PDA

View Full Version : The mystery of the lost Skaven preview book!

xcomdk
20-10-2009, 17:05
So I went to my local GW store in Copenhagen (Denmark) to look at the Skaven preview book and miniatures.

Of cause I am jumped when I come in though the door, by one of the three employees (2 red shirts and 1 black shirt), no surprise there.

I ask to see the new Skaven miniatures, they all say something like: “They are not in yet”.
I go like: “huh?! I had the spures in my hand like 1½ weeks ago”
Black shirt said: “We don’t have them here, the guy who is going to assemble them and paint them has them at home so that he can assemble and paint them” then adds "He works in GW".

Then I ask to see the book, and they all say that they don’t have it yet, this is where I go “huh?!?” again. :wtf:
I tell them that the book came with the preview miniatures.

Then the Black shirt says: “They all got recalled, because of a printing error, we will get it later”.

Now last time I asked them about the book (when I saw the spures 1½ week ago) one of the red shirts said that the manager had it at home, so I am very confused here.

Have anyone else heard of the Skaven rulebook being recalled? Or did the Copenhagen Black shirt just lie to my face? :confused:

DarkWarrior1981
20-10-2009, 17:23
I heard the same thing.

Our local dealer got his preview pack which consists of clanrats and the doomwheel. Normaly he has the new armybook or codex as well but not this time. He also said that there are some issues with the printed book. From another store (this a GW store) I know that they only have a copy as a pdf which they printed out.

Infurion
20-10-2009, 17:24
StormBanner (One Use Only), anyone? :D

Ultimate Life Form
20-10-2009, 17:28
Proofreading...

Proofreading...

Ever heard of it, GW?:rolleyes:

Most companies do it BEFORE printing, probably because then you don't have to recall and trash all your books three weeks before release.

Really, the quality of GW army books is in serious decline. Looks like the plethora of spelling mistakes in the LM book was only the beginning...

(Proofreading, heck! Proofreading!!!!)

Lugburz
20-10-2009, 17:28
I actually dreamt last week that GW lied about the Hellpit Abomination, and in the final printing, it wasn't there. :O

That would be true evilness!

DarkTerror
20-10-2009, 17:48
Don't worry, the armybook will come back with all units being ItP, unbreakable, having magical attacks and a 5+ ward save.

Volrath
20-10-2009, 17:58
It's still sitting at my local shop...so who knows.

EviIPaladin
20-10-2009, 17:58
I'm glad; hopefully they will add some magic items that are worth taking and perhaps ensure that people don't twist words to be dicks.

-Evii

valdrog
20-10-2009, 18:23
The prob forgot to add the Rat-Tank with quad laser cannons capable of carrying 10 Rat Ogres in it.

Asp
20-10-2009, 18:34
and the ratling steam-wyrd powered F16 with scryre laser laser guided ordinance

N810
20-10-2009, 18:38
(slave only) 50pts

Thermonuclear warpstone device,
(single use)

all models within a 4' radius take a D6 S10 hits
with no armor, ward or regeneration saves.

mrtn
20-10-2009, 18:49
I heard the same thing.

Our local dealer got his preview pack which consists of clanrats and the doomwheel. Normaly he has the new armybook or codex as well but not this time. He also said that there are some issues with the printed book. From another store (this a GW store) I know that they only have a copy as a pdf which they printed out.

I've heard the same from my FLGS. I haven't bothered to ask GW Stockholm, though.

Goblin Gonads
20-10-2009, 21:44
GW stores are not letting people view the preview book unless they put a deposit down and order a copy! Was told by staff in store today. Just hope it isn't a taste of things to come!

Einholt
20-10-2009, 21:47
This is only going to make it more likely people start bootlegging their books... pure idiocy

loveless
20-10-2009, 21:48
GW stores are not letting people view the preview book unless they put a deposit down and order a copy! Was told by staff in store today. Just hope it isn't a taste of things to come!

That would just be funny. I know some staff members have been annoyed that people go and write summaries online for a new book, but I've never heard of anyone higher than a store manager complaining about it. (Now, complaining about seeing models is a different story.)

Even if they did implement this, they'd probably get fewer reserves, or the one dedicated player going up and taking mental notes with it so that everyone else could figure out if they wanted it.

Otherwise, people are just going to wait til it's on the shelf and view it then...or do they have that silly "We're going to put our books in plastic bags!" thing going on?

Supreme Archon Orlok
20-10-2009, 21:53
(slave only) 10pts

Thermonuclear warpstone device,
(you can take as many as you like)

all models within a 4' radius take a D6 S10 hits
with no armor, ward or regeneration saves.

