PDA

View Full Version : WYSIWYG at carnage

Tom - Heretic
24-01-2006, 14:17
Since I'm getting really stuck into my carnage army right now, I suppose it would be a good idea to check a few things first with those people it concerns - also some opinions as to wether these things would bother the rest of you gamers would be cool. Don't want to annoy people :(

1) I'm going to convert gatling gun batteries, probably using the assault cannon from the landraider on the standard metal weapon chassis. Would these be ok for heavy bolters?
2) I'm also going to make rocket launchers to count as lascannons in the same way, not entirely sure how exactly they'll look but it will be a marked difference from the standard 40K missile launcher. It's for fluff and modelling issues, not laziness. That ok?
3) Eggs on Legs with lascannons...I've been wracking my brain as to how to put lascannons on these great old minis and haven't come up with anything that doesn't look utterly stupid. Would I be able to keep the small multilasers they come equipped with and count them as lascannons? This is giving me the most headaches since, because sentinels can be equipped with multilasers I have no grey areas to hide behind :(.
4) Rough Rider veteran serge with honourifica - my whole squad will have hunting lances, but I want to model this chap as something of a centrepiece and don't want to have to stick a lance on him. A power sabre would be much better. Would having him count as being equipped with a lance be ok, since in the codex it's all or none and it'll be fairly clear that the squad IS armed with lances?

So yeah, maybe I'm worried about nothing but this army has to be as close to perfect as I can get it, so best to be on the safe side :). Any suggestions as to how I can sole these problems wysiwygilly would be much appreciated.

Tomble out.

Darkseer
24-01-2006, 14:20
1) This seems fine.
2) Rocket launchers can be missile launchers, not lascannons imho
3) They're multilasers. Sentinels can take multilasers = confusion.
4) seems ok

Jedi152
24-01-2006, 15:05
As long as you explain what everything is before a game, i see no problem.

I'll have a similar problem with my skeletons. I've used men-at-arms, so they're holding halberds, even thought they're equipped with spears, so i'll have to make it clear before every game.

Crube
24-01-2006, 15:08
I too have no problem, as long as it's explained before the game (that goes for you too Jedi...) however, you may get marked down for army composition / painting as it's not WYSIWYG...

(Cant you trim the blade off the halberd and sharpen the point to make a kind of spear Jedi...? ;)

jigplums
24-01-2006, 22:43
1 and 4 fine
2 and 3 not wysiwyg

Although i'd be fine with it

Lavfluris
24-01-2006, 23:50
I'm going to convert gatling gun batteries, probably using the assault cannon from the landraider on the standard metal weapon chassis.Go for it.

I'm also going to make rocket launchers to count as lascannons in the same way, not entirely sure how exactly they'll look but it will be a marked difference from the standard 40K missile launcher.So long as it's pretty obvious in some manner that the rocket launcher can make a mess of tanks, then this should be fine. Just use the biggest missle launchers you can find, obviously bigger than those used by any Infantry in your army. You could then add a Lascannon power pack and wiring, or similar, to the rocket launchers, just so it is obvious it is really a Lascannon. The power pack would also help to define the weapon's power.

Would I be able to keep the small multilasers they come equipped with and count them as lascannons?Nope, they are Multi-lasers and not Lascannons, so you will have to think of something else I'm afraid. You could use the rocket launcher conversion you are already thinking of using for other models in the army.

Would having him count as being equipped with a lance be ok, since in the codex it's all or none and it'll be fairly clear that the squad IS armed with lances?As long as a majority of the models in a unit have the weapon option chosen, in this case, lances, then it's fine.

I've used men-at-arms, so they're holding halberds, even thought they're equipped with spears, so i'll have to make it clear before every game.You will have to remove the Halberd's curved blades from the majority of the models, otherwise you're not adhering to WSYIWYG. ;)

EDIT: For the record, I am fine with all of the above 'problems' as it were. However, the Carnage Tournament has it's rules to make sure the gaming is free from misinterpretation and argument, so we are bound by these rules.

starlight
25-01-2006, 00:22
Giving the LasLauncha powerpacks/huge stacks of Ammo should help with any possible confusion. For me it's always been simple as long as *all* your MLs are Lascannons and you don't have any actual Lascannons, I wouldn't have any issues.

The only thing that *might* be confusing is the type of Las weapon on the Eggs. Can we see some pics? That would help.:D

Personally, I'd pretty cool with most things.:D

Fallen Angel
25-01-2006, 00:40
as long as you tell me before the game clearly what everything was, i couldn't give two monkeys as to the modellings but then im very easy going and just a pure gamer.

Jedi152
25-01-2006, 07:27
You will have to remove the Halberd's curved blades from the majority of the models, otherwise you're not adhering to WSYIWYG. ;)
Not a problem. It'll probably be easier for me to just snip the tops off, and stick the skeleton spear tips on.

Sylass
25-01-2006, 07:40
Before you start cutting off halberd tops, better double check if Lav was serious about that...I kinda doubt that. ;)

Tom - Heretic
25-01-2006, 08:11
Cheers Lav. So I just need to come up with an idea to put lascannons on my EOL sentinels. I'm sure I'll think of something.

Darkseer
25-01-2006, 08:15
Under the carriage perhaps?

Lavfluris
25-01-2006, 20:13
It'll probably be easier for me to just snip the tops off, and stick the skeleton spear tips on.Whatever works for you, so long as you have the desired effect. :)

Jedi152
26-01-2006, 07:51
I'll see what i can do. Don't worry, they'll clearly be spears...

Lardidar
26-01-2006, 10:32
I'll see what i can do. Don't worry, they'll clearly be spears...

Is it Bretonnian men at arms? If so they are armed with polearms which can count as either halberds or spears (according to the bret book anyway) but I suppose it is an easy conversion to swap them to spear tips.