PDA

View Full Version : Space Hulk, Worth It?

Caiphas Cain
20-10-2009, 03:15
Hey fellow Warseerites, I just bought Space Hulk on Amazon for 160$.

Is the game really worth it?

I have played several games so far, and all have been great fun, but for 160$, I am starting to have second thoughts. What do you guys/girls think?

Any and all comments are welcome.

starlight
20-10-2009, 03:23
Value is relative. If you get $160 out of your read/build/play time with it, then it will have been worth it.

So far I haven't played my set enough to say that it was *worth it* yet, but I don't regret buying it since I plan to enjoy it for some time...

If you put it up against renting a DVD for $5 per watching, then you'd need to play Space Hulk 32 times to get a *comparable* level of value (if the two were comparable), excluding any enjoyment you got from the reading/building/messing around aspects. So play it once a week for the next 32 weeks and get back to us. :p

Hellfury
20-10-2009, 06:41
I am pretty biased in favor of space hulk, so keep that in mind when reading my post.

While it is expensive even at its original MSRP of $100, I personally would have paid twice that much just to own it, especially with how well they had done this.

But as starlight has said, it is relative.

The reason why I view it worth a higher price is because for me, I enjoy the idea behind the game that it is based on, and that is the Aliens movie franchise. I dig it to death. I think GW did too, obviously.

There is a lot of potential behind the game for so many ways to play it, even though GW has said that they wont support it in the future. The mechanics are pretty solid. As long as the mission is designed well, the mechanics shine through. This is reason enough to pay a high price for a game. The only real drawback to the game is that it involves dice. Dice create a fundamental flaw in games in that it relies ultimately on chance to resolve the game. Tactics help of course, but ultimately...its random chance.

Still, even given this minor flaw...its a whole lot of fun and I hope that everyone who enjoys boardgames gets a chance to play space hulk at least once in their lives.

If your still on the fence about whether its worth paying $160 for the game, think of it this way. Before the 3rd ed came out, you would typically pay an average of $200 for a used copy of space hulk on ebay, and (depending on your personal aesthetics) the 3rd ed is a lot more attractive visually, while nearly getting the deathwing expansion along with the deal. ;)

I really think GW needs to put out a mission/additional rules supplement, but the gaming community is doing a good job of filling in the gap where GW dropped the ball.

starlight
20-10-2009, 06:46
GW didn't drop the ball, they knew that the community would fill in any perceived gaps at no cost to them, so *on purpose* they didn't bother expending additional effort for minimal return when someone else did it for free.

Hellfury
20-10-2009, 07:36
GW didn't drop the ball, they knew that the community would fill in any perceived gaps at no cost to them, so *on purpose* they didn't bother expending additional effort for minimal return when someone else did it for free.

Oh I realize the logic, but obversely, they could have made money by publishing a body of work similar to the "Space Hulk Campaigns Book" type of publication. To not do so goes against the previously widely perceived business model that GW is so (in)famously known for. Viewed in this way from a business standpoint, they most certainly did drop the ball so to speak.

Personally, in many ways I think that they made the right choice by not choosing to support it. The reason being is that it stands on its own merits as a complete game. This makes the IP for Space Hulk worth much much more if and when GW decides to allow another company to reproduce it in the future because it wasn't fouled up with an expansion that might have been a bit sour such as the case of the genestealer expansion.

So if GW do ever decide to release the game under a license to another company to produce it, then they made a wise choice by not committing to future support, but if they don't plan on doing that, then they have let their shareholders down by not trying to make more money for the short term.

While I think it is highly improbable that GW will ever allow another company to reproduce it, but they as always, reserve the right to do it or not and its always a possibility, no matter how weak that possibility may be.

Given the likelihood that GW will never license the Space Hulk IP to another company, I hold by my previous statement that GW dropped the ball.

Regardless, this line of thought leads only down the road of taking this thread off of the topic at hand, which is the question of buying Space Hulk at an obnoxiously increased price being worth the extra expenditure.