I've changed it to make it more cheesy

Bac5665
21-10-2009, 00:16
That would just be funny. I know some staff members have been annoyed that people go and write summaries online for a new book, but I've never heard of anyone higher than a store manager complaining about it. (Now, complaining about seeing models is a different story.)

Even if they did implement this, they'd probably get fewer reserves, or the one dedicated player going up and taking mental notes with it so that everyone else could figure out if they wanted it.

Otherwise, people are just going to wait til it's on the shelf and view it then...or do they have that silly "We're going to put our books in plastic bags!" thing going on?

I don't understand GW's apparent belief that people will buy a warhammer army as an impulse buy. A 2250 army costs $350-400!! If their market is based on little kids begging for a clanrat box here, a stegadon there, holy crap, that's a bad business model.

outbreak
21-10-2009, 02:16
My Gw said if your lucky and the books out when your in you'll get a small look at it but if you want a proper read you have to preorder enough models.

decker_cky
21-10-2009, 02:57
I've been going in and sitting there for between half an hour and an hour a few times, and I haven't preordered the book from them.

Vermin-thing
21-10-2009, 06:45
Implamenting that preorder rule would just kill and obiterate any, and all sales of the book. Worse thing you could possibly do is make customers make a blind purchase.

Must be really poor district management.

I've had a looonnggg (long looks are very longgggggg) look through it, as well as fooling around with the new models. My not-so-local local gee-dub has already assembled their doomwheel, and clanrats.

Don't let gee-dub get away with this! Row row fight the powa! Simply tell them they their not getting any money unless you can take a look though.

I bet the misprint was Ikit claw being a hero choice instead of a lord. Someone else claimed that he was a hero, but as I checked the book today he is in fact a lord.

CraftworldsRus
21-10-2009, 06:51
They told me I had to pre-order to look over the book. I told them they lost a sale.

Vermin-thing
21-10-2009, 07:01
Next we'll have to buy the models in order to see what they look like. :cries:

Arjuna
21-10-2009, 08:23
My Gw said if your lucky and the books out when your in you'll get a small look at it but if you want a proper read you have to preorder enough models.

Hahahahahahahaha. I feel so bad for you guys. From this and 10,000 other ridiculous policies, insults to your intelligence and other inconveinences that you put up with from GW employees in the United Kingdom, I come to the following conclusion............

Not enough people in the UK own handguns and ammunition.:D

Steam_Giant
21-10-2009, 09:47
Hahahahahahahaha. I feel so bad for you guys. From this and 10,000 other ridiculous policies, insults to your intelligence and other inconveinences that you put up with from GW employees in the United Kingdom, I come to the following conclusion............

You're saying if i walk into GW with a loaded weapon i wont be inconvienenced !?

Thats great, i wonder if it will work in my bank :rolleyes:

On topic: I think GW are within their rights to stop folks previewing their new books. You dont get away with it in newsagents, ("Buy it or get out" is the usual response)

Seth the Dark
21-10-2009, 10:12
GW should just have preview copies of books that are not the complete thing. Perhaps some stats here and there with some other teasers but outright refusing to let people have a sneak peak is a little bit crazy.

Condottiere
21-10-2009, 10:19
It's self-defeating. I'd probably just wait for someone else in my circle to buy it sight unseen, then borrow it and see if it's worthwhile getting. At this time, I'd be biased against purchasing it, so it would really have to be outstanding to make it worth my while.

Gimp
21-10-2009, 10:52
Don't worry, the armybook will come back with all units being ItP, unbreakable, having magical attacks and a 5+ ward save.

For a second there I was like not even GW would release such a broken list. And then I remembered...

Unuhexium
21-10-2009, 11:02
All this secrecy and repressive buy-to-see-the-book-we-haven't-proofread sounds like GW has been bought by Microsoft. Soon we'll have to buy the bases and get the rest of the models in servicepacks.

Aurellis
21-10-2009, 11:02
For a second there I was like not even GW would release such a broken list. And then I remembered...

I had the same thought :(

I have high hopes for the new Skaven book though.

Condottiere
21-10-2009, 11:32
All this secrecy and repressive buy-to-see-the-book-we-haven't-proofread sounds like GW has been bought by Microsoft. Soon we'll have to buy the bases and get the rest of the models in servicepacks.I always thought of FAQs as service packs (with bugs).

Unuhexium
21-10-2009, 11:42
I always thought of FAQs as service packs (with bugs).

Yup... that's good ol' Microsoft alright.

Warhammer the Linux way: A book with 350 blank pages except the first one which says "This game is based on D6, inces and everything is between 1 and 10"

Sorry for the OT, I just had to. =P

Ward.
21-10-2009, 12:25
Don't let gee-dub get away with this! Row row fight the powa! Simply tell them they their not getting any money unless you can take a look though.

