PDA

View Full Version : New Tomb Kings out in May 2010

Pages : 1 [2]

Chiron
28-11-2009, 18:04
The caveat being that TKs don't get too aligned to VCs

Damn right, I've an army that can be used as both but I just find Vampires so bland they arent much fun to construct an army for. three skeleton regiments then load up on the specials

I love my fast cav and chariots to much

Enigmatik1
29-11-2009, 18:10
The caveat being that TKs don't get too aligned to VCs - as I think the vast majority of players enjoy the unique appeal generated by TKs. I think many of us are hoping for changes to Casket, Ushabti, Cavalry, etc... but not to magic which greatly differentiates us.

Cheers,

X.

I'm fairly certain that anyone who has any vested interest in Tomb Kings agress with you, Xantus. I'm more interested in what they do to balance our various Skeleton-based units.

Genghis Khan
30-11-2009, 14:38
Scorpions 5 wounds? does that mean unit strengh 5? hmmm

I'm not convinced about this rumor, as many said, hardly new changes. They have to make changes, magic wise, unit wise.

Xantus
01-12-2009, 14:59
I think what this all culminates to is that TKs are an army that is very challenging to play with - especially if one is not as seasoned within the game. By this I mean that it is an army that is less forgiving with poor tactical decisions - as opposed to say i.e. Chaos, Elves or Dwarves. This because TKs rely quite heavily on magic synergies for outmaneuvering its opponents with flank strikes and fear driven strategium.

Perhaps the remedy to this is as the rumours allude to; a strengthening of key units i.e. Ushabti, tomb guard and skeletons in order to provide some defensive alternatives when the offensive initiative is lost and one needs some core bastions to hold the line.

Cheers,

X.

Luisjoey
03-12-2009, 20:54
i dont really believe this until i see pictures.... :S

outbreak
03-12-2009, 23:15
i don't think tomb kings even need many changes. Maybe some point dropping here and there and adjusting some stats of unused units (i'm looking at you heavy cav). As they stand now they are still a competitive army and i still see them doing ok in tournaments around here (i just placed 2nd in one with mine a couple weeks ago). Yes they take abit of time to get your head around but i'm far from an expert (been playing tabletop games for 6 months, tk first army) and mine do ok (some people complain their over powered to me and still haven't beaten them). I'd be dissapointed if too much gets majorly changed and i hope they stay a tactical force and don't become a dumb down charge in and win style army.

Enigmatik1
04-12-2009, 03:20
Perhaps the remedy to this is as the rumours allude to; a strengthening of key units i.e. Ushabti, tomb guard and skeletons in order to provide some defensive alternatives when the offensive initiative is lost and one needs some core bastions to hold the line.

Cheers,

X.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the Tomb Guard now. They are the defensive bastion of the list, despite being neither true hammer nor anvil. I think a wider variety of equipment options and a slight point decrease are all they need (but not 9 points/model unless they're being "demoted" to Core units). Like the ability to upgrade to some heavy armor equivalent for a better armor save if you need the defense and/or the ability to equip flails instead of HW/S if you want a more offensive unit, perhaps...

Ultimately, however, you're right. My TG unit is the only solid barricade unit that I have to field when I lose initiative for whatever reason. Everything else tends to get dispatched rather quickly when this happens.

Genghis Khan
04-12-2009, 05:26
What GW should focus on is getting some special charaters based on different dynasty. That could leave room for choosing different lore or incantations. I find the theme aspect put alot into the games. Again, it's different variety. I would love to see a special character ex scorpion king that has an incantation to raise 2d6 wounds of ushabti x inches from it's caster.

Ubshabti definitly give them regeneration.

Tomb Guards for a unit that is elite (the kings bodyguards) should have better stats but with a point adjustment.

Casket of souls I presume there are souls in this casket? Why not have them etheral that defend the priest. In combat 2d6 of souls appear.

It's just ideas. GW can get along with the stats and cost to balance it out.

