PDA

View Full Version : How to go about selling?

Hexfourth
19-10-2009, 18:30
Please keep in mind that I'm not posting here to sell my army. I may list what I have and the price(s) I'm thinking about putting on my army, but the reason for the is purely to see how right I am in assuming it's worth.

I've recently grown really bored with my Nid army, even to the point of not really caring what's in the upcoming new codex. So I've taken it upon myself to finally get everything painted up, based, and packed away so I can sell them asap. Seeing how this is the first army I've collected and have no idea how to go about pricing, I would greatly appreciate any advice about how I much I should be asking for.

I'll probably be going through ebay, and more than likely setting a minimum bid. I've used ebay before, but only to purchase items. I've heard a few ideas as far as general etiquette goes to protect myself as well as to please the buyer (stating that I'm not responsible for damages occurring through shipping, making sure all the what you see in the picture is exactly what I'm selling, etc). Is there anything else I should be concerned for and/or worried about?

I have an idea about how I should go about packing my models but I'd like any pointers people might have had to find out the hard way. I'm going to be putting the smaller models (gaunts / genestealers) in plastic baggies with cotton balls, which will in turn be in packing peanuts. The metal models will get their own individual wrapping to avoid as much damage as possible. I'll also be supplying the magnetized boxes that go along with the army, though I doubt I'll be putting anything in them to avoid damage as well.

Now as far as pricing goes, I was wondering how I go about finding a fair starting bid and / or buy it now. I was thinking about going off of the games-workshop site's price and then taking a specific percentage of that. Then once I have all my prices, total it. For example, the Hive Tyrant is listed at ~$50 and a Zoanthrope is listed at $20. If I got by 50% of the retail price then I'd total the two at $35. I do want to sell the army as a whole, and include the magnetized bins. Should I charge more for the fact that everything will be painted (nicely (third party opinions)) and based or will that simply affect the bidding regardless?

Any thoughts and/or advice is welcomed, my thanks for your time in advance!

mdauben
19-10-2009, 18:45
Now as far as pricing goes, I was wondering how I go about finding a fair starting bid and / or buy it now.
In part that depends on just how good a paint job you have done. If its done to a good gaming standard, I would figure each miniature is worth at least 2x list price. If you are a really good painter, the value could easily be more. If on the other hand its a really poor or incomplete job that is just going to need to be stripped and re-done, 1/2x list might be more realistic.

I do want to sell the army as a whole, and include the magnetized bins.
That's easier for you, but may limit your possible bidders and result in a lower total selling price than auctioning it off in lots. There are lots more people prepared to drop $30-40 for one squad, than there are people who can afford $200-300 for a whole army in one shot. You could offer discounts on shipping for people who buy more than one lot, to encourage that.

Should I charge more for the fact that everything will be painted (nicely (third party opinions)) and based or will that simply affect the bidding regardless?
Certainly, nicely painted should be worth more than unpainted or poorly painted. Lots of people don't like or don't have time for painting and want to buy a painted army. On a nicely painted army I would set a reserve price at least equal to the MSRP of the individual components. IMO you should not expect to lose money on painted minis, unless they are really bad. If you are expecting the selling price to reflect the quality of the painting, be sure to include lots of clear, in focus, and close up photos of the miniatures so the buyer can see how good they are.

Now, I've never sold minis on eBay or for profit (except some unpainted, OOP Chaos Dwarfs which netted me a tidy return), so this is just based on what I have observed with friends and gaming buddies who have. YMMV. ;)

Hexfourth
19-10-2009, 18:52
To give an idea about how they're painted (quality as well as scheme) here's (http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o138/Hexfourth/DSCN1825.jpg) a select carnifex from my army. Mind you this one has been converted and based specially (the others are just regular ones with the same paint scheme). In your opinion do you think an army with the same amount of detail and the same scheme will pull me more money than one that was "simply painted" for the sake of it?

incarna
19-10-2009, 18:56
The economy seems to have made it a bad time to sell. People are mostly surfing ebay to find deals on cheap models as opposed to paying for nicely painted models.

I’ve sold nearly a half-dozen armies on Ebay and I’ve used several different strategies.

The first army I sold was terribly painted - Eldar. I used the GW site to price them appropriately and then dropped it by 50%. I sold squads separately because I felt that people would be more apt to purchase individual squads and vehicles they needed/wanted than to purchase one huge crap-painted army.

