PDA

View Full Version : Are any 60mm Bases Tournament Legal?

Hattori Hanzo
19-10-2009, 02:34
I just bought some econo bases from Galeforce 9, which are made from what appears to be wood. I was just wondering, as long as the base measures 60mm does it matter for tournaments what their made of? Or does it have to be official plastic bases?

mdauben
19-10-2009, 02:37
You probably need to discuss that with the individual tournament organizers. It shouldn't make a difference, but some of those guys can be really anal about the most trivial of things.

Personally, considering the overall cost of the typical 40K army, I would not take the chance just to save a few cents on bases.

Zingbaby
19-10-2009, 03:37
It should never matter what it's made of... and as for size, you can always go bigger. Smaller is a different story however.

Eldoriath
19-10-2009, 04:00
No, that was 4th ed. Now you have to ask to go for bigger, and are never allowed to go for smaller.

Grimbad
19-10-2009, 05:39
As long as it's the size and shape of a GW 60mm base, there shouldn't be a problem with anyone but those who really need to take a break from this hobby. The weight and density of your base has no effect in-game, and anyone who would penalize you from having the same base made of different material is out of their mind.

LonelyPath
19-10-2009, 11:29
As Zingbaby and Eldoriath said, you can go bigger, just not smaller. But I've heard tales of people having problems from Tourny organisers about non-GW materials in their armies, even bases, so make sure it's allowed by the organisers before you turn up (or buy your ticket for that matter). Another option is to magnetize your minis to their bases, then you can switch between GWs official bases and those form other companies freely depending on whether you're playing in tournies or not.

Metaphorazine
19-10-2009, 11:31
GW tournies could ban it as you're getting third party in your GW.

Standard answer is check with the tourny organiser, as it's their call. You can't say "But teh intar-webs told me it was mmmkay!" Unless you flip the mini over though, will they even know?

AndrewGPaul
19-10-2009, 13:50
As long as it's the size and shape of a GW 60mm base...

There's your problem - GW's "60mm bases" aren't 60mm in diameter; they're 65mm diameter (well, the ones for Dreadnoughts and Imperial Guard weapons teams and the like; the Titan base and the large flying base are 60mm).

slayerofmen
19-10-2009, 14:06
There's your problem - GW's "60mm bases" aren't 60mm in diameter; they're 65mm diameter (well, the ones for Dreadnoughts and Imperial Guard weapons teams and the like; the Titan base and the large flying base are 60mm).

the thing is as far as I'm aware the GW bases are measured on top side surface area excluding the lip/side so they (should) be right unless measured from the bottom, so a 60mm topside is 60mm a 60mm measured from the bottom is 65mm

AndrewGPaul
19-10-2009, 14:58
No, only the large round base is measured like this. All the other bases are referred to by the overall dimensions, not the dimensions of the top surface. If that's GW's excuse it's acheap excuse to cover up a cock-up.

AFnord
19-10-2009, 16:54
As Zingbaby and Eldoriath said, you can go bigger, just not smaller
No, you can not. Check the rulebook, page 3.

twistinthunder
19-10-2009, 17:01
yeah, if you could go bigger they wouldn't have put a notice in canis wolfbornes rules.