You just recommended the same scenario that they have going now, except in reverse.

I haven't been past a Gw in a while but I'd like to see if this is true in Australia, as most gamers I know would tell them to go ***** themselves and read the book anyway.

loveless
21-10-2009, 15:09
All this secrecy and repressive buy-to-see-the-book-we-haven't-proofread sounds like GW has been bought by Microsoft.

Sounds more like Apple - they figure their product is good enough to get bought regardless of quality.

GW Exec: "Look, we'll put the GW logo on it and people will buy it regardless of what it is. Worked for you guys, right, Steve?"

Steve Jobs: "What? Yeah, people love that little apple with the bite out of it. They can't get enough of it - that and the letter 'i' in front of words. They love it."

GW Exec: "Hmm...iHammer Fantasy...I like it!"

Steve Jobs: "..."

EviIPaladin
21-10-2009, 15:52
Sounds more like Apple - they figure their product is good enough to get bought regardless of quality.

GW Exec: "Look, we'll put the GW logo on it and people will buy it regardless of what it is. Worked for you guys, right, Steve?"

Steve Jobs: "What? Yeah, people love that little apple with the bite out of it. They can't get enough of it - that and the letter 'i' in front of words. They love it."

GW Exec: "Hmm...iHammer Fantasy...I like it!"

Steve Jobs: "..."

GW Execs do indeed Hammer Fantasy... In a bad way...

-Evii

decker_cky
21-10-2009, 19:57
On topic: I think GW are within their rights to stop folks previewing their new books. You dont get away with it in newsagents, ("Buy it or get out" is the usual response)

The news and the rules for a game are pretty different products, so the comparison doesn't hold. Read through a newspaper and you've gotten what they're selling. Read through a rulebook and you know what models to spend your money on.

ashc
21-10-2009, 20:15
If they are going to start implementing this, then why bother with a preview book at all? :confused:

loveless
21-10-2009, 20:20
If they are going to start implementing this, then why bother with a preview book at all? :confused:

In an ill-fated attempt to get more preorders, I would imagine. It's a crazed thought that someone will buy it just because it's a GW product - but since GW is already convinced that they make the best wargaming products in the world, they may not realize that there are alternatives to their games :p

However, I'm guessing it may be an individual store thing as opposed to a company thing. I recall tales of store managers being irritated at book summaries appearing online. Afterall, if you can't get the people to come in and look at the book themselves, how are you supposed to pressure them to buy paint, brushes, and flocking material?

The answer - make them buy the book to look at the preview book. Absolutely pointless, as the information will get out anyway and I'll just go buy the book from someone else to spite you.

Orcboy_Phil
21-10-2009, 20:21

So staff can lern the rules. This actually sounds more like a manager or staff memeber trying to increase there average sale with hard tactics.

Steam_Giant
21-10-2009, 21:31
The news and the rules for a game are pretty different products, so the comparison doesn't hold. Read through a newspaper and you've gotten what they're selling. Read through a rulebook and you know what models to spend your money on.

Is that not what White dwarf is for ? ;)

RealMikeBob
21-10-2009, 21:41
Is that not what White dwarf is for ? ;)

Nah, thats just how they tell you the models you're buying are such great value.

loveless
21-10-2009, 21:49
Nah, thats just how they tell you the models you're buying are such great value.

Best example of this was when the Greatswords came out in plastic.

"Look! You can add Greatsword bits to EVERYTHING! You should buy, like, 5 boxes! LOOK HOW COOL CROSSBOWMEN ARE IN FULL PLATE ARMOUR!!!"

Dang that was an awesome issue for comedic value.

Anyway, no, White Dwarf does little to tell you of the actual in-game effectiveness - they are very vague on what actual rules do as of late. Their battle reports are even worse, as they tend to not always use the finalized ruleset in them (remember how much cooler Warriors of Chaos were in their battle report with the roll for EotG every time they killed a champion? That rocked, too bad it didn't make the cut in the final rules).

decker_cky
21-10-2009, 22:39
I liked Adam troke bragging about the S6 attacks from the riders of lion chariots personally. It's ok...the author doesn't know the game's rules.

Baggers
21-10-2009, 22:44
I was in Warhammer World and had the new Skaven book thrust upon me. No would you like to pre-order. I wasn't even looking at Warhammer I was in the Lord of the Rings section. Its a very nice book I must say.

outbreak
21-10-2009, 22:49

I live in Australia not the UK, i also never go into my GW unless it's to pick up a paint i've run out of or if i have to kill time at the shopping centre. The indie stores around me haven't received any new skaven books/models yet so i was only going in there to chat about the new skaven and they tryed to talk me into buying from them by offering a look at the book. From what i've heard from others around here their doing the same to most people....

