PDA

View Full Version : scrubout's gettin' back in black (sounds cool)

Pages : [1] 2 3

scrubout
24-01-2006, 02:42
I am...ashamed...

For the past year, I have collected enough models to field a decent mechanized force. To this day, I have only played a handful of games due to how ashamed of my army I am. I wish to have it fully painted before going to the local hobby shop, or the closest mecca to my hometown, the San Francisco GW Hobby Center for some special events.

I am...inspired...

Deadley is in a much worse situation than I am!:p And as such, I've decided to post a log here to get some models painted and hopefully some motivation.

My list of tasks to complete is as follows:
-Paint 2 Chimera tanks, as well as convert new turrets for them.
-Paint a Leman Russ Demolisher
-Paint a Leman Russ Exterminator
-Paint a full squad of Kasrkin
-Convert a Hardened Veteran Squad
-Paint a Command Squad
-Assemble 8 Hormagaunts
-Assemble 2 Tyranid Warriors
-Assemble a Hive Tyrant w/wing conversion

The tyranids are my girlfriends, she's in charge of painting those (but I'm supposed to assemble them for her :angel: ) I have already begun work on the hardened veteran squad (the one's that don't require the cadian upgrades from FW to be completed) but pics will have to wait until my girlfriend can get her better digital camera over for me to use (or maybe she's just better at pictures than me...which could also be the case...lol).

I have but one question for those of you reading...hopefully you got this far...My first Kasrkin squad has red right shouldpads, and I was planning since the start to give each squad a different colored shoulderpad. Which means I may end up with a slightly rainbow-ish looking army...Some special squads as added (such as special weapons, or command) could have dark lines down the middle of their colored shoulderpads to distinguish them as such. Anyway! The question, the question! Shall I go ahead with the different colored shoulder pads? Or do I stick with blood red?

Expect pictures in the next couple days if not sooner, I only plan on painting this army to a table-top standard...I'm no golden demon winner. For now, I work on the fatigues of my kasrkin squad.

-peace out
scrubout:skull:

FearFrost
24-01-2006, 03:00
I think the different color pads could work, but keep the unit type marks the same, ie 2 stripes on the pads of all kasrkin, regardless of squad. I think thats what you meant.

Or, you could keep the pads all red, and make the stripes different colors on different squads?

Get some pics up!

Oh yeah, and black stripes look really cool when flanked by white stripes, especially over a color.

-Brian

MIGHTYPanhead
24-01-2006, 03:07
advice? go with only red, but with variations in patterns

say, a red triangle for one platoon, a whole red for another, a stripe, etc..

scrubout
24-01-2006, 03:11
Ya, the more I think about my color co-ordinated squads the more I like it. The basic grenadiers will have solid coloured shouldpads, save for the skull marking (regiment inisignia) I am applying. I will keep the black between white lines idea in mind, as it sounds promising for a command squad, special weapons, etc.

I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance to take decent ones! Nice job on your own Eldar army btw, keep up the good work!

*edit*: Good idea Panhead! I'm gonna stick with my multiple colors, but your own idea could come in hand as well! We'll see when I get to the command squad.

-peace out

scrubout
28-09-2006, 19:32
Well, it's back, after many many many many many months of hibernation, silent contemplation, and nervous twitching I have decided to resurrect my project log thread. Expect the first pictures tonight.

I really need help though. I'm looking for good, reliable, solid motivators. I need like a 40k hobby sponsor(s) like Alcoholics Anonymous has sponsors. Any constructive feedback is much obliged.

I have since decided, mostly during the silent contemplation stage of this thread's hiatus, that I will do one model at a time to insure I actually make progress. Speed painting bores me to death and no progress is made. I am taking Schoolcormarants (sp, sorry mate) example and will slow down the progress of getting my army done in the hopes that I will actually get it done!

-peace out

*ping* Threadomancy skill +5!

no-use4a-name
28-09-2006, 20:15
I know how hard it is to try and get an IG Army completed. I've tried to have one done for over 4 years now. Between deciding on an army list, color scheme or even the theme. I just couldn’t get it finished.

It wasn't until recently, around early August/late July, that I finally settled on doing an Armored Company vs. that of a Mechanized one. The progress I've made couldn't have be done if it wasn't for the words of encouragement that my fellow Warseers have made in my Project Log. I can’t wait to hear their feedback of my posted picts. Good or bad. It helped me to break through the “IG Hobby block” I was suffering from.

I'm not sure if this is a fad or just great timing but, there have been a lot of IG Project logs lately. Maybe, in some strange way, we've all helped to motivate each other. Either through friendly rivalry, or from the simple progress we've made with our armies being an inspiration. Most likely it's from the lighting of a match and it's placement under our own rears.

Good luck to you. And, if you need to use Deadly or SC as examples of how to get your IG completed, use ‘em. I know I did, amongst others.

And post some picts ASAP. It’ll help.

Deadleyheadley
28-09-2006, 20:29
I am...ashamed...

I am...inspired...

Deadley is in a much worse situation than I am!:p And as such, I've decided to post a log here to get some models painted and hopefully some motivation.

-peace out

good luck With your army mate ,I will keep my eye on this log ,And as for my Situation ,Im not doing too bad with my armys 2 down 4 to go :D

schoolcormorant
28-09-2006, 22:18
listen to No-use-4-a-name, he's a serious veteran, especially with armoured companies.
it's true progress has slowed on my own army, i like to do one or two at a time because you actually get somewhere.

looking forward to pics - get something done! :)

SC

scrubout
28-09-2006, 22:50
Well, just to provoke some interest in the mean time. Here's a picture of a supply vehicle I will be completing...um...eventually...stay tuned :eek: ?

I apologize for size too by the way, it's something I've still got to sort out.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/?action=view&current=DSCN2378.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

*edit*: oi! Don't be fooled by the paint job on that guardsmen there! My painting has improved significantly since last summer. Everyone can expect pics of my most recent grenadier by about 10pm pacific time tonight. He's doesn't look like that either...lol, poor fella. I shall call him "Sarge" and he will be my scale comparison model.

-peace out

ice
29-09-2006, 05:44
keep the painting going! I'm proud to have you post in my project log, therefore i hope your prooud to have me post in yours :)

scrubout
29-09-2006, 06:07
Ice, how could I not be honored?

Here are the latest pics, bear with me, they should get better over time.

I am attempting to add a makeshift bayonet to this guy, greenstuff will be applied later as some sort of bracket to hold it in place or binding material like rope. I just realized too that the picture with his right fist shows some white marks on it, this is my first attempt at writing litanies and hymns and such about the Emperor on any model. It's something I'm gonna have to learn well, considering I've decided that after participation on Medusa V my regiment has become extremely dedicated to the Imperial Cult on account of Saint Pius reborn fighting next to them. Any tips on that would be great. I also gotta go back and 'jewel, effect' whatever it's called to the lenses of this fella and most of the others in his perpetual-near-completion state.

All constructive criticism is welcome and comments greatly appreciated. I will answer questions if there are any too. Once I get some final touch ups I'll do his base.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2437.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2436.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2432.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2438.jpg

-peace out
scrubout (I don't wanna post again for just one image that's kinda shoddy, so the skull stays out...for now)

schoolcormorant
29-09-2006, 14:40
he looks really good, i like the extra detail on the grenade kudos :)
good colour scheme too, a bit different, a bit Elysian, a bit cool!
also, how do you do mud on the boots, it looks really realistic?

one minor point, (i like the red lenses, i too have the same... hey wait a minute!) just kidding, but, if you want to get em' looking really good, try, applying scab red all over lense or glass, then paint half of it in red gore, at a diagonal across, or on eye lenses across the bottom, then blood red half again, then a line of blazing orange, then a really thin line of fiery orange, wash with neat red ink, allow to dry then do a tiny white dot at the opposing point to the lightest colour (in this case on the scab red bit).

keep it up and looking for more pics everyday :)

SC
PS where is the vehicle from page 1 from, did you make it?

scrubout
29-09-2006, 15:00
Yay, some fraggin' interest now! Thanks SC, this is really helpful.

I look forward to doing the lenses...:p . Thanks for the help about that, I'll try your steps when I can pick up some of the missing colors I need. I planned on having red lenses and vehicle view ports for the past 2 years when these models first came out, I didn't steal your idea! You sent sneaky psyker monkeys to spy on my thoughts!

As for the mud, this will sound strange I imagine, but it's just graveyard earth slopped all over his lower half. Before I slop on the graveyard earth (I guess this batch was watered down by GW or something, thats why it doesn't cling too thick) I take some chaos black on my brush and get a lot of water on the brush and run it along all the cracks and stuff to create shadow. It's like a poor man's wash, but it does the job and doesn't look too bad. I don't really worry about the black wash going everywhere too, because the graveyard earth (wash, I suppose?) will cover it up and make it look good.

Glad someone noticed the 'special grenade', it's a smoke grenade for cities of death. When I get my death korps for my 20 man conscript platoon I will have to assemble some of them with grenades, but conscripts can't take grenades and that irked me. So my regiment has colourful grenades, dark angel green is frag, red gore is krak, metallic w/yellow is smoke, and metallic egg style grenades are melta. Colour coding is the way to go. :D

The vehicle I posted earlier I assembled, sort of, before I lost interest. I have to build an entirely new rear section for it and that will be a pain. Sorry, I digress a lot, but it is a 1/48 scale scud launcher kit from a japanese model kit company by the name of Arii.

I'll post more pictures later, I gotta get my room clean for my gf...and I'm puppy sitting.

More comments are welcome!!!

-peace out

no-use4a-name
29-09-2006, 15:19
I like the fatigues a lot. However, I find the carapace a little too flat. Is that the finished effect? I think it could either benfit from some shading or, use it as a base and highlight further. Also, before I forget, the littanies came out great.

Metal Fingered Villain
29-09-2006, 16:23
He looks pretty good, nice crisp paintjob. I however think he could use some shading. Maybe a watered down scorched brown shade for the fatigues and then a really watered down chaos black for the armour. Then, when thats done I would reapply highlights and then around the edges of the armour apply a thin highlight of fortress grey. Trust me, this will make a huge difference in the appearance of this model.

Bluesabre
29-09-2006, 16:36
Definately need some more definition on the carapace armour, either highlighting or shading or both will make a difference to the end product.
Looking good otherwise, I think that in general that Graveyard earth is a bit on the thin side compared to others in the range.

Colonel Jacka
29-09-2006, 23:13
Scubby,

You will get there mate. I've been working my IG for about 8 years now. Its big with 20 Chimera's let alone any thing else. Last count I had 200 figures plus. Its a full Mech IG Company now. Do you know how I did it. Small bites. Just keep doing it at half a squad at a time or a single vehicle. Do it in small bits and you will find your army will build in no time.

Mate where did you get that model for the supply vehicle! :D I must have! :eyebrows: Now! :D

Here are some of my Lads.

scrubout
30-09-2006, 06:01
Mate where did you get that model for the supply vehicle!

Thanks for the feedback commander, we certainly gave 'em hell on Medusa V. That supply vehicle is from Medusa V, now one of few evacuated from the planet before it's death. It is manufactured by a Japanese company known as Arii, in 1/48th scale! Cheap too, like $15 or so on ebay. They also make different variants of the chasis, one with a scud launcher (I will use my missile for a terrain piece...someday) or a patriot missile launcher for example.

So, without further ado...

More pics. I highlighted the grey armour with fortress grey, hopefully you can see the difference, I also highlighted the gun/targeter/bayonet with some fortress grey too. Also managed to shade some other areas of the model I missed with some more watered down chaos black, the backpack is most noticeable. I am very proud of this model, this is by far and above all the best model I have painted to date since picking up this hobby 4 years ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2441.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2442.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2444.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2446.jpg

Sorry they are not the best, but they will have to do for now...if I finish his base soon enough I can take pictures with real sunlight!

Once again, any comments and constructive criticism welcome...even a 'woot woot you are the roxxors me soxors!!1!' post is great motivation. Thanks again to everyone. I'm gonna have his base ready for priming by tomorrow and hopefully have finished pics by the afternoon or so.

-peace out
scrubout (Mr. Death bit the dust again...)

schoolcormorant
30-09-2006, 07:45
it defineltly looks better, the head looks an awful lot better; one point your pics aren't great, so how can you expect lots of feedback - i had the same trouble.
does your camera have a 'scene' function or close-up function? on scene you can turn it to close up and it will be fine.
highlights loom great, and now only 20 or 30 more to go...
SC

Colonel Jacka
30-09-2006, 11:37
Thanks for the feedback commander, we certainly gave 'em hell on Medusa V. That supply vehicle is from Medusa V, now one of few evacuated from the planet before it's death. It is manufactured by a Japanese company known as Arii, in 1/48th scale! Cheap too, like $15 or so on ebay. They also make different variants of the chasis, one with a scud launcher (I will use my missile for a terrain piece...someday) or a patriot missile launcher for example.

Mate he is looking good. Try doing six at a time you will find it improves your painting.

Hey that truck would look good with a deathstrike! :eyebrows::D

scrubout
30-09-2006, 20:05
Hehe, it would look great for the basis of Death Strike Missile Launcher...too bad Airbase 6 wasn't destroyed by my Death Strike Missile tactic...not enough players helped with narratives! Que sera, sera.

Anyway, I have just finished the basing of my grenadier (in a psuedo ashwastes-CoD style), he is now complete except for insignia on the left and right shoulder pads. Which brings me to my next questions:

a) How do you/what do you use to seal a model with so it doesn't get as scratched or scuffed during game play, but is still able to recieve a paint job (without stripping the model of everything) if you feel you have just have to go back and give the model more litanies, paint lenses, etc?

b) What do people use to keep transfers stuck onto models and REDUCE shine of the transparency. I have been driven mad with the shiny shoulder pad situation before, any advice on this would be much obliged.

