PDA

View Full Version : Running Space Marines?

Sir Phobos
19-10-2009, 01:29
After reading some of the HH and Ultramarines books i seems that SM are always running around shooting things. All of the SM models except for the assualt marines are standing around. Has anyone ever tried to bits order the running legs and put them on normal marines? If so does anyone have an examples?

Ph4lanx
19-10-2009, 01:31
I've done it all over my army. No photos unfortunately, but the parts are completely interchangeable. My army is a drop-pod army, and as such, dynamic posing is a must if I want to pull of the feeling of deploying mid-battle :)

razcalking
19-10-2009, 01:44
I mix in assault legs on a few of my Grey Hunter squads.

I figure most units are running around in the heat of battle, Marines luckily have the bitz to show it (unlike my Steel Legion or Orks).

_Pĸ ĿōĐ_
19-10-2009, 02:16
Thats exactly what im doing. I bought some running legs of ebay (along with those awesome shoulder pads off of their site) and thats how i am doing up my marines. If you do this though you should probably try some simple conversions on the legs so that the models positions aren't repeated over and over again.

Cheers

Wicksy
19-10-2009, 11:53
Yeah, i have plans to do that aswell. I love that idea of more dynamic poses. However, the last set of 5 assault marine legs went for 10.60 on ebay not long ago......Just that for legs seems silly to me.

JHZ
19-10-2009, 12:48
Khorne Berzerkers also have running legs. Though they tend to look more like tripping than running, but it's just a matter of posing them right. I'd put them a little leaning back, so that the foot on the ground just has its heel touching dirt. Makes it much more realistic looking.

Gray Hunter
22-10-2009, 20:22
I used Khorne Bezerker running legs in my 13th Company army back in the day. They looked awesome.

Seriously considering some running Assault Marine legs for my Blood Claws in my current SW army.

grissom2006
22-10-2009, 22:06
I intermix the legs makes them far more interesting to look at.

The Orange
22-10-2009, 23:23
I want to do it when I make a Marnie force too. The running legs IMO just look so much better then the static wide stance legs. The sad thing is that the assault marines used to have different sprues so you could buy the main torso separately. Wish I grabbed some from the now extinct bitz order back then :(.

Freakiq
22-10-2009, 23:32
When I make combat squads I sometimes make it so that the Sergeant, Flamer and three other marines are running while the heavy weapon with his ablative wounds have stationary or even kneeling poses.

Clang
23-10-2009, 01:59
Some of the running legs can look a bit goofy if you don't choose arms to properly match the pose, especially if the marine is holding a two-handed weapon. But the biggest thing against 'one foot on the ground' legs is that you usually end up with a flimsy join to the base - a two-foot join is so much sturdier.

JHZ
23-10-2009, 02:20
Some of the running legs can look a bit goofy if you don't choose arms to properly match the pose, especially if the marine is holding a two-handed weapon. But the biggest thing against 'one foot on the ground' legs is that you usually end up with a flimsy join to the base - a two-foot join is so much sturdier.
That's why the good Lord invented pinning. I have models that don't even have a foot on the ground, just their heel as they're just plating their foot down as they run, or their toes, as the foot is just departing mother earth to propel the body forwards.

I think that when posing models, it's a good thing to take a moment to think about it. Picture the pose in your head, how it would work in real life. If the model is holding something heavy, like a heavy weapon, he won't be leaning forwards as he aims it, as it's way too heavy for that. And even if it wasn't (servos carrying the weight and all), it would look a little off, dangling a big piece like it was nothing.

When running, picture the motion of the limbs and things like if he's running forwards or maybe he's changing the direction a little as he runs to avoid an obstacle, so he could be leaning a little to the side. Is he carrying like a melta-bomb, and if so, is he tossing it? How would he be tossing it? And so on.

Merely playing with anatomy gives static poses much needed sense of motion and dynamic feel. Even normal models can be made to look very fluid without any repositioning of limbs and GS. Just don't put them together, think about all that you can do. On Marines, the thole torso moves around. Don't just put it on. If he's tossing a grenade, turn his torso to the side and tilt it back, like he's really priming for the throw. Don't just slap an assault cannon on a terminator, but give him legs that brace him for the recoil and turn him accordingly, so that it looks like he's mowing down the enemy, or just about to. Sergeant with running legs can turn his torso, lift his open palmed power fist and shout over his shoulder for the squad to follow him into glory ("Come on, you apes, you wanna live forever!").

Stuff like that. All from GW bits without any king-fu modelling skills.