PDA

View Full Version : exodite eldar anyone?

peterjameslewis711
22-10-2009, 20:22
Hi guys, im pretty new on here, i posted a few things but nothing major so this is my first big thing so i hope u can roll with me........

Im looking to do an army ppl dont tend to see, and i was thinking along the lines of eldar exodites, now granted i dont know much about exodites but i do know a far bit about the range of gw models, so heres my thoughts............

I wanna make a cheap and well represented eldar wraith guard army, would exodites use wraith guard? I think thats my question mainly, i was thinking iv heard it said a few times but dryads as wraith guard, and the lord of the rings ent as a wraith lord, only problem is arming them properly or well enough that theres no confusion for ppl, obviously if ppl know the dyrads are wg then we all know theres nothing else they can be armed with, same with the warlocks with them (spellsinger model or somet else to represent the warlock).
But what about the ent?

Also a few other points to ask you all..........

1) Eternal guard as "scorpions", waywatchers as "pathfinders", wardancers as "banshees" and glade riders as "jetbikes"- Would that work you think?????????
2) What units wouldnt be in an exodite army? I.E Avatar
3) What sort of substitutes would you guys think would look good as what ( waywatchers as pathfinders with "wraithbone bows" as sniepr rifles?)
4)As im using dryads as the main body of troops (yes now the 90 max can be cheaply afforded instead of 8 each!) would wood elf treemen look ok as war walkers? (my thought is smaller ones as wraith guard, mediums as walkers, large ones as lords, sorta like the whole armys made of wraith bone etc).

Any questions or other suggestions and critisism welcome, many thanks in advance guys,

Peace!

grissom2006
22-10-2009, 21:43
Mixing LOTR into other GW games can produce issues at GW tournies.

Jetbikes would be better represented by Coldones. Your going to to look like a Wood Elf Army though if your go down the path your wanting for my money. Exodite worlds can have anything that a Craftworld has i'd just make it look less refined. I'd see Wraithguard as a rarity for them though.

TheBigBadWolf
22-10-2009, 21:45
I saw some cool Exodite conversions in an old WD, I think there were some conversions with eldar on the old cold one models, cant remember the issue though

peterjameslewis711
22-10-2009, 21:56
Yea the lotr problem i was thinking, tournys wouldnt be a problem, its more to be kosha in my local (i dunno what gw policies are on such things) but yea cold ones would look cool, maybe woold elf riders on cold ones? i dont fancy the idea of the dark armour with spikes etc, hence saying the sleek look on the wood elf horses.

I myself would love to play an army like this, i mean i love the sorta stories people can come up with on times and reasons to have some marine characters in other chapter themed armies ( like shrike in a salamander army with vulkan).

I do realise it would look wood elf ish in nature (i mean the entire army is gonna b pretty much fantasy elves and high/dark elves are too armoured in my eyes to cut my idea...........

Iyanna Arienal suddenly dissapeard story wise, so i was thinking of using that as a basis for my idea......... she got exciled or something and now started her own exodite faction, and her ideas and knowledge lets them keep the colour scheme etc and have wraithbone weaponary etc?????

Sleazy
22-10-2009, 22:02
you need more of a 40k thing going on, exodites should be eldar who also embrace the natural, not woodelves with guns.

Remember Dino-riders? kinda more mystical versions of that.

grissom2006
22-10-2009, 22:02
GW wasn't allowed to let it be done they had to be kept seperate, i'm NOT aware if this is still the case but store to store can get you different answers at times.

Exodites my shun Craftworlds they do still use technology, also think about this you sticking a bunch of figures mostly with bows on is going to confuse people. If they don't know how to identify a unit clearly your in for a headache. Example you could shoot 12" with that bow yet your doing it at 18" with that other one and they the next at 36". Not everyone who plays 40K plays WFB or LOTR .

peterjameslewis711
22-10-2009, 22:10
Fair point grissom2006 about the range of guns etc, but im thinking if i keep to say wraith guard and farseers etc there shouldnt be many problems, just trying to think about other ideas for how to represent the weaponary as i dont wanna keep to bows unless its just for "pathfinders" but then again i dunno like.