I will post pictures, I promise they will be better this time, of the 95% completed model on it's base at around 10:30 pacific time. For my next project I will attempt three grenadier models in a toned down assembly line paint schedule, one of which is armed with a grenade launcher *oooooo, ahhhhhh*!

Any help with my two questions, a and b, would be very helpful!

-peace out

Colonel Jacka
30-09-2006, 22:14
Scruby,

A couple of answers for you.

a) How do you/what do you use to seal a model with so it doesn't get as scratched or scuffed during game play, but is still able to recieve a paint job (without stripping the model of everything) if you feel you have just have to go back and give the model more litanies, paint lenses, etc?

First of all don't use te current purity seal (vanish) by GW it is crap. Bugger me, it has almost wrecked a couple of my figures. :eyebrows: What I use is normal matt varish from paint shops. The best source is artist shops and get the matt varnish they use on oil paintings. It works a treat! :D Yes you can add things but then just use touch up cleat vanish the best is a pot of matt Humbrol of Revel Varnish. Both good and availible in UK and US.

What do people use to keep transfers stuck onto models and REDUCE shine of the transparency. I have been driven mad with the shiny shoulder pad situation before, any advice on this would be much obliged.

The ducks guts is (the best) is Super Set which is a clear liquid decal setting solution which you can get from any good hobby store! Hope this helps mate.

schoolcormorant
30-09-2006, 23:18
personall i put a litle matt varnish over the transfer, carefull not to get over on to the rest of the fig.

SC

scrubout
02-10-2006, 03:31
Update!

I hearby declare this fella 95% complete! Huzza huzza!

Flash
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2472.jpg
Without Flash (which do you all prefer?)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2476.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2481.jpg

And my next subjects! Look at that hideous mold line on the grenade launcher dude! Wicked nasty!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2484.jpg

Looking forward to commentary, even if it's 'hey, this pics suck, give us something better to work with'...which would then mean you should try and lead me towards that goal...maybe? Dunno. Thanks everyone so far.

-peace out
scrubout

ice
02-10-2006, 07:55
lookin good Scrubout, keep up the fine work! pics to come soon for my thread! <--- shameless plug! :D

schoolcormorant
03-10-2006, 21:32
i like the colour scheme...still, lol, the job's really nice, kasrkin are so much fun to paint. really well based too, really natural pose :) i like the weathering on him, i haven't the skill nor the ingenuity to weather anything, except my wallet.

just out of interest, is this your first army?
oh and where did you get the skull from for the base?

SC

charlie_c67
03-10-2006, 22:26
With flash you have a sharper pic but without shows the difference in colour better.

scrubout
03-10-2006, 22:56
So I suppose people prefer the not flashed pics? Which do you like more Charlie?

Was that a "I don't like the colour scheme" SC?...not so loud, you'll hurt his feelings...*ahem*, that aside, thank you very much for your encouragement regardless, without you guys I feel much less motivated to do anything. If you really like my weathering, just get a bottle of graveyard earth (it tends to be pretty thin I'm told) and just test it on one of your own models. I don't do any more weathering to my models, it seems sufficient enough for my tastes.

This is my first army...um...sort of. I first got into the Warhammer 40k Universe with Epic Armageddon, the older version, and still have the remants of old blood angels kicking about in my model boxes painted red with little silvery details, and then I tried battlefleet gothic and painted some puke/neon green ships (they were'nt nurgle either!) but never really played any games with either system. So you could sort of say I've been off/on the hobby for about 5 years now, but currently right now is my most best effort to play games and assemble a really nice army.

The skull is from battlewagon bits (www.bwbits.com), from the fantasy range...probably chaos. I ordered about 3 skulls.

I love my Kasrkin models! I do, I do!

More updates later, I may get another grenadier ready for completion tomorrow, but I have a feeling Darkseer is gonna be mad if I put off copy editing this last FIREBASE article, and I've got lots of studying to do for Algebra (curse you Math 155! :mad: Why must you confound me so!?)

-peace out

charlie_c67
03-10-2006, 23:02
How about trying with a plain background so the camara can only focus on the mini. Then take the pic at as big a setting as u can, and trim the resulting pic down to a reasonable size.

schoolcormorant
03-10-2006, 23:11
no offence, but if you read the post it says I DO like the colour scheme!

oh and BTW i haven't mentioned this before, but i like what you did with red in the respirator, it breaks up the black really nicely, and FYI to lightly highlight the respirator, take 50:50 chaos black and codex grey, and apply little lines on the horizontal bits, it looks really good under light and it is fairly subtle mmmmmm.... subtle!
lol
SC

scrubout
03-10-2006, 23:20
In all honesty I thought you may have forgotten the all important "don't" :p .

I'm gonna see if I can't fashion a small box out of white printer paper, or cardboard to take pics of my mini's...something small, and quick to make. Barring that possibility, I'll try my best from now on to get natural light pictures (that's gonna be difficult though because it's starting to be winter again here in Nor Cal, IT'S NOT SUNNY ALL THE TIME YOU KNOW!!!)

-peace out

schoolcormorant
04-10-2006, 13:28
Ok i see what you mean :)

why not try a piece of A3 paper, i don't know if they call it a differnet neme there but it's one up from normal printer size paper.

just fold it in half, open it out, rest one half up against a wall or something then put the other half flush to the table, and stand the mini on it, then you will have the back wall covered and the mini standing on white.

SC

scrubout
05-10-2006, 23:31
Well...

IT'S MY EIGHTEENTH BIRTHDAY TODAY!!! WOOT! *confetti and streamers burst through air, fireworks explode in the sky*...now that that REALLY important update is over, on to the update that hardly deserves to be an update. (hey, if SC can do it, so can I...especially on my birthday!)

So for my birthday I've decided to ask my mum for a platoon of vostroyans, this means I can have some variety in painting metal miniatures. It also fits the fluff nicely about my army picking up a company of straggling Vosts (the 123rd by the way) as they escaped from Hive Sybilla Primus on Medusa V. They also have carapace armour, which means I don't have to model more of that fraggin' green stuff on cadian plastics *praise the Lord!*.

So here's my question, what colour schemes, besides the common red for Vostroyans do you suggest to coincide/clash with my grenadiers? I'm hoping to find some sort of gaudy colouring...still make them look like they should be guarding an Imperial Palace rather than a smoked out hab block, ya know? Without the red!

http://medusav.us.games-workshop.com/hobby/painting/vostroyan_paint_schemes/1.htm

Anything there interest you guys? Remember that they will be based just like my grenadiers on urban ruin bases.

----------------

New rant, What happened to the Urban Basing Kit???? Does GW no longer sell it? I need to see if I can't get a hold of any more, because I couldn't find it on the US online store...I'm gonna cry if they don't sell any more...I like the overpriced slate and cute resin bitz....

----------------

I'm going to Japan-Town in San Francisco tomorrow and will hopefully be able to visit the local GW Mecca in the mean time, it's sort of a birthday event (more for my girlfriend than me though..:rolleyes: ), so I'll see if I can post more progress tomorrow, I have work tonight and gotta get going.

-peace out

ice
06-10-2006, 06:56
The urban basing kit, sadly no longer exists! i tried to order one straight from GW and they told me they had none. Now if your interested in Resin bits, i can send you the Resin sprues my Cadian Command sqaud came with! lol
P.S Happy b-day

schoolcormorant
06-10-2006, 12:36
hey, indeed SC can :D and happy birthday and may my fury at my birthday being in february cheer you up always.

Urban basing kit was limited edition, try getting a hero basing kit, out now!
you can get the slate from our hobby brothers the railway modellers stores.

i would suggest typical brassy armour and black or grey cloth. they're guarding a palace so don't need camo - it's up to you though obviously :)

i got an afternoon away from college so i'm doing some painting :) and some work :(

SC

scrubout
07-10-2006, 22:22
Hi,

This is the Order that you have submitted to the Games Workshop US Online Store. We will begin processing it as soon as possible.

1 Vostroyan Lascannon Team 99060105194 $15.00
1 Vostroyan Platoon 99110105199 $90.00
Shipping $.00 Taxes $.00

Yay for birthday presents! :D

I plan on making a 2 squad platoon of Vostroyan equipped with lascannons and plasma, but I'm afraid you won't see them until I finish my 2 squads of grenadiers in their entirety.

*Important! If I post any progress on Vostroyan models before I have finished my Helsreach Grenadiers I openly invite everyone who views this thread to form a singular line and slap me.

As for progress at the moment, no pics are worth it yet, I am attempting to paint 2 Grenadiers at one go. I have completed their bases, so as soon as the models are done with shading/highlighting I can base them L-O-Pronto.

I am making an effort to add extra bits of kit/goodies to each kasrkin model to 'individualise' a little. The bayonet on my first model is an example of this, others will recieve extra packs around shoulders, grenades, knives, etc. It's bad enough painting metals and then buying more, and it makes it a bit more fun when you sit around for 15 minutes deciding what extra goodie to give them. One of my latest has a bipod attached to his hellgun, the one from the plastic scouts.

In the mean time, further advice on colour schemes for Vostroyans is much obliged. So far I have considered black with gold trim/armour, wooden lasguns, and green lenses.

Thus completes todays update of unimportance other than a simple morale stim pack.

-peace out

Colonel Jacka
07-10-2006, 23:34
Scrubie,

Slap you huh! No problems! *Jacka picks up large (and famous) stick* No problems at all mate! :evilgrin:

Just remember do the figures six or seven figures at a time and you will do them in no time. A squad at time then move on to the next unit. Every 2 or 3 Squads do a Vehicle. Oh did I tell you my next big project is a Command Vehicle for IG based on the Star Wars Land Crawler model. :eyebrows: :eyebrows: Yeah the big one!

scrubout
07-10-2006, 23:41
Frickin' sweet Jacka! Got any pics of it before 40k-ification, preferablly with scale model comparison?

I know, I really gotta pick up the pace soon, but I've really only got about 3 Grenadiers left to finish my two squads, but then I get to go back and re-shade/highlight to make them look better and make some more bases. Then I'll do a Chimera I've already made to shake off the kasrkin-fetish a little while.

Thanks for stopping by Jacka, I should really post something on FatD soon...:angel:

-peace out

Colonel Jacka
07-10-2006, 23:55
Scrubie,

When I start I will do a thread so you can watch its construction. It will be powered by three Leman Russ (no turrent) attach to the main body or two of the new plastic Baneblades.

scrubout
27-10-2006, 06:29
Alright, long time no update!

*ping, threadomancy +1* Yes!

First off is a couple pics of my grenadiers showing off their extra kit. Metal models have a lot of similar poses, so giving them unique (usually) extra gubbinz makes it a bit more fun and variety-like.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2646.jpg
Bi-pod Goody!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2645.jpg
Ammo Pouches Goody!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2643.jpg
Backpack Goodies!

More pictures in next post...

scrubout
27-10-2006, 06:31
This here is a Chibi (Japanese for 'little') -Tank, counts as sentinel with armoured crew compartment and lascannon, found in Helsreach mechanized regiments. It is made from a 1/72nd Panzer Tiger 'something or other variant' where I proceeded to add various 40k-ification bitz.

Enjoy! I plan on adding kill markings during a gaming group campaign starting next year and adding some litanies to it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2642.jpg
Right side shot, the smiley face full of teeth on the turret is on the other side too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2638.jpg
Oh, heres the other side, but the little black crescent moon shape is a scorpion tail (think NOD from Command and Conquer inspiration).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2641.jpg
And a close-up of those pearly whites!

Comments and Constructive Criticism much obliged!

-peace out

Luke
27-10-2006, 10:24
Cool, a "tankette". I love those things. Nice job. Any pics from the front?

synapse
27-10-2006, 11:15
That's cool, thoug hcare to explain how it has a WS value? :p

schoolcormorant
27-10-2006, 11:39
that's genius! there's a guide on GW US on how to make one...an expensive on :rolleyes: i didn't relaise you'd got some FW upgrades. (the backpack i mean)
SC

Colonel Jacka
27-10-2006, 13:38
Scrubie,

Mate thats excellant! Fits in the class of Stewart Tanks in WWII. Light tanks good for Recon and Ambush. Very nice I'm impressed!

scrubout
27-10-2006, 15:19
That's cool, thoug hcare to explain how it has a WS value? :p

Drivers of the Chibi tank have made it common practice to try and run enemies over with their tanks, however reckless this may be...*imagines tank bumping into carnifex with malicious intent*...

Ya, I don't really have an answer for it, but I'm still happy with it! How many people charge things with their sentinels anyway...? I'll keep mine back until it pops!

Does anyone think I should try simulating the WS value in some way? Perhaps get a hold of a couple of catachan sentinel buzzsaws and put them on the front?

Any thoughts?

@SC Yes, I do have a few of the cadian upgrade packs from FW, the targetters and shotguns one. I just haven't shown them off too much yet because I'm still trying to focus on finishing my kasrkin aka Grenadiers models. On the previous page one of my grenadiers has a FW knife on his backpack, and a special pouch of some sort too on it (in brown).

IF YOU LOOK ON THE PREVIOUS PAGE EVERYONE I HAVE 3 PICS OF NEW TROOPS I DID...seems like my latest post kind of masked it...:eyebrows:

-peace out

charlie_c67
27-10-2006, 15:23
No NEED! It's looks great as it is and I think adding buzzsaws would just spoil it. Just my 2p.

Colonel Jacka
27-10-2006, 15:26
No NEED! It's looks great as it is and I think adding buzzsaws would just spoil it. Just my 2p.

Me to Scrubie! It looks great, but you know me I would have had someone hanging out the cuploa!

