PDA

View Full Version : Let's play guess the missing 40K codex coming out in 2010 game

HsojVvad
19-10-2009, 20:16
Ok here we go. We know, Tyranids will be released in January. Then something Fantasy. We know BA will be released but when? Then it will be anthour 40K codex, since it's SM, something else, SM, something else, or it seems to be like that. We also know that anthour SM book will be released also in 2010, so my question is, what will be released after BA? Let's just have a good old, guessing game, (wish listing aloud, were are here for fun) and let the guessing games begining.

Some ramblings that got me thinking.

Ok, I looked through, 5 pages and didn't see a what is the next codex coming out. I guess it burried more than 5 pages, but since I am still sick and getting dizzy, I will be logging off for a bit to rest the eyes. But I wanted to ask before I left.

So we know, that in 2010, it is suppose to be a fantasy year.

It was also said, if you thought SM were being released too much, then we have saw nothing yet. (guess part of that is the release LotD in January. 15 models if I read correctly)

We know, that Blood Angeles will be released in 2010, but don't know yet.

We know Tyranids will be released Jan 2010, (I think it was the 2nd or 3rd, sorry can't remember)

Harry said, BA are only half the story. After great speculation, it's not a AoD book at all. Harry even said after that the other half of the story is anthour SM book.

Brimstone said somewhere, that he didn't say they would be both released at the same time.

So from the statements of Harry and Brimstone, we know there will 2 SM codicies released in 2010.

Soooooooooooooooo, we know Tyranids in January. Not shure what is planned for February, I am guessing Fantasy, or Lord of the Rings. But havn't read anything in the LotR forums, so that is why I guess Fantasy. Maybe nothing.

It was rumoured BA in March, (then pushed back to a summer release.) From this I guess we can assume that BA will be released after Tyranids for a 40K release.

Then we will have anthour Fantasy release I guess again. Eventually it will be anthour 40K release, and then some LotR stuff and Fantasy again.

So since we know anthour SM will be released sometime in 2010, what could it be? BT and DA have been guess out from a certian GW employee's answer. The question was asked if he will smile or be sad for an upcoming BT release. He said he will be sad. So he is either sad, because the upcoming BT codex will be crap, (wich seeing how the latest codicies havn't been crap, BT should be good) so he is crying that it will not be released. Same for DA, too many other projects ahead of it.

It was also stated, Inquisitors or was it DH is ruled out as a release in 2010.

Sorry for blabbering. I am still sick, time to let my eyes rest. Hope to see some enlighting and entertaining comments when I come back online.

Hope you guys are having a better day than me.

Kirill
19-10-2009, 20:37
Tau are soonish.
Brim said something in another post.
ehehe.
It wouldn't surprise me if '2010 is teh year for fantasy' simply because there's a number of easy codex to do. Blood angels are fairly easy, there was also a rumor floating around that it's already done. Tau are another such one of these. Very few changes are required to make the codex work much better in fifth. I guess you could also pick any of the other codex that require "X = Y" and "A = B" and now you can stomp the enemies, for the greater good, emperor, skulls for the skull throne, etc etc etc.
I'm too tired to put such candidates into a list. But it'd prolly involve Eldar, too.

Nezalhualixtlan
19-10-2009, 20:40
I don't know, but I would hope it's Necrons or Dark Eldar, they both badly need a codex update, probably more than any other armies in my estimation.

Souleater
19-10-2009, 20:43
M'bye Ravenguard are getting their own codex to tie in with FW?

I really would not be surprised if it turns out to be Tau.

Witch Hunters and Cron are two dexes that IIRC are 'some way off if they are even being worked on'

In my wildest dreams....maybe, maybe they will squeeze dark eldar out for end of '10.

@ HsojVvad: Hope you feel better soon, fella.

Rick Blaine
19-10-2009, 20:43
Put me down for $10 for "nothing." GW does 2 Codexes a year.

CommissarGuard
19-10-2009, 21:04
It got hinted to me by the person who own the independt shop i get my 40k stuff from is that the necrons might be out later in 2010 after the nids

Commisar
19-10-2009, 21:14
If you beleave everything then the Second "Marine" Codex of this year can only be marines in a very tenuous way, this means (to my mind) either Gray Knights or Chaos Space Marines.

Either that, or Allesio was wrong/evasive/misinterpreted Reggarding "No Dark angles or Black Templars in the comeing year".

Or, Harry/Brimstone are wrong/evasive/misinterpreted about there being two marine codexes this year.

Otherwise it dosent stack up. Unless you want to put stock in that Blood Ravens codex rumour that was doing the rounds a little while ago. This would upset me.

Sorros
19-10-2009, 21:24
I'm pretty sure smurfs are getting a new codex in 2010.

Lothlanathorian
19-10-2009, 21:26
Not Dark Eldar.

Lord Of The Avatars
19-10-2009, 21:32
Space Marines are too overdone- we need some XENOS!!1! lol
TBH, we need the DEldar and Necrontyr codexes above all else, and also the Witch Hunters should be redone along with Grey Knights they need a new one desperately. I would love a new Tau and Eldar, mainly because i collect Eldar and within the next years a Tau army. I hope you agree >.<

TheEndIsHere
19-10-2009, 21:38
10 was supposed to be a xenos year. Then a fantasy year, I guess anyhting thats not SM is xenos. Even fantasy?

Brimstone said end 10 beguinning 11 for DE and necrons and said somewhere else thats DE would be end 10...

D-End

Zanzibarthefirst
19-10-2009, 21:40

I'll happily accept that $10. Even better if that $ turns into a . GW doesnt have a set number of codex releases per year.

the1stpip
19-10-2009, 21:46
I had heard rumours of a Salamanders codex, due to the upsurge in popularity due to a cerain special character, but I have little belief in that.

incarna
19-10-2009, 21:48
Ive heard Eldar and Ive heard Necrons but lets make a list of the TRUE 5th ed codexes:

Space Marines
Orks
Imperial Guard
Space Wolves

There are some supposed quasi-5th codexes:

Chaso Space Marines
Chaos Daemons

Which leaves:
Eldar
Dark Eldar
Tau
Tyranids
Necrons
Witch Hunters/Sisters of Battle
Daemon Hunters/Grey Knights

If I had to guess, Id say GW will release either a new Eldar or Necron codex in late 2010 or early 2011as Ive heard the most buzz about those two and theyre codexes that pretty much need a 5th ed facelift and some new models making the effort to release them pretty minimal.

If *I* were GW, Id release the Tyranid codex early 2010 to satisfy the 40k gamer. Id then devote nearly all my design staff to the monumental task of a new Dark Eldar codex and model line. Id take the couple guys remaining and put them on Blood Angels Codex/model line duty. Id release Blood Angels mid 2010 and Dark Eldar late 2010 in conjunction with a Blood Angels/Dark Eldar Mackerage-style Christmas kit and market late 2010 as a 40Ks embrace of truly bloody close combat.

Rick Blaine
19-10-2009, 21:48
I'll happily accept that $10. Even better if that $ turns into a . GW doesnt have a set number of codex releases per year.

Maybe not, but they do end up releasing 2 of them 8 years out of 9 ;)

Industrial Propaganda
19-10-2009, 22:15
Grey Knights or World Eaters for the second marines codex in 2010 please.

Sorros
19-10-2009, 22:27
Grey Knights or World Eaters for the second marines codex in 2010 please.

Because Marines need ANOTHER chapter with special rules, and their own codex, amirite? Or, by Grey Knights, do you mean daemonhunters?

Need moar Xenos.

marv335
19-10-2009, 22:29
It's not Necrons, they're 2011 at the earliest, judging from what I was told at games day.
If I was a betting man I'd say 2010 looks like Tyranids, Blood Angels, Tau, Black Templar

loveless
19-10-2009, 22:33
Because Marines need ANOTHER chapter with special rules, and their own codex, amirite? Or, by Grey Knights, do you mean daemonhunters?

I'd go with "Daemonhunters" or "Inquisition" for that one.

----

The hint was "Marines" however - which I would hope would be some sort of Chaos Marine after the Blood Angels are released. I'd love Emperor's Children in some reliable, noisy form, but I know better than to hope for that sort of thing.

Necrons are slotted in after Dark Eldar by most reports, so it's not them - as Dark Eldar are mentioned to be late 2010 at the earliest (making them a possibility, but I'd say unlikely).

Tau suffer from several hybrid kits, but there's not much in terms of mumblings about them.

Eldar feels unlikely.

Sisters/Ecclesiarchy would be an Imperial overload, despite my longing for an update.

Ehh...I'd like it to be something Chaotic - despite my own personal wishlists, it feels like Chaos needs something fancy.

Bozinius
19-10-2009, 23:06
I'd say Tyranids, Blood Angels, then Eldar. Who knows after that. I got this from rumors off the Warseer forums so I have no earthly idea if they are correct or not.

KingDeath
19-10-2009, 23:25
Well, Black Templars would be nice but there are others which deserve a Codex first. ( poor Necrons, Dark Eldar and the Daemon hunters imo ).

Dangersaurus
19-10-2009, 23:32

PM me. I'll take that bet for 2010. And 2011.

