PDA

View Full Version : What is the most expensive 40k army money wise?

Hattori Hanzo
18-10-2009, 06:21
I was just wondering what you thought the most expensive 1750pt army was monEy wise?? I'm not talking about expensive paint jobs or conversions. I'm asking about normal gw and fw armies?

HsojVvad
18-10-2009, 06:32
Oh, I thought mini's when I read your topic. I was going to say the FW Titan. That is what, $600 Canadian if I am not mistaken.

Army wise, sorry I don't know. Maybe a WH or DH army since most of their models are in metal.

CrownAxe
18-10-2009, 06:34
grey knights or witch hunters, since they're basically are pure pewter

m00ndust
18-10-2009, 06:35
any Swarm Army will cost ya... and GW managed to reduce that cost with the last 2 starter packs...

Battle for Macragge had Tyranids (8 Gaunts, 6 Stealers, 8 Spore Mines)
Assault on Black Reach has Orks (10 Boys, 3 Deffkoptas, 5 Nobs, 1 Warboss)

So it's pretty easy to buy those starter packs, resell the marines and get yourself a green tide.

Tyranids tho, can't win with only Gaunts... even if you swarm... you need bigger ones.

Carnifex and Tyrant are rather expensive... and Most 40mm based models are in metal (which means "more expensive than plastic").

Being mostly low cost (game points) you'd either have to put lots of upgrades or buy LOTS of minis to make yourself a 1750 pts + game.

I currently can field my whole army (without upgrade) for about 1250 pts... with Upgrades (not too many points wasted) I could get to 2000 but I usually lose those games as I'm mostly dead by turn 4.

a Good swarm army requires lots of models and, that's expensive.

Eldoriath
18-10-2009, 06:37
Steel legion or vostroyan guard perhaps, since they are all metal, cheap and needed in high numbers. Otherwise DKoK or Elysian drop troops from forgeworld could be up at most expensive easily for the same reason as above.

bdo
18-10-2009, 06:38
i agree with eldoriath here, death korps of krieg or elysian drop troops are the most expensive ones. imperial guard is considered an expensive army already, add the forgeworld special bling bling prize and the cost shoots through the roof.

Hicks
18-10-2009, 06:57
My Steel Legion was pretty costly, but I got started via a trade that was hugely in my favor. Saim Hann is proving to be expensive as hell too. Eldar bikes and vehicles aren't cheap and you need a whole lot of them to even reach 1000pts. This is way more expensive to do than a comparable SM bike army.

Prospero
18-10-2009, 07:01
Sisters of Battle are hard on the wallet, watching my cousin field 3,000 points of them made me realize how fortunate I was in comparison.

Lothlanathorian
18-10-2009, 07:16
Carnifex and Tyrant are rather expensive... and Most 40mm based models are in metal (which means "more expensive than plastic").

Most Tyranid models on 40mm bases or larger are plastic. (actually, I think it would be more accurate to say 'most Tyranid MC anyone uses are plastic). This, however, does not make them any cheaper.

grey knights or witch hunters, since they're basically are pure pewter

I thought they were tin...?

Creeping Dementia
18-10-2009, 07:25
I'd have to say Witchhunters, as far as actual Codex armies go. DH are expensive too, but I easily field 2-3 times as many models in my SoB list as you'll see in a DH army. Seraphim are some of the most expensive models I've seen too, especially considering they aren't that many points. I sold off my Nids and threw down enough cash for another whole regular army, just to get 2000pts of Sisters. It's nuts, and I'll be buying a bunch more if they eventually get plastics:cries:.

Hicks
18-10-2009, 07:29
I'd have to say Witchhunters, as far as actual Codex armies go. DH are expensive too, but I easily field 2-3 times as many models in my SoB list as you'll see in a DH army.

Imagine metal guards now. It doesn't help that at one point they were all OOP. Also when GW decided to clear them from their catalogue at the same time they scrapped bitzorder you basically had to buy everything you were missing in a rush.

Vaktathi
18-10-2009, 07:35
Imperial Guard.

There's just so much stuff you need to buy to get to that point that its ridiculous. DH/WH can be expensive since everything is metal, but you don't need the sheer volume of models that IG do. For a basic DH troops squad, its maybe $45 for a 300pt unit. For a basic IG troops squad, it's $69 for a barebones IG platoon, and if you want heavy weapons, it's $104 for something that's less than 200pts, and that's just with plastic Cadians. With an Elysian or Death Korps of Krieg army, you'd basically triple your costs.

starlight
18-10-2009, 08:10
I thought they were tin...?

That's what pewter is made of... :p

And any FW IG army (DKoK, Elysians, etc) takes the cake...

After that it's GW IG, then Orks, then likely SoB...

LonelyPath
18-10-2009, 12:46
I would have to say Witch Hunters, particularly the Sisters of Battle aspects of the list. Once you build up a mech 1750 army you've spent around 300. Even Daemonhunters are cheaper than that. If you go into FW stuff then Kreig and the like will become more expensive.