The second army I sold was significantly better painted, but not amazing - Necrons. I sold it at cost as one entity. I priced everything out and just put it up for cost and I threw in the case for free. I specifically mentioned that the case was free and I think this helped it to sell.

The third army I sold was very well painted – Lost and the Damned. Unfortunately, that wasn’t an army that was playable and my selling strategy was influenced a lot by the 40k climate… not many people were looking for an army they couldn’t play but there were probably some Fantasy players who wouldn’t mind adding 60+ zombies to their armies and some Chaos players who wouldn’t mind adding some Defilers to their armies. I sold the army off ass quads at cost. I could have probably sold it for more than cost but the fact that it was an unplayable army reduced its value.

The fourth army I sold was also well painted – Emperors Children. I sold this army off as individual squads at cost+50%. I happened to hit the market at just the right time. The Chaos codex had just come out (or was about to, I can’t quite remember) and getting ahold of sonic blasters and blastmasters was nearly impossible at the time.

The fifth army I sold was extremely well painted and had won many ‘best painted’ awards - Eldar. I sold it at cost+100%. I mentioned its award-winning paint job in the listing and it got swept up fast. That was right about the time the economy was in a nose dive so I was surprised to see that selling it wasn’t effected by that fact. I theorized that individuals on ebay who were looking for squads were looking to save money but price was no object for individuals looking for whole armies.

As you can see, there are many factors that influence a selling strategy.

If I were to sell a Tyranid army now, this is exactly what I’d do. I’d touch up the paint job as much as possible – maybe going so far as to discard models that I felt were horribly painted. I’d then wait until the Tyranid codex release date was officially announced and set the auction to end on the same day. I’d THEN price at cost+50% to take into account that there’s gonna be a lot of people out there who are just gonna want to play when the Tyranid codex hits the shelves and don’t wanna waste time building/painting an army. I’d then tack on another 0% to 75% depending on the quality of the paint job and the time I had investing in painting.

Sleazy
19-10-2009, 18:58
I'd call that a good tabletop standard. Its no golden daemon winner but its a very nice paintjob.

I reckon you could ask about 75% RRP. I realise that you have obviously put a lot of time and effort into them but only exceptional paintjobs usually make over RRP.

incarna
19-10-2009, 19:02
To give an idea about how they're painted (quality as well as scheme) here's (http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o138/Hexfourth/DSCN1825.jpg) a select carnifex from my army. Mind you this one has been converted and based specially (the others are just regular ones with the same paint scheme). In your opinion do you think an army with the same amount of detail and the same scheme will pull me more money than one that was "simply painted" for the sake of it?

I’d list the army as “well painted” – because it is. Even though many of my fellow gamers might consider me a “pro” painter I would never be so arrogant as to assume that I was anywhere near a “pro” painter – and I’ve seen some pretty horrible “pro” painted models on ebay so I tend to think buyers are wary of anyone who calls themselves a “master” or “expert” or “pro”.

*I* would list the army using the following equation:

Cost + hype(50%) + paint(75%) = Cost+125%

If it didn’t sell, I’d list it again at Cost+100% but I wouldn’t go lower than that.

Hexfourth
19-10-2009, 20:06
Very sound and logic advice from everyone. It really helps me put some perspective on how I'd like to sell this army. I definately believe the fact that the new Tyranid codex coming out will probably help my chances at selling them at a price that would be higher than if the codex was nowhere near release.

As per the "pro-painted" comments. I whole-heartedly agree. Too many times have I see someone put "pro-painted" on their ebay auction only to see that the bulk of the army is using only the primer as a scheme. It really miffs me considering it downgrades the initial attention brought to the actual pro-painters. In all actuallity, if anyone with two halves of a brain is to look at an ebay page, they'd probably want to check the "well-painted" entries or the likes first.

Incarna: In regards to your initial suggested price, do you mean "cost" as in GW standard retail plus an additional 125%? I checked the cost of what it would take to get all the models I have off the GW site and found it to be exactly $767.50. Is that to say you would sell it at ~$1,730? That seems incredibly high to me.

incarna
19-10-2009, 20:22
Incarna: In regards to your initial suggested price, do you mean "cost" as in GW standard retail plus an additional 125%? I checked the cost of what it would take to get all the models I have off the GW site and found it to be exactly $767.50. Is that to say you would sell it at ~$1,730? That seems incredibly high to me.

