PDA

View Full Version : Do you use the chainfist, and why?

Chaplain Desmodus
24-10-2009, 13:49
The chainfist automatically destroys any door that is attacked by the terminator. This costs 1AP and requires that the termie stands right in front of the door.

Simply opening the door also costs 1AP, and you can open door in all of your forward facing squares, including doors that are diagonally to the left or right, potentially saving 1AP for moving/turning.

So what's the benefit of using the CF? :confused:

For that matter, why would anyone want to close assault a door?

Cpt. Drill
24-10-2009, 14:09
Jammed doors?

I would say their are very rarely situations when I would reather destroy a door than just open it. I guess if there is a chance that the stealers may close the door so they can move blips past undetected you might want it destroyed.

grissom2006
24-10-2009, 18:22
Destroying a door has it's uses stops over watch triggers by opening and closing a door so they jam the Storm Bolter.

Patriarch
25-10-2009, 11:00
Generally the marines sweep areas of stealers as they move through the map. If your CF guy has reached a door in order to destroy it (unable to shoot it as he advances for some reason) then the stealers are no longer a problem in this area. In other words, the CF is mostly useless in 3rd ed.

The CF originally appeared at the same time as bulkheads - similar to 3rd ed's jammed doors except there was no way to shoot them. So unless you were using a close combat marine/captain/librarian, the CF was the most efficient way to deal with them.

Cpt. Drill
25-10-2009, 13:19
Destroying a door has it's uses stops over watch triggers by opening and closing a door so they jam the Storm Bolter.

As far as I understand you do not have to shoot at an opening or closing door in overwatch, you do have the option to though.

Patriarch
25-10-2009, 18:26
As far as I understand you do not have to shoot at an opening or closing door in overwatch, you do have the option to though.
No, it's not an option. Overwatch shots aren't voluntary, you have to keep shooting. The only way to stop deliberately stop taking shots is to perfrom
another action.

wilsongrahams
25-10-2009, 19:23
Also, the jammed doors do not appear in missions using the chainfist - an oversight I believe, but I basically use him as a standard terminator as it's not as if he costs extra points or anything.

Znail
26-10-2009, 05:38
Also, the jammed doors do not appear in missions using the chainfist - an oversight I believe, but I basically use him as a standard terminator as it's not as if he costs extra points or anything.

That is amusing in a GW kind of way :)

wilsongrahams
26-10-2009, 19:11
I agree. I couldn't believe they left him out, but then I also believe he should be in the missions using Squad Lorenzo so then he WOULD be in those missions, so check with your partner. (Valancio is part of Sqaud Lorenzo in the fluff).

eek107
26-10-2009, 22:38
Marines should always be destroying doors wherever possible, to open up as many firing lanes as they can. Genestealers can close doors to cut off a rearguard, trigger Overwatch fire, or gather a whole bunch behind the door and rush back in without getting shot up quite so much as if they ran down an open corridor.

The one incident that prompted this realization for me was in one of the later missions. I had one marine covering the others further down the corridor, who had every other approach to themselves covered by Overwatch/Guard. My opponent closed the door between them and my rearguard, giving him free reign to tear apart the group from behind. Had the door been destroyed, I'd have had several moves worth of Overwatch fire to prevent that.

The Chainfist gives you the certainty of spending that 1AP to destroy the door, as opposed to shooting it which is a matter of chance. You should always be taking your free shots during movement/turning at any available doors, but the Chainfist is a good backup for when that fails to do the job.

CyberShadow
27-10-2009, 12:25
OK, now I have the image of a Genestealer round a corner, chuckling as he presses the door button continuously, the door wooshing open and closed rapidly as the poor Terminator empties his clip into it, fumbling for the emergency stop button on his overwatch! :D

Patriarch
27-10-2009, 12:53
Marines should always be destroying doors wherever possible, to open up as many firing lanes as they can. Genestealers can close doors to cut off a rearguard, trigger Overwatch fire, or gather a whole bunch behind the door and rush back in without getting shot up quite so much as if they ran down an open corridor.
Doors can also occasionally be a pain for genestealers for two reasons; they need to waste an AP to open them, and this is frequently the lead model in a stealer/blip parade. That means all the other stealers have wasted an AP as well. If the door is out of overwatch range, you haven't really lost anything.
The second reason is that if you're lucky, having the door in the way can force a 3-blip to lose one or more stealers if it voluntarily converts before opening.

ecurtz
28-10-2009, 02:48
I use the chainfist in the "jammed door" missions because I replace the pointless jammed doors with 1st edition bulkheads which actually affect gameplay. The chainfist isn't the issue, this stupid 3rd edition rule change is.