Znail
20-10-2009, 08:04
I dont think any such book realy makes them much money. They are essentialy losing money by releasing their codex and army books too. Its just that those they have to do to keep up the sales of minis.

BobtheInquisitor
21-10-2009, 09:44
I think it's worth it. My wife and I have played SH about 20 or 30 times, and we're still only up to level 4. She actually gets excited to play, and so do I, which is quite a rare achievement for a board game. The models are so nice that you can just enjoy painting them for your 40k games and still not feel ripped off. Personally, I think Space Hulk is a very successful game, if a bit stressful at times.

grissom2006
21-10-2009, 12:32
Well worth it i had it in the first edition and feel in love with it back then so to see it return is heaven sent. Shame GW has said it won't be supporting it though was kind of looking forward to the card cut outs that could of appeared with WD. Or even just a box set of extra tiles and booklet of maps/mission as a expansion would of been a sell out.

Nkari
21-10-2009, 15:29
Let me put it like this.. is it worth paying the money if your only going to play 10 times.. no.. if you will play 10-20-30 times over several years.. then yes.. =)

Dexter099
22-10-2009, 05:11
Personally, I put my money into BFG instead of Space Hulk. The $100 price tag for a board game just wasn't worth it, especially since my friends all have it.

nedius
22-10-2009, 08:47
I'd go for 'yes, definately'! as I was still playing with my 1st ed set before 3rd ed was released.

However, I can see that for some, it could not be. To be honest, the only place I play is my local GW on games nights, and they have their own copy anyway...

wilsongrahams
22-10-2009, 09:07
If you like scrabble, then I'd say no. If you also play other 40k games ,then it is a bargain,. If you only play Space hulk, then at only double the cost of Monopoly etc, as long as you play it twice as much then you will have your value out of it.

A painter/hobbyist/collector will get more from the game for the miniatures than somebody who will only ever play it with unpainted miniatures. As stated already, it is relative to what is your THING and whether you encompass everything the game can give to you.

Cpt. Drill
22-10-2009, 09:26
when I am looking to justify the money to be spent on something I often compare it to alcohol. 10-30 will pay for an entertaining evening out, Will space hulk provide me with 2-6 evenings entertainment. Definatly.

I have been pretty poor for a while and havent bought anything substantial from GW in a long time probably spent less than 50 there in the last three years. But space hulk is to good a game to miss, awesome models, awesome rules and emr awesome floor tiles?

WildAnimal
22-10-2009, 16:06
Why are Americans always complaining about boardgame prices? 100$ is nothing. really 100$ is nothing compared to how much an average payday is. I could buy 2x space hulk sets with the pay i get for working one day, AFTER taxes..

So come on!, i have heard Americans complain about 50$ board games, and how expensive that is! ofcourse if all Americans rate boardgame value/time used against renting old movies at Block buster, I can see there may be a problem.

But the human interaction in board games, is priceless. Watching movies is boring, so I can't really see this thing compared.
Maybe those people complaining should buy a computer game instead and play it for 100+ hours, sitting alone infront of your computer, really develops you life/personality :-) :-) :-) (sarcasm)

starlight
22-10-2009, 18:14
Because in America they have this thing called Wal~Mart, which has convinced them that they can get everything they want for the cheapest price possible. :( This has created a generation that is disconnected from the idea that *you get what you pay for*. :(

WildAnimal
22-10-2009, 21:06
This has created a generation that is disconnected from the idea that *you get what you pay for*. :(

This is the least of there problems i think, comparing the fun of sitting with your friends playing a great boardgame, to sitting and watching a stupid movie, maybe even alone i foolish. Games tend to develop your mind, creativity and such, even poker have this. besides the social aspect of playing a game with other people.
Renting movies and wasting time on seeing them, don't develop anything.

Maybe Americans just have grown to be very simple people, who only can content with simple entertainment, where they don't need to do anything at all.

