PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Heresy and Chaos: A thought for GW.

Bladelord
22-10-2009, 17:22
Very well,

I've looked through several Pre-Heresy Marine project logs, and stumbling upon this thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225932) made me think about a couple of things:

1.) Chaos Legion Space Marines, a lot/most of them having been around for 10'000 years plus, would be well out if Games Workshop for future releases kept a design policy in mind:

A [insert per cent] number of all parts in a CSM plastic kit must be of a Chaosified Pre-Heresy design (mainly their armour, including Terminator shoulderpads). Advantagedly, this would better set them apart from the endless codices of Loyalist Space Marines, add an interesting twist to the Chaos range and make CSM kits more attractive for Loyalist players prepared for filing or cutting off paraphernalia.

2.) A small Pre-Heresy/Horus Heresy range of miniatures - maybe even a plastic box of older SM armour & weapon Marks - could be in order. It'd sell quite well, that's for sure (partly because it's Space Marines...), for a huge number of reasons. The downside is the hampering of other army developments, which is not something we'd wish whilst hoping for Dark Eldar, Inquisitorial forces and Necrons.

Still, it could be something for the near future. And it would be useful for 40k... without further ado than a skull or two.

So, what do You think?

the-skylord
22-10-2009, 17:50
Maybe, but once all the other races are updated.

Bladelord
22-10-2009, 18:17
Agreed, but anyone else up for grabs?

Hm, we might even get a younger version of Ezekyle Abaddon. :D

Lars Porsenna
22-10-2009, 18:55
I would love to see pre-heresy/heresy era kits, not for the least reason than it makes sense if you do traitor legions CSM. The current set of vanilla CSMs definitely have that "renegade CSM" feel rather than something left over from the heresy era. Sure you have that one helmet that might be a Mk 5, but the bodies definitely aren't.

Damon.

kaimarion
22-10-2009, 19:05
It would be a great idea as they could be sold to both chaos and imperial players, I doubt I'am the only one that is fed-up with all the Mk8 armour and wants some thing different. I wouldn't be surprised to see FW do it but it would be quite expensive.

TimLeeson
22-10-2009, 19:08
Only if they did pre-heresy xenos as well like kinebrach, megarachnids ect

wilsongrahams
22-10-2009, 19:12
Hell yeah, I've been trying to fill my Blood angels with Mk2-6 armour as it is! Heresy troops and a Sanguinius model would make me double my army - (One company then and one now)

Bladelord
22-10-2009, 19:34
Only if they did pre-heresy xenos as well like kinebrach, megarachnids ect
That'd actually be a very smart thing to do. Release Pre-Heresey/Heresy era Space Marine stuff en masse that's useful to all things with Power Pants, with some minor Imperial things alongside it (Adeptus Mechanicus, officials, Imperial Army hi-tech weaponry etc.) and then the second interesting part - Xenos (and perhaps those isolated humans in the Horus Rising goodness). Even a single blister pack for each of the Imperial/Xeno stuff would be enough.

The races you mentioned would be sweet to see, and not only useful to "modern"/surviving xeno races, Tyranids or Daemons, but would give a look sideways away from the Power Armoured figures.

Hm, I'm afraid I've to turn my WD Terminator into a Preheresy Emperor's Children one...

Cognitave
22-10-2009, 21:55
Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons? Yes please!

chub
22-10-2009, 22:14
i am currently building a 'fallen' army using dark angel rules so i wouuld love a plastic pre heresy range as it would look more realistic

Caiphas Cain
22-10-2009, 22:18
Yeah! I for one am sick of Mk8 (or whatever is used now).

That would actualy tempt me to get a SM army.

Death Company
22-10-2009, 22:30
I would love to see this!

It would be fun to field armies like the Emperors Children and Word Bearers, before they became heretical filth. :D

Amnar
23-10-2009, 00:12
Definately, make them metal if you have to

Fugazi
23-10-2009, 00:19
I was thinking the same thing the other day. Half of me would love it. The other half of me (the half holding my wallet) kinda wouldn't. Damn. First half wins.

Arakanis
23-10-2009, 00:43
Seems like a good idea. I'd pay for it. I'd like some re-done earlier mark Rhinoes and Land Raiders.

Sunyavadin
23-10-2009, 00:59
A pre-heresy conversion box, or blister packs, would be nice. Shoulderpads, helmets, breastplates... Reaper Autocannon arms for terminators... I expect it could prove successful. Any addition to the Space Marine range usually does well.