LonelyPath
19-10-2009, 23:39
I'm guessing Codex: Inquisition or at least Daemonhunters for the other dex featuring marines. Other than that I'd say Necrons or Dark Eldar (if the minis get done).

Threeshades
19-10-2009, 23:40
I read that Cavatore said on GD Italy that Dark Eldar won't be coming out before 2011.

Ianos
19-10-2009, 23:41
Eldar are doing OK and have a pretty recent dex. I think the plan should be something like BA, DE, Inquisition, Crons, BTs, Tau.

This keeps the 1 marine/1 xenos and follows both BA and DE rumors. Also since it was hinted in the last GD that BTs and DAs will wait longer i can see inquisition fitting in there. After that the logical step is crons who have issues in 5th and then the rest.

brawnyman1989
19-10-2009, 23:42
My guess is Blood Angels and Dark Eldar. GW can't be that stupid to leave an army updated for 11 years... Right? RIGHT? :(

Mojaco
19-10-2009, 23:45
I'm going to guess Chaos. GW knows how unhappy people are with it, it is a great seller in general, it has some fantastic minis that aren't moving off shelves (spawns and possessed) so new rules would help those... and it's a fan favorite, so it can easily take the place of a Space Marine release.

So I'm hoping Chaos. I've won enough with my Tzeentch list, it's time for something new :D

HsojVvad
19-10-2009, 23:51
Thanks Souleater, I feel a bit better. Didn't sleep but not surfing the net did help. I guess I am too use to my laptop now lol.

I never even thought of Tau. I forgot about them. When did they have their last release? 2007 or was it 2006?

I would love for it to be DE. I would collect them. It was suppose to me my first army that I collected, but when I bought the 3rd edtion box set, life came up and I never started. That will be one army I collect and hoping the mini's are awsome and it will be worth the wait.

So from what I read: list from incarna

Space Marines: Already out
Orks: Done just before 5th edtion rules
Imperial Guard: Just came out
Space Wolves: Just released

There are some supposed “quasi-5th” codexes:

Chaso Space Marines: Codex suppose to be 5th edtion compatible. Maybe a legion book?
Chaos Daemons: Same as above. Very highly unlikely this will be redone anytime soon.

Which leaves:
Eldar: Sort of new, but if it will make money, it could be a surprise release
Dark Eldar:from rumours not happening till late 2010 or '11
Tau: Maybe a quick fix, again like Eldar, if it will make money it could be a surprise release
Tyranids: Coming out in January
Necrons: Same as DE, not till late 2010 more likely 2011.
Witch Hunters/Sisters of Battle: Rumour no Inquition,
Daemon Hunters/Grey Knights: Rumour has it no inquition, but whos to say GK can be seperated. I highly doubt it though

Forgottly mentioned,

Dark Angels: Herd nothing for them.
Black Templar: Rumoured to be worked on, as with BA.

So according to the list, it looks like it could be Tau. I am assuming Chaos Space Marines are considered SM. I never noticed when the C:SCM was released, was it released between 2 SM codicies, or between 2 xeno codicies?

Prospero
20-10-2009, 00:01

This game can never have enough marines, unclean xeno. :D

On topic though, I suppose it depends on what you can make out of the cryptic hints that Harry or Brim have mentioned.

I highly doubt it's Dark Eldar or Necrons though.

TheEndIsHere
20-10-2009, 00:07
I'm going to guess Chaos. GW knows how unhappy people are with it, it is a great seller in general, it has some fantastic minis that aren't moving off shelves (spawns and possessed) so new rules would help those... and it's a fan favorite, so it can easily take the place of a Space Marine release.

So I'm hoping Chaos. I've won enough with my Tzeentch list, it's time for something new :D

The thing with chaos, it sells well but it's a hard codex to do...

Fugazi
20-10-2009, 00:11
Codex: Warseer

:confused:

Oh, you were serious? Blood Angels or one of the Chaos Legion things.

Death Company
20-10-2009, 04:15
Tyranid, Blood Angels - then perhaps Tau or Necrons are my guess.

I'm not sure that following Harry's often cryptic tidbits, we can safely say there is another Marines dex after Blood Angels. As he has shot down suggestions for both Black Templars as well as Dark Angels (which apparently happened at GD Italy as well) I'm betting on a xeno, and assuming the Legion of the Damned were the "other half of the story".

DuskRaider
20-10-2009, 06:06
I'm going to hope for a Chaos Legions codex (all 9 Legions in one), but I'm kind of doubtful. Been strung along a bit too much the past couple of years. Although there seems to be a lot more buzz about it lately, so it is quite a possibility.

megatrons2nd
20-10-2009, 06:09
The Dark Eldar are my pick for late 2010. I was told not to rebuild much of my army for them as the new models would make me want to replace most of the old ones. Tau would not be a surprise either. Brimstone told another member not to invest to much in the battlesuits. I'll have to find that thread for an exact quote.

"Unless you buy Forgeworld I wouldn't invest in Crisis suits too heavily at the moment." Brimstone's quote
"A couple of years, yes....:angel:" Brimstone's other quote

The Red Scourge
20-10-2009, 06:42
I'm guessing squats :)

Karhedron
20-10-2009, 09:50
My guess is Eldar for late 2010. They don't need a massive overhaul. Just update a a few things to bring them into line with 5th edition. Maybe add a new unit or two and a couple of plastic kits (Wraithguard, Seers and jetbikes please) and you are good to go.

It makes for an easy codex to release while still working on bigger projects.

Lord Solar Plexus
20-10-2009, 10:45
I know wishing and guessing what will actually happen are different pairs of socks but that would be a shame. Eldar are perfectly fine with but a few luxury problems while others are in dire need of a helping hand.

Brimstone
20-10-2009, 10:55
Well at least one person in this thread has the right order as far as I know it :p

Souleater
20-10-2009, 10:56
Hmm...I wonder if the mystery figure under the coffee cup is anything to do with the codex after BA?

Brimstone
20-10-2009, 11:02
Hmm...I wonder if the mystery figure under the coffee cup is anything to do with the codex after BA?

No it was a Legion of the Damned model.

Koris
20-10-2009, 11:30
My money is firmly on Codex: Inquisition.

Koris
20-10-2009, 11:34
It got hinted to me by the person who own the independt shop i get my 40k stuff from is that the necrons might be out later in 2010 after the nids

At UK Gamesday Jervis Johnson said that it was not going to happen any time soon.
GW are completely rethinking Necrons and their place in the new darker 40k galaxy.
Until they get their ideas together there wont be new Necrons.
I'd think you'll be lucky to see them in 5th edition.

Poseidal
20-10-2009, 11:37
My guess is after Blood Angels it's going to be Eldar of some sort (Dark/Craftworld).

They're the only unconfirmed (ie not Tyranids/BA) faction who from looking through the rumour roundup thread I can see scupts/prototypes of models that have gone unreleased. While the Dark Eldar ones could be test sculpts though, the Eldar Jetbike certainly isn't as it's apparently a Jes Goodwin one.

If it's coming out next year at all, it'll be near the end as it looks like there are quite a few stirrings about Fantasy, so I would think there will be more Fantasy releases.

Souleater
20-10-2009, 11:43
If they do release those jetbikes I beg GW to slip out the Dark Eldar Reaver kit alongside it.

Sorros
20-10-2009, 11:45
Codex: Exodites

That would be full of win...

I wonder if GW is going to let Necrons sort of die off like the squats...they always are being delayed, etc.

crimson vengance
20-10-2009, 11:59
My money is firmly on Codex: Inquisition.

I don't bet on it but it would be a good idea to merge the two inquisition codexes

Vandelan
20-10-2009, 12:43
Skimming this thread, I'm left to believe that all of the codices are going to be updated next year... :rolleyes:

Zanzibarthefirst
20-10-2009, 12:49
i dout all will be updated by the year 2010. I'd say late 2011 to mid 2012. Plus it all hinges on whether or not you think certain codeci need updating like eldar and tau. Whilst quite recent, they werent exactly 5th edition and so could still do some work. There has only offically been 3 5th edition codeci so it would take a lot longer than a year to have them updated.

Ironhand
20-10-2009, 12:52
Harry has quashed the idea of the legion of the Damned.

My vote is Tyranids, Blood Angels, and then Tau for 2010.

And Brim, you're getting as good at teasing as Harry. :)

Colonial Rifle
20-10-2009, 14:39
Tau and Eldar don't really need full updates - if either of those books were redone before Necrons/Dark Eldar it would be the most unnecessary codex release since Black Templar/Deamons. And astronomically lazy.

darker4308
20-10-2009, 14:46
Put me down for the "fire hawks" yet another useless 40k space marine chapter.

Giganthrax
20-10-2009, 14:46
I'm pretty sure we're getting Tyranids next. After that, it might be either BA & DA, or it might be a fantasy army book.

I don't see necrons and dark eldar coming out any time soon.

Xelloss
20-10-2009, 14:58
Tau [...] don't really need full updates.

