nedius
22-10-2009, 17:31
Ma'Caellia Campaign - A fan-made Space Hulk campaign

Link below:
1st half:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mtlmtdnmzkm/deathwing campaign book 1st half2.pdf

Missions 1-16:
http://nedius.webs.com/deathwing%20campaign%20book.pdf

This is the first part of a campaign I'm working on. The book currently has the first 16 missions of the campaign, all based on those from the early 1990's PC game by EA. the maps aren't exactly the same, but are pretty close. There are also some special rules included (one of which will only be used in later missions).I will release the appendices for this first half soon (perhaps tomorrow), which include alternative map layouts for some of the missions, including 2 set versions and unlimited set versions.

I'd like some feedback on the book, if you don't mind! The missions I will keep more or less the same, as they are supposed to be close to those of the PC game, but I'd like some ideas on the presentation, clarity of rule/mission explanations and so on.

Anyway, hope you enjoy!

Teufelskerl
22-10-2009, 18:30
Looks very good upon first read through, the format is good, campaign well laid out and quite readable. Clarity it good, I was able to fiigure out all pertinant details easily enough. The onlyh sugguestion I have off had is to make it more clear which box sets a player will need to lay out the maps.

Great job!

Frederich

nedius
22-10-2009, 19:17
In the maps in the draft release, you only need a single set. The appendeices will have the other maps that can use multiple sets, and they are all labelled. Only the mega-map needs extra sets, and I think that needs three sets.

CRasterImage
22-10-2009, 20:09
Wow, that was nicely laid out. Very polished.

All the copyright stuff gives me a chuckle.
(because I think they would slap us down anyway)

nedius
22-10-2009, 20:26
I'm not so sure...

If you look at their legal stuff, it mentions that you can use their images, background etc, as long as they are unaltered and go along side legal disclaimers. Mind, it also asks you to put a legal disclaimer on your pics of painted miniatures too, but they don't go round busting everyone who posts images of their miniatures without disclaimers.

grissom2006
24-10-2009, 10:15
Better safe than sorry if goes mainstream.

Znail
24-10-2009, 15:54
You also need to realise that GW, along with a wast number of companies, are not above making false claims as to what us customers are legaly alowed to do. I seriously doubt that they have any legal grounds to prevent you from taking pictures of your minis and posting them on the web without a legal disclaimer.

40kbolter
24-10-2009, 17:30
great work.

nedius
01-11-2009, 15:05
Just curious if anyone has any feedback on the book? Style, layout, clarity etc?

Destructorn
08-12-2009, 04:26
I'd love to provide some useful criticism but I can't because from what I can see this thing is damned near perfect. I love the idea of the slowly expanding Hulk, although it does mean the Marine player has to put a lot of trust in the Stealer player! Maybe a third observer would be useful (if available) to keep the stealer's movements honest!

Apart from that, it seems an awesome supplement and one I will playtest as soon as possible! Please tell me: Does this campaign require any tiles that are not in the basic set? I thought I saw a room that I don't have in there...

Patriarch
08-12-2009, 13:37
Good work, I commend you on the effort that has gone into this!

On the IP issue, I gather that one of GW's main beefs is if fan material could be confused with their own (i.e. someone could mistake this for Official GW ProductTM). I don't necessarily agree with that stance, and I think you have done all you reasonably can do, but what do I know?

OK, some CCs on the content.

Hidden maps - I take it this was a feature of the Amiga game. It's a nice idea, but as a stealer I'd just play with the whole map as normal - marking blip positions on a piece of paper from turn to turn would be a real pain, and make the games very tricky for the marines (e.g. if they don't even know where their exit is supposed to be).
Ambush blips - what is a "0" blip - is this for home brewed sets, as 3rd Ed doesn't use them (thankfully)?
Mission 1 Menacing Images - I take it that's one (ambush) blip per turn as per your rules - probably worth spelling it out on this mission.
Mission 2 Witch Hunt - how many blips per turn reinforcement (bearing in mind ambushing is optional)? This looks extremely hard for a single marine - build up 2 or 3 ambush blips (to attack from 2 directions at once) and he has no chance. Even with 2 that's pretty tough - and that's with a game where the marines can see the whole map from the beginning.
Mission 3 Baneful Icon of the Foe - that's a nice campaign penalty there. Same comment as above, a single marine is usually toast in space hulk unless he's about to win the mission, especially as he is going to be very busy in this one. Where does our hero start in this mission - long corridor bottom right? Also, the mission objective states that he needs to get to the blue room with the artefact, but the game stops when he closes the door. What happens if he gets to the room (winning the game) but doesn't close the door (so keep playing)?
Mission 4 Deliverance - wasn't too clear which were the bulkheads from the map (the open doors I assume). To avoid confusion on set up and in-game, I would have only these present on the map - don't use regular doors at all on the rest of the map in this mission.
Mission 5 Extrication - which squad is carrying the artefact - the starting 4, or the reinforcement 3? Common sense says the starting team, but the fluff suggests its the reinforcements as these just rescued it in the previous game.
Mission 6 Purge - An interesting spin with a flamer-heavy force. Again, how many reinforcement blips? Even if the default is 1 per turn, I'd actually say this on the mission briefing. The "northern" part of the map seems a bit redundant - the marines have a straightforward trek westward to the control room. They will only explore the 3 upper rooms if they get hopelessly lost.
Mega Campaign - Why does it matter about the bulkheads and blips once the control room has been flamed? The marines just won the whole campaign at this point so presumably the game ends there. Not clear how the mega mission works in practice as each wave of marines is waiting for the previous mission to be successfully completed before they come on. What happens if, say, the marine player for mission 1 fails? Does no-one else get a game?