EmperorsChamp01
27-10-2006, 17:09
Looks good but there is one thing bothering me. I live in japan so i know some of the lingo. And Chibi doesnt mean small. If you want to mean small you would say Tsucoshe (pronounced Sue-co-she)
Dammit off topic.

Keep it up man i love IG threads. and the Kasirkins look good.

schoolcormorant
27-10-2006, 17:16
you could add a dozer blade, a space marine one,. that looks vicious! could skewer some people good...anybody seen signs?!

SC

ice
27-10-2006, 18:04
looking good mate, keep up the awesome work, you have Jacka psoting in your thread, that must mean something;)

scrubout
06-12-2006, 06:49
Tsucoshe (pronounced Sue-co-she)

What the hell does chibi stand for then? I'll change it, of course, no disrespect but of the internet translations I've found they also said chibi meant small!

Anyway *ping*, it's back yet again. Expect an update of my 95% complete squad of grenadiers, packing some serious green glowey plasma, and some pics of my Demolisher in about 24 hours!

Watch this space!

*Edit*: and so this post has a little more merit, I have a question for my fellow porte..errr, warseers. My Vostroyans need to be painted, thus far we have grey ones, red ones, green ones, and brown ones (not to mention light blue ghostly possessed ones) done by other members. How does purple with white/grey hats sound for my own? I'm open for suggestions!

-peace out

schoolcormorant
06-12-2006, 14:59
i suppose it would be original if anything, tbh i would like to see one before i said "mmm...sounds cool!".

looking forward to pics.

SC

Colonel Jacka
07-12-2006, 10:37
What the hell does chibi stand for then? I'll change it, of course, no disrespect but of the internet translations I've found they also said chibi meant small!
-peace out

You OK mate! Sounding a bit stressed! :cries: Knowing EC01 he meant the comment in a nice way. He is a Perseus IG! One of my lads! :D

scrubout
08-12-2006, 06:51
"You OK mate! Sounding a bit stressed! Knowing EC01 he meant the comment in a nice way. He is a Perseus IG! One of my lads!"

Naw I'm not mad at EC01 at all, just with my own ignorance and lying websites! Ya, I am pretty stressed lately, but the semester is finally starting to wind down and I've got a break in between projects/exams now.

Right then! Pictures! Sorry about the quality of...um, most.

Courtesy of Captain Brown, this fella is now gonna oversee the 317th/XXIII Vostroyan/(and eventually) 88th Death Korps *pending paint job*
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2716.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2741.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2728.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2729.jpg

scrubout
08-12-2006, 06:53
More...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2730.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2732.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2734.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2735.jpg

scrubout
08-12-2006, 06:54
More...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2737.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2738.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2739.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2747.jpg

scrubout
08-12-2006, 06:58
More...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2748.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2751.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2753.jpg

I made this make-shift rack for ammo boxes out of some plasticard, I also greenstuffed the ammo chain so it looks like it's dangling off the back semi-used.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2756.jpg

scrubout
08-12-2006, 07:00
Oh thank The Emperor at last...the last pic...for fun too...vroom vroom!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2761.jpg

CnC...please, be nice....too tired...zzzzzzz

-peace out

ice
08-12-2006, 07:09
looking good scrubout, looking good

schoolcormorant
08-12-2006, 10:01
yes, i love the HB conversion on the tank, it looks really good, nice idea on the colours. all the stormtroopers look sharp.
whats next in the pipeline?

SC

scrubout
08-12-2006, 15:18
Thanks for the feedback and interest everyone. It makes my efforts more worthwhile.

Project Pipeline-Must be finished for Campaign in early 2007

-Finish detail on Demolisher
-Finish detail on first 10-man squad of grenadiers
-Finish 1 10-man squad of grenadiers
-Paint 2 Chimera
-Convert/Paint Command HQ

The next squad of grenadiers should take even less time because they only need shading/highlighting/and basing...I hope they take less time anyway! I have a hacked up sergeant that I "converted" a while ago, but I have no decided to revisit him once my Grandma and Grandpa get me a Dremel for Christmas :evilgrin: , they are real nice artsy folks, my Grandfather is a talented carpenter and my Grandmother a wonderful painter. But that's digressing a little isn't it??

First up is finishing the detail on the demolisher though. I've recently gotten my order of purity seals from battlewagon-bits that I will start making greenstuff casts of so I can adorn my tank with purity seals and litanies. The same goes for my first "complete" squad shown on the previous page, they need some more litanies and purity seals on their armour, especially the plasma fellas :D .

The 2 Chimeras are primed black already, so at least they are assembled...

And lastly the Command HQ has to wait for my dremel too, got a headswap or two planned with the kasrkin flamer models and I also gotta sculpt some fraggin' carapace armour on my junior officer (NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!).

Once that is done, the core of the 317th portion of my remnant army, I will then begin on a platoon of Vostroyans...that I am seriously considering doing purple.

Hopefully I can finish most of this project over the next month before the next college semester begins.

-peace out

Codsticker
09-12-2006, 01:33
I like the Demolisher's heavy bolters. Although I normally don't like bright red weapons I like the red and white stripes.

liamrob
09-12-2006, 01:59
Do u water down ur paints. Unless its just me or the camera. Doesn't seem like u water down the paints in some.

Keep up the great work. I also like that 1/72 panzer tank.

Colonel Jacka
09-12-2006, 03:05
Nice work Scruby. I really like the Demolisher.

scrubout
09-12-2006, 06:11
Although I normally don't like bright red weapons I like the red and white stripes.

I agree about the bright weapons, however, I thought the flat space of the predator bolters would be a nice area for some tank squadron markings rather than the bog standard front-of-the-hull GW approach. No offense to you old farts *cough*Jacka*cough*, those red weapons make me giggle sometimes. :p

Do u water down ur paints. Unless its just me or the camera. Doesn't seem like u water down the paints in some.

Keep up the great work. I also like that 1/72 panzer tank.

I water down chaos black for shading on all of models, there isn't much shading done to the demolisher *yet*, but all of the grenadiers have this type of shading. Simple and effective in my opinion.

Thanks for the comments again everyone. When I get some updated pics of my demolisher I'll be sure to post them up asap.

-peace out

Colonel Jacka
09-12-2006, 07:08
Scruby,

No offense taken. :eyebrows: Only the young do not understand the purist IG Army.:D

*Jacka holds his head in an aloof fashion!* :rolleyes:

scrubout
30-12-2006, 06:26
Too make amends for my cruel prod at your greyness Treebeard...err, Jacka, your first in line for the virtual beating.

I painted a couple Vostroyans...purple...and I'm quite content with how they turned out.

First up is a Commissar I recieved from Captain Brown in a trade, I'm gonna have to ask him how he did the skin, because he sent it to me that way, but everything else is done by yours truly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSC_0015.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSC_0012.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSC_0016.jpg

scrubout
30-12-2006, 06:27
Next up is my first Vost, the tester who got far beyond the test stage and somehow got completed...odd...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSC_0008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSC_0007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSC_0010.jpg

scrubout
30-12-2006, 06:30
And lastly, somehow this guy got completed today...I'm just full of enthuisiasm lately...looks like I'll get a proper beating from Old Man..err Jacka for this atrocity!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSC_0004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSC_0002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSC_0019.jpg

Any constructive criticism/commentary/proper beatings are all welcomed.

-peace out

schoolcormorant
30-12-2006, 10:55
they are really good, i'm envious of you for having the stones to attempt lighting effects :angry: everything seems in the right place, my only suggestion would be to water down your paint a touch. the basing is awesome BTW.

SC

Colonel Jacka
30-12-2006, 11:31
Scrubie,

They are looking good. I really like the "Old" Commissar. I wasn't sure about the purple but it works with the Vostroyans.

scrubout
30-12-2006, 17:17
Thanks for the comments. I'm gonna prime up a lascannon team today and see if I can't finish them today, but pics will be poor because my stepfather will be out of town for the day, perhaps I will wait so I can get good pictures for you all.

One of my favorite things to do to bases is to be put spent earthshaker or leman russ shells on them, thankfully I haven't started to do it too much. The shells are actual spent casings from the gun range, I usually pick up a good handful of various sizes whenever I go to shoot with my actual father.

.22's work well for modelling projects.

I'm still trying to get the hang of the lighting effect thing, but it seems to be getting better, I'll try watering down the paints next time schoolcormorant.

-peace out

Light of the Emperor
30-12-2006, 21:02
The purple is quite nice on the Vostroyans...good job! We do have a nice assortment of vostroyans in various color here on warseer...

scrubout
19-01-2007, 23:29
Latest update:

Casaulties...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSC_0005.jpg

Lascannon team...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSC_0010-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSC_0009.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSC_0008-1.jpg

scrubout
19-01-2007, 23:31
Plasma gun servitors...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSC_0001.jpg

Grenadiers w/purity seals (of note: the one with a sword hanging from his power backpack I'm most proud)...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSC_0002-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSC_0004-1.jpg

Any comments/motivation is more than welcome and appreciated.

-peace out

Aalok
19-01-2007, 23:43
The bases look great. The colors blend well together. I'm amazed by the amount of detail in these troops.

Top notch work there!

schoolcormorant
20-01-2007, 02:10
black base rims sheer class :D
excellent work scrubout the OSL on the left plasma sevitor is particularly impressive. only one way to improve really, put an extra thin highlight on blazing orange round the red wax rims.

for razorwire i used to paint it vermin brown then drybrush it with boltgun metal then a wash of thinned brown/black ink 50:50.

SC

T_55
20-01-2007, 12:17
Fantastic looking army so far scrubout, and better yet their not red! Everything looks ace so far though, i also really like those servitor convserions! Good job so far, keep it up!

scrubout
20-01-2007, 15:44
Thanks for the comments Aalok, SC, and T55.

The comments on the OSL from you SC is particularly ego swelling for me, thank you. I don't have blazing orange...yet...

I have a game today against some orks so wish me luck!

*edit*: expect some headswap kasrkin conversions soon...they are looking nice if I do say so myself!

-peace out

schoolcormorant
20-01-2007, 17:46
if you have fiery orange and blood red - 50:50 them and voila blazing orange...kind of.

SC

ice
21-01-2007, 03:00
good looking stuff there man! keep it up

scrubout
26-01-2007, 05:38
Alright, I said I'd do it LotE. I'm waiting on some supplies right now to finish up my wip Griffon tank and am too lazy to finish up my squad of grenadiers....lack of motivation, highly likely...:rolleyes:

WIP Background of my regiment:

-The quick and dirty-
The 317th/XXIII Grenadiers are the result of merging remnants of Helsreach mechanized grenadiers, and their attached 3rd armoured company, with the Vostroyan XXIII "Kharakternyks" (legendary Vostroyan magicians of folklore) when both regiments received shocking casualty rates underneath the tumultuous skies of Medusa V. The massive hive city Sybilla Primus engulfed the majority of casualties in both regiments. What emerged from the bitter hive fighting campaign and storm wrought region is now a capable regiment of battle hardened remnants.

-The Homeland-
The 317th hail from a planet in Segmentum Tempestus, more specifically, the Hell-Stars of the Garon Nebula region by the name of Helsreach. This causes much confusion with the famous Armageddon hive "Helsreach", often causing many Imperial commanders to believe that the 317th is nothing more than the dregs of conscripted Imperial society from one of the most war-torn sections of the galaxy. The planet Helsreach is in fact modeled after the planet Cadia, ever vigilant in it's watch over the Eye of Terror and The Emperor's domain. Naive to the total war economics and rationing of Cadia, Helsreach is able to devote extra resources in it's construction of military equipment and training. This blesses the tithed regiments of Helsreach with standard-issue hellguns and carapace armour that emulates the elite Kasrkin of Cadia, as well as fully mechanized regiments. A Schola Progenium helps facilitate advanced training and produces competent commissars and officers with iron discipline...

I'd love some feedback. In other news, I may be emulating the 317th in Epic scale in the forseeable future.

-peace out

escobar
26-01-2007, 12:22
like the background scrubout - and love the stormtroopers... good work and keep it up

scrubout
26-01-2007, 16:47
Thanks for the comment Escobar!

-peace out

Weregerbil
27-01-2007, 13:19
The background is nice and simple and it works. Nice to see folk coming up with background for their armies.

Voronwe[MQ]
27-01-2007, 13:30
Doesn't people do that mostly? Almost all I knows around here does.

Voronwe

scrubout
27-01-2007, 21:23
Um, ya, it's pretty common for army background but some people don't get into that aspect as much as others...

...as for myself, I've got a lot more planned. :p

Thanks for the comment Weregerbil. What do you think about it Voronwe?

I'll try and get pics of my latest stratagem (my previous was the ammo dump), this time it's a medicae facility...or rather a tent.

-peace out

scrubout
27-01-2007, 22:02
Alright, sorry for the double post, but it's probably worth while.

Completed medicae facility:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2781.jpg

Scale comparison, third crewman for my griffon (it's from an old micromachines toy, gotta love old toy collections!): http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2782.jpg

Whoever names this reference first gets the proverbial cookie:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2780.jpg

It wasn't the best executed of text I *can* do, of that I'm sure, but it's good enough for myself and the campaign I'll be taking part in.

Up next is the griffon...still WIP:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2783.jpg

More in next post...

scrubout
27-01-2007, 22:07
Side details:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2784.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2785.jpg

With planned dozer on back:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2786.jpg

For the front of the Griffon I plan on wrapping the 'lawn-mower' blades with a few strands of razorwire, as well as running some razorwire along the top sides (left and right respectively). These guys are survivors of some harsh cityfight zones, and manning open-topped artillery, I think they'd like some addditional discouragement for unwanted visitors! I am also going to gs some of the mortar to make it better looking.