So as i say any suggestions are always welcome.............. (please?);)

peterjameslewis711
22-10-2009, 22:53
Sorry for double posting................

If i kept to say a set colour scheme (green for scorpions, white for banshees etc) would that help solve some peoples problems?
The other thing is i dont wanna have bows for more than shuriken based guns as it looks a bit odd to start with, but let alone say a fusion blaster being a bow,lol, so any suggestions on that problem?????

Dr.Clock
22-10-2009, 23:37
The simplest answer is: exodites are a poor match for the for the eldar codex.

Traditionally, exodites would mostly be mounted on riding-lizards.

I would envision them as something quite rare in the 40k rules - a cavalry-heavy army with a large number of Monstrous Creatures and likely strong psychics.

To me, the most appropriate lists to use are either tyranids or Daemons (hear me out...)

With tyranids, Tyranid Warriors are multi-wound attack monsters that may 'leap' like beasts... a great fit for cold ones.

With the rumoured ability to take tyranid warriors as troops, you could easily take upwards of thirty cold-one riders... leaping warriors move as beasts and are thus much closer to cavalry than jetbikes (I've never been satisfied with that proxy). I'll probably be arming them with a mixture of death-spitters (frag-laungers), devourers (TL las-blasters) and barbed-stranglers (webbers) along with the obligatory rending-claws (angry cold-ones!).

As a bonus: cold ones are relatively cheap... and will look great in large numbers if suitably converted.

With regards to Daemons:

I would focus on numerous heralds (nobles) - riding cold-ones (slaanesh steed) or discs (stylish weapon-plaform scateboard-board farseer).

Daemonettes and horrors would be mainstays: DE Corsairs and altered dryad 'world-spirits' (Watch Princess Monoke...).

Then seekers are cold-ones, flamers terradons and a carnosour or two for Daemon-lords.

Deep-strike represents their total control of local webway.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

peterjameslewis711
22-10-2009, 23:46
Thanks for the post but i think im now sending people off the point, i was wondering more about cheaper alternatives to eldar wraith guard (dont get me wrong 80 for 10 is such a great bargin;) ) but still i digress.....

MY thought was to do a themed army around wraith guard more than anything, just wondered about other units if i fancied it.

Soooo would there be a better substitute for wraithguard does anyone think?

Only reason i said about exodited would be to have a reason to use non eldar models as subs, i hate using proxies but if theres a reason and "theme" i cant see many people having problems.
So to use dryads as wraithguard is close as the story for them is they are made of wraith bone and all id do is have to model some different poses for the dryads like but the idea of guns is my problem, especially if i decided to try something like banshees or pathfinders.

Dr.Clock
23-10-2009, 00:19
I think the primary barrier is going to be the heads...

There's always this: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127091&highlight=wraithguard&page=10

Check post #186.

I would also say it is a little bit of a stretch to consider exodite 'dryads' as wraithguard... wraithcannons guns are pretty insane weapons...

Basically, you need to make an eldar-looking model big enough to hold a stripped down plasma-cannon(or similar).

Dryads carrying big guns is going to look... off... to my mind - unless you are a master sculptor.

I'd let it go on the table if you really wanted to use a wraithguard army... but I think you personally might end up feeling eventually that the models were insubstantial and, well... just didn't act like they LOOK like they should...

Wraithguard are wraithguard...

If you want to field an exodite army - I'm all for it. While I personally don't think the exodites would field something like a wraithguard, this is my own opinion... your interpretation of their background is your own.

I'd be much more comfortable seeing cold-ones whose riders carry the afore-mentioned stripped-down plasma cannons. But then they'd be lacking those awesome jaw-attacks.