Anyway boardgames in the price range 50-100$ are only expensive if you are to lazy to work.

starlight
22-10-2009, 22:03
I'll disagree with that last bit as being arrogant and egotistical. Try raising a family today and then think about your comments. I know plenty of people with families who have fairly substantial incomes, but still consider $100 a bit much to spend on a board game after all the rest of their expenses. :eyebrows:

grissom2006
22-10-2009, 22:14
Maybe Americans just have grown to be very simple people

This can be construed as exceptionally offensive.

starlight
22-10-2009, 22:27
But in the interests of keeping this out of P&R, we'll assume the best and carry on...

WildAnimal
23-10-2009, 00:49
Best intensions, i will let the matter rest. I can just say that Space Hulk is worth 100$ if you like playing boardgames. And its easy to get it sold on ebay if you don't like it.

AndrewGPaul
23-10-2009, 08:31
This can be construed as exceptionally offensive.

Only if you assume WildAnimal is not an American.

Caiphas Cain
24-10-2009, 01:25
Anyway boardgames in the price range 50-100$ are only expensive if you are to lazy to work.

Or are in school :rolleyes:

Not having a job does not necessarily mean lazyness.

KroSha
26-10-2009, 17:58
Try raising a family today and then think about your comments. I know plenty of people with families who have fairly substantial incomes, but still consider $100 a bit much to spend on a board game after all the rest of their expenses. :eyebrows:

Again, it depends on the usage they get out of it. How much does it cost to take the family to the movies? Or out for a birthday meal? If a copy of SH will keep 2 kids quiet and out of the way for a weekend (or even 1 evening) per month, then I can see value in it for parents.

I remember when I was a kid, my sister and I would play games of Talisman (2nd Ed.) that would last days during the holidays. My parents never complained about it being left on the floor because we were happy and occupied.

Llew
26-10-2009, 18:12
Only if you assume WildAnimal is not an American.

No. Offensive is offensive. It's just whether he's bashing his own country, or someone else's. Either way, it's offensive.

I would say that the larger issue in determining value is that intangibles like face-time with friends are not usually valued into a board game purchase. After all, you can have that even if you don't spend the money. In fact, I would say that anyone who calculated the face time into the cost of the unit got taken in by some pretty clever marketers.

Personally, I recently bought Space Hulk and am impressed with it. I'll probably get my first games in this Sunday. The quality of the miniatures is amazing. (And as someone who hates scraping mold lines, I have to say that there was some brilliant engineering in the molds because they managed to run a lot of them along seams and edges...less scraping for me is a win!) The components have a satisfying degree of finish and heft, and the rules seem, at first read, to offer a lot of fun in a simple game system.

I wouldn't have paid $160 for it, but that's just because I don't have an emotional connection to the game. Even so, I wouldn't think you were unreasonable if you found it to be worth that price. (But I still know where, as of 11PM Sunday, I could have gotten another one for retail price.)

CRasterImage
26-10-2009, 18:31
People, don't let WildAnimal troll you. Just ignore him.

sulla
27-10-2009, 21:25
Space hulk is worth it for the quality miniatures alone.

Sureshot05
04-11-2009, 11:48
As has been said, it's value is simply a personal thing.

So far I've played 11 games which have all been good fun (and the taunting afterwards is even better!).
I've spend an evening or two filling off mold lines, (i tend to do these in batches with other models and watching something so it's hard to judge exactly).
I've painted up one of the stealers (test model) and half way through the next four now I've settled on a scheme. That took an evening (whilst painting something else at the same time).
Now consider the value of two squads of terminators, 20 odd Genestealers, a terminator librarian and a Broodlord in terms of 40k games and model value.

These are just the value gained so far, long term there are so many more games and painting sessions to go. In particular, the fact I can play this game as an introduction to 40k which people are willing to play and can pick up fairly quickly which also helps draw in new players/victims.

arcane
22-11-2009, 15:31
Back to the Op's question. I reckon that even if you don't like it, provided you look after it you are going to get back AT LEAST what you paid for it if the e-bay 2nd hand values are anything to go by. ;)

HsojVvad
23-11-2009, 15:43
You paid $160 for it eh? Maybe a bit more than what I did, but you know what, at least you have it. You played a few games. How did you enjoy them? Did you have fun? Would have you have more fun if you went to the movies instead? Would you have had more fun with a dinner out? Or would you have had more fun if you bought a different game instead?