nedius
08-12-2009, 14:49
hey there,

thanks a lot for the feedback! Am slowly working on the following 20ish missions, but I accidentally reset the campaign, so I'm having to play the game through from scrach...

However, you've given me some great pointers for clarifications / rule adaptations.

I'll reply a little, if I may!

0 blips - I have 1st ed, and the genestealer expansion, as well as the most recent edition. I decided that I'd make the campaign playable using the blip sets from either edition. There's also some fan made 3rd ed blips that include blips from 0-6. If the player wished to use such blipsets, I thought I'd make sure they are able. Will make this clearer.

Mission 1 - yes, one ambush blip per turn. In the game, all the genestealers arrive via ambush, usually only 2-3 squares ahead or behind your marines. The rules I made are a lot harsher than that!

Mission 2 - I was torn on this one. One marine is hard, but again, this is as it is in game. I'd like to keep it that way. I'll see if I can think of a way of balancing it up a bit more.

Mission 3 - there's something I've found subsiquent to writing this. In the game, the genestealers have a delayed start (I'll not share details here incase anyone wants to play this as a marine player). That give Sabathius a chance to get into the mission before the stealers arrive. Remember that in addition to this, Sabathius gets all the CPs to himself - giving him between 5-10 APs per turn. As for the door, yes, Sabathius has to close the door to end the mission. This is a very common feature of the game. If he does not do so, the game continues. If he accidentally destroys the door, then the mission is no longer complete-able...

Mission 4 - I'll change the colour of the boxes identifying the bulkheads, so that they are clearer. Sabathius is deployed in the room he ended the previous mission in (there's a small marine deployment triangle in a room indiciating where this is).

Mission 5 - The artifact is being carried by the reinforcement squad, as they are returning with it to the exit.

Mission 6 - It's 2 blips per turn, but I'll check the game. As for the map, it's tough. The 'megamap' is used for the last 3 missions, but the main maps are all for 1 set games. Several of the map designs in the pc game have areas that are, to all intents and purposes, pointless. I just copied them... Anyway, I might replicate the random blip entry rule for this mission, giving that top area somewhat more point.

Mega Campaign - I see the problem! The instructions that say 'at this point', but it should read 'for this section of the game' - so until the section is flamed, you use the genestealer entry rules as described.

I'll add details for failure of ertain sections. I guess the options are to either to send a fresh squad to accomplish what the previous squad could not, to declare it a genestealer victory, or send the next squad in line into the game to complete both their own task, and that of the squad before them. So if Sabathius and the squad from the 'Deliverence' section are all killed, the squad from 'Extrication' would have to complete the mission on their own.

However, if the marine is repeatedly successful, they could end up with a sizeable force on the board.

Will use you input to get back on with this campaign book!

mnemnoch
09-12-2009, 15:26
Very great idea Nedius, you made me join this forum to answer you. I am designing some tiles to be able to rebuild some parts of the original map (http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/mojojamz/Space+Hulk+3rd+Ed/?g2_page=24) but the original layout has some passages so narrow that it changes movement - in the pc game it doesn't matter as you can't move diagonally (neither can the Stealer). I also have difficulties with overlapping tile auras - it simply doesn't look good. So I think you can modifiy these parts.
I am looking forward for the 2nd half of your Campaign Book and found a site with hex codes to change mission status for the space hulk pc game, perhaps it helps you: http://underworld.fortunecity.com/postal/67/spacehulk.txt
Now to your Campaign Book:
1) in the PC game an Assault Cannon Marine has ten shots but may find ammunition in the game (as I recall): Do handle it the same way? I think this is a good idea, as it counterweights the "Let the Techpriests bestow you with weapons of destruction..." - rule.
2) Ambush rules: Is there a specific reason why you don't use the normal Ambush rules? Are your Ambush Blips allowed to be moved in the same round after placement? The usual rules would be: instead of a normal Blip, an Ambush Counter may be placed at the end of the round at least 6 squares away from any marine. It may be used normally the next round. When entering marine LOS the Counter is checked. There is a 1/3 chance that a Stealer is encountered, just roll: a 5-6 means it is a Stealer. Only one may be placed per round and only two may be in the game at the same time.

nedius
09-12-2009, 18:21
Lol, do you know what? I've mad almost exactly the same tile as you (the one with three entrances). I've made a couple more as well. The 'Spawn of Extractation' or what ever it's called, a 3 wide corridor end piece junction. However, I'm reluctant to distribute them, as I know other examples have had to be removed (porbably at the request of GW - I'm pretty sure it breeches their legal info).

