PDA

View Full Version : Golden Daemon book

much2much
22-10-2009, 06:43
Why don't GW release a yearly book with all Golden Daemon medallists from all over the world?

I'd pay $100 for a hardcover book like this.

Jonathan =I=
22-10-2009, 06:51
They did release one at the start of 2000s.
Dont know if it will be repeated though?

Harry
22-10-2009, 07:30
Why stop at the medalists? I would enjoy looking at the best of the rest too.

There is a great website where you can look at them all. It goes back years. "Demon Winner"

simonr1978
22-10-2009, 09:39
I doubt many people would be willing to pay that much for a book of pretty pictures of other people's miniatures, hardcover or not. If it was a limited edition sourcebook or a rulebook, then maybe, but not something where you're going to expect to print a new edition every year.

Make it a softcover annual with some exclusive content (Winner's interview, painting tips example) for maybe 10-20 a throw and maybe you could make it worthwhile.

grissom2006
22-10-2009, 10:22
We have had the free supplement for GD winners but with them now having a web site they just post them on there it's cheaper.

blongbling
22-10-2009, 13:19
dont encourage them, they will do it and charge 100 for it.

much2much
22-10-2009, 15:10
Daemon Winner is very sparse these days and I recall reading that they can't get photos for all of them. That is only the medallists too....

Look a lot of people are buying the Citadel Catalogue every year which just has the miniatures painted as seen in White Dwarf but still that is a seller.

Remember I said $100 and I am in Australia although our dollar is approaching US parity it is still a far cry from 100 pounds or euros.

Anyway the White Dwarf supplement normally only covers your country and sometimes they have an article about another countries GD. Here in Australia I think we got a UK one a bit over a year ago. UK does have awesome stuff but I want the mainland Europe countries stuff too. To my this is the pinnacle of my favourite part of the hobby and is the highest form of art to my sensibilities. It makes far more sense to pay a fortune for a fancy book with this in it than a silver edged hardbound rulebook thats going to get scuffed to buggery or left in disuse.

I imagine quality pages of miniatures photographs would run the book far more expensive than the rulebooks and thats why I offer a big price. Down here you pay $90 for Dark Heresy rulebook and that is not all the quality that is required for pages displaying excellent miniatures photography.

As for the runners up etc. yeah most definitely and I can also accept if they only show one or two photos of some of these capturing their best angles. I doubt once they put it all together they would have much space but perhaps a format like the showcase page or two they put in codexes and rulebooks could cover a ton of these.

Perhaps this would be almost too much saturation of beautiful miniatures but I don't think so. The Art of 40k and Warhammer and the Horus Heresy Collected Visions still allow you to enjoy the art of the rulebooks and army books/codices, etc.

simonr1978
22-10-2009, 16:34
I know you referred to $, tbh I'd assumed US$ since it's not readily apparent that you're Australian and usually if people are referring to another Dollar currency other than US they say so. Either way, it's not really that important, at a straight conversion you're looking at 55-60 for an annual publication.

Even accepting a considerable mark up for UK-Aus, you'd probably be looking at something close to 40 once a year in the UK, which is I think more than most people would be prepared to regularly pay for something like that, again regardless of quality of the publication.

blongbling
22-10-2009, 16:47
and i was referring to when i said it. It would be regarded as a low sales item but something that thsoe that really wanted it would pay through the nose for. 100 put out by Black Library as a limited edition isnt beyond GW at all

TheBigBadWolf
22-10-2009, 20:45
I still enjoy looking through the old Fantasy Miniatures book that GW released in 2002, it has a lot of Golden Daemon winners from all over the world.

I would buy one if they ever released a new Fantasy Minatures book

The Phazer
22-10-2009, 20:54
I would totally buy a nice book full of lovely big pictures of winners. Interviews with techniques used by the artists etc would be perfect.

Phazer

swordwind
22-10-2009, 21:02
Lots of people pay 4.50 every month to see the same Ultramarines over and over and over, they'd surely be lining up around the block to see something new no matter how much it was?

blongbling
26-10-2009, 14:27
interesting that everyone is saying they would have no problem with paying anything to see this, yet if they did do it then everyone would moan the price is too high :)

simonr1978
26-10-2009, 15:23
Lots of people pay 4.50 every month to see the same Ultramarines over and over and over, they'd surely be lining up around the block to see something new no matter how much it was?

Do you really reckon they would? A new sourcebook or a brand new army book, maybe. A New supplement, perhaps. A new vehicle or siege engine kit for example, quite possibly.

I just don't think that people would be that excited year after year over what would be essentially a very expensive annual. Maybe as a one off or infrequently released special, but I just don't see enough people happily paying between about 50+ on a regular, yearly basis.

In any case anecdotally it seems that fewer and fewer people are willing to part with that 4.50 a month.

much2much
26-10-2009, 16:36
I personally dislike and would never pay for a book of anecdotes.

But I LOVE beautifully painted miniatures.

If Games Workshop didn't make a product because people complain about the price we would currently have four armies: Goblins, Dwarves, Space Marines and Orks. But no paint to actually paint them.

Sure some people wouldn't buy it but this rubbish about "expensive annual" and it being releaed too "regularly" is mumbo jumbo. A lot of people buy the CATALOGUE which is just what we see in White Dwarves (or is that Dwarfs) but all summarised.

I want to see the best stuff every year and the stuff that is still awesome that hasn't managed a medal, especially in the really awesome countries (in no particular order country A from mainland Europe, country B from mainland Europe, country C from mainland Europe and country Z that started the whole thing). There is obviously leeway after the medallists to just include what is the best stuff without having to put in five runners up from every GD.

simonr1978
26-10-2009, 18:38
but this rubbish about "expensive annual" and it being releaed too "regularly" is mumbo jumbo.

Whatever, you can try to flippantly dismiss this factor if you want, but it isn't mumbo jumbo and just because I disagree with you it doesn't make my points "Rubbish". Let me put it simply since I gather from that phrase that you're struggling to understand this, however many people are willing to part with 50-100 for a special edition book, fewer will be willing to do so repeatedly. This will inevitably impact on the likelihood of something like this happening.

I want to see the best stuff every year and the stuff that is still awesome that hasn't managed a medal, especially in the really awesome countries (in no particular order country A from mainland Europe, country B from mainland Europe, country C from mainland Europe and country Z that started the whole thing). There is obviously leeway after the medallists to just include what is the best stuff without having to put in five runners up from every GD.

Enjoy your pipe dream, I doubt it's ever likely to happen since for most potential customers the cost is likely to be too prohibitive on a regular basis. That said, as I indicated in an earlier post, the more affordable it could be made the more likely it would be to see the light of day.