PDA

View Full Version : Adeptus Mechanicus Miniatures??

blindingdark
18-10-2009, 17:51
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Limited-Edition-Set-Skulz-Adeptus-Mechanicus-Rare-OOP_W0QQitemZ380165180427QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Toy s_Wargames_RL?hash=item58839c4c0b

Ive never seen them before ? what are your thouhts on the price, they do look quite nice.

Mannimarco
18-10-2009, 18:28
those ones are pretty rare, they do turn up from time to time but are never cheap

Red Beard
18-10-2009, 18:35

Back on topic. I personally have never seen these models and would love to have them. I would not pay a tone of cash for them but now that you have brought them to my attention I will occasionally do a search for them.

blindingdark
18-10-2009, 18:40
Back on topic. I personally have never seen these models and would love to have them. I would not pay a tone of cash for them but now that you have brought them to my attention I will occasionally do a search for them.

Thats where im coming from.;)

I have no wish to spend that amount of money, its just that ive never seen them before, and they are quite nice.
I often trawl through ebay for limited eds or GD mini's I dont have, and usually find the same things.

This one has never shown up before, and i have no recollection of ever seeing them.

t-tauri
18-10-2009, 18:46
They're the Skulz programme Adeptus Mechanicus (http://www.solegends.com/citle/citle2000/Skulz/skulzadeptus/skulzadeptus.htm).

They were produced at the tail end of second edition for an AM army list which never came out. Some of the minis were given away in the US to those who collected 100 skulz in the sticker collection programme.

blindingdark
18-10-2009, 19:03
Thanks t-tauri.

they are much better pictures of the miniatures, although the paint scheme burns my eyes.

so is 140 bucks the going rate for something quite this rare, or massively overpriced. Im going with the latter now ive seen better pics

t-tauri
18-10-2009, 19:10
Like most of the " buy it now" on rare minis on ebay it's somewhat overpriced. The trick is finding a set up for auction and then beating one of the "buy it now" sellers who will win it and then put it in stock for another buy it now sale. Sometimes the buy it now is the only game in town.

I've not seen one for ordinary auction sale for a few months. For nine very low availability figures then it's about 15 a time which isn't that far out of the ballpark if you look at what much more common stuff like the Games Day figures go for on ebay......

Erazmus_M_Wattle
18-10-2009, 19:21
I have a few from that set. Not the complete set mind you. They were only given in the skulls in the US, as T-Tauri quite rightly says. I am not even sure if they were ever in wide production. I do think 139.99 is a silly price. I bet someone will buy them nonetheless.

Spacker
18-10-2009, 19:28
Wow, those figs are pricey. You could pick a set up a year ago around the 100 mark. Glad I picked mine up 2 years ago for less than 50 :)

Mannimarco
18-10-2009, 19:29
and the moral of the story is buy them now, wait a year then sell them

t-tauri
18-10-2009, 19:41
I am not even sure if they were ever in wide production.

They were only ever available through skulz and for a very short period GW Mail Order in the UK sold them over the phone as pre-releases when they'd sell off test casts of forthcoming releases. These, of course, were never actually released making them pretty rare. They also sold some other servitors (http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Adeptus_Mechanicus_-_Unreleased) at the same time which were never released officially. The electro priest was also available for a short time on the UK phones. The other stuff only escaped in the hands of those very tightly connected to GW.

Lion El Jason
18-10-2009, 21:31
I have the tech adept guy, he was on sale at a games day (Back when GDs used to be worth going to) but was never released other than skullz.

Andy Chambers and Jez Goodwin both really wanted to do a Ad Mech codex. Dunno what happened to it.

EDIT: Also the little guy holding the book should be on the big guy with the staffs base, the chain attaches the two together.

Erazmus_M_Wattle
18-10-2009, 21:33
Well, yeah. That's how I got mine.

don_mondo
19-10-2009, 15:15
They're the Skulz programme Adeptus Mechanicus (http://www.solegends.com/citle/citle2000/Skulz/skulzadeptus/skulzadeptus.htm).

They were produced at the tail end of second edition for an AM army list which never came out. Some of the minis were given away in the US to those who collected 100 skulz in the sticker collection programme.

They were also given away as prizes at the GT pub quiz that year. Our team won four sets.......