I seriously doubt that. Quite a lot of their rules are useless now, and the 5th edition quite change many things for shooting armies.
After IG and nids, tau are the army with some serious KP problems, it wouldn't be a surprise GW would like quickly redo drones rules to correct it (well I among those who think KP was the problem from the beginning, but that's an other story).
Finally, Vespid are useless and need to be redone ; lots of tau players ask for human auxiliary forces so I wouldn't say nothing can be done for the tau codex...

Onisuzume
20-10-2009, 15:01
I had heard rumours of a Salamanders codex, due to the upsurge in popularity due to a cerain special character, but I have little belief in that.
Unlikely imo because they already have rules in a 5th edition codex.

Both DE and 'Crons have been way overdue now, but still...

Need moar Xenos.
Alright, Codex: Alienhunters (aka Ordo Xenos), that more Xenos for you? :p

Anyway, I don't really think that GW will suddely do 3 codices in a single year unless the 3rd is a very easy-to-do army. And if Blood Angels will be released next year, then the easy-to-do 2nd marine list would be Dark Angels (90% copy&paste when it comes to the rules, while the fluff can be copied from the 4th edition codex, add a few tack-ons (rules update, redeemer, mortis) and done).

Does result in anti-marine whine, but at least it'll be mostly over with the imperial codices for this edition then.

GW can't be that stupid to leave an army updated for 11 years... Right? RIGHT?
Well, there's the Chaos Dwarfs in fantasy....
Which haven't had a new army book since... the '92-'96 timeframe. (4th edition army book) So that would be at least 13 years without a new army book.

Karhedron
20-10-2009, 15:04
Tau and Eldar don't really need full updates - if either of those books were redone before Necrons/Dark Eldar it would be the most unnecessary codex release since Black Templar/Deamons. And astronomically lazy.

You are missing the point though. Those codices are also low-hanging fruit. GW can get a good return for relatively little investment. In my area Eldar and Tau are both fairly popular so a new codex with a couple of spiffy new units would be a good seller for GW with fairly little effort.

Dark Eldar and Necrons on the other hand need a lot more work. GW have decided to revise the whole DE line which is a big job. Of course we do not know when they started we have no idea when it will be ready. Necrons are also a tricky one. They were the brainchild of Andy Chambers and his departure left them somewhat orphaned.

The studio does not work to a strict rota that says "Marine codices will be updated every X years and others every Y years". What happens is that the developers work on projects that interest them. Once a developer gets enough ideas together he starts badgering other devs to play test games with him and the artists/sculptors to start working on concepts and minis. In this way projects develop a critical mass. Once a project reaches a certain level of development it becomes clear that it is either a realistic prospect for release or is a duffer and will go back in the pot.

Once a project is at a sufficiently advanced stage it will get some more formal treatment with people working to deadlines to get it ready.

This may sound a slightly haphazard way of working but it is GWs way. The advantage is that people get to work on the projects that interest them. The downside is the projects can languish in development hell for years. This may be a pain for fans but GW feel it is prefferable to forcing devs to work on projects they do not like. After all you cannot turn inspiration on like a light. If you get a bunch of people working on an idea that does not interest them the results will be somewhere between dull and dreadful.

The reason that Squats died was not because GW decided to kill them off. What happened was that no one could think what do with them. The Dwarf in space archetype did not excite any of the games developers. In Epic the focus on big war machines made them a very playable race but there was nothing that could be scaled down to the size of a Land Raider, never mind a Rhino.

In short, GW revamps the races its staff are interested in, not the ones the fans feel are oldest or in greatest need.

radical ed
20-10-2009, 15:07
one word: and it begins with an S and ends with an S.......with a Q in there....

nah, Iron Hands maybe? Would be very cool.

Im glad its not gonna be BT, they dont need a new codex. Shame is not gonna be DA tho.

mdauben
20-10-2009, 15:10
GW are completely rethinking Necrons and their place in the new darker 40k galaxy.
Darker? How can it get any darker, unless they start extiguishing suns or something!? :rolleyes:

Until they get their ideas together there wont be new Necrons.
I'd think you'll be lucky to see them in 5th edition.
That would royally suck, not only for Necron players but for the game in general. :mad:

Tau and Eldar don't really need full updates
Well, I don't know about Eldar, but I disagree about Tau. I think they have a lot of things that don't mesh well with 5th ed rules, and they also need some tweaks to be really competative in the new, more close-combat oriented game environement of 5th. On the other hand, I totally agree that Necrons and Dark Eldar are much more in need (and deserving of) a new codex than Tau.

lots of tau players ask for human auxiliary forces so I wouldn't say nothing can be done for the tau codex...
Humans!? We don' neeeed no stinking humans! :p

gwarsh41
20-10-2009, 15:24
chaos daemons..... being last stinks...

Karhedron
20-10-2009, 15:31

Darker? How can it get any darker, unless they start extiguishing suns or something!? :rolleyes:

Actually I thought extinguishing suns was exactly what the Necrons did. :p

Seriously though, there is a limit to the number of races that can contest the title of "Greatest threat to the Galaxy!:eek:" Chaos was historically the greatest evil in 40K. Then the Nidz have been hyped up to the point where they might eat the entire galaxy. Then Necrons were introduced as "The ancient evil from the dawn of time!(TM)".

It is actually quite a relief to have races like Tau and Eldar who are just muddling along and fighting for their own survival.

Necrons were originally introduced as a raiding force in WD. This niche clashed somewhat with the Dark Eldar and resulted in the Necrons being beefed up in their codex with things like Monoliths and the C'tan. Since then not a lot has happened with them.

Chaos wants to eat your soul, Nids want to eat your body and Necrons want to eat your bio-electricity. It all gets a bit samey after a while and I doubt that the poor Guardsman cares who eats what as he is equally dead either way.

Necrons need something to establish them as unique both in the fluff and on the tabletop. In battle they play a lot like tough Marines with limited options. Their weapons can harm most targets but this flexibility also makes it hard to expend the range since they lack obvious weaknesses. A lot of players find the WBB and Phaseout mechanisms awkward and would prefer to settle for simply giving the army FNP. The problem with this is then they play almost like robotic plague marines.

There is nothing wrong with the Necrons as such but it is hard to see how GW can expand the range. Without Andy Chambers to drive the project, it relies on someone else having a flash of inspiration.

gitburna
20-10-2009, 15:37
I'd been wondering about Iron Hands too. They're conspicuous by their absense in the current SM codex. Usually this means one of two polar opposite things : We've got BIG plans for them in the future (remember the Forgeworld drop troops for the last imperial guard codex) or they sold poorly and are a bit boring.

GW do already have a Black Templar codex which needs doing though...and i recall someone from the company saying that they had enough lines to support so they'd have to consider very carefully if they wanted to create another.

So if not black templars (and i've talked myself out of a mainstream iron hands i think) then i'd guess chaos - the two most popular of which being Nurgle and Khorne.
Khorne Jugger Riders squadrons FTW !

Tau of course seem to want a bit of something special - though it doesnt seem like 5 minutes since they had their 4th edition "just cos it's easy" update.

Koris
20-10-2009, 15:44

In the 40k rule book it describes the Astronomican losing its reach and brightness in the warp.
Humanity being assailed more than ever on all sides.

Necrons making piecemeal raids and random incursions just doesn't work so well anymore. GW feel they need a whole new reason d'etra (sp).
In the grim darkness of the 41st Millenium, there is only WAR!!

DuskRaider
20-10-2009, 15:56
Well at least one person in this thread has the right order as far as I know it :p

You're driving me insane. Alright, let's do it an easier way that won't let the cat out of the bag too much... My signature. See the armies I play? Will this be a good year for me or no?

C'mon! You know you want to tell us!

Absolutionis
20-10-2009, 15:57
Wishlisting, I'd like Iron Hands as the next 'Marine' Codex and Dark Eldar as the next 'nonMarine' codex.

Based on nothing else but what I read online, I believe Eldar may be after Blood Angels.

loveless
20-10-2009, 16:00
I'd been wondering about Iron Hands too. They're conspicuous by their absense in the current SM codex.

Well, they aren't absent, actually.

They appear in the color chapter section - albeit as a small description as opposed to the large description they deserve.

They also appear in the fluff section in one of the small background stories.

What they lack is a special character (but someone had to be left out to make room for Sicarius :p) to give Chapter Tactics.

mdauben
20-10-2009, 16:08
Wishlisting, I'd like Iron Hands as the next 'Marine' Codex
I know its just "wishlisting" but honestly, despite the wishes of their supporters, I just can't see GW adding yet another Marine codex to the list. Not only would their be howls of outrage from all the non-Marine players (and even some of the non-IH Marine players) but it could arguably be asserted that they already have too many Codexes to support properly, the last thing they need is another one. :rolleyes:

Aside from that, are the Iron Hands really that divergent from Codex marines to justify a separate codex? I'm not too familiar with their fluff, but does their TOE diverge more from the codex astares than Raven Guard, Salamanders, or the other non-Ultramarine codex chapters do? :confused:

m00ndust
20-10-2009, 16:11
I haven't read the whole thread so I'm following up after the Original Post.

Tyranids has officially been announced and the next fantasy army, if memory serves, is Skaven.