Yep GW model cost + 125%. Price your army and tack on 125%.

It may seem high to you but NEVER underestimate the value of codex hype. You’re not selling to the rank and file ebay surfer looking for a deal. You’re selling to the handful of people out there looking to put the new Tyrand Codex into action as soon as possible without the investment of time necessary to build and paint.

~$1,730 seems about right to me. The Eldar army I mentioned above sold for ~$1,750 and it consisted of only about 40 models. You have the “horde army” factor working in your favor as well buying, assembling and painting ~50 space marines/elder/necrons is one thing where buying, assembling and painting ~100 tyranids/orks/Imperial guard is quite another… and you’re offering a shortcut; a shortcut that people are willing to pay for. You won’t have 50+ views on your listing. You’ll have around 10… but I would be SHOCKED if it didn’t sell… especially if you end the auction on the same day as the codex release.

I’ve given this a LOT of thought. I’ve actually considered buying, assembling, and painting a Tyranid army as quickly as possible before the codex release in order to double my money when it hits the shelves. Unfortunately I don’t have the time but if I did, you can bet, I’d keep all this to myself as I would consider you competition.

edit:

I gave the exact same advice to a guy who wanted to sell his well painted Imperial Guard army before the Imperial Guard codex came out. He took most of my advice – but felt that the price I told him to post at was too high. He put it up for around cost +25% if I recall correctly.

It sold the SAME DAY that he posted and he had his money in Paypall within 10 minutes of sale. After the sale he admitted that he wished he had followed my advice because he didn’t realize how ravenous people would be to get their hands on an entire army in conjunction with a new codex release.

It may seem high to you but don’t undersell yourself. You’ll regret it. You can always take the ebay listing hit and relist for cheaper.

Hexfourth
19-10-2009, 20:36
Yep GW model cost + 125%. Price your army and tack on 125%...

Everything you said has substantial merit based on your logic and examples. I really can't believe it'd go for that much, but what you said about the codex hype really does make a lot of sense. I suppose my biggest problem is waiting until January to sell the army off (considering I'm a very impatient person)... but hearing that line of reasoning has bolstered my desire to get as much as I can for this army. Seeing how I have little more than two months, I should definately be able to get the models in tip-top shape.

I just read your edit after refreshing my post's preview. Sounds like a definate plan. I'm dead-set now in trying the stradegy with the previously mentioned price (or damned close to it). Two month should be MORE than enough time to make sure everything's painted, based, redetailed, and safely packed away.

Now, I do have one specific question since you've had more experience than me at selling on ebay. Are there specific things I should be posting on the page that I can use to protect myself from anything I haven't already become aware of such as damaging durring shiping?

I'm a little overwhelmed at the aspect of packing so many models too. I would greatly like to protect them as best as possible considering the price I'll be putting on them. Any packing advice as well?

incarna
19-10-2009, 21:12
Everything you said has substantial merit based on your logic and examples. I really can't believe it'd go for that much, but what you said about the codex hype really does make a lot of sense. I suppose my biggest problem is waiting until January to sell the army off (considering I'm a very impatient person)... but hearing that line of reasoning has bolstered my desire to get as much as I can for this army. Seeing how I have little more than two months, I should definately be able to get the models in tip-top shape.

I just read your edit after refreshing my post's preview. Sounds like a definate plan. I'm dead-set now in trying the stradegy with the previously mentioned price (or damned close to it). Two month should be MORE than enough time to make sure everything's painted, based, redetailed, and safely packed away.

Now, I do have one specific question since you've had more experience than me at selling on ebay. Are there specific things I should be posting on the page that I can use to protect myself from anything I haven't already become aware of such as damaging durring shiping?

I'm a little overwhelmed at the aspect of packing so many models too. I would greatly like to protect them as best as possible considering the price I'll be putting on them. Any packing advice as well?

As far as damage during shipping – nothing you can do. It happens. Package them as best you can. I always bought carrying cases for my armies – I played for years with the army before selling it - and threw them in for free to whoever bought it (I obviously didn’t need it since, a lot of time, the foam was cut custom to the army and it wouldn’t be easy adapt the case to another army). This helped the army sell and protected them in transit… if you don’t have a custom case, just do the best you can with whatever packaging materials you can find.

INSURE YOUR PACKAGE! Repeat: INSURE YOUR PACKAGE!

