PDA

View Full Version : How would you create a playable all-mounted Empire army?

Jind_Singh
19-10-2009, 03:16
For as long as I can remember I've always wanted to play an all monted Empire army (Oh why doesnt Games Workshop make the war wagon anymore:()
I'm toying with an all mounted list consisting of

Grandmaster
Captin BSB
Warrior Priest
Warrior Priest

Knights of all flavours
4 special choices - 2 Outriders, 2 Pistolliers

Steam Tank for rare

But what would be the hurdles/obstacles I'd face with all mounted Empire lists? Has anyone tired a mounted list - would I have to consider trading the grandmaster for an Arch Lector on the dreaded War Alter to make it competive?

I'd really appreciate any advice/tips you could give me, many thanks

Seabo
19-10-2009, 03:52
Ahh the War Wagon :D that was an awesome model.
I've often thought about an all mounted Empie army. Theming it crusade style with tons of priests. Only drawback, and its a major one, is lack of magic def...with warhammer fantasy seeming to be on the way to becoming Magicthebleepoutofyouhammer, nice fluffy lists like this just aren't that viable :(
Meh I still play just for fun. Powergamers and flavor of the month players bore me. Which is why I play BoCs and workin on Gobbos :D
Meh, I still like priests. Great fluff stuff. Still could be ok I guess with inclusions of all the MR items you can get. Outriders for the long range reach out and touch are good.
Stank is just evil no matter how you stack it....love it lol.

scarletsquig
19-10-2009, 08:20
You're in luck, all-mounted is a very viable build for Empire.

I'd recommend small units of 5 knights for core (about 4 of them), and for special, a big unit or 2 of inner circle knights .. make sure that the inner circle knights don't leave home without either a templar grand master or a warrior priest (or both) in the unit, they need hatred before they can really start butchering things like chaos warriors.

Laurels of victory is a great magic item for the templar grand master, have him target the rank and file tor eally rack up the CR. With high WS strength and re-rolls from the warrior priests hatred he can easily rack up 6 to 8 points of CR all by himself. Either holy relic, dawn armour or sword of power are good additional items to give him.

Give either banner of arcane warding or war banner to your knight blocks, daemonslayer banner is bad, steel standard is okay but the other 2 are better.

Pistoliers/ outriders are also good, but I wouldn't take 4 units of them. They die too easy.

Also, a cannon might be fine if you model it limbered up with horses.. traditionally cavalry armies weren't just all knights, they also packed some heat, too.

As for rare choices, the other option is bronzino's galloper gun if you aren't going for 2 steam tanks.

Magic defense comes from:

- Your 2 warrior priests
- Banner of arcane warding on your juiciest target (generally the grand master's unit)
- Scroll caddy (there's a spare character slot for one).
- Sigil of sigmar on the warrior priest in your other big knight block if you're worried about it.

Hope that helps. :)

Jind_Singh
19-10-2009, 10:00
I was thinking Grand Master with 3 warrior priests (for magic defence AND hatred!)
Not sure how to build my 2 fast cav kits, I already built 1 pistollier unit, so 1 more pistollier and 1 outrider? OR 2 Outrider with 1 Pistollier?
1 Inner Circle Knights of the White Wolf - str 5 and I can take a charge as well as give it - with rest being reg. Knights - 5 strong with only musicians.
Steam Tank might make it ONLY if points allow - otherwise I wont be too sad to see it left behind - though I admit I'm in love with the model!

Lord Anathir
19-10-2009, 12:02
mounted is probably the most viable build for empire. in an ultra competitive scene, take 3 or 4 cannons and 2 tanks, popemobile, knights for core, and maybe some skirmishing bowmen for fast cav. Whatever space you have left into mages or knights. Priests in knight units for hatred are solid.

Onisuzume
19-10-2009, 14:36
Grand Master of the White Wolf
Seneschal of the White Wolf
Seneschal of the White Wolf
Wolf-Priest of Ulric Battle Standard Bearer

Inner Circle Knights of the White Wolf
Knights of the White Wolf
Knights of the White Wolf
Knights of the White Wolf or if you want some infantry: Inner Circle Teutogen Guard.

No special or rare choices at all. Just Lords/Heroes and Core.