My wife loves Bingo. She can spend up to $80-$100 a nite out there. So in a 6 month span she can spend say $300. So for her, for a 2-4hours at bingo per session and played say 3 times, she spent $300 going 3 times in 6 months. She had a blast but she can't play no more because she had no money.

While yes you could say you paid a bit for it, and say you played 3 times in 6 months, you can play again and not worry about spending money on it again.

So if you want to compare if it was worth it to you, all you have to ask yourself is, do you have fun when you play it. If yes then it was worth it. Was it expensive? who cares you had fun playing it.

Put it this way. One person paid $25 for a movie. Anthour person paid $15 for a movie. Both enjoyed the movie immensly. Did the person who paid $15 had more fun than the person who paid $25? Maybe because he go it cheaper he enjoyed it more. But then again, the person who paid $25 for it, had more fun since he didn't have to drive half way across the city and wait in line to save the $10. Maybe the extra money he paid for was for convience and just getting it what was closet to him. So for him that $25 was well spent.

Remember you got it delevered to you. You didn't have to travel to get it. It took me an hours drive there, and hours drive back home to pick mine up. Would you travel over 2 hours and then spend an extra half hour in the store to save $60? So while I saved more money than you, you saved more time than me, and less wear and tear on my car. Don't think of it how much money you paid for. Just think was it money well spent.

Anthour case, I bought a game as soon as it came out and paid $80 for it, with taxes and all. And I played 100's of hours with it. And my son played 100's of hours with it. It was money well spent.

Anthour game came out, I waited over 6 months for the price to go down and the price never went down. So did I save any money in 6 months? No, I just wasted 6 months from not playing it.

In the end it dosn't matter how much you paid for it compared to others. All it matters is did you enjoy playing the game now. If yes, then it's money well spent. If not, then maybe you should sell it and try to take some money back if that is what is really important to you.

grg3d
23-11-2009, 19:29
I'm A Space hulk fan Big time it has always been "worth it"

The best part for me is the "Rules" no rule lawyering them to Death as their quite clear :D

arcane
23-11-2009, 22:08
I agree, this is a game that is easy to learn but dificult to master :)

Cln_kickass
25-11-2009, 19:54
darn the jammings :) excelent game i almost missed out and got mine for 100 (about $165 US) from ebay pretty much just for the blood angels models they look great.

Destructorn
08-12-2009, 05:18
I gotta say, it's totally worth it, it's a really, really beautiful game. And look, it lasts forever, y'know? My 20-year-old edition of Space Hulk has been played a ludicrous amount of times- I expect my kids to be playing this edition in 20 years time. $160 is a pretty damned fine investment for quality this good.

Znail
09-12-2009, 03:36
On the other hand so can you get it for $99 with free shipping as GW found a few extra copies that they sold on their site.

Pochtecatl
09-12-2009, 09:12
It's a fantastic game with really cool miniatures. But, the tiles, although great looking, are a bad design. Being as thick as they are and being made of layered cardboard they could (and probably will, eventually) de-laminate and warp.

Two of my tiles have already de-laminated (easy fix with wood glue but come on! it's only been a month with the game :mad:) and all of my rooms have developed severe warping (somewhat fixed with putting them under books, but again I shouldn't have had to do that). That's with the tiles being stored in the box in a humid/moisture free environment.

These problems should be non-existent for how much this game costs. The game would be worth if if the tiles were designed better, but from my experience, it should have cost less.

peculiar interloper
12-12-2009, 16:27
I could buy 2x space hulk sets with the pay i get for working one day, AFTER taxes..

are you a prostitute?

WildAnimal
12-12-2009, 16:51
No not really, i have a humble work in security.
I get payed 200 Danish Crowns an hour before tax.

Space Hulk is priced around 600 Danish crowns. And there was even on mail order shop who sold it for 480 danish crowns.

So a set of Space Hulk is worth a couple of hours work simply.