Everything following is pure speculation/rumors/wishful thinking. (no offense).

The whole buzz about a BA Codex isn't new but it's good to keep our hopes high in this bleak gothic and sad world of 40k. Still... it's a rumor. The whole idea was to get somekind of announcement in GD Italy and it's actually the late Fire Hawks chapter that gets a model or two.

Indeed, the past pattern of 40k Codices is "Imperium, Xenos, Imperium, Xenos..." but lately, they've updated Space Marines, Imperial Guard and Space Wolves one after the other so I don't know if they're gonna keep the old pattern up.

Most overdue Codices (in no order) are Dark Eldar, Necrons and "Forces of the Imperium" (as stated in the 5th edition rulebook) and they aren't "overdue" only for the outdated rules/mechanics but also for having pewter minis or poorly designed (dark eldar) minis compared to current standards.

So, in order to have those codices, they need to redo lots of minis and that's taking time and money. I'll remind y'all that GW have been facing "stronger-than-usual" competition in the last few years and weren't in such a great financial shape.

This might explain why they've redone Space Wolves this way: release "tactical marines" with a "wolf pack" sprue to customize your units.

So, for this release they made a special plastic sprue and released 3 new (?) special characters... that's a pretty low investment compared to redoing a whole army.

I'd guess that anything previous to 4th Edition Eldar (Febuary 2006-07 ?) has better chances of having a new codex than a recently released one.

Tyranids, fitting in this category, is next... so that Gives us...

Black Templars (codex ain't that great now, already got lots of special sprues)
Dark Angels (the army is a shooting version of the PDF blood angels as far as special rules go, they got special sprues and the codex does need an update)
Blood Angels (codex is a free PDF, given the recent poll I made, they're still quite popular as an army, Space Hulk has the potential of interesting new players to them but they'd require new sprues or units... plastic death company... full plastic Baal Pred... full Plastic Furioso... quite some work to do)
Dark Eldar (besides Warriors and some HQ you'd need to redo most of the army models, quite an investment of time and money...)
"Forces of the Imperium" (they need to make a codex that respects the inquisition's fluff while staying competitive, not easy to do. Most current inquisition minis are Pewter... so they need to make plastic ones... time and money)
Necrons (Codex is overdue, already got some plastic minis, would need to create at least 1 more troop choice and re-work the whole army mechanic so that it's fun to play with/against)

From what I see, I wouldn't be surprised that Black Templars or Dark angels get a codex update before BA... and next "way overdue" xeno codex would most likely be Necrons (still speculation but that's what I'd release as a Business)

jspyd3rx
20-10-2009, 16:38
Only because it makes no sense and would sell like crazy, Salamanders Codex. Similar to kit bashing release of SW. Also maybe a combo Codex of Adeptus Mechanicus/ Iron Hands. Since Iron Hands got no love from C: SM. Also in same kit bashing release; easy to do minis wise I imagine and would sell very well.

Kirill
20-10-2009, 16:58
I haven't read the whole thread so I'm following up after the Original Post.

Tyranids has officially been announced and the next fantasy army, if memory serves, is Skaven.

Everything following is pure speculation/rumors/wishful thinking. (no offense).

The whole buzz about a BA Codex isn't new but it's good to keep our hopes high in this bleak gothic and sad world of 40k. Still... it's a rumor. The whole idea was to get somekind of announcement in GD Italy and it's actually the late Fire Hawks chapter that gets a model or two.

Indeed, the past pattern of 40k Codices is "Imperium, Xenos, Imperium, Xenos..." but lately, they've updated Space Marines, Imperial Guard and Space Wolves one after the other so I don't know if they're gonna keep the old pattern up.

Most overdue Codices (in no order) are Dark Eldar, Necrons and "Forces of the Imperium" (as stated in the 5th edition rulebook) and they aren't "overdue" only for the outdated rules/mechanics but also for having pewter minis or poorly designed (dark eldar) minis compared to current standards.

So, in order to have those codices, they need to redo lots of minis and that's taking time and money. I'll remind y'all that GW have been facing "stronger-than-usual" competition in the last few years and weren't in such a great financial shape.

This might explain why they've redone Space Wolves this way: release "tactical marines" with a "wolf pack" sprue to customize your units.

So, for this release they made a special plastic sprue and released 3 new (?) special characters... that's a pretty low investment compared to redoing a whole army.

I'd guess that anything previous to 4th Edition Eldar (Febuary 2006-07 ?) has better chances of having a new codex than a recently released one.

Tyranids, fitting in this category, is next... so that Gives us...

Black Templars (codex ain't that great now, already got lots of special sprues)
Dark Angels (the army is a shooting version of the PDF blood angels as far as special rules go, they got special sprues and the codex does need an update)
Blood Angels (codex is a free PDF, given the recent poll I made, they're still quite popular as an army, Space Hulk has the potential of interesting new players to them but they'd require new sprues or units... plastic death company... full plastic Baal Pred... full Plastic Furioso... quite some work to do)
Dark Eldar (besides Warriors and some HQ you'd need to redo most of the army models, quite an investment of time and money...)
"Forces of the Imperium" (they need to make a codex that respects the inquisition's fluff while staying competitive, not easy to do. Most current inquisition minis are Pewter... so they need to make plastic ones... time and money)
Necrons (Codex is overdue, already got some plastic minis, would need to create at least 1 more troop choice and re-work the whole army mechanic so that it's fun to play with/against)

From what I see, I wouldn't be surprised that Black Templars or Dark angels get a codex update before BA... and next "way overdue" xeno codex would most likely be Necrons (still speculation but that's what I'd release as a Business)

And Tau. My god you people are forgetful. :p
Still, brim has already said tau are soon, they'd make a very easy hit for post-blood angels.
Not too many models to redo, battlesuits, maybe the tetra as a new unit. gobble up some sales with comparatively small expense money wise and time wise.

Edit: I had an interesting thought. We know they're going to do chaos legions codex of some sort in the future. Perhaps it's been planned for a while. It would make plenty of sense for games workshop to put one into development for post dark eldar / necron release. But since they've been delayed by various issues, there could certainly be a legions codex post-tau. To my mind if they're only going to do one legion per codex, alpha legion would probably get some love, as it uses models from imperial guard, space marines, would require very little effort to get it so it's play style to fit the fluff (Balance is another issue, mind.) And best of all, before you cry 'No moar marines!' it'd play very differently from standard chaos, standard imperial guard and could definitely be used by people playing Lost and the damned style lists, i think so anyway.

saljustsal
20-10-2009, 18:00
I would be willing to guess that the missing "space marine" release is chaos space marines.

DOW 2 is said to have chaos space marines in their next expansion, so that would make good business sense. DOW 2 is probably why tyranids are up so soon.

Blood angels are easy to crank out, so why not.

And then probably Tau, which is another popular army.

I think GW is stepping up their game a bit due to Privateer Press, who is having a large release year this year (something like 11 books).

Rick Blaine
20-10-2009, 19:23
one word: and it begins with an S and ends with an S.......with a Q in there....

Sasquatches. I called it first.

Absolutionis
20-10-2009, 22:16
DOW 2 is probably why tyranids are up so soon.

Blood angels are easy to crank out, so why not.Tyranids and Blood Angels are probably attributed to the still-recent hype of Space Hulk that came out.

loveless
20-10-2009, 22:32
Sasquatches. I called it first.

We will not be seeing Codex: Jokaero in 2010. As for 2011...

S_A_T_S
20-10-2009, 23:17
OK, my tuppence piece:

GW release product on a monthly schedule to fit with WHite Dwarf as an advertising tool. This means 12 potential releases (show me a month with 2 army books released - Daemons don't count!).

They don't release a new army every month, they don't have the resources, and customers wouldn't take it (too much spending). So we're gonna lose 3-4 months to 2nd waves, hobby related stuff (paints, brushes, scenery, etc), non-core stuff (Space Hulk, Blood Bowl - sure I read a rumour about something about something bigger than Space Hulk coming next year) and follow-up months to army/expansion releases.

Let's assume Tyranids and BA as givens, so that's 5-6 months of the year gone. If it's a year of Fantasy, let's assume 2 army books and 1 additional "something" - maybe another book, or an expansion or something. So 8-9 months gone already.

They gotta chuck LotR something, so expect 1-2 months focused on that. So we're at 9-10 months, leaving us 2-3 months. Any book non-SM is gonna suck up 2 months of that for release + follow up.

That last release could well be a 40k book. If it's SM (2/3 in a year?), with all those Xenos books to do, a lot of 40k player will be very, very angry. Being a year of Fantasy, I thing they'll stay away from Necrons and Dark Eldar, as both armies need major redesigns, and Dark Eldar are going to need a MAJOR release to raise interest enough to make them worthwhile to remake, so neither of those. Both Inquisition forces are out, as no one is interested until they bring out Alien Hunters.

To my mind, that leave Eldar and Tau. From grumbling here and in store, Tau are the army that "needs" updating, and it wouldn't be too major, although Eldar plastics could do with being updated (in preparation for DE?). To be on the safe side I'm gonna say, if it's 40k, Eldar, as it has been quite while since their last release, and it would be a good prep for DE. For those of you convinced there will be no DE ever again, then Tau.