Insurance doesn’t cost very much and it’s a LIFESAVER. I once received a message saying something to the effect of:

“Hello, I received your package today and let me just say I was very disappointed. Most of the models inside were completely smashed – beyond repair. I’d like to resolve this without contacting Ebay or Paypal. What are we going to do to resolve this issue?”

My response was:

“I am extremely disappointed that models that I spent so much time and effort painting are now destroyed. Fortunately, the package was insured. Please photograph the damaged models and email them to me. I know this is a hassle but it’s part of the insurance claim procedure. After I submit the insurance claim, the post office will send a delivery man to your residence to inspect the package contents for liability on behalf of the post office. At which point the claim will process and you will receive a full refund.”

I never heard back from the guy so, obviously he thought I was stupid and wouldn’t insure an expensive and fragile package and just wanted to try and scam me. Point is however, HAD the models actually been destroyed, both I and my buyer would be safe.

As far as the listing – I always just itemized my models. No one wants to zoom in on a pixilated photograph and try to count how many models they’re getting. Ebay has an option for “no refunds on this item” or something to that effect so, as long as you make sure that box is checked (it is by default) you should be good.

If you haven’t already, take the time to photograph prominent figures from the army in good lighting. A photo of the entire army from 3 feet away isn’t nearly as impressive as a photograph of a Fire Prism (or carnefex in your case) from six inches away. I’ve had people ask for additional photographs of the army which you can email – but unpackaging the army to do so is not something you’ll want to do.

I don’t think there’s much else to it to be honest. As long as you take your time to package them well, communicate with your buyer, and insure the package – everything should fall into place…

If you end up selling internationally, you may want to ask if there are any things you should be aware of in regard to customs. Some countries charge a percent of an item for customs for packages in excess of $1000. It’s not your responsibility to know anything about the customs laws of other countries but it helps to maintain a good relationship with your buyers who’s first reaction will be to blame YOU when their customs send them a bill for ~$200. It’s a fee on imports though so, like I said, it’s not your responsibility (nor is it your bill - it's your buyers bill) but it can be avoided by sending the items as two or more separate packages and on different days… I’m by no means versed in international customs fees though – every country is different - so that’s an issue for you and your buyer.

incarna
19-10-2009, 21:17
Oh, and good luck. Let me know how everything goes come January.

Bunnahabhain
19-10-2009, 22:51
I'd second lots of Incarnas points there.

For a well painted and cohesive army, it should be worth substantially more than cost price. GW cost + 100% is sensible for a good table top standard army.

To get a decent price for it:
One lot, although giving an option to a winning buyer to split the lot to avoid customs issues is very cunning.

Finish everything. If it's not finished, don't include it in the lot.

Properly itemised list.

Decent photos. Use a tripod, lights at several angles to avoid shadows, and focus free neutral background. Scale item for any conversions.

A fragile package of ~$1500 should always be insured, regardless of if it is GW models or meisien porcelain...

All of which should show you're serious and sensible.

Hexfourth
19-10-2009, 23:51
Once again thanks for the responses to my questions. Everything seems to have been answered and I should be all set once January comes around. I'm really looking forward to finishing these guys up and seeing what I can get for them.

I'll definitely keep you informed Incarna. I may even send you a friend request seeing how I might have a few questions later on to PM you (if you don't mind, that is).

incarna
20-10-2009, 14:37
Once again thanks for the responses to my questions. Everything seems to have been answered and I should be all set once January comes around. I'm really looking forward to finishing these guys up and seeing what I can get for them.

I'll definitely keep you informed Incarna. I may even send you a friend request seeing how I might have a few questions later on to PM you (if you don't mind, that is).

PM me any time. Happy to help.

Karhedron
20-10-2009, 15:15
One further strategy I have seen is to use the "Buy it now" and "Make an offer" features.

Simply list the item with a "Buy it Now" price set as what you would like to get for the army in an ideal world. If some takes that option then perfect.

If not people are still likely to make offers. You can take your time to either the pick the best of the offers you receive or decline them all if none are high enough for you.

While it does not gauarentee a sale, it does ensure that you will be obliged to sell to the highest bidder, even if the top bid is low.