Isabel
04-12-2009, 06:04
What GW should focus on is getting some special charaters based on different dynasty. That could leave room for choosing different lore or incantations. I find the theme aspect put alot into the games. Again, it's different variety. I would love to see a special character ex scorpion king that has an incantation to raise 2d6 wounds of ushabti x inches from it's caster.

Ubshabti definitly give them regeneration.

Tomb Guards for a unit that is elite (the kings bodyguards) should have better stats but with a point adjustment.

Casket of souls I presume there are souls in this casket? Why not have them etheral that defend the priest. In combat 2d6 of souls appear.

It's just ideas. GW can get along with the stats and cost to balance it out.

This would over power TK though. Personally, I enjoy playing an army that makes you think about troop selection and ingame tactics. Ushabti having regen would make them the next broken unit and no TK army would ever be without them. They certainly do need a boost in armor save, 3+ would be fitting of a construct in my opinion.

Tomb Guard already have a S4 and T4 so anything beyond that is getting into the area of monsters. I wouldnt mind another attack though ;) I'd like to see a special body guard style rule. Something that encourages a prince or king to accompany his retinue.

And I believe the idea of the casket is that the souls are trapped within it. I think it wouldnt fit the fluff if they defended the object that is containing thier souls. But I do agree that some better combat defense is necessary for it. A liche and 2 TG are not even close to adequate.

Enigmatik1
04-12-2009, 15:19
I've always liked the idea of Tomb Guard being 2W and Flammable like Kings/Princes instead of giving them heavy armor honestly, but I know that isn't going to happen. :cries:

White_13oy
04-12-2009, 17:03
I too have always been a fan of the 2w but flammable TG, Make sense for partial Mummified unit. The Casket definitely needs some sort of protection, maybe either more guards or something else. The Ushabti would be too good with regeneration, i've always liked the idea that they change depending on a god. I'm in love with the Bodyguard rule being implemented for Ushabti and Tomb Kings. Maybe if they guard him they get a 5++ save. That way we get some more survivable Ushabti and a reason to put them with their King. Also Maybe two units of TG as Core if you take a HLP as you Heirophant.

Mozzamanx
04-12-2009, 17:25
I'd stay away from a buff to our Tomb Guard, because I can't really think of a good way to improve them without making them OTT. Maybe some more wargear options, but nothing serious.
What I would do, however, is grant a 6+ save to any character within the unit to reflect them actively guarding him.

Stuff I would like to see:
- Light Chariots as core, regardless of general.
- Heavy Chariots as a special choice, 1-3 per unit. Make them proper chariots (D6 impacts, no fast cavalry, 4+ save) and crewed by 2 Tomb Guard and a Skeleton driver.
- Royal Chariot as a mount for the King, as our equivalent of Dragons or Carnosaurs. Make it a monster of a Chariot, with scythed wheels, 4 horses and a massive crew. I'm thinking King, 2 Drivers, 2 Tomb Guard and an Ushabti. Maybe some rules to make it holy or blessed in some way.

- Move Icon Bearer to Core, in exactly the same way as Dark Elf Assassins. He is not worth a Hero slot, and the undead BSB rules are hardly overpowering. Think of them as Heralds for the Princes and Kings.
- Construct armour changed to 4+.
- New Incantation to lower enemies WS/BS as they are hit by a sandstorm.
- New Incantation to remove friendly units and allow them to redeploy next turn ('Banner of the Shifting Sands', rather than ICFB)
- Ushabti have Light Armour (3+ total) and maybe some limited 'marking' with the Gods of Nehekhara.
- Give the Bone Giant impact hits, with any kills added onto his Attack value?
- Sphinx as a new Rare unit. Where the Giant is a tough battering ram, this should be extremely hard to pin down and exists to kill small units.

Xantus
05-12-2009, 14:18
I agree TG can sometimes be the exception and hold the line when initiative is lost - but unfortunately this is not consistent. I agree with some of the comments above re: 2W or 2A (higher resilience or higher skill for the King's bodyguard unit) perhaps being the key to making this elite unit more reliable. I see the merit in heavy armour, but I think this is one area that should perhaps remain unchanged - as the theme calls for fast mobile troops over heavy armoured units.