Hey, that was quite a fun game!

CushionRide
20-10-2009, 23:30
im more interested in which codexs will be left out before 6th edition is created.

MajorWesJanson
20-10-2009, 23:36
My bets are on Tau after BA, and the Thunderhawk as the yearly big Apoc release.

Dexter099
21-10-2009, 03:50
It's Tyranids, Blood Angels (confirmed), and then Necrons or Dark Eldar. I want to say Crons at the end of '09, and Dark Eldar aren't supposed to come out until the beginning of 2011 at the earliest.

Juggalo
21-10-2009, 04:30
Ok here we go. We know, Tyranids will be released in January. Then something Fantasy. We know BA will be released but when? Then it will be anthour 40K codex, since it's SM, something else, SM, something else, or it seems to be like that. We also know that anthour SM book will be released also in 2010, so my question is, what will be released after BA? Let's just have a good old, guessing game, (wish listing aloud, were are here for fun) and let the guessing games begining.

Some ramblings that got me thinking.

Ok, I looked through, 5 pages and didn't see a what is the next codex coming out. I guess it burried more than 5 pages, but since I am still sick and getting dizzy, I will be logging off for a bit to rest the eyes. But I wanted to ask before I left.

So we know, that in 2010, it is suppose to be a fantasy year.

It was also said, if you thought SM were being released too much, then we have saw nothing yet. (guess part of that is the release LotD in January. 15 models if I read correctly)

We know, that Blood Angeles will be released in 2010, but don't know yet.

We know Tyranids will be released Jan 2010, (I think it was the 2nd or 3rd, sorry can't remember)

Harry said, BA are only half the story. After great speculation, it's not a AoD book at all. Harry even said after that the other half of the story is anthour SM book.

Brimstone said somewhere, that he didn't say they would be both released at the same time.

So from the statements of Harry and Brimstone, we know there will 2 SM codicies released in 2010.

Soooooooooooooooo, we know Tyranids in January. Not shure what is planned for February, I am guessing Fantasy, or Lord of the Rings. But havn't read anything in the LotR forums, so that is why I guess Fantasy. Maybe nothing.

It was rumoured BA in March, (then pushed back to a summer release.) From this I guess we can assume that BA will be released after Tyranids for a 40K release.

Then we will have anthour Fantasy release I guess again. Eventually it will be anthour 40K release, and then some LotR stuff and Fantasy again.

So since we know anthour SM will be released sometime in 2010, what could it be? BT and DA have been guess out from a certian GW employee's answer. The question was asked if he will smile or be sad for an upcoming BT release. He said he will be sad. So he is either sad, because the upcoming BT codex will be crap, (wich seeing how the latest codicies havn't been crap, BT should be good) so he is crying that it will not be released. Same for DA, too many other projects ahead of it.

It was also stated, Inquisitors or was it DH is ruled out as a release in 2010.

Sorry for blabbering. I am still sick, time to let my eyes rest. Hope to see some enlighting and entertaining comments when I come back online.

Hope you guys are having a better day than me.
Wow, that was a great example of stream of consciousness writing, where you said the same thing about 8 different ways. Well done. :P They must have some damn good cold medicine for ya.

Death Company
21-10-2009, 04:46
I hope the other "half of the story" is simply a ton of new models in regards to Marines.

PhergAthor
21-10-2009, 10:48
I hope the other "half of the story" is simply a ton of new models in regards to Marines.

My thoughts exactly. There will be no SM-codex in 2010 after nor before BA, just some chapter specific models. That's what I recon the hint of the Pie-man means.

I think it could well be Dark Eldar at the end of 2010. From the rumors we know there has been work done on them aprox for a year now. Some insiders have seen models and comment them to be awsome. There have been reports that some work has been done on the codex. Even if they are not ready with them NOW, that still gives them another year to get there. Nids and BA are fairly "easy" to make (in Warseer terms that is) and I recon they are both near finished. So the momentum is there for Dark Eldar to get completed.

Koris
21-10-2009, 12:10
im more interested in which codexs will be left out before 6th edition is created.

Necrons. From What Jervis has said, is likely to be Necrons if there is an army that doesn't get re-done in 5th.

Souleater
21-10-2009, 12:25
Both Inquisition forces are out, as no one is interested until they bring out Alien Hunters.

Maybe you aren't. I'd be more than interested in plastic Sisters and GK.

loveless
21-10-2009, 15:00
Both Inquisition forces are out, as no one is interested until they bring out Alien Hunters.

Frankly, I suggest we let the Ordo Xenos die from any thoughts of getting a standalone book. I always found them to be the most unengaging of the lot.

A Codex: Inquisition and a Codex: Ecclesiarchy would be a good split (or Codices named after their Chambers Militant).

Given hints dropped here, though, they aren't for 2010.

Max1mum
21-10-2009, 15:19
i would much rather just see one big massive 'codex inquisition'

Free up some 'armie space' for a new force to be added ;-).
And much more difersity when building and collecting a armie.

m00ndust
22-10-2009, 05:46
It's Tyranids, Blood Angels (confirmed), and then Necrons or Dark Eldar. I want to say Crons at the end of '09, and Dark Eldar aren't supposed to come out until the beginning of 2011 at the earliest.

Tyranids has been officially announced by Games Workshop... Where did you hear about an official confirmation of Blood Angels ??? ("on some Forum" won't cut it)

MajorWesJanson
22-10-2009, 07:03

Except they aren't dropping armies with books, leaving GKs and SoBs to get new books. Plus 2 books means twice the opportunities to sell models.

Deathwatch is already covered modelwise and rulewise. Sternguard, allied Inquisitor, Deathwatch shoulder pads for both termies and PA marines, paint them black and silver.

Tyranids has been officially announced by Games Workshop... Where did you hear about an official confirmation of Blood Angels ??? ("on some Forum" won't cut it)

On some forum...oh, I mean here at Warseer, from Harry. "Blood Angels are half the story"

radical ed
22-10-2009, 10:19
I think its gonna be the black templars. There was some rumours earlier, that seem to have stopped abruptly. There is a BT novel coming out soon. And out of all the marines options, after BA, BT is the easist to do: no major fluff changes, updated points costs, and repackage the already exsisting sprues, maybe add a new one(that can also be used by BA, a dedicated assualt sprue). Jobs done. easy peasy.
DA would be too hard, the last codex needs too much work to bring it back up par, there would need to be a brand new upgrade sprue, and a lot of the HQ models would need replacing or actually being made: which equals metal, and lots of cost.
Inquisition is in the same boat, major changes would need to be made, and lots of new models as everthing is currently in metal, again this equals massive costs.
DE and Crons agian the same. And starting a brand new faction is certianly not going to happen.

So, and i may be wrong, and kinda hope i am, BT it is......

PhergAthor
22-10-2009, 12:15
What bothers me is the fact that everybody seems to think GW does not work any more unless it is a "quick-fix". I can understand that while working on something BIG (like a complete overhaul of an army) they combine it with an easy to do job, just to ensure the work gets done.

So if GW bought itselfs some time with releasing "easier-to-do" codici, it means something awsome and BIG is following up.

genestealer_baldric
22-10-2009, 12:19
i thought 2010 was surposed to be a xeno heavy year not another imperial one, so i think tau will be out nxt year.

Souleater
22-10-2009, 12:46

IIRC they BA were confirmed by one of the Studio staff at GD Italy.

So...semi-offically....? :)

Brucopeloso
22-10-2009, 12:55
i thought 2010 was surposed to be a xeno heavy year not another imperial one, so i think tau will be out nxt year.

It has one xeno codex and only one SM codex confirmed so far so it is a Xeno year :rolleyes:

Seriously though the 40K universe is really getting stale

Gaargod
22-10-2009, 13:15
GW feel they need a whole new reason d'etra (sp).

raison d'etre (with the crazy circumflesx - arrow - accent on the first e.

Random bit of french gcse ftw!

On topic:

Most current rumours point to a large amount of fantasy minis summer 2010 - a lot of 2nd waves combined, especially with a lot of cav. Otherwise, there's at least 2, possibly even 3, fantasy books meant to be coming out. 2010 is meant to be a fantasy year for a reason, so i'd be suprised if we saw more than 3 40k books.
I could well be wrong though.

HsojVvad
22-10-2009, 13:32
Wow, that was a great example of stream of consciousness writing, where you said the same thing about 8 different ways. Well done. :P They must have some damn good cold medicine for ya.

I think my problem is, is that I am not taking any medicine. Maybe I should start. Know of anything I should be taking? :p

loveless
22-10-2009, 14:43
It has one xeno codex and only one SM codex confirmed so far so it is a Xeno year :rolleyes:

In what, the first quarter or first third of the year? There's plenty of room for more Xenos releases - Xenos just happen to be a minority in the army distribution of 40K.

Seriously though the 40K universe is really getting stale

Definitely stay away from Fantasy if you think that 40K is getting stale.

Koris
22-10-2009, 15:34
raison d'etre (with the crazy circumflesx - arrow - accent on the first e.