Here's one more thought: incubi with big guns and large generators on their backs... taken from the bright-lance power-packs from the heavy weapon sprue? mod their helmets a little and you're set.

If you say they're slicing orbs aspect warriors, I'm all for it.

Uh-oh (begins rummaging bitz-box).

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

JHZ
23-10-2009, 01:07
I'd use High Elves as the base. I remember there being some talk about the developers seeing them more as High Elves than Wood Elves. And by that I mean not living in the forests and dressing in rags, but having a society with cities and all, but when compared to the tech of 40K, they would be more like High Elves taken from WHFB and planted in the grimdark of the far future. Except that they have lizards instead of horses. And guns.

I've seen some conversions of Dryads used as Exodite Wraithguard. Imagine it being a more "natural" growth of wraighbone, instead of just shaping it like a bonzai tree, they let it form as it wills, and they just shape so that it still works as a soldier. I'd just file the face down into a smooth surface and maybe add somesort of a gun either in one arm, or maybe a mouth mounted cannon (just put a muzzle where the mouth would be)? Would look cool for them to sprew hot Warp death from their maws.

You need to have cold ones as their rides. Eldar use lizard mounts.

I wouldn't have anything against some models using bows and arrows. I mean, the Inquisition has crossbows (the female inquisitor with a combi-stake gun or what ever it was), so they exist in 40K, and we all know what Rambo managed to do with one and some explosive tipped arrows. But I would give most troops more regular weapons, such as shurikens and lasers.

chromedog
23-10-2009, 03:55
I personally haven't used exodites since 2nd ed, when I had a unit of dragon riders in my craftworld army (which were DE cold-one knights).

Exodites do have a "world spirit" analogue to the craftworld "infinity circuit", so would still make use of wraith constructs if pressed to do so. Primarily, they would have infantry, cavalry (bikers), walkers and a few larger dino-riders as living tanks.

A friend runs a "biker" exodite army, where his dino-riders count as jetbikes, and a triceratops with howdah counts as the falcon (it's a 1/35 scale one, larger than the stegadon model, and of a rough size to the falcon).

peterjameslewis711
23-10-2009, 20:04
Awsome ideas guys, was trying to think about it, and i think im looking for a more wood elf themed eldar army, someone suggested painting them like ghosts with their spirit stones sculpted onto each one, not too hard only problem is learning how to paint lighting effects nicely.

The wraith guard would look good with filed down heards of dryads and something coming out their mouth, i was thinking more hollowing out the eyes and painting them the same colours as the gems through out the army, and then a red glow say coming from their mouths?

Old dragons as fire prisms, newer high elf dragon with hawadan on the back as a falcon?

I wanna try and think of some ideas for fire dragons, so was thinking of elves with a few salamanders just to represent the fire option?

Lord Of The Avatars
23-10-2009, 20:18
OK. I don't think mixing old models with 40k is clever, as
1. You will be told by a shnobby guy in a red shirt at tournies: 'Not real models, sorry, go away and come back with common sense'.
2. It wouldn't suit the eldar. I know these are Exodites but they are Eldar none the less...
You should simply use some Eldar models. Incorporate the exact uses of the aspect warriors into exodites, (example, Howling Banshees' masks on some normal models, and perhaps Scorpion chainswords and Scorpion helmets for Exodite Scorpions). The Exodite armies would not have wraithguard of wraithlords. Wraithbone (the stuff they are made of) is obtained from the core of a craftworld not a planet. Make sure you use the actual guns, not bows! This is a crime against Eldar! But in all seriousness, you should use the actual guns on the models, simply because the exodites are Eldar who fled before the fall, they still carried with them the technology of their Brethren.
You should try using perhaps High Elf parts on some Exodites, it works well. Hope i Helped!!1!:D

L.O.T.A

JHZ
23-10-2009, 21:13
OK. I don't think mixing old models with 40k is clever
WHFB models = old models? Besides, I have Dechala the Denied One as my Chosen Champion and Drycha along with some 3rd party Drayds as lesser daemons. Just to name a few. Number of problems = Zero, zip, nada.