But, with sisters a popular choice are squads with meltagun, heavy flamers, a VSS and a rhino, adding that lot up will cost you nearly 53 at GWs own prices and that's just 1 troop choice... Granted you get a couple of spare models (storm bolter and flamer), but they're not in much demand so even if you can sell them on you won't get mouch of a return.

Murphy's law
18-10-2009, 12:53
Witchhunters is expensive, playing SOB will cost you alot of money, but if you go for a non sisters witchhunters army with adeptus arbites as troops, you're doomed.

kaimarion
18-10-2009, 13:10
Most Tyranid models on 40mm bases or larger are plastic. (actually, I think it would be more accurate to say 'most Tyranid MC anyone uses are plastic). This, however, does not make them any cheaper.

The carnifex is the only large tyranid plastic kit(until january), the majority of nid models on 40mm bases are metal (biovore, lictor, zoanthrope, ravener, broodlord and tyrant guard).

Death korps of kreig are probably the most expensive army to play money wise seeing as the models are made by Forge World.

grissom2006
18-10-2009, 13:19
Imperial Guard or Tyranids easily and going of the new Nid Dex they amount they can take on Guard and beat them for numbers.

Mannimarco
18-10-2009, 13:24
im thinking vraskian renegades:

first you gotta buy 1 pack of them to get the torsos, then another pack to get all your autogun army then a box of cadians/catachans to get the legs (although you could just use cadian/catachan/chaos marauder kits to get arms)

its the 2 right at the bottom

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/CHAOS_RENEGADES.html

Tymell
18-10-2009, 13:24
Surprised no one's mentioned Eldar. They're not -the- most expensive, but they've still got a lot of metal models among their forces.

Other than them, as others have said, some Guard forces and the hunters armies.

slayerofmen
18-10-2009, 13:27
im gonna put my hand up and say all wraithlord/ wraithguard lyanden army 350 dollars for ten dudes, hmmm 700 for two squads, 1050 for three (the wraithguard are 35 aus)

then you HAVE to get warlocks and farseer so the cheapest is through the mini box for 55 dollars (AUS) then what three wraithlords 195aus and thats for a 1750pts army.....

1300 dollars for 38 models

EDIT:

my apologies the wraithguard are 25 dollars each aus

so that's 750 for three squads

55 for mini box

195 for wraithlords ==== 1000

Fraser Green
18-10-2009, 14:36
im gonna put my hand up and say all wraithlord/ wraithguard lyanden army 350 dollars for ten dudes, hmmm 700 for two squads, 1050 for three (the wraithguard are 35 aus)

then you HAVE to get warlocks and farseer so the cheapest is through the mini box for 55 dollars (AUS) then what three wraithlords 195aus and thats for a 1750pts army.....

1300 dollars for 38 models

EDIT:

my apologies the wraithguard are 25 dollars each aus

so that's 750 for three squads

55 for mini box

195 for wraithlords ==== 1000

Pretty much this. I've always loved the idea of fielding an Iyaden army, however buying thirty odd models at 8 each plus Warlocks and Wraithlords has put me off. I spent a lot of money on my Mech Eldar, but I got a lot more models for that than I would have if I had gone Iyaden. Although perhaps not as cool, and I semi-regret it :)

brawnyman1989
18-10-2009, 14:51
Buying my SoBs makes me cry, even though the models are fantastic. But yes, I think out of the codex armies, the Sisters are the most expensive, especially since you need to order the heavy weapons...

Bunnahabhain
18-10-2009, 15:12
FW infantry heavy guard.

You're looking at about $1 (US) = 1pt.
If you go heavy on FW vehicles, then you get to down to about 2 pts a dollar

And black reach gets you ~1100pts for 50 dollars....

qwertywraith
18-10-2009, 16:08
It depends on your list.

Obviously FW guard armies are super expensive, but so are rhino heavy marines. A marine or chaos marine army can easily field 10 rhinos, and they are only 1/5th the cost of the army. It get's worse with mechanised Sisters. Drop-pod marines are also pricey. Obliterators cost a lot, as do thunderwolf riders (even if there is only 1 model).

Try fielding an army of Noise Marines. That will cost you.

Iyanden Eldar - stupidly expensive.

Imperius
18-10-2009, 16:45
I've seen a platoon style mounted Elysian army.
They were in chimeras, not completely fluffy.

But the entire 1750 points was devoted to 1 HQ and 6 Troop choices.

meanmachine
18-10-2009, 17:08
imperial guard for definite

sisters, deamon hunters and daemon are expensive, but you dont require as many models as guard

it would cost you 120 GBP to get 500 points of guardsmen, you have only filled a 3rd of you army

for that price you can practically get a whole 1500 point marine army,

i started guard but gave up after i saw how much money it would cost

Imperius
18-10-2009, 19:44
HAH, I've spent thousands CAD on my Imperial Guard. They are still not at the level I want them to be at!