Random bit of french gcse ftw!

Danke schon.

GCSE German for me!

Thanks though.

Oh yeah, and stuff is coming out... Inquisition fo sho.

Brucopeloso
22-10-2009, 15:57
In what, the first quarter or first third of the year? There's plenty of room for more Xenos releases - Xenos just happen to be a minority in the army distribution of 40K.

Definitely stay away from Fantasy if you think that 40K is getting stale.

I really hope so, I mean more xenos releases would make me a very happy bunny as I am realy bored with marines. Is particularly galling to know that there are really useful kits out there and all they release is Legion of the Damned models.

My money however is on a two codex year: Nids and BA, with second waves for marines, guard and SW :rolleyes:

iNKayGee
22-10-2009, 17:17
Not sure if its been said but Ive heard about a Blood Raven 'dex. Or at least a SM chapter with more emphasis on librarians.

HsojVvad
04-12-2009, 01:45
Not sure if its been said but Ive heard about a Blood Raven 'dex. Or at least a SM chapter with more emphasis on librarians.

Do the Blood Raven use lots of Libbies? Never herd of them, where are they from? How new are they?

zendral
04-12-2009, 02:21
It's not Necrons, they're 2011 at the earliest, judging from what I was told at games day.
If I was a betting man I'd say 2010 looks like Tyranids, Blood Angels, Tau, Black Templar

According to brim and saying "only one has it right".Looking at all the posts previous to that comment I would say that marv has the most unique line-up. This may be it folks.

Bunnahabhain
04-12-2009, 02:28
Codex: All the damn marines , be they blue, green, vampires, werewolves or whatever in one book!

Realistically. Nids, Blood Angels and Tau.

Both BA and Tau require next to nothing in the way of new models, just new rules, so leaving them free for a sculptors flash of inspiration, hopefully better than thunderwolves.....

DuskRaider
04-12-2009, 02:43
Wow, man... A little old, don't you think? :p

GrimZAG
04-12-2009, 02:45
Do the Blood Raven use lots of Libbies? Never herd of them, where are they from? How new are they?

Have you ever played Dawn of War? They are a space marine chapter invented for this game who have an emphasis on 'Knowledge' and Infiltration, so they have more librarians than your average Librarium.

SteelTitan
04-12-2009, 09:52
According to brim and saying "only one has it right".Looking at all the posts previous to that comment I would say that marv has the most unique line-up. This may be it folks.

I was actually surprised to read through all these pages and no one really responding to what Brim confirmed something. Going back and seeing who said what would make the most sense, like you just did...more sense than another 3 pages of random wishlisting anyway :p

Of course, wishlisting is always fun but i personally like to stick to what has been confirmed (confirmed as in basing it on the cruel cruel games brim and harry play with our minds).

I am actually surprised by how often Tau pops up as a potential release. If only GW would adopt all the designs from FW instead of their own cube-shaped battlesuits, I might be interested in starting a Tau army, but as they are now, no thanks. But anyway, considering other interesting things GW could do, Tau does not strike me as one...they have been released too often in the past :P just like Eldar...of course, this totally disregards the buniness side of things.

But enough ranting, back to "facts".

It's funny that despite all the hints we got from Brim and Harry, we still haven't put it together to any sort-of-confirmation beyond Tyranids...and they are confirmed by GW...that is kinda sad.

As it stands, not even BA is a sure thing. BT were somewhere hinted at as the "black army ship-bound, gothic something" ... cant remember the exact words but something in that direction...so that was more or less confirmed, but somehow got discomfired again? I think it was Nicka who said it would be a fleet-based chapter...

Harry said this in another thread:

So now ask yourself about the Sisters and Grey Knights .... currently all metal armies and thus needing a lot of plastic .... Yes, work is started but I am not sure we can realistically hope to see them next year. 2011 is probably more likely but I don't think it will be as long as 2012 either.

So no need to bring them up again.

Also

There is still some work to do on Dark Eldar models despite lots of stuff already being finished. So these guys are still not set in stone but I would guess they are still over a year away.

So that pretty much puts Dark Eldar beyond 2010.

Also there was a mentioning of Necrons by Harry that [a lot of time line discussion here about 12 and 18 month windows] that they were soon but not as soon as the summer...so maybe last release 2010?

Funny how little we know :P

gwarsh41
04-12-2009, 16:57
They will throw in from left field, chaos daemons!

.... I can dream right?

DoomedFuture
04-12-2009, 17:28
Since the hints were that it will be fleet based SM, I am guessing Black Legion.

Hopefully it will be Chaos Legions, based on the fact that they are fleet based while doing the Black Crusades. A Black Legion codex would not be good at this point.

Purge the Heretic
04-12-2009, 17:36
Based upon a number of hints from Brim and Harry, and what we "know" already,
Marv is Correct, at least as far as

Tyranids, BA, Tau, (BT are what I suspect but I'm not sure.)

Tyranids we know, BA...almost confirmed,

Harry was "Drone"ing on about the release after that...so tau.

I don't believe Harry or Brim ever denied that BT was after that, However harry has repeatedly attempted to squash plastic T-hawk rumors, though he stopped those efforts a few months ago.

We "know" its space marine related, the best candidates based on previous rumors (see approximately 6 months ago) seem to be BT or a chaos legion or two.

**UPDATE**
Post by Brim from Dakka

"Anyway don't expect a MiB codex anytime in the next few years. " Men in black? Is that the Templars or the inquisition, xenos hunters?, both were being discussed in the thread. here.
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/30/268245.page

HsojVvad
04-12-2009, 17:47
Have you ever played Dawn of War? They are a space marine chapter invented for this game who have an emphasis on 'Knowledge' and Infiltration, so they have more librarians than your average Librarium.

I have never played Dawn of War. I have herd of it, but never played it and didn't know the name of the chapter in there. Thanks for letting me know.

Hadafix
04-12-2009, 18:21
BT seem to be locked in a paradox imo. GD Spain rumours were that the Codex was all but done, GD Italy rumours that they wont be for a long time, and Brimstone last month "that they are sooner than you think" has left things just spinney with them.

Tau, well fine, an easy update and something for the xeno fans. And its another "shooty" army. But Eldar would also fit this.

Given what Brimstone said back a few pages, Tau the BT would be what I place may bets on.

If I was wish listing, then I would say DE and Necrons just to stop the crying. Or some kind of Chaos Codex that undid the crap that Gav dished out. BTW according to his little blog about C:CSM back some time ago, C:Chaos Legions was in the pipeline back then but never released. But I would hope of a Lost and the Damned type codex from the Chaos side, the last one was far more fun than anything else since imo, but very unlikely.

The "Loyalist" Marines all really need to be brought up to date, they share a lot of the same stuff, but it doesnt work the same in older codices compared to the 5ed ones, once this is done, then everything else is easy.

owen matthew
04-12-2009, 19:17
Is there really support to the notion Tau is coming back in 2010? Amazing. I hope they do not treat it as a simple tweak and update, and really use the opportunity to redevelop the army, and fix it. Unlike Necrons, it really does not suck beacuse the transition from 4th to 5th was hard on it, it just really did not perform well in general.

creepyal
04-12-2009, 19:20
Bring on the next Necron codex. That's what I would like to see.

HsojVvad
04-12-2009, 19:37
Is there really support to the notion Tau is coming back in 2010?

Just going by speculation and elimination of everything else. Since it was said, that DE and Necrons are still a way off, I see them 2011 the earliest. Being rewriting the fluff for them both, and espically DE needing new models.

Also with rumblings, that Forge World is trying to release it's stuff when a new codex comes out, I believe FW is releasing a few things for Tau soon, so that could co-inside with a release of a new Tau codex, but not shure.

To me it would look like a quick fix, unless GW actually did take time to do the Tau codex this time around. Havn't gotten the release of the latest Tau codex, but from what some people say, it was just a quick release quick fix up for 4th. Here is hoping that it won't be.

stormwrath
04-12-2009, 19:48
A new Necron codex is way overdue. Since the 5th edition my Necron army has been slumbering in the closet.

Darthvegeta800
04-12-2009, 20:59

As long as I can still make a good and fun 'pure' GK list and no existing units are dropped, I don't mind them putting Daemonhunters, Witchhunters and even Alienhunters in the same codex.

Hadafix
05-12-2009, 01:39
MiB = Ordos Xenos imo, given the similarity between the two. Both hunt Aliens and that kind of thing.

Kriegfreak
05-12-2009, 01:47
Space Ogres, Squats, Space Skaven, and 3 different Marine Chapters - Black Templars, Salamanders, and Rainbow Warriors. FW releases rules for Hello Kitty dreadnoughts to coincide with release.

That's my guess.

But I'd rather see (realistically anyways) Nids, Blood Angels, Necron, Dark Eldar.

-=Lazuli=-
05-12-2009, 03:07
Probably Eldar. That guy in Tale of 4 gamers lent his army to playtesters...

SteelTitan
05-12-2009, 14:12
Well, I shouldnt even care which army comes out in 2010...Nids in January ensures me a year-work at least...still, I will jump through the roof if Codex Chaos Legions is released in 2010. Not doing anything with this has been GWs biggest flaw to date, especially if you consider all the seperate codici for marine armies.