Question: Does anyone think I should continue the guaze bandage wrap around the heavy mortar? I'm not sure if I should or not...

More pics in next post...

scrubout
27-01-2007, 22:09
Fun with my dremel, gs work in progress:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2787.jpg

Another angle, man he's cool!:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2788.jpg

Any comments, motivation, or blatant insults are welcome. (well not really the insults, but I could really use some feedback)

-peace out

Lew_b81
27-01-2007, 22:59
Woo yeah! Go Scrub! Make the team! Beat the spread! Etc.

Enough motivation? ;)

I've been following for a while, but I don't think I've commented yet. There're some really excellent conversions here (especially this latest one - are those skulls from the Hero Basing Kit (RIP)?). My favourite is the Servitor with Meltagun. Simple conversion but extremely effective. And that light sourcing is great too! :D

scrubout
27-01-2007, 23:11
Woo yeah! Go Scrub! Make the team! Beat the spread! Etc.

Enough motivation? ;)

I've been following for a while, but I don't think I've commented yet. There're some really excellent conversions here (especially this latest one - are those skulls from the Hero Basing Kit (RIP)?). My favourite is the Servitor with Meltagun. Simple conversion but extremely effective. And that light sourcing is great too! :D

Thank you Lew for the comment! I'll take what motivation I can get. And here I was depressed because nobody was replying to my thread...sadly watching it slip away down to the bottom of the project logs...

The skulls are from the hero basing kit, quite a useful kit, if anything I can waste my money on it for more basing slate (real reason to buy it, as well as the nifty skulls). The servitor has a plasma gun, but who cares? Thanks for the comment!

-peace out

Rictus
27-01-2007, 23:17
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2782.jpg

Whoever names this reference first gets the proverbial cookie:

M*A*S*H by any chance?

EDIT: I was so excited I might have the answer I forgot to add I really like what you are doing. As for using bandage, I have used it myself a few time for camo netting and to be honest I still can't decide if I like it or not. That's not really very helpfull is it? Sorry.

scrubout
27-01-2007, 23:22
M*A*S*H by any chance?

Here, here! *hands proverbial cookie to Rictus* Thanks for checking out my log Rictus!

Background reasoning: The 317th/XXIII Grenadiers have been in several theatres of war and have not been unknown to loot weapons, equipment, etc. Looks like they found an abandoned medicae shelter somewhere.

As I start converting more troops, for example my third chimera crewman, you'll start seeing some unique autoguns and lasguns showing up.

*edit*: Discussion is always helpful Rictus, if you notice I've got some of it on my griffon already, I'm just not sure if I want it draped over my mortar, might be a bit out of place I reckon. Thanks again for the comment!

-peace out

highmarshaldave
28-01-2007, 00:08
Alas! For I are beaten to it! Curse thee Rictus! On a 4+ I hunt thee down!

[dice0]

Nice models Scrubout, keep up the good work. Have you plans for any other regiment's models in the force?

Dave out.

T_55
28-01-2007, 01:17
Great job so far Scrubout, like the griffon. A very cool head swap as well, well the griffon be painted differently?

scrubout
28-01-2007, 05:55
Thanks for the comments highmarshaldave and T_55!

Hehe, what a fun new feature dave:

On a 4+ I do some more modelling tonight, if I fail I play halo on my mac.
[dice0]

The griffon is still very wip, as I mentioned, I want to add some razorwire around the outside of it to discourage unwanted visitors and bulk up the mortar some to make it look better (It's really badly cast at the front of the gun anyway if you can't tell from the pics). Alas, I digress, I plan on painting it a grey, similiar to my painting in progress demolisher. I'm still not happy with that beast either, I'm seriously considering picking up some mig paints to do it up nicer.

*edit*: Appears my virtual dice is broken, can you help Dave? Sadly this is an immediate default to halo...at least for a short while.

-peace out

jasevx
28-01-2007, 06:22
looking great scrubout! nice cadian conversion on the griffon targeter, i'm still using the early guy

Voronwe[MQ]
28-01-2007, 08:15
Good work on the stormtrooper and griffon. The medicae facility was a nice surprise!

Voronwe

highmarshaldave
28-01-2007, 10:29
But aye, of course!

Simply click on the "Display Dice" butoon handily positioned below the words box, and then select the number of dice and dice type (ie. D6 x 1, of D10 x 2) And if you did that in the first place. . . inform the Tech Priests.

Oh, and Rictus? Looks like I'm hunting you down old chap.

Dave out.

scrubout
28-01-2007, 16:19
Thanks for the comments jasevx, Voronwe, and Dave!

All these wonderful responses make me want to keep working on 'em, but I've got other things to do.

*light bulb* I know!

4+ I paint my 'ratling' squad and look for magnets online, if I fail, I do 'responsible things'..pfft...responsibility.

[dice0]

The God's have spoken. 600th post!

-peace out

highmarshaldave
28-01-2007, 16:37
Tough luck mate. Have fun with responsibilities. . . lol.

Dave out.

Rictus
28-01-2007, 22:48
Here, here! *hands proverbial cookie to Rictus* Thanks for checking out my log Rictus!

Background reasoning: The 317th/XXIII Grenadiers have been in several theatres of war and have not been unknown to loot weapons, equipment, etc. Looks like they found an abandoned medicae shelter somewhere.

As I start converting more troops, for example my third chimera crewman, you'll start seeing some unique autoguns and lasguns showing up.

*edit*: Discussion is always helpful Rictus, if you notice I've got some of it on my griffon already, I'm just not sure if I want it draped over my mortar, might be a bit out of place I reckon. Thanks again for the comment!

-peace out
Sounds promising, should provide an interesting looking army. Should also help keep your own interest from waning as you do them.

Oh, and Rictus? Looks like I'm hunting you down old chap.

Dave out.
So, you want to hunt me down like a dog do you eh? So be it, I shall be prepared. Shame I don't actually like cookies really. I'd happily swap it for a custard cream biscuit.

highmarshaldave
28-01-2007, 23:26
A custard cream for a cookie? Like a dog it shall be, sir!

So, any newness for us scrubout?

Dave out.

scrubout
29-01-2007, 00:00
Congrats on your 700th post Dave, I'm honored it was in my thread! Does this make you groupie status? :p Thanks for the comment.

Up next, if I have time today that is, I'll post wip on one of my snipers...I'm experimenting with a camo scheme and I'm liking it so far. When I'm pleased with it's results I'll post it up for review. (Just for you Dave!)

Ha, Rictus hit the nail on the head. The weapons conversions, head swaps, and even finding background reasons to add Vostroyans to my Kasrkin is just so I don't go crazy painting the same posed Kasrkin 3-4 times. That just makes me wanna puke. Variety is the spice of life they say! Besides, I guess you could say my modeling fetish is converting...

-peace out

Rictus
29-01-2007, 22:58
Ha, Rictus hit the nail on the head. The weapons conversions, head swaps, and even finding background reasons to add Vostroyans to my Kasrkin is just so I don't go crazy painting the same posed Kasrkin 3-4 times. That just makes me wanna puke. Variety is the spice of life they say! Besides, I guess you could say my modeling fetish is converting...

-peace out

Converting modeling fetish? Ah, it's nice to know I'm not the only sufferer (to the point where i'm going to start another project log on 'em...). I'm looking forward to seeing what other conversions you come up with and to seeing how the character of your army develop.

O/T: And on general principle people: Do not disrespect the Custard Cream Biscuit.

scrubout
30-01-2007, 04:31
Beginning in April my club will be running a "Return to Vogen" campaign with modified rules from cities of death. Alpha level games will be 1,250, Gamma 1,500, and Omega 1,750.

So rather than doing my math homework *I will punish myself later*, I have decided to make an honest-to-goodness list. This is my 1,250 army list for alpha level games (for your review) and it doubles as my to-do list!

Key: Green is done (paint and all), yellow is wip (primed, unpainted, mere stages from completion), red (unassambled, unprimed, unbased...ugh).

Doctrines:
Carapace Armour
Grenadiers
Stormtroopers
Ratlings
?????(open for suggestion)

-HQ-(carapace armour)

Command Squad
1x-Junior Officer w/shotgun, close combat weapon, laspistol
3x-Flamers
1x-Meltagun
1x-Commissar w/powerfist and laspistol
-Chimera: Twin-linked heavy bolter turret, hull heavy bolter, extra armor, smoke launcher, improved comms

-Elites-
Stormtrooper Squad
1x-Vet. Sergeant w/powerweapon and hellpistol
2x-Meltagun
3x-Hellgun

Ratling Squad
5x-Sniper rifles

-Troops-
Grenadier Squad 1
1x-Vet. Sergeant w/powerweapon and hell pistol
2x-Plasma gun
7x-Hellgun
-Chimera: Multilaser turret, hull heavy bolter, pintle heavy stubber, extra armor, smoke launcher

Grenadier Squad 2
2x-Plasma gun
7x-Hellgun
-Chimera: Multilaser turret, hull heavy bolter, pintle heavy stubber, extra armor, smoke launcher

-Fast Attack-
Sentinel 1: Lascannon and armoured crew compartment
Sentinel 2: Multilaser

-Heavy Support-
Demolisher: Hull heavy bolter, sponson heavy bolters, extra armor, smoke launcher, rough terrain modification

Griffon Heavy Mortar: Rough terrain modification, improved comms

Total:1,247

-----------------
I also have the following stratagems to use:
Medicae Facility
Ammo Dump
Razor Wire
(remaining don't require modelling, and will tailor all stratagem use for opponent)
Master Snipers
Preliminary Bombardment
Siege Shells

Rabble: I'm currently trying to finish my snipers, I've got to convert one, but they shouldn't take too long. I'm also looking forward to reassembling my busted up sentinel to use. The chimeras all need a few colors of paint and their ready to go.

The low down: What do you all think of the list? Any idea for anything useful as the last doctrine? Any advice is appreciated! Obviously I don't have much points to work with, and my list will probably stay roughly the same unless I play higher points games, which brings me to my next point.

Point: Higher level games with 2-3 stratagems (gamma and omega respectfully) will give me 250-500 more points to work with. What should I do with this? Should I finish my Vostroyan platoon, or pick up some new toy? A hellhound would be fun, because I'm a pyro at heart, but I'm curious what you all think.

Any discussion and further motivation is greatly appreciated!

*edit*: Thanks again for the comment Rictus, I'll have to check out your new log soon! Unfortunately my fetish is sort of an achilles heel, it slows down progress tremendously! Secondly, it's comforting seeing this in nice colors, makes me realize I might be able to get all this stuff to my style of painting in a month! Thirdly, I end sentences with an explanation point a lot...Ha!

-peace out

T_55
30-01-2007, 05:25
Looks like you have quite a few models ahead of you scrubout! Things are looking great so far, and i wish you the best of luck, can't wait to see the ratlings. For the last doctrine it depends what your going for, do you want a themed army? or a competition army?

highmarshaldave
30-01-2007, 12:37
Woot! Groupie status! All your base are belong to me, lurkers! You have no chance to survive, make your time!

Mechanised? That way, you could add a mice mechanised platoon for larger games. Or conscripts, to represent PDF of milita. Or Veterans, to make the force look and feel more elite. Those'd be my suggestions.

Keep at it man, looking forward to the results. And I'm honoured by the notion of posting stuff just for little old me.

Dave out.

scrubout
30-01-2007, 14:00
Thanks for the comments T_55 and highmarshaldave...I slept in and didn't finish my math homework this morning *starts cursing and muttering to self*.

The ratlings are actually just a mix of sniper models using the ratling rules, I'll admit...I don't like the actual ratling models. I think it makes sense for the 5+ save, if you notice vostroyan snipers don't have the shoulder armor, and cadian sniper models have all of their armor more or less concealed. I doubt anyone should have issues playing against this use of the wysiwyg rules.

My list is a fine line between "for fun" and "competitive"...basically, I want it to be well-rounded. As far as doctrine choice, perhaps I'll consider mechanised for when I really want to field all of my infantry, including vossies...but for the campaign it's not really helpful.

I'll post an update as soon as I've got something to do, I went thru my bitz for my bashed up sentinel, I'm gonna have to rebuild the roll cage somehow and I'm thinking of disguising it with camo netting (aka medical gauze), should look good.

-peace out

jasevx
30-01-2007, 14:32
Great minds think alike! I've got Catachen conversions as my 'Ratling' Squad, makes sense with the reduced armour save

scrubout
01-02-2007, 02:05
Alright, update time. Multilaser Sentinel, that's actually a sentinel and not like my mini-lascannon tank that count as a sentinel a couple pages back.

Pics first, discussion later:

LEFT!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2799.jpg

FRONT!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2800.jpg

RIGHT!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2801.jpg

FOOT!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2804.jpg

Items of note: Added a bayonet from the old accesory sprue dozer spikes, curved the toes around the barrel on the base, and somehow managed a camo canopy over the cockpit.

Considering this models' history I'm happy with it. I got it when I first started collecting, my puppy (now dog, hope he doesn't remember it) chewed it up after first assembling it, I somehow salvaged it, put it back together, disassmbled it again to convert it, failed (losing the cockpit and losing the pilot/seat...I hope I can find that to add it someday, got a nice FW head waiting for it), and left it on pieces on my shelf until now. I'm really pleased with the pose most of all, it looks like the pilot got down to the enemies level to unleash gatling laser death or lowered his stance to prepare for a monstrous creature charging him!

CnC is highly valued and rewarded with thank you.

Thanks for the comment jasevx, I'm not using catachan snipers though, but vostroyan and cadian...I feel the catachans are a bit too jungle camoed for my urban fighting grenadiers...but I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants to use snipers like yourself.