Photographer
13-12-2009, 13:17
I think so but one of my genestealers inexplicably broke their leg. That shouldn't have happened.

peculiar interloper
14-12-2009, 19:54
No not really, i have a humble work in security.
I get payed 200 Danish Crowns an hour before tax.

Space Hulk is priced around 600 Danish crowns. And there was even on mail order shop who sold it for 480 danish crowns.

So a set of Space Hulk is worth a couple of hours work simply.

Sir; your "I fit in my jacket, my jacket fits in a suitcase so I fit in a suitcase" logic is flawed!

I must say old boy, reconsidering what you've said and extrapolating it to my own situation I must capitulate. I earn a spacehulk box every 2 hours. A space hulk priced at 70 Euros that is. I've earned 4 today!

But for the non working lazy slackers 'round here, you know them "studying" type, I'd say: get working, spacehulk is worth your coin!!

peculiar interloper
14-12-2009, 19:55
I think so but one of my genestealers inexplicably broke their leg. That shouldn't have happened.

you sure brother Deino had nothing to do with it? Everyone knows you store your genestealers & bloodangels in seperate containers

WildAnimal
15-12-2009, 10:06
Sir; your "I fit in my jacket, my jacket fits in a suitcase so I fit in a suitcase" logic is flawed!

I must say old boy, reconsidering what you've said and extrapolating it to my own situation I must capitulate. I earn a spacehulk box every 2 hours. A space hulk priced at 70 Euros that is. I've earned 4 today!

But for the non working lazy slackers 'round here, you know them "studying" type, I'd say: get working, spacehulk is worth your coin!!

I agree, Its worth taking an extra day at work to get a copy of Space Hulk, anyway i hope the logic is that the slackers get a job to get some boardgames :-)

HaunterV
19-12-2009, 09:19
Hey fellow Warseerites, I just bought Space Hulk on Amazon for 160$.

Is the game really worth it?

I have played several games so far, and all have been great fun, but for 160$, I am starting to have second thoughts. What do you guys/girls think?

Any and all comments are welcome.

Ouch, 160$? crazy... Glad I landed one of the rediscovered boxes.

WhiteZombie
09-01-2010, 20:43
Really, when you consider how much the minis would cost on their own, and that most are unique sculpts, it is 'worth it' for the pieces alone ('worth it' in the case that mass-produced genestealer minis from 40k are 'worth' AU$5 a pop :skull:).

m1s1n
10-01-2010, 23:42
I don't play 40k, I've never been interested in playing 40k, and yet I bought Space Hulk on a total whim. I didn't exactly know what to expect from the game, but I thought it would be fun to paint up some non-Fantasy models without having to commit to playing 40k.

When I first played the game, I was not disappointed in the slightest. I've never played a board game that has had this kind of experience, where you really feel the constant pressure of the situation.

After having played the first mission a few times (and constantly watching the Marines lose at the same point), I began to fear that the game would routinely have the same outcome. However, I tried one of the later missions, and found it to be a significantly different game. The tactics and play-style was drastically changed from the previous encounters, and really defined Space Hulk as a more complete game than I had expected.

Patriarch
11-01-2010, 22:26
After having played the first mission a few times (and constantly watching the Marines lose at the same point), I began to fear that the game would routinely have the same outcome. However, I tried one of the later missions, and found it to be a significantly different game. The tactics and play-style was drastically changed from the previous encounters, and really defined Space Hulk as a more complete game than I had expected.
Glad you like it. I've played the first mission quite a few times recently as it's so quick to set up; although it is usually pretty close, the marines win it each time. This is without sustained on overwatch. We found the trick is to send a double team of sergeant and flamer around the "bent" corridor to the target room, and a third marine down the other (2 move & fire plus overwatch each turn). The 4th marine stays behind and guards the side corridor on overwatch. The last marine backs him up, or if not needed, backs up number 3 or takes long range pot shots.
Once the flamer marine gets a clear shot at the crossroads outside the room, it is usually fairly easy to block stealer progress into the area. A good burst of CPs allows him to rush around the corner and reach the room.