Tanner MIrabel
19-10-2009, 16:08
Those are pretty cool. Rather ridiculous prices though, when you can make something just as good using:

IG Enginseers
Techmarine Servitors
Old SM Servitors
Inquisition Servitors
Old SM Techmarines

Spacker
19-10-2009, 16:12
Except that using off the shelf miniatures isn't the same as using rare miniatures :p

I've got plenty of IG techpriest enginseers and SM techmarines (both current and old, including the Iron Father figure), and the FW techpriest and various servitor figures, but having the Skulz set helps fill out the fledgling AdMech army with a bit more variety. I'm looking forward to FW releasing a wider range of AdMech figures once they have an IA book to go with them.

OLIVERASO
19-10-2009, 16:17
They were only ever available through skulz and for a very short period GW Mail Order in the UK sold them over the phone as pre-releases when they'd sell off test casts of forthcoming releases. These, of course, were never actually released making them pretty rare. They also sold some other servitors (http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Adeptus_Mechanicus_-_Unreleased) at the same time which were never released officially. The electro priest was also available for a short time on the UK phones. The other stuff only escaped in the hands of those very tightly connected to GW.

The AM vehicle has been also offer with Mail Order.

blindingdark
19-10-2009, 18:22
Andy Chambers and Jez Goodwin both really wanted to do a Ad Mech codex. Dunno what happened to it.

That would be superb. Was there not some units listed in the leaflet that came with second ed ? or am I thinking about the arbites:confused:

Our team won four sets.......

Any going ? PM me.

Except that using off the shelf miniatures isn't the same as using rare miniatures

I am a sucker for OOP's and rare's for this reason. Im far from the greatest painter in the world, so it certainly does help to have peices others have never seen. It adds a certain quality to a force built containing miniatures that people want to actually look at, rather than just the paint job. We have a version of this with the sheer volume of converting these days, but its nowhere near the same. When I look at a conversion, I see the peices, not the miniature, I cant help it. If I recognise a peace that has been used in its construction, if breaks the illusion of the miniature. Its is kinda fun though, trying on a model thats been done really well.

The AM vehicle has been also offer with Mail Order.

What vehicle is this ?

Whitehorn
19-10-2009, 18:24
I get the impression the sculptor was watching Centurions.

http://www.jedisparadise.co.uk/childrenstv/Centurions/Centurions8.jpg

don_mondo
19-10-2009, 19:08

I remember when Tim H (He did the Citadel Journal Genestealer Cult Chapter Approved codex) was asked to stop working on the AdMech codex he was doing, as GW was considering doing it.

precinctomega
19-10-2009, 20:31
You wouldn't buy these minis to do an AdMech army, as there are better, more suitable minis in the GW and FW ranges to use instead. Its value lies entirely in the fact that it's a rare collectible and should be kept in as close to mint condition as possible to retain its value.

R.

Doppleskanger
19-10-2009, 20:32
Yeah those minis are nice, if of their time. Probably less of their time than some others if you know what I mean.

There was an experimental Ad Mech codex that was made available on the net. Something to do with WD america I think. Had some cool stuff including the Adamantine Giant and updated Robot Maniples. Can't remember the name of the guy who wrote it...

PM me if you want a copy, I think I still have it on my old lap top

Alessander
20-10-2009, 03:30
They were technically the most expensive Games Workshop minis to buy new. You got 1 skulls point for every ($25?) you spent on GW Direct Mail order, and the Ad-Mech collection cost 100 skullz points. So it was a $2,500 squad.

Just like Veteran Sergeant Centurius (a Legion of the Damned special Character that was a limited edition giveway at the opening of GW's 100th store in the mid 90s) and the various epic Ordinatus vehicles, the Ad Mech models are often re-casts (ie piracies). Be careful when buying on ebay.

blindingdark
20-10-2009, 18:13
You are correct, never seen a squad at that price, but in a few years maybe.........;)

How can i tell if they are recasts? ive never seen one to my knowledge, but on e-bay its gonna be impossible to tell.

From Shadows
20-10-2009, 18:21
They are very nice models. I bought a set of ebay USA 2 yrs ago for 145.00 US. Plus it came with a couple FW Adeptus Mechanicus symbols. They are pretty rare, but do show up every now and then. I guess it depends on how much you want them and are willing to spend. Good Luck.