I wonder, considering how good the rules are for 5th edition, why GW just not stop for a few years releasing new editions and brings all current books up to date with 5th first...

Leth Shyish'phak
05-12-2009, 14:53
Because everyone buys the new main rule book and its an excuse for a new Codex: Space Marines.

HsojVvad
05-12-2009, 17:38
Well, I was on the rumours news forums and just saw Battle Missions coming out in March. I guess this could throw a wrench into our guess now.

So now we have:
Tyrnaids in January,
Battle Missions in March,
BA in April-July???
Tau??? Sept-Nov???
BT if all goes well for a 4th codex Oct-Dec???

The Ginger Ninja
05-12-2009, 21:18
I will get so mad if they don't release a necron codex in 2010, i probally sound like a little kid here, but we need one, along with DE Etc...

chaos0xomega
05-12-2009, 23:08
Tau are soonish.
Brim said something in another post.
ehehe.
It wouldn't surprise me if '2010 is teh year for fantasy' simply because there's a number of easy codex to do. Blood angels are fairly easy, there was also a rumor floating around that it's already done. Tau are another such one of these. Very few changes are required to make the codex work much better in fifth. I guess you could also pick any of the other codex that require "X = Y" and "A = B" and now you can stomp the enemies, for the greater good, emperor, skulls for the skull throne, etc etc etc.
I'm too tired to put such candidates into a list. But it'd prolly involve Eldar, too.

They cant do this to Tau AGAIN. They already did it once, I think we deserve a full codex development cycle like the other races get, instead of an abbreviated half-assed one.

Anyway, Im thinking we should start a "Brimstone watch". I'm thinking a blog or something, where we can keep track of all of Brimstone, Harry, and others cryptic comments in one place.

Gensuke626
06-12-2009, 01:45
Just a thought...someone said that BA were half the story.

Has anyone suggested the idea of GW doing a combo DA and BA codex like 2nd Ed's "Angels of Death" codex?

Frep
06-12-2009, 05:15
The idea was suggested, Harry shot it down though. My bet the "second half of the story" is Black Templars as we have already had hints of a "fleet based chapter." Based on this my theory for next year is tyranids (duh), Blood Angles/Black Templars release, 40k mission books (confirmed) and the Tau being released either very late 2010 or very early 2011.

SteelTitan
06-12-2009, 07:53
Wouldnt it make more sense for Tau to be between BA and BT? Have there ever been two consecutive marine dexes?

Typhus' death guard is fleet based :rolleyes:

gendoikari87
08-12-2009, 12:08
So Brimstone and others. Are we going to be seeing a codex in SEPTember.

Also, I really would like to see the tau worked on nicely, not just quickly redone. That's what they did with them last time. So the codex isn't much changed from the first edition. Which is still younger than the DE/Necrons.

williamhm
08-12-2009, 12:44
I really want to see dark eldar get an update, if they do that will definitley be my next army.

Dudeguy1235
08-12-2009, 16:15
DE for 2010!!

Luisjoey
08-12-2009, 16:32
None of the SM that have character in space marines codex would get a codex, because they are already cover by that codex.

Blood ravens could be a good guess, but i think is enough marines for now

my guess would be necrons (even that i would like dark eldars) but necrons need a real fill up.

williamhm
08-12-2009, 16:52
None of the SM that have character in space marines codex would get a codex, because they are already cover by that codex.

Blood ravens could be a good guess, but i think is enough marines for now

my guess would be necrons (even that i would like dark eldars) but necrons need a real fill up.

My heart bleeds. Last eddition necrons destroyed vechicles left and right, I dont really care that they got a little bit weaker. They really are a rather boring army to play too, which does indicate that they need a new codex but I want to see dark eldar before necrons, and please after BA no more space marines, at least until some of the chaos chapters are detailed.

ogretyrant
08-12-2009, 18:48
I would love to see a SM chapter thats not based on cc like the DA, if its the BT i would not be :)

Luisjoey
08-12-2009, 19:43
My heart bleeds. Last eddition necrons destroyed vechicles left and right, I dont really care that they got a little bit weaker. They really are a rather boring army to play too, which does indicate that they need a new codex but I want to see dark eldar before necrons, and please after BA no more space marines, at least until some of the chaos chapters are detailed.

I do agree dark eldar should come first...10 years of wait! is a nice concept and they look great... but... is GW

the necrons is boring to play, needs more variety of creatures and troop options. maybe somo area powers and a couple of new mechanics; the obelisk should come as a new vehicle.

hope to see new dex!

Gensuke626
08-12-2009, 21:03
Dark Eldar should not come first. Dark Eldar should be released when their codex is ready to be released. I don't want to see a subpar DE codex released to fans after 10 years of waiting just because the fans demanded it. The amount of whining would be mind shattering.

CrownAxe
08-12-2009, 21:07
I say its Blood Ravens (DoWII chapter)

Already an existing rumor for them
Can easily be fleet based being a new codex
Being "blood" can partner well with BA
Being "ravens" they'll be "flapping" its way to being the other 1/2 of the story

Brimstone
08-12-2009, 21:13
DE for 2010!!

Very possibly or very possibly Necrons.

DeadlySquirrel
08-12-2009, 21:33
Ive heard that it will not be a xenos, but thats about it.

I have however heard they may be releasing an update to necromunda or something.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
08-12-2009, 21:47
Very possibly or very possibly Necrons.

HubaWHAT?

And here I was thinking DE and Necrons would be 2011 at least. Either Brimstone is messing with us (very possible) or one of these two epically outdated armies could be seeing a face lift.

Brimstone
08-12-2009, 21:53
HubaWHAT?

And here I was thinking DE and Necrons would be 2011 at least. Either Brimstone is messing with us (very possible) or one of these two epically outdated armies could be seeing a face lift.

I'm not messing with you, both are due for release but only one in 2010.

Chucklemoney
08-12-2009, 21:56
Ok, so now I am likely to get hugely excited, and then frustrated when it turns out to Necron's.

Still, both being due for release can only be excellent news.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
08-12-2009, 21:58

Well so much for the Tyranid/Blood Angel/Tau/Black Templar theory then. :D Guess it's time to start another round of humorous speculation! My money's on the DE, we've simply seen and heard more about them then the Necrons.

Tyco
08-12-2009, 22:01
Necrons or DE? Both I like very much, yet we"ve been waiting for so long for some new decent DE models and bits of quality fluff... Necrons already have that, so if both are due for release, I would vouch for DE.

After that Relic can add them in a second expansion for Dawn of War 2 ;-)

SPYDER68
08-12-2009, 22:04

So does that mean no chance of Black Templars ?

That would make 4x 40k releases..

Tyranids
Mission Book
Blood Angels
Necrons or Dark Eldar

Lowmans
08-12-2009, 22:05
well, we know Nids are on the way.

I think if we get another Tau book before either DE or Necrons I'll quit 40K.

Brimstone
08-12-2009, 22:11
Well so much for the Tyranid/Blood Angel/Tau/Black Templar theory then. :D Guess it's time to start another round of humorous speculation! My money's on the DE, we've simply seen and heard more about them then the Necrons.

It would be inadvisable to assume that.

Tyco
08-12-2009, 22:13
What exactly have we seen more for DE (other then some new artwork in the rulebook)?

Souleater
08-12-2009, 22:17
Well, a test Haemie sculpt, the new artwork in the MRB, and IIRC a jetbike.

I.e. nothing really concrete but since we haven't much of anything at all about 'Crons...still more than the Tin 'Eads.

However, Jes did mention his work on the DE models in a podcast several months ago so we knowlessmen are at least aware they are being worked on.

If Necron gets some loving like the Nids have (some very nice new units and resculpts) it will make it easier for me to wait on the Dark Eldar.

As Gensuke626 said above, GW need to get the DE right this time. If that means we have to wait until 2011 then I'll wait rather then see GW fumble them trying to 'rush' them out.

However, just because we've seen a few bits it doesn't mean that DE are nearing readiness for release or that GW thinks that 2010 is a good time to release them.

SteelTitan
08-12-2009, 22:58
I think whatever Brim says is quiet clear. It is either gonna be necrons or dark eldar, depending on how game development goes. Might not be set in stone which one will be first.

Thanks btw Brim for that info! =D

So thats Nids/BA/.../DE or Necrons.

I dont know where the Tau theory came from nor has it been confirmed. I think BT have also been disconfirmed.

-IronWarrior-
08-12-2009, 23:58
Chaos got screwed with there book. It's competitive but doesn't give the traitor legions credit. GW already said that current book was built for renegades.

Some Traitor Legion books would be nice. Im fearful tho cause the Dark Angel & Black Templar books blow

Beast
09-12-2009, 00:01
I was told today, by a manager, make of it what you will, that the Dark Eldar book has been done but the minis they had were not up to scratch so thats why they have been put back.
Also, he said that the Beastmen would be febs releases and in March would come a certain, metallic Skeleton army!!
then in May, another Fantasy rule set, or a 1.5 version.....

