and power sword. Also give the Captain and the squad's Veteran Sergeant meltabombs for vehicles.

Giganthrax
18-10-2009, 14:38
None of those options are particularly impressive, but I'd say the dual lightning claw is best, on the whole.

yarrickson
18-10-2009, 15:25
Went for the combi-melta and powerfist. Great for Cracking open vehicles and dreads (and hurting big things)

superdupermatt
18-10-2009, 15:32
Went for the combi-melta and powerfist. Great for Cracking open vehicles and dreads (and hurting big things)

Seconded. I disdain power fists, but in 5th they are priceless. Combi melta helps too.

Zingbaby
18-10-2009, 15:56
If you are just looking for max efficiency - then skip the Captain all together. Go with Lemartes or a Chaplain which are going to get you much more for your buck.

That said, for a jumppack Captain I'd do the pair of Lightning Claws. He already has a better WS to hit most units.

SanguinaryDan
18-10-2009, 16:11
The LCs are really the only decent choice. So I suppose any combo that use Claws will work.

And while Power Fists and Thunder Hammers may look cool, anything that you need them to hurt is probably going to kill you long before I1. Nothing quite as useless as a single model that can be singled out and smashed with Instant Death before it even rolls any dice.

m00ndust
18-10-2009, 16:14
On a very low cost game he'd be with an Assault Squad (which has a Power Fist or Power Weapon).

On a higher cost game I'd add an Honor Guard (actually Dante's) so there'd be a Power Fist and Company Banner (actually Chapter banner but who cares).

wilsongrahams
18-10-2009, 18:15
Plasma Pistol and Power Sword, cos it looks good, is above average and doesn't look like a pile of rubbish like lightning claws do (Leave them to Terminators IMO).

101st Vostroyan
18-10-2009, 18:20
As far as Blood Angels go, I think Lemartes is a better option. With regards to your question, a captain with any options is acceptable. It is all a matter of personal preferance.

Jackmojo
18-10-2009, 18:26
On a very low cost game he'd be with an Assault Squad (which has a Power Fist or Power Weapon).

On a higher cost game I'd add an Honor Guard (actually Dante's) so there'd be a Power Fist and Company Banner (actually Chapter banner but who cares).

You do know that neither of these will prevent him from being squished preemptively by a dreadnought or power weapon equipped character, unless he is not in base to base contact with the enemy, right?

Just checking.

Jack

m00ndust
18-10-2009, 18:47
Yes, I'm quite aware ;)

I think I've made up my mind:

Combi-Flamer, Bolt Pistol, Power weapon and Meltabomb

The idea of having a meltabomb, in case I'm assaulting a vehicle, sounded like a good compromise for an assault oriented anti-infantry character.

I'll have the weakness of not being able to beat a monstruous creature with him but vehicles can, at least, get hit by a meltabomb...

Thanks for the votes (maybe the terminator one will use Lightning Claws)

Vesica
18-10-2009, 19:51
Dual Claws and Bolt Pistol.

Its what im going to use,

Urath
18-10-2009, 20:40
That depends; are you going for the look, for a more image based approach, or are you going for tactical efficieny?

Aye, my Flesh Tearer's Chapter Master Seth has a power-axe, lightning claw and bolt pistol. While my Captain has a chainaxe and storm-bolter. It's all about the look and feel, baby.

Koris
19-10-2009, 15:43
Rather pricey, but dual Lightning Claws and a plasma pistol is pretty nasty.
I run my captain with a pair of LC's.
At least I do till I paint up Dante...

Onisuzume
19-10-2009, 15:57
Storm Bolter, Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon...
36" effective range storm bolter? Yes please.

Petay1985
19-10-2009, 16:08
I would go for either a Power Sword & Bolt Pistol or Plasma Pistol. i really feel that space marine officers look 100% better with a sword!!
Especially the lordly Blood Angels, they oooze themes of nobility and gentlemanly nature, thus a sword really fits my interpretaion of this theme!!

tangomegadeath
19-10-2009, 18:29
Twin claws all the way!