I was actually going to preorder 1 box of clanrats from them so i could paint those up while waiting for my maelstrom battalions to arrive but not letting me see the book + refusing to tell me what was in the battalion (this was before any concrete rumours on it had been released but some of the guys working seemed to think they knew what was going to be in it) made me not buy anything.

Nesbet
22-10-2009, 00:49
Proofreading...

Proofreading...

Ever heard of it, GW?:rolleyes:

Most companies do it BEFORE printing, probably because then you don't have to recall and trash all your books three weeks before release.

Really, the quality of GW army books is in serious decline. Looks like the plethora of spelling mistakes in the LM book was only the beginning...

(Proofreading, heck! Proofreading!!!!)

HA!!! HA HA!!!!
You HAVEN'T READ a fckn army book in spanish!!!
the translation is so crap that everyone who knows english (at least "understands it") uses it instead of the spanish translation!!! :wtf:

Orcboy_Phil
22-10-2009, 21:04
Bloody book finally arrived today. I haven't had a chance to go throught it with a fine toothcomb thougth.

N810
22-10-2009, 21:10
Bloody book finally arrived today. I haven't had a chance to go throught it with a fine toothcomb thougth.

Woo Hoo :D

devilchild
22-10-2009, 23:15
HA!!! HA HA!!!!
You HAVEN'T READ a fckn army book in spanish!!!
the translation is so crap that everyone who knows english (at least "understands it") uses it instead of the spanish translation!!! :wtf:

I know, at my local store i'm the only native english speaker, but at least half the other gamers have their books in english, and just convert inches to centimetres.

Kalandros
23-10-2009, 04:02
Do you round it up? ;p cause, 7" is 17.78cm, but 8" is 20.32cm!

DarkAngelsG
23-10-2009, 06:37
Weird. I don't have a GW store within... Probably 6-9 hours drive(I live in a small town), but I do have an LGS of course, and they have had the Skaven book for... Two weeks now? Not sure if they have the sprues though, I have little interest in painting any Skaven that is not wounded or dead. XD

And actually, I never noticed any typos in the LM book, and I got it the week it came out too...

ChaosVC
23-10-2009, 09:38
I wish they recall my chaos warrior books so I can get a new one, the one I have had pages falling off despite it looking as good as new. GW army books=suck quality=over charged.

Ixquic
23-10-2009, 13:30
I wish they recall my chaos warrior books so I can get a new one, the one I have had pages falling off despite it looking as good as new. GW army books=suck quality=over charged.

This was excusable for one or two books (since it wouldn't have been immediately obvious) but at this point it really makes me angry that they are charging $25 for such shoddy product. My 6th edition Wood Elf book had this problem and they've had more than enough time to find a printing company that can actually make a book designed to withstand the use that a game manual does. These books really fall apart almost instantly now and I just don't see that happening anywhere else.

shadow hunter
23-10-2009, 14:17
I hope the Skaven book fairs better. I bought the Marine book (and I'm not particularly a marine player) and that fell apart while i was reading it for the first few times. Long before using it during a game.

My Ork, Eldar and Guard 40k books have been ok so far. And I bought the Vampire Army book and have thumbed that numerous times, and that is ok too.

I thought it was just a one off with the marine book.

loveless
23-10-2009, 14:22
It would be interesting to see where the worst books are located geographically.

I've got a small issue with an overexposed binding on my WoC book, but my Space Marine, Space Wolf, Dark Elf, Daemon, and Vampire books are holding up fine.

decker_cky
23-10-2009, 23:37
Don't GW just replace the badly bound books for free anyways?

Rikkjourd
24-10-2009, 16:51
When I went in to the local independent store to look at the new Skaven book I told the manager: I'm gonna be here for a while, I want to read the whole book in detail!

And the reply was... Why don't you go into the back of the store and get yourself a comfy chair? (no, he was not being sarcastic)

And then we chatted a bit about the new stuff. There was no limits on how much previewing I could do, and also they have a lottery where you can win Skaven stuff if you preorder the book (you don't have to order models).

Seems like you just happen to have bad staff at your stores =P

fubukii
24-10-2009, 19:38
yea we look at the book as much as want at my local gw

scarletsquig
24-10-2009, 22:31
It varies from store to store, depending on the relative gittishness of the manager.

nosferatu1001
25-10-2009, 01:01
Our store staff actually brought the book down to Spiky so we could all have a good look at the book.

And mainly laughing at how much fail there is in the special section. Why take anything else when you can take PCBs that are Stubborn Ld8?

fubukii
25-10-2009, 04:46
because you need plaguemonks to do that who are also special :P