SirSnipes
18-10-2009, 20:18
A full grey knights army

starlight
18-10-2009, 21:13
Actually mine wasn't that expensive...:p FW IG ($1/pt) still trumps everything else... :(

Ravenheart
18-10-2009, 21:15
All Infatry Death Korps of Krieg are a very strong contender for that one.

Grigori
18-10-2009, 21:23
I own a pure Iyanden army and yes it hurt! (Coz i bought it before the plastic Wraithlords came out so those are metal too) It will hurt even more when GW finally does plastic ones!!

S_A_T_S
18-10-2009, 21:50
If you're talking a Codex army, unthemed, it's got to be Sisters of Battle (cos of all the metal). Themed and Citadel only, it's between Iyanden (prob them) or Vostroyan IG. But in the end there is only one contender for this 'prize' - FW IG with custom/resin weapons and arms (see Vraksian rebels).

darker4308
18-10-2009, 22:06
Sisters of Battle. That was what I heard everyone was trying to get their hands on when a "your choice" 4k army was offered as a prize.

If your going with forgeworld I really won't be able to tell you.

Actually, a properly converted "from cannis" thunderwolf force might also be quite pricy.

Dexter099
18-10-2009, 23:23
Witch hunters are without a doubt the most expensive.

Lothlanathorian
18-10-2009, 23:31
The carnifex is the only large tyranid plastic kit(until january), the majority of nid models on 40mm bases are metal (biovore, lictor, zoanthrope, ravener, broodlord and tyrant guard).

Death korps of kreig are probably the most expensive army to play money wise seeing as the models are made by Forge World.

I don't think I realized the Broodlord was on a larger base and I totally forgot about Tyrant Guard lol. And the Hive Tyrant doesn't count as a large Tyranid Plastic Kit? Or is the current one a hybrid kit? I always thought it was all plastic?

Eidre
19-10-2009, 00:27
Surprised no one has brought up eldar jetbikes; 22 point model, US$15 each. That's $0.68 per point, not as bad as FW, but pretty high for anything by Citadel. Even a $41.25 squad of battle sisters (minimum 124 points) is only $0.33 per point.

Grimbad
19-10-2009, 00:52
Valhallan conscript horde, I'd say. Six infantry platoons, with the core 25 guardsmen and 80 conscripts, and maximum mortar squads, with AT guns in the guard squads. Two Lord Commisars in HQ, a commissar in every infantry squad. All of it is metal infantry models. Maybe put in some allied Inquisition metal infantry for elites.

lowrider
19-10-2009, 01:05
IG are very expensive at that points value, as every 250 points is going to need at least 2 tanks or a few squads of infantry and neither of those are cheap. your probably looking at about 100 per 250 points.

what about necrons? all their stuff is metal except monoliths and troops so i would imagine that army can get quite expensive to field at higher points values.

Bunnahabhain
19-10-2009, 01:38
Depending on the mood of Ebay, there might be one army to top FW IG.

OOP GW Imperial Guard metal infantry. They haven't made Praetorians available, and they can go for silly prices...

Blitz001
19-10-2009, 02:23
id have to go with IG seeing how i just droped 105$ on heavy weapon squads

LonelyPath
19-10-2009, 02:34
I did a little adding up based on my usual 1750 DH army and that would set you back around 230 with the current prices. Still cheaper than SoB, lol.

Juggalo
19-10-2009, 04:53
At the moment, I would say Imperial Guard, since the most powerful builds require so many damn vehicles. It gets even worse if you want to use DKoK models for your guardsmen.

All-metal armies like Sisters or DH can get pretty bad, too.

CushionRide
19-10-2009, 05:24
wow i know ive seen this topic before,

statisticly any imp guard platoon force will be infinitely more expensive than any other army

genestealer_baldric
19-10-2009, 08:19
current nid flying circuis

3 x 32 gargoyles = 480
1 x Flying tyrant FW= 54
60 packs of flying rippers= 1020

total 1554

Necronlord3
19-10-2009, 08:37
IG are very expensive at that points value, as every 250 points is going to need at least 2 tanks or a few squads of infantry and neither of those are cheap. your probably looking at about 100 per 250 points.

what about necrons? all their stuff is metal except monoliths and troops so i would imagine that army can get quite expensive to field at higher points values.

Actually our's is one of the cheapest armies to field because of our lack of options and available number of units. You buy 1 squad of Warriors and you are all set. You don't have to worry about adding the heavy weapon trooper, or what load out to give your Sergent. Factor in using 300+ points of C'Tan(a good option in 5th) and you've just shaved a good chunk off of the cost of your army.

We need a math geek to run the numbers on each army and come up with the average dollar amount per point for each army. That will tell you which army is the most expensive.

lowrider
19-10-2009, 10:46
yeah good point i dont have acess to the necron codex right now so i dont know the points values of units but just figured most of the army is metal so it could be abit expensive, but your right there are so few options (unlike an army like guard where you have to buy a couple of boxsets just to field one squad) it really would be quite cheap to build :)