-peace out
scrubout Xp

Codsticker
01-02-2007, 02:45
The low down: What do you all think of the list? Any idea for anything useful as the last doctrine? Any advice is appreciated! Obviously I don't have much points to work with, and my list will probably stay roughly the same unless I play higher points games, which brings me to my next point.

The Griffon is a great choice for CoD games and the Demolisher is a great match for the Grenadiers. How about Iron Discipline for the Commanding Officer?

ps: two thumbs up on the prgress your making with your project- good job. :)

scrubout
01-02-2007, 03:13
Thanks for all the encouragment Codsticker, it's posters like you...and well, everyone else for that matter...that make me want to post more pictures of my work and get stuff done!

Iron Discipline may be a suitable choice, too bad it doesn't work with Grenadiers...*grumble*, we shall see. I think it would work really well with my Vostroyan Platoon, which I may be finishing up for the last couple meetings for the campaign so I can meet the 1,500 or 1,750 benchmark.

On another note, you all may be seeing Epic, BFG, and/or Warmachine in my project log soon! I've got a local modelling convention Feb. 10th and will be running either a Warmachine or BFG table with another club member to wrangle people into our club. Quite frankly I'm not as worried about my deadline for the Grenadiers now though, turns out the campaing starts 2 months from now, not one...I'm such a spaz...

I managed to get a hold of some sweet second-hand Warmachine minis, here is what the sculpts look like: http://www.privateerpress.com/WARMACHINE/gallery/default.php?level=picture&id=147 these will be my first Warmachine minis. Though I've always liked the steampunk fantasy genre...

As for Epic, I'm trying to convince another player in my club to play it again (and buy my old blood angels epic force from when I was 12!) so I can pick up an Epic equivalent of my 40k IG army. I've already got 2 FW warhounds that I need to figure out how to repaint.

"Ratlings" are on hold until I get some chaos black paint.

Exciting things are happening lately!

-peace out

jasevx
01-02-2007, 09:04
Puppies must have a thing for sentinels! ;(

You've made me think over the Sniper teams Scrubout, I have a Tanith Squad, with the Cloaks, they's make a much better choice converted.

scrubout
01-02-2007, 13:55
Puppies must have a thing for sentinels! ;(

You've made me think over the Sniper teams Scrubout, I have a Tanith Squad, with the Cloaks, they's make a much better choice converted.

I'm afraid they do, the Tanith Squad might come in handy, nice iea jasevx. I'll consider them for when I want to bulk out my "Ratlings" more.

Thanks for the comment.

-peace out

Voronwe[MQ]
01-02-2007, 16:45
Good job with the sentinel! The foot on the barrel is well done, though the 'bayonet' is more fitting for a Chaos sentinel.

Voronwe

scrubout
01-02-2007, 17:56
Maybe I'll try cutting the tank accessory spure aquila in half and placing the wing on the blade so it looks a little less chaos.

Thanks for the comment voronwe.

-peace out

ice
07-02-2007, 00:28
love the sentinel there scrubout, keep up the good work!

scrubout
07-02-2007, 02:38
Ice, your funny! Thank you for the comment I was not expecting in the least!

Because of this honorable act of threadomancy, I shall attempt to post pics of my Sword Class Frigate Squadron and my pip cruisers to honor the occasion. This thread will get a double post from yours truly sometime later this evening. :angel:

-peace out

Rangerrob
07-02-2007, 03:26
Nice work there Scrubout.

The MASH tent is a nice touch.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

scrubout
07-02-2007, 05:06
First of all, thank you also for the comment Rangerrob.

Next order of business, piccies!

Sword Class Frigate Squadron Needsanamesuggestionbeforesaturdayorelsebadluck
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2882.jpg

Remaining ships of Battlefleet Alsoneedsanamesuggestionbeforesaturdayorelsebadluc k:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2887.jpg

The Swords are the test scheme for 3 of my other Imperial cruisers, the remaining Imperial cruiser will be grey with a red prow, and the allied Space Marine Strike Cruiser will be painted as black templar (mostly likely I figured in a crusade fleet).

Sorry about the pics but they are the best I could make do for tonight. My step father is away so no good photography for a while, unless I can manage to get daylight pics on my own, and I'll make sure to get pics of the fleet when it is finished for this saturday (if I get good encouraging comments I might even take pics at the event for everyone to oogle).

*edit*: Forgot to add that I did cut half of the aquila from the accessory sprue and attached it to my sentinel, it looks much less chaotic now, but still oozing with grim futuristic nastiness.

Off to bed, this trig class is kickin' my bumm.

-peace out

ice
07-02-2007, 05:15
likin the battlefleet ships! i had some space marine ones kickin around but don't know where they got too :S

Voronwe[MQ]
07-02-2007, 09:46
I like the ships too, though their hulls could get a thinned-down Black Ink wash.

Vorowe

scrubout
07-02-2007, 13:43
Thanks ice and Voronwe for the comments.

I agree about the thin ink wash for the rest of the hull, I shaded the prow of the Swords with my usual watered down chaos black routine. I'll keep that in mind for when I'm done with the other ships.

Yay, the gamer disease is taking root! I just ordered my copy of WARMACHINE Prime Remix and I'm gonna be picking up my Magnus the Traitor boxset at the convention.

Any other CnC for this ships?

-peace out

highmarshaldave
07-02-2007, 21:34
Woot! Battlefleet ****-ing Gothic!

Erm. . . Raven Squadron? Or Hawk? Or any other bird of prey? As for the capital ships. . . The Fist of Dorn for the strike cruiser. Battlecruisers/cruisers: Pride of Terra; Emperor's Wrath; Tempus Detri; Infernus. . . can't think of any more at the mo'.

Liking the colour scheme on the sworeds. Should look good on the capitals.

Dave out.

orangesm
08-02-2007, 00:59
Swords: Emperor's Katanas ?

The Battlefleet? choose their crusade?

scrubout
08-02-2007, 01:30
Thanks for the name suggestions highmarshaldave and orangesm!

@orangesm: Turns out 3 FYOFG (forty year old fat guys, I'm 18, youngest member) have Epic armies in various stages of completion...seems I'm gonna start collecting epic guard for sure now!

*shaking head* ...how will I ever buy a car?...*sigh, atleast my gf has a car :angel: *

I finished a battlecruiser today and did some more painting to the others (made the prow coloring more consistent, adding shading to the rest of the strike cruiser, menial stuff, etc. etc.)

Granted, she's not the finest of my painting ability, but she'll do for the convention. Sorry no pics yet, but once again I'll stay up late after fraggin' trig homework to get pics for my wonderfully supportive viewers.

-peace out

orangesm
08-02-2007, 03:18
Good to hear. A lot of times it only takes a player to be interested in something like Epic for the veteran players to go - oh ya I have an army for that and if I recall it was pretty fun.

scrubout
08-02-2007, 05:21
Good to hear. A lot of times it only takes a player to be interested in something like Epic for the veteran players to go - oh ya I have an army for that and if I recall it was pretty fun.

Ya, that's basically what happened. One response was "I never have played but am waiting to! I have an eldar army waiting to play!", go figure!

My latest Cruiser:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2888.jpg

And for fun; On patrol:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2890.jpg

I know it ain't the greatest, it needs highlighting and some more shading on the prow, but I'll wait and see if I have enough time to spruce them after I get the other 4 battlecruiser class ships done.

CnC-I noticed most of what needs to be done *I think*, but if you see something I didn't please tell me! I want to sponge the skillz from my fellow wargamerz.

Question: Should I give it a purple squadron stripe, single line, color? Probably later, like highlighting, if I have the time.

-peace out

highmarshaldave
08-02-2007, 12:32
Nice so far, mate. Give the prows a thin black wash? It'll provide a bit of shading in the recesses without having to repaint them with four or five different colours. As for the purple? I'd say nae. . . unless you plan on doing it to all the Capital ships. And probably only one stripe at that. And bases should be black (in my opinion). With stars and such-like.

Epic!? Mmmm. Superheavy regiments! Yummyness. Do it, but use the FW vehicles, as they are more tasty than GW ones.

Dave out.

scrubout
09-02-2007, 07:24
Alright, my late-night paint-athon is over. Tomorrow night I will finish the Strike Cruiser, and just cause it's my log: STRIKE CRUISER FTW!!!

Various pictures of different angles:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2895.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2894.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2896.jpg

Reflection: Ya, they ain't my best, but I've managed to shade all the prows, so that looks a bit better, the shadow grey cruisers could use a highlight but I'm not gonna do it and nobody can make me till I feel like it.

...Personally, I can't wait to get this fleet on the table to smash some chaos scum, then pick up my Warmachine minis, and continue on with doing my Grenadiers for the campaign!

CnC is greatly appreciated, and oh, thanks for the comment highmarshaldave. When I post pics of the strike cruiser I'll reveal my chosen names...hehe.

STRIKE CRUISER FTW!!11!!1

-peace out

highmarshaldave
10-02-2007, 12:06
C'mon! Wanna see it!!!

Oh, and if you need help with any sciency and mathsy based homework, drop me a PM.

Dave out.

scrubout
10-02-2007, 13:57
Sorry no pics of the Strike Cruiser, it looks pretty bad...it's black templar (white accents on black hull) but I couldn't do the frickin' chapter badge! Oh well, that will be a project for later if my gaming group starts playing BFG more.

As for ship names I have:
-Divine Might (Tyrant Class)
-Pillar of Autumn (Mars Class I)
-High Charity (Mars Class II)
-His Majesty's Vengeance (Lunar Class)
-Specter Squadron (Sword Squadron)
-Ad Astra (Black Templar Strike Cruiser, translates "To the stars")

I will make sure to take many pics today and post the best ones in my log.
After today I can continue onward with my Grenadiers!

Thanks for resurrecting my thread highmarshaldave! I can always count on you!

-peace out

jasevx
10-02-2007, 14:35
looking sweet scrubout!

orangesm
10-02-2007, 16:08
I do believe we have a Halo fan. The names will work well. I actually prefer not to paint names on bases, I think it takes away from the model at large.

highmarshaldave
10-02-2007, 17:08
Groupie! Ooh ah ah!

No probs mate, always happy to help. Nice names, but I'm a little puzzled. Now, my spider senses tell me that you need a ratio of 2:1 for cruiser to battlecruiser. . . where are your other five cruisers? :p

I think that needed a smiley, lol.

Dave out.

scrubout
11-02-2007, 06:01
Good eye on the Halo references...I couldn't help myself...hehe. I'm gonna pretend I don't know what your talking about highmarshaldave.

Wow, I had a blast today. I think I managed to pick up some fresh blood for The Powers of the North Gaming Club (aka, the club I hang out with that is populated by a majority of Forty Year Old Fat Guys [aka FYOFG's]).

Long story short, I only got one game in and got pwned, I can handle that, my opponent is one of my favorite club members and is a great guy to game with. Later two friends, referred by said favorite club member, duked it out with our fleets. The Imperial player noticed the Halo names too...haha! He chose The Pillar of Autumn over High Charity, good one on him!

Here are a couple pics from their game:

The Divine Might locks on while The Pillar of Autumn braces for impact.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2898.jpg

I am especially proud of this (done by the new player of course). It's a hulk that drifted into asteroids! Traitor scum!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2897.jpg

And now I'm gonna display some other pics for kicks. I'll show the best last! (So look at them all!)

What is this atrocity?!? How could someone enter this into the painting contest...*sigh*
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2899.jpg

A cool moving Rodan model.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2905.jpg

More in next post...

scrubout
11-02-2007, 06:06
I found this to be very amusing, if anyone has trouble reading the text, tell me and I'll rewrite it. It's a timemachine the scientist is coming out of...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2911.jpg

A possible "fake" Stormsword model for Epic? I think it might be worth a try! Superheavy's are supposed to be rare!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2912.jpg

Short story, this was converted by the club organizer for his daughter which she painted, she's like 9 and won 2nd place in the open fantasy painting competition with a wood elf dragon model! Yes, it is a unicorn made by impaling a nail thru the poor horses head...priceless.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2920.jpg

More in next post...

scrubout
11-02-2007, 06:12
Continued from Page 7

My new Warmachine minis! I'm not sure if I want to keep the bases or if I should completely start over with their paint job...knowing me, I'll make things harder for myself and redo them (some of their foot positionings are irkling me).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2925.jpg

And best for last...the new toys for my grenadiers, gotta love tons of cheap model vendors all haggling!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2924.jpg

...turn your head sideways...sorry...I am not responsible for any neck cramps for this picture, do under your own discretion.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2922.jpg

Their 1/35th, so with a little minor converting they should look alright. My first conversion is gonna be a kasrkin sergeant with a bionic sm chainsword arm and perhaps an M60E3 pattern Hellgun...hehe!

I hope you enjoyed my photos. Work will now commence as planned upon my Grenadiers, not even Warmachine will get in my way....The Return To Vogen will be MINE!!!

-peace out

highmarshaldave
11-02-2007, 11:40
Storm bolter, dude. Storm bolter!

Glad you had a blast plaing BFG. I love it myself, but none of "local" mates have fleets. Oh do I miss those days. . .

Looking forward to seeing all that 1:35 scale shiny put ot good use. Keep at it mate.

Dave out.

Rictus
12-02-2007, 19:08
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the Grenadiers especially after seeing the Krieg models with the 1/35 scale weapons looking so good.

The fire support weapons especially peak my interest.

BTW: That Spice Girls tank hurts my eyes.

Weregerbil
12-02-2007, 20:53
What is this atrocity?!? How could someone enter this into the painting contest...*sigh*
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2899.jpg

WTF and why do that do a poor horsie! Bad people bad!

scrubout
13-02-2007, 18:29
Thanks for the comments Rictus, highmarshaldave, and Weregerbil.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind destroying a model by shoving a nail thru it so my daughter would enjoy the hobby with me...I pray that my children will be as enthusiastic about the hobby as the club organizer's.