Kelderaith
20-10-2009, 15:58
Another quick comment here (because one of my friend got scammed selling MTG cards on Ebay once), is you should really "track" your package. Else the buyer can just say "I didn't receive anything" and you'll have to refund him, basically giving up your army for free. Fortunately, for my friend it was just about 80$ worth of cards (it's still very disappointing though) but I think you would cry yourself to sleep if it happened to your 1750$ army.

Good luck with your selling thing ;)

Cool_Mint
20-10-2009, 16:36
I'd call that a good tabletop standard. Its no golden daemon winner but its a very nice paintjob.

I reckon you could ask about 75% RRP. I realise that you have obviously put a lot of time and effort into them but only exceptional paintjobs usually make over RRP.

Is that Carnifex completed? The talons/scythes (or whatever they are called) look very flat and grey but the main body looks excellent.

75% of retail price? I guess that's about right but FFS you've got to wonder if it's worth all the hours of effort and attention to detail if your army is worth less than if you left it in the wrapper! There's no justice.

SPYDER68
25-10-2009, 19:42
This isnt a for sale ad.. its more of a... how have you gone about parting with large armies ?

Reason i ask is im considering parting with my IG army.. due to i get bored playing it.

Is it best to break the army into small lots ?

All in 1 chunk ?

btw, this army is Fully painted and looks rather nice. Above tabletop quality.

In your experience... whats the best way to go ? Or openions.

shin'keiro
25-10-2009, 19:53
Unfortunately most people don't realise the expense of large armies due to the fact they buy them a bit at a time... most new armies can cost in excess of £400 once you include paints, glue, case(s) etc... so my advice is to sell it a bit at a time if you're going through ebay.

Lord Malorne
25-10-2009, 19:57
It is rare thet you can sell a large army in one go and be happy with what you get, if you want more GW stuff or wargaming stuff I would advise you to attempt to trade for what you want, as in most cases you can get retail for retail. In general selling depends on the army, if it is big then selling as several smaller armies would likely be best, only when you have stuff you can't shift would I ebay the rest.

Breaking up the more popular items for individual sale is also a good option, like with O&G's, squig hoppers and the warmachines go for much more in comparison to the more generic stuff.

forbin
25-10-2009, 20:09
from expirence I would recommend you break up the army for sale into squads or units , may be even small if you have metals

sold large armies my self and I wished I hadn't - they don't go for much!

Forbin

starlight
25-10-2009, 20:19
As someone who has bought several large army lots over the years...if it's money/value you're after *especially* if the paint is good, break it up and sell it in lots. You'll get a lot more for it, easily compensation you for the extra time involved.

Most of the armies I've bought have been at 25-50% of retail...whereas a single well painted unit can go for 100-150% of retail... :eek:

CraftworldsRus
25-10-2009, 20:23
I would recommend perhaps putting the full army up with the minimum bid being the least you would be happy taking for it. Someone might bite. Then, if it doesn't sell, sell it in small lots. Just make sure the lots make sense to use together. 10 men and a Chimera, Infantry platoon and heavy weapons, ect. I don't know many people that will bid on a lot of 5 men, a sentinel, 3 Rough Riders and a Leman Russ.(Unless the cost of the total is less then the cost of the Russ)

Juggalo
25-10-2009, 20:56
You will get more money from Bartertown. Try there first, then resort to eBay.

t-tauri
25-10-2009, 21:04
Merged to the existing thread.

You'll only get a good price for a whole army if it's really well painted and/or themed. Unit by unit is the way to go to maximise the return on ebay. That will take more time in listing, packing and posting.

GrimDog
26-10-2009, 01:53
bartertown will net you more $ or trade value imo

SPYDER68
26-10-2009, 02:16

Trade is 100% out of the question.

Paypal + Ebay is only way. Wont take any chances getting scammed.

spaint2k
26-10-2009, 03:12

I find that unlikely. A lot of people on Bartertown are seeking to score value purchases and will very likely lowball you.

Hexfourth
26-10-2009, 04:23
Is that Carnifex completed? The talons/scythes (or whatever they are called) look very flat and grey but the main body looks excellent.

75% of retail price? I guess that's about right but FFS you've got to wonder if it's worth all the hours of effort and attention to detail if your army is worth less than if you left it in the wrapper! There's no justice.

For awhile I was going to say it was finished. However, as I'm detailing my bigger models at the moment, I'm going to be adding much more detail that I forgot to put in the first time around. I'll be layering different shades of gray over the more flat looking areas to make it seem much more worn down and realistic. So sadly it's still a work in progress.