Clang
23-10-2009, 02:03
A sinple pre-heresy upgrade marine/terminator sprue would be all that's needed. I think it would sell well, as any chapter/legion still has _some_ really old armour - Chaos in particular, of course.

Col. Tartleton
23-10-2009, 02:40
If they do this I want a fourth main line.

Warhammer
Warhammer 40k
Lord of the Rings
Warhammer 30k

They could create models that overlap enough to allow for multiple uses. For example warhammer 30k marines could be used in 40k, 40k eldar and dark eldar would cross over, Imperial Guard could be used Imperial army though the rules and organizations would be very different and there would be 30k specific troopers that can be used in 40k, orks could cross over etc. But then you'd have your Megarachnids, your DAoT cyborgs, your rebel human empire, a xenos united emirates, what have you.

fluffstalker
23-10-2009, 02:52
Theyd never do this..but while were dreaming I might as well express my enthusiasm for this idea. This way if you enjoy the old marine parts and the pre heresy fluff you can do an army WITHOUT having to go to forge world, or buying multiple bots just for bits, and racking up a large amount of money/time spent in converting them. Hell a friend of mine who is doing Pre Heresy Dark Angels tells me that the time and money spent hunting ebay for beakie heads is almost the same as the rest of the army!

Toadius80
23-10-2009, 03:03
I think:

A sinple pre-heresy upgrade marine/terminator sprue would be all that's needed. I think it would sell well, as any chapter/legion still has _some_ really old armour - Chaos in particular, of course.

Has the best thought on the matter. No need to go crazy with rules and what have you's. The sprue idea would sell without a doubt as I would buy them and I can pretty much garentee most, if not all the people I know who collect marines would also buy them.

The Orange
23-10-2009, 03:20
I'd be intrigued, donno if I'd pony up the cash in the end but it'd be interesting at least and if GW treated the line right (as something more for collectors/enthusiasts thus more detailed models like they did for Spack Hulk) I think it could be a lucrative market for them.

As for the earlier mk. of armor doesn't GW offer a package like that on their online store already?

Dread Lime
23-10-2009, 04:01
A plastic Armor through the ages sprue with all eight marks of armor and some variant weapons and a few accessory bits representing various periods in Imperial history would suffice. Marine players could use it to model vets, customize command units and spice up their squads and chaos players could use the parts for their own nefarious purposes.

I'd like to see GW do a series of such kits detailing weapon and armor variants, historical characters, and adding extra bits for options that few parts exist for. It'd be great for modelers and folks who like playing forces from specific periods within 40k's timeline.

Bladelord
23-10-2009, 09:36
I think:

Has the best thought on the matter. No need to go crazy with rules and what have you's. The sprue idea would sell without a doubt as I would buy them and I can pretty much garentee most, if not all the people I know who collect marines would also buy them.
I completely agree. Still, you know that if they crammed in some of the characters (though not the Primarchs) and made them look very, very cool, a few such blisters could be expected awhile after the upgrade sprues. And then, perhaps, even some minor Xeno and hi-tech human army blisters/upgrade packs available from Direct.

Armour throughout the ages (with weapons and whatnots) in plastic is something that I've wanted for a long time, and would sell in. We'll wait and see.

I don't think a new rules system would be needed at all - the whole Preheresy range would merely be a matter of a minor (but well-invested) stream on the side of the main 40k ocean, perhaps receiving some metal model/upgrade bitz additions every half a year. Nothing more would be needed, since the most important of "30k" would be covered - the Marine armours, some wanted characters and a few freaky hi-tech things.

Then, of course, I'd ecpect FW to build on this, with a resin Jetbike squad and you can guess what else, but that should be expected.

This will sound very strange to my younger brethren, but no new 30k Rhino/Landraider would be needed for release. Why? Because of this (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225932). And then a Landraider conversion template would be required.

Yes, I'm serious. Once ago, when I hadn't entered school yet, there's a lot of articles in WD for how to build your own vehicles/scratch build Vindicators etc. Nowadays we're better out, but still - some of the old scatchbuilding should be promoted via the web and/or WD.

Conclusion of My Endless Babbel:

Upgrade plastic sprues and metal upgrade bitz would suffice; a minor tweak to the side of mainstay 40k, not a new rules system. With some occasional new releases for the Pre-Heresy range, Forge World whatnots and scratchbuilding/conversion hobby articles in WD/on the web, a Pre-Heresy range would be good to go.

It would not only make a lot of money quickly, but amongst the 40k hobbyists it would attract intensive interest from the great mass, which is one of the things their hobby thrive on.