I didn't have math homework yesterday so I made a lot of progress on my sentinel! Just wasn't in the mood for the 'ratlings'...but at least I did make noticeable progress! I'll try finishing her up tonight, needs a couple touch ups, and the base needs a couple more things and it's done...besides markings etc. which I think I will flesh out during the campaign. It will save me time for modelling purposes and give my army more character.

Expect pics later tonight.

-peace out

scrubout
14-02-2007, 03:03
Picture time! The sentinel is painted to the standard I am trying to achieve for the rest of my minis before the campaign...if there is extra time I may do more highlighting...but I like the gritty shading on my vehicles, it's dark, and "gothic"...whatever that means.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2930.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2929.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2931.jpg

I am quite pleased with how the camo netting looks, thank you Mom for the sponge painting idea! I may have to try it on my snipers, as I'm not pleased how large I painted their camo and I'm looking for a quick fix...as well as something unique.

scrubout
14-02-2007, 03:09
Curious on preliminary work on this conversion...it's gonna be my gal sergeant. Yes, girls are allowed in the 317th, some are born infertile and their only place on Helsreach is in the factories or to join a regiment.

With a bionic arm she's gonna be hard as nails, and with a looted gun to boot. I want her to be holding the gun upright with her chainsword raised.

Question though, does it look like an okay scale? I was just gonna say, it's quite common for Helsreach food stores to be spiked with growth hormones, which would explain the steroid-esque heads of cadian sculpts...and why the gun is kinda small compared to her. I'm mainly worried about the size of the barrel as there is little I can do about it.

Ah, pics:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2933.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2934.jpg

Thanks for any CandC. Haha, Command and Conquer...Kane is so 1337.

-peace out

bram kuijpers
14-02-2007, 09:50
could you post a better picture please it would help

jasevx
14-02-2007, 10:47
Scrubout, strangely, as you know, were following the same path. I fitted half my snipers with ghillie suits last night, luckily, I used to wear one for a job, so I have an idea how they look! ;)

It's just PVA and bandage, the job is to cut it small and layer it. Oh by the way, the models WIP, just done the cape so far.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r165/jasevx/14022007376.jpg

highmarshaldave
15-02-2007, 13:50
C'mon mate, I'm curious. What head do you plan on using? And I do hope you're gonna "thin" her down a bit, make her more womanly (I presume you know what a woman looks like under her clothes. . .).

Toodles for now.

Dave out.

scrubout
17-02-2007, 23:03
C'mon mate, I'm curious. What head do you plan on using? And I do hope you're gonna "thin" her down a bit, make her more womanly (I presume you know what a woman looks like under her clothes. . .).

Hehe, oh I know from exp....and I'll leave it at that. The imagination is always more fun anyway ;) .

I don't think I'm gonna thin her down, like I said, woman get BIG and burly on Helsreach if they join the Grenadiers...so that saves me that pain in the rear. As for a head, I'm thinking of getting those sculpting heads that have feminine faces from some company...I'm not sure which, if anyone can link it to me they recieve a cookie. She won't get long hair either, if anything, maybe a short "Ripley-style" buzz-cut.

I'm not sure if I wanna try the bandage on my snipers or not...still thinking about it.

And a picture update!

Grenadiers squads almost complete, only missing one sargeantette and one grenadier (whom also needs a new head!):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2941.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2937.jpg

Sorry for the blur, but these I'm most proud of (note: gun strapped to backpack with ammo chain and head swap ala Schwarzenegger):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2939.jpg

More pics next post...

scrubout
17-02-2007, 23:08
Continued...

Another pic of klepto-grenadier and "I'm too cool for the corps":
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2938.jpg

And as requested, (therefore I best get feedback dang it!) more of the 1/35 scale M60E or whatever it is...too lazy to check atm:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2944.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2945.jpg

The gun reminds me a lot of a gun Kage used in one of the Last Chancer novels...it was an "Assault Laser", think lasgun on steroides...I'm thinking with a laspack glued on and some minor greenstuff work this would make a suitable "Assault Laser" with the stats of a bolter or storm bolter? Hehe...

Thanks for any and all CnC. And remember what I do, when I look at threads I always leave feedback, so you had better do the same or I'll sick my personal Gestapo Marines on you...grrr!

-peace out

Rictus
17-02-2007, 23:19
if anyone can link it to me they recieve a cookie.

Dammit, I want another cookie....but I don't know the link..

Grenadiers are looking nice, though I demand better detail pictures. Yes, that's right, demand I say. Please.

Is that enough to save me from the Gestapo Marines?

scrubout
17-02-2007, 23:34
That requires extra work though...:(

Haha, yes, I can get better pics later...however, I take it you just want the two converted guys with slightly blurred pics? Klepto and Arnie?

-peace out

Rictus
17-02-2007, 23:38
That requires extra work though...:(

Haha, yes, I can get better pics later...however, I take it you just want the two converted guys with slightly blurred pics? Klepto and Arnie?

-peace out

Yup.

(this bit for minimum post length)

schoolcormorant
17-02-2007, 23:49
those look really nice scrubout, some awesome conversions :)

i kow this is a haunt for guard players.
http://www.wargamestore.com/index.php?cPath=150_162&sort=3a&page=4
yep, a vostroyan platoon for 35. enjoy ;)

SC

scrubout
18-02-2007, 05:36
Why ya given me this link SC? I've already got one of those and sure as The Emperor don't need another sitting on my shelf to haunt me! :p I take it this is one of the few places where you can still order them? And for $30 less! Whoo! Too bad I'm poor...que sera! Such is life.

However, I think I am gonna order up some FW brass etch small eagles very soon to wrap around their shoulder pads!

As promised...wait, I made no such deal...:
Front!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2951.jpg
Back!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2952.jpg

Ugh, I hate this close up of pics, makes my painting look really bad...granted I'm no golden demon winner, but that just makes everything all oogy. At least everyone can see the nice conversion work now though.

And an update of my to do list, not as much as I had hoped...:

Command Squad
3x-Flamers
1x-Meltagun
-Chimera: Twin-linked heavy bolter turret, hull heavy bolter, extra armor, smoke launcher, improved comms

-Elites-
Stormtrooper Squad
1x-Vet. Sergeant w/powerweapon and hellpistol
2x-Meltagun
3x-Hellgun

Ratling Squad
5x-Sniper rifles

-Troops-
Grenadier Squad 1
2x-Plasma gun
7x-Hellgun

Grenadier Squad 2
1x-Vet. Sergeant w/close combat weapon and bolter
2x-Plasma gun
7x-Hellgun

-Fast Attack-

-Heavy Support-
Demolisher: Hull heavy bolter, sponson heavy bolters, extra armor, smoke launcher, rough terrain modification

Besides finishing a hefty amount of conversion work on the HQ and sergeantette and one of the grenadiers and figuring out how to add barbed wire to the griffon (unless it gets too difficult), as well as basing said models along with snipers and my melta squad...everything else should be painting from here on out.

I'm gonna play some well deserved Halo before going to bed now...time to pwn some nubs.

CnC is always appreciated and awarded with thank you.

Speaking of, thank you SC and Rictus for your replies. Seems I'm gonna have to drop by your project log SC and leave some feedback...*grumbles incoherently about being a nice guy*.

-peace out

Edzard
18-02-2007, 09:10
Kickass, I always liked the way those Stormtroopers looked :) Must be fun, hacking and sawing into all those cool metal models? Well, they are all looking good, keep it up!

jasevx
18-02-2007, 09:48
Hi stormy bro!

Looking sweet, I haven't tried the head swap yet, still scared of damaging the mini!

The ammo belt add on is really great!

Catferret
18-02-2007, 10:16
I like the Sentinel. The work you have done on the foot really makes it look like some effort has been put in. Nice touch with the plastic Lascannon Powerpack on the side too.

Those Grenadiers are sweet. They have a very "Veteran" feel to them with all the headswaps and extar guns and stuff. Me likey!

scrubout
18-02-2007, 15:24
Kickass, I always liked the way those Stormtroopers looked :) Must be fun, hacking and sawing into all those cool metal models? Well, they are all looking good, keep it up!

Thanks for the encouragement Edzard, it is fun!

Looking sweet, I haven't tried the head swap yet, still scared of damaging the mini!

The ammo belt add on is really great!

Hehe, Stormy Bro, I like that. The ammo belt is just from the cadian heavy weapon teams, just cut it off the bolter feed.

Ya, I'm not sure if anyone can see but this was the first head swap I did on my own with a dremel (no help from Grampa scrubout this time)...I had to resculpt the black cable that comes from the backpack to the right chest plate and smear some greenstuff over the left and right shoulder pads a little because of some knicks.

Though I guess it's a good thing nobody noticed! I also greenstuff a collar around the neck which I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

I like the Sentinel. The work you have done on the foot really makes it look like some effort has been put in. Nice touch with the plastic Lascannon Powerpack on the side too.

Those Grenadiers are sweet. They have a very "Veteran" feel to them with all the headswaps and extar guns and stuff. Me likey!

Thanks for the comments Catferret! I actually lost the roll cage bar, pilot/seat, and multilaser power pack, and seeing as I desperately needed to reach the 1250 mark for my campaign I decided to see what I could turn this hacked up shamble of a sentinel into! The pose I stole from someone else here (credit where it's due, wish I could remember the name...sorry).

What veteran army doesn't require an Arnold Schwarzenegger look alike? I mean come on, whose Governor can boast of being an unstoppable T100 AND killing a Predator? Hehe.

Well I have some time before work so I'm gonna paint up my Vossie snipers for the "ratling squad"...I don't think I'm gonna do the Ghillie suits for the cadian models, I'm too much of a wimp...and lazy to fiddle around with medical guaze.

Thanks everyone.

-peace out

Colonel Jacka
20-02-2007, 12:39
Still going well scruby. Good on you mate! We need a big Army keep going!

jasevx
20-02-2007, 12:41
You and your stormies, costing me a fortune ;)

I think a trip to the Sunny State beckons after I've finished mine for a match, any chance of forwarding me the airfare? ;)

scrubout
20-02-2007, 13:59
You and your stormies, costing me a fortune ;)

I think a trip to the Sunny State beckons after I've finished mine for a match, any chance of forwarding me the airfare? ;)

One can dream, eh?

Thanks for the comments Jacka and jasevx!

I'm reworking the camo on the cadian snipers atm and I'm liking how its turning out, even if I don't finish it tonight I'll get some pics up. The vosts sit on my desk for the moment with most of their paint on...but I felt like painting camo!

-peace out

Codsticker
20-02-2007, 14:39
I see you have my favourite Commissar in there (it's actually one of my favourite GW minis) and mine's painted almost identically. You have your work converting your Grenadiers with those 1/35 weapons but the end result should be worth it.

jasevx
21-02-2007, 09:53
Hows the girl soldier going? I want to see how your's turn's out before I bite the bullet and have a go for my Command Squad.

scrubout
23-02-2007, 23:45
*edit*: Thanks for the comment Codsticker! As you can see I am stressed out right now!

The female sergeant is severely stalled at the moment, I need a female head and nobody gets a cookie for helping! :mad:

I found these though, which one do you think I should pick up, I like the first one more, but the hair is awkwardly long...

http://www.tinsbits.com/webshop/product_info.php?products_id=13&cPath=7&XTCsid=4b003b94d3f29756918a8a3ab036c204
http://www.tinsbits.com/webshop/product_info.php?products_id=14&cPath=7&XTCsid=4b003b94d3f29756918a8a3ab036c204

I could get these instead, but they are just as costly...: http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/range.php?range_id=39&subcat_id=16&PHPSESSID=d17190016d825101afa7076f2976faf5

Maybe I'll just pick up both of the first two links? I need input please...

Painting progess is dreadfully slow on the snipers. Sorry. I'm really frustrated right now, the campaign is a month and a half away now and I'm getting stressed! Must remember to get eye protection today!

-peace out

Aelyn
24-02-2007, 00:17
If you want a female head, I'd go for an Eldar / Elf head and GS the hair, if necessary, so the ears aren't visible.

jasevx
24-02-2007, 16:26
Well stormy bro, I've been relegated to the General Log, and theres me thinking Kasrkin, Death Guard and Nids was 40k!

Reference Head, I'd go for non GW head (I-Kore springs to mind). The Elves are feminine, but to slender for a Woman in comfortable shoes! Butch is the word!

Sling
25-02-2007, 09:53
How about a head from the witchhunter range?

jasevx
26-02-2007, 14:46
Only just looked at the tinsbits, I'd go for the beret head, I certainly would!

scrubout
02-03-2007, 06:04
Oh snap! An update! What you gonna do?! What you gonna do!?

Leave comments and encouragment, that's what you lazy unmotivational gits can do! Look what happens when I don't get a kick in the rear for motivation! A whole week and a half of work slips away! Somebody needs to remind me that math homework, a girlfriend, and my future are not as important as this project right now! Jaja. (<- Spanish for "Haha")

Alright, so it's not much, but I'm trying to get moving again after a recent sobbing fit. Every drop a case of your models and try and pick them up off the floor without a) crying like a child or b) screaming and yelling like a lunatic who has forgotten his meds? I have recently and have had to rebase/repair a little on some models...rather disheartening.

On to pics!
Evidence of slow progress on snipers (anybody have tips on speeding up camo painting, it's boooring me to death!)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2977.jpg

Latest headswap volunteer (looks like he's trying to figure out a trig equation...reminds me of myself) and some work on the she-sergeant.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2972.jpg

More pics of she-sergeant showing off the bolter clip added and her pose I'm going for.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2975.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2976.jpg

scrubout
02-03-2007, 06:09
Ooo, and my last strategem that I will model for the campaign.