Now, if only GW would release some good knightly order models for the Empire...
22 year old horses just aren't going to be worth it anymore, they've got only a few more years left to live anyway.

w3rm
19-10-2009, 21:20
See my all mounted has a much different approach

Lvl 4 on a Warhorse

Lvl 2 On a Warhorse

Warrior Priest On Warhorse

Warrior Priest on a Warhorse

5 Knight

5 Knights

5 Knights

5 Knights

5 Outriders

5 Outriders

11 Inner Circle Knight w/ FC

11 Inner Circle Knights with FC

Magicy and shoot and combaty! What a wonderful world!

yarrickson
19-10-2009, 23:17
Is the cult of ulric lists still game-legal? They make a great all-mounted army. They have access to some really cool magic items. Plus Ulric is way better than sigmar. Heh.

Used to play with an all mounted cav white wolf army. Stopped when they changed the rules for cavalry hammers.

On a suggestion-type note I'd consider at least one wizard and that while a grand master is the obvious choice for an army of knights that An Arch-Lector (Or Ar-Ulric if you prefer) is pretty beasting.

w3rm
20-10-2009, 01:30
Plus Ulric is way better than sigmar. Heh..

Someone's gonna get Smiiiiiiited....;)

Jind_Singh
20-10-2009, 02:46
See my all mounted has a much different approach

Lvl 4 on a Warhorse
Lvl 2 On a Warhorse
5 Knight
5 Knights
5 Knights
5 Knights
5 Outriders
5 Outriders
Magicy and shoot and combaty! What a wonderful world!

Interesting concept for a mounted list - TONS of Knights 52 in total - but how do you deal with the dreaded fanatics? Shot them with outriders in hope of panicing them?
and how about monstors - send in the innercircle?
Are your units of 5 knights basic bare bones with no command?
Sorry for all the questions, but it would be good to hear from someone whose had combat experiance with mounted armies

WusteGeist
20-10-2009, 03:20
I am sorry but I see w3rm list as a what I call a "free win" in the GT circut. It has no real teeth, your shooting bits I will just hammer with my shooting first, I will lead your knights by the nose with my redircters and in the end crush you one unit at a time. Sorry if I sound harsh, but the list has no teeth sorry.

Skyth
20-10-2009, 03:54
Laurels of victory is a great magic item for the templar grand master, have him target the rank and file tor eally rack up the CR. With high WS strength and re-rolls from the warrior priests hatred

Other characters aren't given hatred by warrior priests.

Jind_Singh
21-10-2009, 06:00
I am sorry but I see w3rm list as a what I call a "free win" in the GT circut. It has no real teeth, your shooting bits I will just hammer with my shooting first, I will lead your knights by the nose with my redircters and in the end crush you one unit at a time. Sorry if I sound harsh, but the list has no teeth sorry.

The nice thing about our gaming circle is that we do have some cheese players but no one is actually classed as WAAC.
First and always foremost is theme in an army for me, then it's about making that concept as playable as possible.
If it's for the teeth and win I can always fall back on my daemons, but trust me I have enough of winning games without thought & effort.
For me, now, it's all about Orcs & Goblins, Ogre Kingdoms, and Empire.
I don't want to win all my games, I want to take what I got and take it to the highest levels possible. With some lists, like Ogres, the furtherst I'll ever get is getting them out the army case, leaving the case open, and then just pack them back as fast as they came out in the 1st place!!!

Long live all-mounted Empire!

danny-d-b
21-10-2009, 07:46
Other characters aren't given hatred by warrior priests.

x2 though you can always hammer of judgement the grand master and get re-rolls to hit and wound

Thurizdan
21-10-2009, 08:11
Someone's gonna get Smiiiiiiited....;)

I think you mean smote ;)

One-S
21-10-2009, 08:20
Lvl 4 on a Warhorse
Lvl 2 On a Warhorse
5 Knight
5 Knights
5 Knights
5 Knights
5 Outriders
5 Outriders

TBH I think this list is OK for drawing. Winning at the other hand...
This list can't handle terrain properly (difficult/impassable terrain, forests,...).
It can't handle infantry in buildings properly.
It can't handle psychology properly.
I see it having dificulties with flying monsters (dragons, thirsters,...)
It's easy to marchblock / redirect.
The only answer this list has against buildings bunckered with infantry, flying monsters, march blockers/ redirecters,... is 10 outriders and 2 wizards (and they can't handle the psychology part).

Kahadras
21-10-2009, 09:29
All mounted Empire is fine IMHO. Grab a Grandmaster, a Captain on Pegasus and a couple of mounted warrior priests for magic defence. Then load up on units of 5 or 6 knights as core choices. Take a couple of units of Pistoliers for march blocking and a couple of units of Outriders to give you some firepower. Finaly you could take Bronzino's galloper guns for some extra punch (I'm not a big fan of Steam tanks and they don't really fit the army theme very well IMHO).

Kahadras