But, who knows eh?

Andy

Purge the Heretic
09-12-2009, 02:29
Tau was extrapolated from Harry. here is the post from page 12 of the bolter and chainsword rumor thread.

From Harry:

Big Red over at bols gets most of his rumours here as far as I can tell.

It is possible they could sneek DE in by the end of next year? There is still about a years work to do on the models so I guess that is doable if plastic production was already in full swing by the time they finished the models.

However, if they do it will not be a 4th codex as he suggests. It would be 5th or even 6th.:eek:

There is lots of other stuff for us to drone on about before this.:D

Drones mean either tau...or necrons if one goes outside the 40k usage of the word.

Ozybonza
09-12-2009, 03:18
Pretty sure that means Tau.... I wonder if that's supposed to be #3 or #4?

Nids/BA/Tau/BT or DA (Probably BT)/DE would fit the SM/not SM pattern and would be in line with all previous tidbits of information ("fleet based marines" etc).

SlightlyEstranged
09-12-2009, 03:26
With so many conflicting hints from both Harry and Brimstone the last codex (if we are thinking 3) is either

BT fleet based Marines

DA again Fleet based with winging it's way for death and raven wings

Tau droning on. . . need I say more?

DE In developement and Brimstone said possible

Necrons again in developement and Brimstone said possible

If I missed any sorry, but I am a little tired as of right this instant

-Have a nice Day!

chaos0xomega
09-12-2009, 03:50
ever consider that he was just using a figure of speech, and that he wasn't actually hinting at Tau?

SlightlyEstranged
09-12-2009, 03:54
It is more than possible. Then again about half of what the two of them have said in the past could be taken this way.

On topic
Nids-Jan
Missions book-March
BA-April/may
Tau/Necrons/DE- Sept/Oct?
BT/DA- Nov/Dec/Early 2011?

My guess it's possible to flip the 3rd and fourth grouping though

Purge the Heretic
09-12-2009, 04:15
Don't forget, Up to this point, GW has avoided big Fantasy Releases at the same time as big 40k releases, and I've heard Beast of chaos, Ogre kingdoms, and 8th edition at least, so unless they change their minds about that, those need to figure in there somewhere.

SlightlyEstranged
09-12-2009, 06:48
Feb- Ogre?
June/July/August for eight edition?

Havarel
09-12-2009, 07:34
I'm surprised that no-one has seriously considered Dark Angels.

The codex is in need of an update (haven't we whined enough about it??), they are the natural 'other half' with BA and would be relatively easy to update.

Beast
09-12-2009, 07:57
Warhammer 7.5 out in May/June time, more of a streamlining of the rules than a total change and Necrons March/April

Brimstone
09-12-2009, 08:13

The codex is in need of an update (haven't we whined enough about it??), they are the natural 'other half' with BA and would be relatively easy to update.

No Dark Angels currently scheduled.

Vaktathi
09-12-2009, 08:26

Except they are only what, 2 and a half years old? The Eldar codex is older than them, and the Orks only came out like 8 months after that.

SteelTitan
09-12-2009, 08:35
No Dark Angels currently scheduled.

I was just about to say that...it has been said before.

Hmm, have there been any december releases? Was skaven an official release in december? If so, I would say DE or Necrons in December. From a marketing perspective, we could maybe see DE in january instead if they expect a mass run on them and thus combine it with Xmas vouchers, like with Tyranids now.

To continue with this:

Nids - January
Feb - Beastmen
March - Mission Book
April - BA
May -
June -
July - Tau
August -
September -
October - BT
November -
Dec - DE

That makes for a nice and crowded 40k year, next to the notion that 2010 will be a fantasy year :) Im not familiar with their rumoured releases so don't know where to put them.

Xelloss
09-12-2009, 09:19
Dec - DE

Don't GW usually release nothing in December with Christmas ?

SteelTitan
09-12-2009, 10:50
Yes, that is what i said earlier in the same post. IIRC skaven was a november release...so then Eldar/Necrons either move to nov or jan.

gendoikari87
09-12-2009, 11:05
I was just about to say that...it has been said before.

Hmm, have there been any december releases? Was skaven an official release in december? If so, I would say DE or Necrons in December. From a marketing perspective, we could maybe see DE in january instead if they expect a mass run on them and thus combine it with Xmas vouchers, like with Tyranids now.

To continue with this:

Nids - January
Feb - Beastmen
March - Mission Book
April - BA
May -
June -
July - Tau
August -
September -
October - BT
November -
Dec - DE

That makes for a nice and crowded 40k year, next to the notion that 2010 will be a fantasy year :) Im not familiar with their rumoured releases so don't know where to put them.
I don't think we'll be seeing a Tau release for july now knowing how GW loves puns. we could very well have a SEPTember release.

OR

TAUgust

OcTAUber

apRAIL (2011)

AUN'gust

Shas O'ctober

Anardakil
09-12-2009, 11:43
Haha good one :D

Hmm I think it will be Chaos. Chaos Legions or just a new chaos dex :)

arachnid
09-12-2009, 13:16
Seeing as there are a load of fantasy stuff planned i'll wager that any 40k codices done in 2010 past nids are gonna be the 'quick' rehash type, like blood angels. (barring necrons ofc)

40k is getting some other stuff in 2010 with the mission book, more terrain and second waves of the 2009 releases, so, again, i'll guess at a max of 3 codices and a bunch of models done for 40k in 2010.

following up on steelTitan's list:

Nids - January
Feb - Beastmen
March - Mission Book
April - BA
May - Tomb kings
June - "hobby releases"
July - Necrons
August - Ogre kingdoms
September - more hobby stuff
October - Tau
November - Maybe a merged inquisition book.
Dec - Nada

The new edition of fantasy is rumoured sometime in 2010 as well, which will push everything around a bit. (if it's true)

All just quesswork based on rumours though.

SteelTitan
09-12-2009, 13:40
Sounds like a good list although it might underemphasis fantasy considering it will be their year. Tomb Kings and Ogre Kingdoms are rumoured too, good that u included them too to get a better overview.

I don't see Necrons that early if we are to believe harry and brim. The inquisition books are also unlikely according to rumours.

And Chaos books, yes please!

belgiumfire
09-12-2009, 13:48
please tau, please tau
It serves the greater good :D

Koris
09-12-2009, 13:54
Don't forget, Up to this point, GW has avoided big Fantasy Releases at the same time as big 40k releases, and I've heard Beast of chaos, Ogre kingdoms, and 8th edition at least, so unless they change their minds about that, those need to figure in there somewhere.

As well as an Apocalypse Month I would think. There has been one for the past 2 years.
Last year we had the stompa and the shadowsword out at the same time.
So I would have thought such a popular release would mean there would be another Super Heavy month.
If that spells plastic thunderhawk to you then so be it. I would be inclined to disagree, but I think an Apoc release month, not with a codex, is a high possibility.
That would be another month gone on the release schedule.

Koris
09-12-2009, 13:57
Seeing as there are a load of fantasy stuff planned i'll wager that any 40k codices done in 2010 past nids are gonna be the 'quick' rehash type, like blood angels. (barring necrons ofc)

40k is getting some other stuff in 2010 with the mission book, more terrain and second waves of the 2009 releases, so, again, i'll guess at a max of 3 codices and a bunch of models done for 40k in 2010.

following up on steelTitan's list:

Nids - January
Feb - Beastmen
March - Mission Book
April - BA
May - Tomb kings
June - "hobby releases"
July - Necrons
August - Ogre kingdoms
September - more hobby stuff
October - Tau
November - Maybe a merged inquisition book.
Dec - Nada

The new edition of fantasy is rumoured sometime in 2010 as well, which will push everything around a bit. (if it's true)

All just quesswork based on rumours though.

So no LOTR releases this year at all?! At least one month will be a for a LOTR/WOTR release surely?
As I have previously stated I hear that codex Inquisition (all 3 factions!!) is on the cards. Apparently the sprues for the plastic grey knights are done.

Worsle
09-12-2009, 14:22
So no LOTR releases this year at all?! At least one month will be a for a LOTR/WOTR release surely?
As I have previously stated I hear that codex Inquisition (all 3 factions!!) is on the cards. Apparently the sprues for the plastic grey knights are done.

Given repeated hints from Brimstone and Harry have said the complete oposite I would not bet on this at all. Really it will be codex: grey knights and codex: sisters of battle when they come out. This has been repeated to many times for a single codex to seem at all likely.

Brucopeloso
09-12-2009, 15:41

Thank you! That made my day! :D:):D
I'm hoping for DE but Necrons would make me a very happy bunny as well

JIJU
09-12-2009, 21:33
Im thinking its time for a new "race". A Mechanicus Codex would be cool or why not squat or what theyre called these days. I just finished reading Dan Abnetts Titanucus and I just have to say what a great book! The Adeptus Mechanicus a hard as nails and would make an interesting codex. Im not guessing as much as hoping..

SteelTitan
09-12-2009, 22:56
What? We don't need another codex? GW can't even support the current range with enough attention.

Arvendragon
10-12-2009, 01:14
Of course, its the release of the Squats again.

Or the Zoats.