*deep voice* FORTIFIED RUIN */deep voice*

Behold the fruits of my labor...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2981.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2982.jpg

Okay, not that much to defend a whole building, but I've got enough of these wonderful little tamiya sandbags that I'm gonna make several different sized sections of these sandbags along with flakboard like looking material (i.e. the chimera kit piece I used in this one) and conventional tank traps to make a *deep voice* FORTIFIED RUIN */deep voice* look like what it's supposed to be.

ANY Command and Conquer is welcome. Errr...CnC...I'm gonna go bust out some more sandbags before bed now...pics tomorrow? We shall see, we shall see...

*edit*: Forgot to add that I've got two FW Warhound titans soaking in a tub of water and soap to remove some old clumpy paint. I'm gonna try this before lacquer thinner in the hopes it will work enough....hehe, damn, I wish they were 1/35 scale...

-peace out

jasevx
02-03-2007, 07:50
Guess they are Epic then!

Nice to see you back on the road Stormy Bro! I spent an hour cursing last night trying to fit the Heavy Plasma to a guardsman, only to fing I'd stuck myself to it!

The girlies looking good, and the headswap makes the guy completely unique! I got lazy, and due to the tournament being next Wednesday, I'm sticking with the metals as they come out of the blister (apart from the Sgts), Command squad will be ripped to pieces tho!

Now get those bloody snipers finished!!! ;)

bram kuijpers
02-03-2007, 08:25
tips on camo 3 coluors max use stripes OR block OR rounds no combos

scrubout
02-03-2007, 23:54
Thanks for the comments fellas. I'll post pics tonight on the fruits of my labor.

-peace out

Codsticker
03-03-2007, 01:48
I think I prefer the one in the second link.

Rictus
03-03-2007, 12:05
Oh snap! An update! What you gonna do?! What you gonna do!?

Leave comments and encouragment, that's what you lazy unmotivational gits can do!

Er, 'Woohoo, go Scrubout go!' Is that enough encouragement for you? I'm English I don't really go in public shows of encouragement or emotional outbursts.

Nice to finally see an update - week and a half, dear me, another few days and your MFA membership would be slipping.

On the models themselves they are looking nice, the she-sergeant (a 'shegeant'?) in coming along nicely.

schoolcormorant
03-03-2007, 12:10
Er, 'Woohoo, go Scrubout go!' Is that enough encouragement for you? I'm English I don't really go in public shows of encouragement or emotional outbursts.

simmer down ;)

i like the sandbag thing, the plate in front could perhaps do with some chips taken out the top :)

SC

scrubout
03-03-2007, 16:33
And I'm still debating on the heads, not too thrilled about paying $8-10 including shipping just for a couple female heads...

As promised, Vossie snipers:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2985.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2986.jpg

Content for now! None too happy with the yes, but I can fiddle with that more later. It's a sunny day, so I'll be priming up some things that haven't gotten primed yet! Joy!

Thanks for the comments everyone: jasevx, bram kuljpers, Codsticker, Rictus, and SC.

Oh, and Rictus, just because I haven't been busy modelling doesn't mean that my mind hasn't been plagued with ideas while I take care of other 'responsibilities'.

The other snipers will be up, hopefully soon, after I sort out the camo dilemma I've reworked several times...I'm gonna try and emulate this now (the example shown, simple and effective): http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/imperialguard/painting/troopcamo/urban.htm

Peace through Power, CnC is more than welcome.

-peace out

Brush your teeth
03-03-2007, 17:25
just realised ive never commented here... although i have been watching for a while :)

The snipers look really good, really like the one on the left with the cloak.

Rictus
03-03-2007, 20:08
'Taking care of other 'responsibilities'' sounds rather ominous...

Liking the purple snipers (though not so bright pics would be good....if you get the chance).

btw, isn't it always sunny on Northern California?

scrubout
03-03-2007, 20:25
'Taking care of other 'responsibilities'' sounds rather ominous...

Liking the purple snipers (though not so bright pics would be good....if you get the chance).

btw, isn't it always sunny on Northern California?

Responsibilities means studying. Thankfully my mum is a math teacher :chrome: .

And no, for the last time it is not always sunny in Northern California! :mad: I'm afraid your thinking of Southeren California...if the sun ever pierces the layer of pollutants...:eyebrows:

*goes back to asking mommy for help*

-peace out

Voronwe[MQ]
03-03-2007, 20:42
Hah, in a recent english-lesson work the trio I was in made, one guy read for the class about Los Angeles' horrible pollution: "...you can get choked to death by a single breathe there, and local businessmen sells LA air on flasks for bodybuilders to use instead of standard weight. Don't go there. In fact, don't come within a continent from it at all if you can avoid it."

Voronwe

Rictus
03-03-2007, 20:58
Responsibilities means studying. Thankfully my mum is a math teacher :chrome: .

Ah ok, 'responsibilities' isn't some underhand, dark agenda.

And I stand corrected. For ever more I shall not think of Northern California as a sunny, bright place. You should try living in the Midlands, the sun is little more than a myth, people gaher round camp fires and tell tales of the days when the great glowing ball pierced the grey heavens....

Anyway, snipers done yet?

scrubout
03-03-2007, 21:14
Ah ok, 'responsibilities' isn't some underhand, dark agenda.

And I stand corrected. For ever more I shall not think of Northern California as a sunny, bright place. You should try living in the Midlands, the sun is little more than a myth, people gaher round camp fires and tell tales of the days when the great glowing ball pierced the grey heavens....

Anyway, snipers done yet?

Haha!

Thanks Rictus, and before I forget, sorry I didn't do it earlier. Thank you for posting Brush Your Teeth, nice to see I do have lurkers in this thread of mine!

LA scares me, I really don't like that pollution...*gags*

Waiting for my Mum to finish making her espresso and check my results for a problem...So no progress on the snipers, I'm just lurking and posting occasionally in my own thread because I like the idea of calling myself an attention whore. :D

-peace out

ice
04-03-2007, 03:57
i enjoy the thought of you calling yourself that! and i'm looking forward to see these so-called snipers
P.S on a 4+ i'll see them soon[dice0]

jasevx
04-03-2007, 09:49
Nowt wrong with being a whore! ;)

Must nip in next time I'm stateside, funny we drove down from Seattle (love the place) to Los Angeles to visit Top gun, to find it had moved to the East Coast!

Tell your mum to get the kettle on...

scrubout
04-03-2007, 16:58
Is that a 6 Ice?! Cursed rending!

Alright, finished up one more just to realize I need to wear their boots, which I will do to all of the snipers once I get the last one done.

I'm content enough with him, once again I love how the close up pictures and flash bring out every glaring inconsistency in a model. He looks nice on a tabletop though!

Sorry I couldn't get better pictures Rictus, but this is the best I can do for now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2987.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2988.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2989.jpg

More Command and Conquer is always welcome! Peace through power!

-peace out

dugaal
04-03-2007, 19:30
Nice snipers there Scrub's! I cant believe i havent commended in this thread yet, but all of your stuff has been a great reference, very inspirational!

the tin bits female head looks like a grand idea for the searg.
and with female heads... if you went with say.. the amazon heads or what have you, could always have a go at moulding more of of em, for personal use only of course.

200th post...

Codsticker
04-03-2007, 23:05
I may have posted this earlier, but... nice choice of colours with the (what looks like tan) fatigues and the grey camo cloaks.

scrubout
05-03-2007, 13:59
That's a very rewarding post dugaal, thank you. *bursts in to song, 'Your my inspiration!'*

And thanks for the comment about the scheme (again ;) ) Codsticker. Straight Kommando Khaki with watered down chaos black for shading.

I will try and see what progress can be made on the fourth sniper tonight depending on homework load, and if I don't feel like painting, perhaps I'll convert the last one needed for the squad :evilgrin: .

-peace out

SisterMordagg
05-03-2007, 15:18
I'm liking how this is looking.

Might I suggest the tutorial here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41005&page=4)for how to put some mud on those boots?

(Sorry, I just love that mud.)

EDIT: Just realized you already posted in that thread

dugaal
05-03-2007, 15:36
Hehe, Inspiration is a much better term than saying i 'pilfered' your ideas...
and i agree, closeups ruin what looks good in RL, too bad all my pictures just come out blurry lately :D

scrubout
09-03-2007, 05:22
I'm liking how this is looking.

Might I suggest the tutorial here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41005&page=4)for how to put some mud on those boots?

(Sorry, I just love that mud.)

EDIT: Just realized you already posted in that thread

Haha, good eyes! ;)

I don't think I will try that effect on boots, I normally just do a wash of graveyard earth that is effective enough for my tastes (simpleton as they are!). Still debating on whether or not to get MiG texture paints for my tanks or try the Codsticker-technique...we shall see, don't have time for that level of detail right now though!

Sadly this isn't an update but more of a plea for help. I have found who the fifth 'ratling' will be...and I don't have him. Attached is my wanted ad, anyone who can help would be greatly appreciated!

scrubout's plea for help (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73464)

Updates will resume once again after my next math exam, this monday! :eek:

-peace out

jasevx
09-03-2007, 08:03
come on, get your **** in gear and finish off the woman (no pun intended!) ;)

Weregerbil
13-03-2007, 23:45
Snipers are looking good.

Catferret
14-03-2007, 03:01
Now, come on Scrubs! You hinted at an update on someone else's thread! I'm waiting! :D

scrubout
14-03-2007, 04:20
Gah! I gotta stop the rumors I started now!

*sigh* I have a sniper I can finish and post tomorrow.

I was trying to finish him but my Faithful and the Damned writing partner (see stories and art subforum, Fishborne) is visiting NorCal in a couple days and we needed to do some preliminary planning work.

Carry on, progress will be posted tomorrow.

Nice to see I've got such a secret cult following though, makes me happy, especially the random comment from weregerbil. Thanks guys!

-peace out

ice
14-03-2007, 04:44
Fishborne! tell him that Ice says to finish his Titan and put some pictures up! also he needs to post more :P and what do you wish to do with your cult? there's a form you can fill out and send to the government and they'll make it legal! lol

jasevx
14-03-2007, 09:16
U have Warhammer Cults in the States! there me thinking having 'Jedi' on my census forms as my religion was sad! :)

Catferret
14-03-2007, 16:13
Scrubs, did you get that Mad Larkin model you were after? I just found a few Tanith models lying around in a box. I'm sure I could ship him the long distance if you're desperate. He's unconverted and unpainted.

scrubout
16-03-2007, 06:42
Met Fishy today, finished painting one sniper, and based my larkin model! Productivity, yay! Tomorrow I can prime the Larkin and decide how I'm gonna paint him. He's a rather small fella in comparison with the large grenadiers and vostroyans, I think I'll just say he's the smallest soldier in the regiment.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2998.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2997.jpg

Argh! My eye!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN2999.jpg

So...if anyone can give me some advice on good scar effects I'd be much obliged (I'm looking at you SC!), as the scar illustrates my idea of a one-eyed sniper well enough, I'm afraid I can do better and should try and do so.

I'm really happy with the basing of the Larkin model, it makes him look especially "ratling-like" as he crawls thru the urban rubble on his own or leading his squad of snipers. His unique long-las signifies his role as leader of the squad and his diminuitive stature attributes to the sniper squad of the 317th/XXIII to be jokingly referred as "Raimundo's Ratlings". Raimundo, a Spanish name, supposedly meaning "wise defender"...hopefully my faithful viewers understand my play on background regarding the "mad" Larkin model I am using for Raimundo.

He'll be primed tomorrow as soon as I see daylight, and I'd better recieve my 30 new kasrkin in the post tomorrow or I'll be wiggin' out! Hopefully my words made sense...I'm tired.

-peace out

Catferret
16-03-2007, 06:50
You see? That wasn't so hard to give us an update! :p Nice work there Scrubs. Urban ruins make for great basing.

scrubout
16-03-2007, 06:57
You see? That wasn't so hard to give us an update! :p Nice work there Scrubs. Urban ruins make for great basing.

I hoard my tiny pieces of slate from the urban and hero basing kits like Donkey Kong hoards his bananas. I've only got two, but I'm spreading it thin...and waste not want not is the key!

I wish you knew how hard it really was to give you an update...:mad:

Thanks cult member Catferret for the encouraging comment.

-peace out

Catferret
16-03-2007, 07:03
You know, seeing all these guard in ruined cities makes me wanna do another Guard army... I haven't completely done my last one yet! Damn you and your inspiring stuff getting me thinking...

FearFrost
16-03-2007, 08:26
Try a thin, reddish line for the scar. Then take the flesh color, add a little white, and put a thin line of that right next to the scar...it will make it look like it stands up a bit off his face and give it dimension. This is sort of the same technique that people use for weathering :)

Nice stuff, I dig the unique color schemes.

ice
16-03-2007, 13:30
i love the larkin model there scrubs! and may i clai mthe title of master cultist? :D

jasevx
16-03-2007, 13:36
looking good scrubout! you might actually finish a model :)

scrubout
17-03-2007, 07:26
Well, it is currently 12:15 am here in (it's actually) sunny California (!), which means I primed Raimundo before work and busted out a lot of progress on him this evening. No pics yet, as he is so close to completion I should be able to finish him up when my eyes are no longer blurry after an 8 hour rest. Including a nice squad pic!

And let's put it this way so far, the Larkin model's face is comedic gold...the one big eye and squinty small one are spot on for a lunatic/master sniper.

Expect an update tomorrow morning sometime, and I'm also currently wigging out because my other kasrkin ain't arrived yet (ya I know, just what scrubout needs) but I'm still excited!

*edit*: Thank you all for the comments, it keeps me chugging along at un-Godly hours of the night to finish my modeling projects. And the title of master project log cultist will be rotated depending on who replies to the thread first with constructive/encouraging feedback. Sorry ice, Catferret is currently master project log cultist...better luck next time!