1. You will be told by a shnobby guy in a red shirt at tournies: 'Not real models, sorry, go away and come back with common sense'.
Same dudes also denied the use of Dark Angel robed vets as Sterguard because they look too much like normal Marines (they were the only robed unit in the army) and Rogue Trader era Marines because they're just too old and pops needs to get some new stuff.

There are five billion tournaments for every GW one. Check any one of them out instead.

2. It wouldn't suit the eldar. I know these are Exodites but they are Eldar none the less...
You should simply use some Eldar models. Incorporate the exact uses of the aspect warriors into exodites, (example, Howling Banshees' masks on some normal models, and perhaps Scorpion chainswords and Scorpion helmets for Exodite Scorpions). The Exodite armies would not have wraithguard of wraithlords. Wraithbone (the stuff they are made of) is obtained from the core of a craftworld not a planet. Make sure you use the actual guns, not bows! This is a crime against Eldar! But in all seriousness, you should use the actual guns on the models, simply because the exodites are Eldar who fled before the fall, they still carried with them the technology of their Brethren.
You should try using perhaps High Elf parts on some Exodites, it works well. Hope i Helped!!1!:D
Aspect warriors are the invention of Craftworld Eldar after the Fall. The Exodites were the first ones to leave, like long before the empire even began to show serious signs of decay. So they're totally different from Craftworld and Dark Eldar.

In Xenology the exodite Eldar wore rough textured, simple clothes, instead of mesh armour or some fancy silk robes with complicated patterns. In several GW conversions and by the pictures I've seen on Epic exodite units, they ride on lizards, big lizards and I think there were some flying lizards in there as well. Their armour was different from Craftworlders and so forth. Exodites, after all, base their life on manual labour. They're the amish of 40K, believing that idle hands are the Great Enemy's playground. They might have tech, but they don't use it. They don't have ships nor real anti-orbital weapon batteries. They can resist invasion to extent, but without Craftworld aid, their silly asses are grass and grass don't grow on heavy industry Hive Worlds.

Also, if you check the 4th edition rulebook for Kill Team, you will see some Corsair conversion, which are made with lots of WHFB stuff in the mix, instead of just mesh armour and craftworld guns. So so much for "Eldar by any other allegiance."

As for guns, the DE and CWE have totally different weaponry, so why should the Exodites sport CWE guns? When they left the empire, technology was on a totally different level. Just look at the DE. They got dark matter guns and all, where as the CWE's tech level is closer to the Imperiums. Lasers, solid projectile guns, bigger lasers, missiles, some sonic guns and plasmas. Only exotic weaponry are mainly Warp based. No guns that fire crystalline fear at you, or swallow all your hope with an emotional black hole.

peterjameslewis711
23-10-2009, 22:14
I have to side with you (JHZ), iv never seen any tournament where they shun such things, i mean theres a perfect example at a gt tourny of pretty much the same idea i have here, using wood elf models as guardians etc, and even he had wraith guard the dryad look (all be it they had guns but still).

I was always under the impression the "aspects" were after eldar left and before the main problems with the nids, so what i want is a sorta "ghost" themed army of sorts with say the elven side of them fighting purely by want of will alone, hence using normal models without the armour.
Any yea ok i can see where people are coming from with using helmets off models, but still thats basically saying right forget the point of this (cheaper army) and buy twice as many models for asthetic purposes alone.
The hope was to be able to make a cool and effective looking army for a lot less than a normal army, all be it that i wanna get wraith guard from dryads but still some of the other stuff is much more expensive (dragons with hawadans over a fireprism model, or giant spiders used just for all the legs to convert sorta spider elves as warp spiders).

Thanks guys all the help is much appreshiated.