PDA

View Full Version : Which one next?

hendybadger
22-10-2009, 18:55
After building and currently painting a large Tyranid force I fancied investing in something abit different.
With new Nids coming out in Jan theres almost 3 months to play about with something else.
My choices are down to these

Grey Knights- Love the modelsfor GK and wife has a large Daemon force
Dark Eldar- Keen on the models. And things like the Hellions are something very different.
Blood Angels- Had a BA force years ago when I first played. Like models and fluff
Necrons- Like Tyranids I like the faceless horror thing. And love the Termie films

What do you think it should be?

grissom2006
22-10-2009, 19:11
Why you asking this question in effect again when you asked in http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225724 your duplicating your own thread and warseer doesn't like duplicate threads??

hendybadger
22-10-2009, 19:14
I thought that this was alot more precise and not a week old.
I will try and get the old one closed

Corpse
22-10-2009, 19:26
Post what appeals to you most about each army so people have a reason to vote.

moose
22-10-2009, 19:49
Grey Knights

Since you like the models, and it'll add another layer of fun to fighting daemons!

Moose.

Bladelord
22-10-2009, 19:56
Dark Eldar, because the models are at best semi-good, their background is a great leap-board into the Warp, webway and Eldar origin, and because they're a chance to explore some of the minor Xeno races - they raid and enslave, after all.

Then Grey Knights (or rather Daemonhunters; I want an =I= Codex trilogy), especially since there's actually some Daemons in good numbers to fight now.

Then Blood Angels, because the Space Hulk terminators are too good and because it's good if they get over with them and moves onto the more important stuff...

...like Necrons, but they need time, so that they can be pulled off perfectly - although rules-wise I don't care too much.

Karhedron
22-10-2009, 22:06
I voted Blood Angels. All the codices are quite old but Blood Angels are apparently due for a revamp next year so they should have new models and a competative list.

Necrons were hammered badly in the switch to 5th edition. It is very hard now to kill vehicles with Glancing hits only and the changes to combat resolution made it easy for good CC opponents to sweep Necrons which negates their WBB.

Dark Eldar have a cool concept but and ancient codex and a very uneven model line.

Grey Knights are also a bit old although the models are a lot better. Hard to make an army without bringing in Inducted troops which weakens the theme.

hendybadger
22-10-2009, 22:12
If I did GK it would have to be a GK only force. Aswell as using the new FW and Vraks models.
Maybe at a push I would use an Inq and assassins.
I hear alot of bad things about the DE. Do they have any good points?
Necrons are starting to seem abit plain. No challenge in the models at all.
Are Blood Angels just going to be another standard SM force?

starlight
22-10-2009, 22:19
Grey Knights - for thereasons you listed...plus they are the last to get updated of the ones under consideration... ;) With the other three looking at new books in the short to mid range, go with Grey Knights and consider the others as their books and new models are released. :angel:

Blood Angels are about to suffer *Bandwagon-itis*, Dark Eldar are a finicky glass hammer, but reward a knowledgeable gamer, Necrons are a bit bland right now.

hendybadger
22-10-2009, 22:23
It may have to end up being GK then. Not getting very convinced into the other 3 at the mo

starlight
22-10-2009, 22:25
Trade you my painted ones for unpainted?

I got them before I settled on a paint scheme, and now that I have they don't match...and they're done nicely enough that I'm having a hard time bringing myself to strip them... :(

Goat of Yuggoth
23-10-2009, 00:50
Grey ones, as they are fun to paint and a bunch of kick-ass lookers, too!

Also there must be someone to fight your wife and solve those dish-washing arguments :D

KingCracker
23-10-2009, 02:21
I say go for the GK. They are old as sin, but still can kick some booty

catbarf
23-10-2009, 02:45
Dark Eldar are an incredibly intellectual army to play. You can't rely on power armor or large numbers, as your entire army is composed of drug-fuelled rocket-powered glass hammers. If you can use them well, they're an incredibly powerful force.