*edit#2*: Okay, I'm really going to bed this time, but I created more incentive for feedback by giving props in my sig to the current Grand Master Project Log Cultist.

-peace out

jasevx
17-03-2007, 11:31
Keep it up Stormy Bro!

Catferret
17-03-2007, 11:56
lol! Just noticed your sig! Awesome idea Scrubs! What perks are there to being master cultist? Do I get a really big hat? :D

Rictus
17-03-2007, 12:09
Well, it is currently 12:15 am here in (it's actually) sunny California (!),

HA! I knew Northern California was sunny. You lied to me! I am hurt and distraught...:cries:

I'm not after the Grand Master Project Log Cultist position but any chance I can be the Cult Treasurer? I'm trustworthy, well when compared to some.

Looking forward to seeing Larks painted up, what ever happened to the female Sgt?

highmarshaldave
17-03-2007, 14:58
Damnit! Catferret, you cannot beat me! I r teh Grand Meister of teh log! I was named as official groupie long before you even thought of changing your avatar!!!

Anywho, keep at it scrubout. I really should get my own log up again, but my camera monkey is away for the next four weeks as we're on holiday now from uni (woot!), so there'll be much work but no proof. . .

Dave out.

ice
17-03-2007, 18:13
you make me sad :( and happy at the same time :)

scrubout
17-03-2007, 18:30
Yes, Rictus, it is currently sunny...for some reason we're getting a lot sun right now, I'm sorry to be so misleading, but I'm certainly enjoying it! *dons "surfer dude" outfit, while proceeding to curse El Nino and global warming*

Thanks again for the comments everyone, just remember the rules this time, whoever posts feedback regarding a photo update first gets props in my sig!

Okay, as promised and anticipated!

Raimundo with his crazy lazy eye! (it was sort of intentional...haha)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN3002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN3005.jpg

Raimundo and his ratlings!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN3001.jpg

Whooo! A completed unit! Whooo!

-peace out

jasevx
17-03-2007, 18:32
Awesome Scrubout! he blends in great!

scrubout
17-03-2007, 18:40
Thanks Stormy Bro! I really hate how the macro setting makes everything look so dirty...the tabletop view makes my snipers look easily 10x better. Oh well, que sera, I ain't new golden daemon winner.

Sig updated, but that doesn't mean more comments and criticism aren't welcome!

-peace out

highmarshaldave
17-03-2007, 20:24
Damnit! Outsmarted, again! By an englishman this time!

Liking the the little sniper pose there, keep at it dude.

Dave out.

scrubout
18-03-2007, 17:47
Thanks for the comment highmarshaldave.

Status report...well...I've got lots of school work and studying to do, but when I update the log again it should be with pictures of my wip shergeant (still need to order those heads, but I've been cheap lately...*grumble*), and updated progress on the flamer template command squad of doom (complete with greenstuffed carapace armor shotty-sergeant!). I've got a few headswaps I've got to sort out with the command squad yet, and my griffon is making me really angry.

I've already given up on the barbed wire idea on the griffon because I've run out and don't have time to fiddle with it (perhaps another time), and I've decided to reposition the slightly crooked dozer blades at the front and back :eyebrows: . The most annoying aspect of the thing is the greenstuff I need to sand smooth at the end of the mortar, the stupid metal cast mortar was really janky looking and I'd thought it'd be a good idea to slap a butt load of gs on the front and sand it smooth...I gotta try the dremel on it because I don't have the patience to sand it by hand.

Wow, I write a lot...thanks for your support everyone, I'll have a 1,500 pt force yet! Mark my words!

-peace out

Strelok
21-03-2007, 14:25
I figure I'm due to post on the log. I like the sniper squad, unique models yet cohesiveness, which I really like. I was disappointed I didn't answer the 4077 question... keep the updates coming, and I want to see that female sergeant! Any post that jasevx is following religiously I'm a fan of...

jasevx
21-03-2007, 14:26
Jesus, I have a following! ;)

Yes scrubout, get your finger out, we want to see the ****** in armour! :)

scrubout
21-03-2007, 16:45
Thanks for the comment Strelok, take your ridalin jasevx.

Jeebus, always with the insults telling me to get my butt in gear!

WELL ALRIGHT! I've got some time this morning to make headway, and that's what I'm gonna do!

Checklist (It's pretty burly for my 4 hour slot of free time!):
-Finish greenstuff work on headswap #2 and Shegeant. (Still need to order head, bear with me fellas! If someone wants me to hurry with her they could offer alternative head solutions! :rolleyes: )
-Finish painting Griffon tank commander (already started).
-Base meltagunner from command squad (easy as pie!)
-Dremel the command squad in preparation for headswaps and gas tanks (oh snap!).
-Sand griffon and prime.

All in the next 4 hours, and a picture update this evening along with the rest of my army that needs to be done in:

ONE MONTH TIME

At this rate I am currently at DEFCON 3 and The Doomsday Clock is ticking so let's get to work!

-peace out

jasevx
21-03-2007, 16:53
he he, good luck! ;)

dave is the best
21-03-2007, 17:21
Haha!

nice to see I do have lurkers in this thread of mine!

:

I have to amitt i lurk on you thread too.
Good work, keep it up

Dave

Rictus
21-03-2007, 18:10
Jeebus, always with the insults telling me to get my butt in gear!
-peace out

If we don''t you don't do anything....:D

scrubout
21-03-2007, 19:07
Important update: DEFCON 3 has been maintained.

Checklist:
-Finish greenstuff work on headswap #2 and Shegeant. Check!
-Finish painting Griffon tank commander. Check!
-Base meltagunner from command squad. Check!
-Dremel the command squad in preparation for headswaps and gas tanks. Check!
-Sand griffon and prime. Check!

What the deuce? I finished everything on my list...wierd!

What does that mean then? Do more! (after I prepare myself for my girlfriend, gotta smell nice and all...:rolleyes: ). I'm gonna try and finish up the last Griffon crew-member while the Griffon finishes priming.

Thanks for the comments jasevx, dave is best, and Rictus. Kudos for the enlightening comment Rictus...:mad: . Also, thank you to everyone else who is quietly lurking my thread, when I see you looking at my thread and not leaving a comment I add you to my list of people to kill quick and painless (as opposed to slow and excruciating) when my robot army revolution rises...:eek:

Photo update tonight when I get access to a digi cam.

-peace out

Rictus
21-03-2007, 20:11
I'm an enlightening kind of a guy, like a small fire doused in petrol. I'm always looking to help a fellow MFA'er and help to motivate him:)

Looking forward to seeing the pics later.

scrubout
22-03-2007, 02:41
Okay, an official army list update: (Everything in yellow is either pip, needs minor modelling, or basing I no longer have any items in my list that are in the red. Yes!)

Command Squad
3x-Flamers
1x-Meltagun

-Elites-
Stormtrooper Squad
1x-Vet. Shergeant w/bolter(well sort of) and chainsword
2x-Meltagun
3x-Hellgun

Ratling Squad
5x-Sniper rifles

-Troops-
Grenadier Squad 1
2x-Plasma gun
7x-Hellgun

Grenadier Squad 2
1x-Vet. Sergeant w/close combat weapon and bolter
2x-Plasma gun
7x-Hellgun

-Fast Attack-

-Heavy Support-

------------------------------

Now that's out of the way...updates!

Griffon commander! Macro ruins my paintjob and never does justice! Okay I rushed him too, but it ain't that bad looking.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN3011.jpg

The greenstuffed griffon mortar. The original metal pieces looking terrible and crooked together, fixed that with greenstuff sanding today and primed griffon.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN3012.jpg

Tres flamer amigos, front!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN3013.jpg

Tres flamer amigos, back!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN3018.jpg

Mores pictures in next post...

scrubout
22-03-2007, 02:43
Grrr!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN3015.jpg

*Gasp!*
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN3016.jpg

Gotta fix this a little...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN3019.jpg

Shergeant! Ooo rah!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN3023.jpg

Last pic in next post...

scrubout
22-03-2007, 02:45
Shergeant back!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN3024.jpg

And don't worry, the meltagunner is based, but it's really not worth showing you the picture of him primed on his black ash waste/cities of death base. Though I will try and finish him asap.

Command and Conquer, read Comments and Criticism, are always welcome.

Let the cult leader game begin!

-peace out

Great_Destroyer
22-03-2007, 02:48
Great stuff man, love the storm boys!

highmarshaldave
22-03-2007, 03:26
Woot! Progress!

Dave out.

ice
22-03-2007, 06:40
Scrubout, keep up the awesome work! in four hours you got how much done? just think what a full day would bring you for models?

jasevx
22-03-2007, 07:40
Your about there old man! just cant wait to see if shes a pretty girl, or right old munter! ;)

bram kuijpers
22-03-2007, 07:52
come on get them finished! i demand it;) :D

scrubout
22-03-2007, 13:59
Thank you my tender lumplings: Great_Destroyer (congratulations you won sig recognition!), highmarshaldave (I hope your working on your guard, so when Shrike comes back there are lots of pictures to behold!), ice, jasevx, and bram kulpers.

This evening I will have time to finish up the meltagunner and that's the challenge.

To maintain DEFCON 3 I must finish painting the command squad meltagunner today after art class.

Wish me luck my tender lumplings.

-peace out

Codsticker
22-03-2007, 14:48
If you are wondering what to paint next, I vote for either the Chimera or the Demolisher (I'm kind of partial to tanks...)

jasevx
22-03-2007, 14:57
Actually seeing I've just done two chimeras, your turn bro!

scrubout
22-03-2007, 18:05
Fine! A chimera it is! I'll do the one without the searchlight first.

I've decided this because I'm still trying to come with an idea to model a batsignal-esque-aquila on the searchlight. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat-Signal

Cool idea huh? Pretty funny too!

My first idea is to take a simple aquila symbol and place it over the searchlight, simple and effective...but a bit cheesey, and I wonder if I can do better.

Anyone got suggestions please? *pleading look in eye like a small child*

-peace out
scrubout

Khas
23-03-2007, 00:58
I admire your enthusiasm, keep on trucking :)

Great_Destroyer
23-03-2007, 01:36
Thxs, for the sig, man! any ways wheres this melta gunner I keep hearing about but don't see any pics, wtf man lets get on it, I got a las cannon team and a serg done for the legions come on man!!!!

O and i didn't say it in my ealery post but I really like the guards men on the griffion.

Strelok
23-03-2007, 02:35
Does the one with the flamer have a beret on? I can't totally tell what the green sculpted thing is due to the blurriness.

scrubout
23-03-2007, 02:53
Thanks for the comments Khas, Great_Destroyer, and Strelok! Stuff like this makes me keep truckin'!

It's a contest Great_Destroyer, whoever posts first in my log giving feedback or support after I update with progress gets sig status. Revel in your minutes of fame, because whoever replies to my next photo update will have their chance in the limelight.

I'm currently working on a chimera as request by jasevx and Codsticker, they are right, I need a short break from infantry and a tank will be a nice deviation.

Sorry about that poor pic, always seems you guys have something to nitpick about my photography! :p When I take pics tonight I'll retake a photo of him if you'd like. It is a beret with a tiny skull I shaved off a lasgun or something set in it. Now he looks uber 'ard as nails. Berets make all the difference.

I also got bolters, lasguns, and a wonderful empire banner from irfpio in the post today! Joy! Not that it has much to do with this project log...yet...I've got a diorama planned that will be a long time in the making.

-peace out

Strelok
23-03-2007, 05:05
My panasonic takes some real nice pictures of my models. I can't remember its model number, fxr7 or something. It's quite nice. I'd recommend it to anyone! I'll check the model number when i get home!

irfpio
23-03-2007, 05:29
Looking good... The army is coming along nicely - looking forward to seeing more..:D

Cheers
Irfpio

scrubout
23-03-2007, 06:12
Nice to see you again irfpio.

Ha, it's okay Strelok, don't trouble yourself, I can't afford anything like that right now anyway so you just have to deal with my eye-hemorraging pictures!

Get ready, here's more.

Progress on old chimera (officially done for now, forgot to add some red lenses, which I will try and learn how to "jewel effect" later...not enough time or patience right now)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN3037.jpg

Progress on latest chimera, quite a bit left to do, but good progress today:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN3040.jpg

Cool stripe on heavy stubber gun shield!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN3039.jpg

More pictures in next post...

scrubout
23-03-2007, 06:15
"Grr!" For Strelok, he looks much better now:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN3036.jpg

And an example of my batsignal idea using an aquila, anyone got any alternative "idears"?:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrubout/DSCN3035.jpg

I don't even like Batman that much, I just think the idea of a batsignal being funny. They use it when they need some Space Marine help.

Command and Conquer is welcome.

Oh ya, DEFCON 3 has been maintained, shakey though, gotta finish this chimera up soon!

-peace out

Strelok
23-03-2007, 07:25
As for an idea regarding the Emp-signal, make a disk of green stuff the size of the opening on the spotlight, then either carve out the eagle or press the eagle into the green stuff disk and then after it dries, punch the rest of the way through so it looks like the light shines through it and projects it into the sky. As for easy gem-effect on the square lens (note: SQUARE lens): paint the whole thing black, the the bottom corner (for this example I will say the bottom right) start painting progressively smaller Ls in progressively lighter colors (of red in your case) up to blazing orange, and then you can finish with a very thin line of skull white. In the upper left, then paint a very small dot of white and finish the whole thing off with a coat of 'ardcoat. That's essentially what I do and it seems to work.

jasevx
23-03-2007, 09:36
Beret looks good, the search light idea is great! And I'm a big fan of the twinlinked bolter turret chimeras, great Nid killers!