I've an idea for an alternative possibility, but it'll mean modelling the tiles in real, photographing them and then putting them in place of the pics on the gw tiles.

1) I decided to allow the assault cannon to begin with one reload, as per the board game. Certain missions will say that the assault cannons get no reloads, but they can find some in-mission. Strictly speaking, the marine player should need 5 marines with assault cannons before he could use that (the stealer player decides if proxies are allowed)

EDIT: I've now reconsidered - I've added a section saying that if the players wish, they can replicate the PC game more closely by using alternative rules for the assault cannon (only 10 shots, but full auto capability) of flamer (flamer a 3x3 square rather than 'board sections').

2) Ambush... well, as there are some missions in the game in which stealers enter exclusively via ambush, they needed new rules. In 1st ed, where the ambush rules were, you needed special blips, I wasn't planning on making any for this campaign. I think I kept the placement rules very similar, but as in the game stealers can emerge in LoS of marines, I decided to add that as a feature of this campaign.

It all needs refinement - so I need to do a bit more play testing and so on. Great to have someone to bat ideas off!

Destructorn
14-12-2009, 04:24
There's also some fan made 3rd ed blips that include blips from 0-6. If the player wished to use such blipsets, I thought I'd make sure they are able.

I would very much like to access this blipset, do you have a source for them?

nedius
14-12-2009, 07:04
Yes, I'll see if I can find them again.

mnemnoch
19-12-2009, 05:06
I think it isn't necessary to copy every aspect of the PC game experience. I like your maps even if they don't reproduce the original layout perfectly. I even think this shouldn't be the goal, because (for example) the whole movement is different (diagonal movements are not allowed in the PC game) and even with the original PC game map it wouldn't be the same like in the PC game, and with changed movement rules it wouldn't be the original Space Hulk board game rules (especially if there is no fluffy explanation for all the changes).
But those extra rules are a fun way to slighly change the Space Hulk experience - for hardcore PC game fans ;)

BTW I made some tiles of the original PC game map, you could paste them to your campaign book, so that it would be possible to print them and cut them out (like in old white dwarfs). (same link as in the post above...) Perhaps I will make some more tiles, but I thought these would be the most important and most characteristic. (There is still this central room left, the oddly shaped x-intersection below and perhaps the southeastern room, then a connector tile to the end of the entrance hall in the south.. - perhaps in the next days)
How is your Campaign guide doing? will it be a christmas present or do you plan a christmas-wip-update-version? ;)

nedius
21-12-2009, 16:54
I think it isn't necessary to copy every aspect of the PC game experience. I like your maps even if they don't reproduce the original layout perfectly. I even think this shouldn't be the goal, because (for example) the whole movement is different (diagonal movements are not allowed in the PC game) and even with the original PC game map it wouldn't be the same like in the PC game, and with changed movement rules it wouldn't be the original Space Hulk board game rules (especially if there is no fluffy explanation for all the changes).
But those extra rules are a fun way to slighly change the Space Hulk experience - for hardcore PC game fans ;)

I won't be altering the movement rules, I don't think. But I may make a mention of it somewhere, so that anyone wanting to go for a much closer PC experience can do so.

However, I have included alternative flamer and assault cannon rules so that certain missions can be played the way they were meant to be played. The flamer in particular worked quite differently.

How is your Campaign guide doing? will it be a christmas present or do you plan a christmas-wip-update-version? ;)

Yes, I will do so.

Where ever I am up to by the end of tomorrow, I'll turn it into a pdf and upload it.

nedius
22-12-2009, 23:16
Have now uploaded the next 10 missions to my website, giving a total of 16 missions! These can be downloaded from:

http://nedius.webs.com/deathwing%20campaign%20book.pdf

Feel free to look around my website, http://nedius.webs.com/, whilst you're there!

Znail
23-12-2009, 09:05
Nedius, would you mind posting a zip file of all the TileSystem map files used? Those would be nice for anyone doing a report or play by mail/forum.

HaunterV
23-12-2009, 19:59
I would very much like to access this blipset, do you have a source for them?

I want them 0-6 blips too

mnemnoch
26-12-2009, 01:33
Merry xmas to all of you! Thanks Nedius for your update, I hope I will be able to try this out with someone, there are just too few Space Hulk gamers out there..