PDA

View Full Version : Disney Vault release method for GW

Templar Ben
19-10-2009, 14:44
I find myself in the possession of a few Pretorian models and that got me thinking. What if GW went back into the archives of old models no longer produced and released them for a short time. Not necessarily as short as Space Hulk but short enough that it was very clear that it was not going to stick around.

GW could take orders the month before like they do with pre-release now and give that release 3-6 months with a reminder on the website, in stores, and in WD that it will end and not seen again for xx years. (Disney does 10.)

The artificial scarcity will allow GW to get a boost in price and since the molds already exist there is minimal development costs. Naturally GW would want to have boxes with artwork produced and it would help sales to have a buildup in WD to include some special battle reports and scenarios (Return to Big Toof in the Pretorian case) and painting guides.

It helps collectors because more of those models are available. Naturally there is some loss to those that buy up models for resale but those individuals can simply wait until after they are no longer available by GW as the price will go back up even if not as high as before the rerelease.

Do you think such a model would work for GW?

grissom2006
19-10-2009, 15:30
Well in a lot of cases that won't be possible as lots of the moulds are no longer about pretorians being one such mould. Nice idea and i'd love it but i know that most of them went out the door in bits so would need redoing.

Templar Ben
19-10-2009, 15:42
I was not aware that the Pretorian molds no longer existed. I suppose GW could redo the molds (metal molds are low cost) but I was thinking more on the line of milking the existing stuff with minimal investment by GW instead of having GW make a larger investment.

grissom2006
19-10-2009, 15:47
They cleared out loads and the pretorians they over ran them with intent to breaking it thats why they had the great offer on them all those years ago.

blongbling
19-10-2009, 16:02
what he said ^ ^

grissom2006
19-10-2009, 16:04
Try not old and bad try they got placed in a rather large bin in pieces i was one of the people who put said pieces in the bins as i used to work in the casting department.

TheBigBadWolf
19-10-2009, 18:13
Meh, Im not a fan of the Disney thing, I waited absolute ages for Pinocchio to come on DVD, and when it was released I was kinda of disapointed, dont know why, probably nostalgia.

Im not sure it would work the same with minatures, as you can just buy some similar ones (cadians, vostroyans etc) or may already have a few. Instead of buying the timed release, its not like SH or Pinocchio that is unique enough to warrant a limited timed release.

Templar Ben
19-10-2009, 22:38
As I said when I made the OP, there is a presumption that the molds are available.

It sounds as if that is not the case.

Curious but you guys know GW.

crandall87
19-10-2009, 23:00
I'm sure a lot of people would love to see the praetorians back on FW or plastic box form but you don't hear much about them these days from GW so I think it's unlikely.

Grimstonefire
19-10-2009, 23:04
Vaguely related to this, do GW not recast metals? I don't know if they would just get more brittle being melted down and recast, but it would save a lot of space to have a clear out every now and then.

sigur
19-10-2009, 23:12
I think that the problem is, again, the scale of business/market. Disney can recycle their old stuff for ever and it will always sell because it's become part of western culture. GW on the other hand, would sell a gimmicky thing to some older people (who aren't their main target group as we know) who care for the older minis that actually aren't too rare (GW wouldn't redo the really old minis, mainly because moulds are gone and techniques have changed).

It just wouldn't pay off I think.

Nuada
19-10-2009, 23:17
This idea comes up every now and again. The old moulds have been destroyed and the master tins were melted up at the old Eastwood/chewton street site. They had a strongroom full of the masters, they were paying alot of money to store these figures for hardly any return. When GW moved up to Lenton we had a new big strongroom that was supposed to be able to store the masters for the next couple of years, and also have the capacity to hold the "old range". However, this new strongroom was filled almost instantly, and they kept the old masters in the old eastwood strongroom for a while. A meeting was held, and it was decided to melt them down.

How do i know? because i was given the task of doing this.

spaint2k
20-10-2009, 03:37
The stock vs. sales problem arises because GW doesn't have a clue how to keep a running inventory of stock. The correct sales method would be to cast up a certain number of sets of the full Praetorian range, and advertise them as being available as a limited run only. Once they've gone, stop taking orders.

The limited factor would also appeal to all the geeks out there (here?) who'd lap it up.

Nuada
20-10-2009, 09:05
we didn't cull the molds/tins as drastically when we were in Baltimore. We kept a lot.

Yeah you have roughly the same range of masters as GWuk. When i mentioned destroying moulds i didn't mean current or recent range. I know we didn't recast any of the ones that i'm talking about, those were ripped up. I'm talking about very old stuff, so it'd definately be pre '99 (though we probably saved those, because they would have been almost current range at the time)
I'm guessing pre '95 have gone, with an odd exception of the fortunate "saved figures". I think those chaos dwarfs would have been current range at the time, so we still have them. Obviously they weren't replaced with new a range, they had an army book/leaflet back then. There was some rare figures melted eg. the 72mm judge dredd, dark future stuff, big metal giants, and several hundred others.
...You probably know Eric who came over from Baltimore, back in about '02-04 ish?

Got to say the uk mouldroom was poorly run. For example Alan was promoted straight from production mouldmaker to manager because he was old. Nothing to do with any knowledge, skill or long term service.... just age. Rich was promoted because he was Alan's friend. Lots of skilled people left, Colin quickly got out there and went to the studio, some went to work for Stallard or Perrys, others went to different areas, some walked out. Then finally they released it didn't work with them in charge. Alan has been gone for a while now, Rich has been pushed to one side. Terry wasn't anything to do with the mouldroom directly, he actually seemed to be good at his job. :p He's still there doing a good job.

grissom2006
20-10-2009, 11:21
The stock vs. sales problem arises because GW doesn't have a clue how to keep a running inventory of stock. The correct sales method would be to cast up a certain number of sets of the full Praetorian range, and advertise them as being available as a limited run only. Once they've gone, stop taking orders.

They did do the limited run with them it was the squad of them coming with a chimera and a very good low price ;).

spaint2k
20-10-2009, 12:27
What I was really trying to say was that GW needs to keep track of inventory in a live shopping cart.

Vermin-thing
05-11-2009, 07:57
4. What if the molds that were available do "burn out" and there are still sales in the system for those codes. Sales is loath to cancel orders, and from my experience would send out crappy metal rather than tell a customer something they ordered is no longer available.

Heh, tell that to me. I bitz orderd the metal screaming bell over two months ago, and just today they sent me an email saying that it was no longer available.
:cries:

It must have been over looked, and when we reordered it it was to late. At least they're giving me a plastic one instead.

Vermin-thing
06-11-2009, 09:44
Well the funny thing is that I'm still getting two of the new ones so I highly doubt that it would impact sales at all.

AndrewGPaul
06-11-2009, 11:45
Well, it would have cut your purchase of the new one by 50%, had you bought the old one instead.