Dexter099
23-10-2009, 02:50
Accidentally voted for BAs because I thought the thread was asking for what was going to be next, not what I thought should be next.

Definitely Dark Eldar.

Dark_Templar
23-10-2009, 03:05
Isn't it about which army he should tackle next?

Anywho, I voted Necrons, simply because I am personally curious about collecting some 'crons, but am concerned about their lack of model range. I like to have some variety, and that is not something that they offer (and I know variety may not fit their fluff, but still...).

I like the look of all models except Pariahs and Tomb Spyders, perhaps I will just bite the bullet and start them anyways, I can always do some converting to personalise them a bit.

Anyways, I would vote AGAINST BA, simply because I personally feel that they are a little too vanilla and probably do not need their own codex and could be represented through character special rules in the main codex.

Cheers.

HsojVvad
23-10-2009, 03:09
I said GK. I am assuming money is no issue for you and it plays completely different than Tyranids. Instead of horde you will be outnumbered. Instead of plastics, you will have almost all metal.

I loved painting my 5 GK. Beautiful army, plus you have fluffy battles going against your wife. In a few months you can start Tyranids again, wich I think you will do.

Also you can close your own posts. Just go to the first post, click on edit, and there is an option down below to close it yourself. You don't need a mod to do it for you. So close your other post if you like now. :p

Earth Shaker
23-10-2009, 04:45
grey knights are a formidable force when used properly, so go with them, build an even force, but keep large numbers of terminators if possible.

hendybadger
23-10-2009, 17:12
Wife just had IA7 turn up. And the Grey Knights in there seem fun. So does the new Inq.
Going to pick up the codex tomorrow and see what I think.

d6juggernaut
23-10-2009, 17:33
As much as I love Necrons, and they have tons of rumors and everything, I don't see them coming out any soon, dark eldar is so out-dated that anyone in the right mind would be working on them, so I voted dark eldar.

Khan!!!
23-10-2009, 17:58
I would say GK, becasue I have a large force of them, and even now they aren't that bad. But to see how they could be revamped with this new edition would be very interesting.

hendybadger
23-10-2009, 18:42
And the detail level now would do them proud

LonelyPath
23-10-2009, 21:13
You list some great reasons for collecting Grey Knights so go with them.

shin'keiro
23-10-2009, 21:31
Go for Blood Angels - as they are out after Nids anyway!

hendybadger
24-10-2009, 11:17
Picking up my first GK today aswell as the codex. Blood Angels are seeming like just another SM variant. Grey Knights are different enough to be interesting

orkz222
24-10-2009, 12:55
BA- coming-soon codex and can increase your BA army further.

hendybadger
24-10-2009, 16:45
I did it. Bit the bullet.
Picked up 3 boxes of GK and the codex. Gives me 2 troop and 1 hq already

m00ndust
26-10-2009, 05:29
Among those, I voted Necrons as "most likely to be next"

Grey Knights - Being part of "Forces of the Imperium" now, they need to come up with a codex allowing you to field an Inquisition army (of any Ordo) in a "self-sufficient" way rather than being most viable with IG or Space Marines in it (current state) AND they have to design LOTS of new plastic minis.

Dark Eldar - besides the Warriors, they'll have to redo everything...

Blood Angels - We're cursed with a free-PDF half-complete codex (while still somewhat "able to play" if you use a special character) and we already have 3 Imperial codices out.

Necrons - Easiest to update, 1 or 2 new Plastic models and it's in the bag... Wouldn't be surprised if Necrons are after 'nids.

darker4308
26-10-2009, 05:32
Go with the next new codex buddy. Be ready!

laudarkul
26-10-2009, 11:20
Go for GK or DE (models looks awesome and it seems quite interesting fielding those tho armies)... Or you can wait a little bit to see which one get a new codex;).

hendybadger
26-10-2009, 11:32
I have now started a small GK force. The models were just too nice to walk by compared to the other armies

Souleater
26-10-2009, 12:03
Grey Knights.

Small army to paint in the next two and a bit months.

Cool figures.

Fits your wife's Daemon army for great theme battles.