Some good suggestions in the last few posts - which would match TK's to current 7th edition armies.

Cheers,

X.

isidril93
05-12-2009, 21:59
id like too see them

LouiseDePointe
11-12-2009, 09:28
While this is off topic, if it is true that templates will auto hit...

then scraplaunchers are about to become fantastic. Big template with killing blow+auto hit+clumped screen troops= hilarious.

I really hope TK come out in may. While OK are supremely underpowered, and TK armies are still somewhat valid, TK can only really be competitively played one way. One somewhat boring way. Not to mention they've got pretty dated skeleton models.

Even so, I'm going to need to find an army I can reasonably play while they take their time updating my beloved OK.

theblackmage
11-12-2009, 12:02
Stuff i've heard for the new tomb kings book:

Tomb king/prince: s5. new mounts - a giant carrion called a rock, a royal chariot (heavy chariot with bells), and a construct (skelebeast style thing). special curses available.
Liche priest: new incantation rules. lesser priests can be taken in units. rip-style stuff.
Icon bearer: a tomb guard hero, with a bsb that gives -1 to crumble within 12". gets a special incantation from his banner.
Shawabti: construct hero. counts as lesser priest.

Skeleton warriors: come with bows. may have spears and shields for +1. light armour option. cheaper.
Skeleton cavalry: come with bows, may swap to spears. fast cav, cheaper.
Skeleton light chariots: core now.
Tomb swarms: 3w, 3a undead swarms. 25pts, m5. can be given 10" flight and/or poison.
Tomb guard: cheaper.

Tomb scorpion: new construct rules. new killing blow/poison rules. can be upgraded to count as a lesser priest.
Ushabti: new construct rules. s5 with halberds, and other equipment/command options. cheaper.
Carrion: cheaper. a big one called a rock.
Heavy cavalry: same as core cav, with +1ws, light armour, shield, and spear. may swap shield and spear for flail. cheaper.
Heavy chariot: proper chariot.
Desert stalkers: skellies with two handweapons or bows, and poison. may scout or upgrade to icfb. robes.
Godblooded: new elite (better than tg). greatweapons. bonuses based on chosen god - sun god acts like mark of nurgle. animal death masks.

Bone giant: new construct rules. +1ws. equipment options. cheaper. may count as a banner.
Catapult: multiple ammunition types - burning skull, screaming skull, swarming skull, weeping skull.
Casket: different "modes". boosts priest's incantations.
The embalmed: mummies. no crumble. t5, regen, 2w.
Tomb sphynx: desert spirit/construct. moves as ethereal. better stats than scorpion. may icfb when on the field. base-contact template sandstorm.

huitzilopochtli
11-12-2009, 12:25
theblackmage, I'd love to believe everything you've said for my precious TKs, but where did you get this information? I'm skeptical that it's only wishlisting, but you seem very sure of your details.

jahorin
11-12-2009, 12:38
It seems to good to be true, there's too many choices in each categorie to be valid. But who knows maybe you are right, thanks for shring the info.

Spiney Norman
11-12-2009, 12:41
Loving those rumours, where did they come from. They certainly seem more plausible than anything we've heard so far. Sounds like a lot of inspiration from the new Nagash book, and emphasises the Egyptian them more (which can only be a good thing).

I'm dreading the reaction the Sphynx is going to get if these are accurate though, a tunneling ethereal super-scorp sounds like it could well be Hydra/HPA moans x10.

My only slight wobble is that there seems like a lot of new units, it would be welcome because TK have the smallest selection of pretty much any army in the game, but with that many new things and skeleton plastics so desperately in need of new models they're making a heck of a lot of work for themselves.

Chiron
11-12-2009, 12:48
Sounds like a lot of inspiration from the new Nagash book, and emphasises the Egyptian them more (which can only be a good thing).

First part oh dear god no!, not good as the books awful, second part is good

Spiney Norman
11-12-2009, 12:51
I was talking about the Sphinxes and the god-devoted temple guard, it would be so awesome to build a Mahrak themed list, the siege of the Holy City scene is the most awesome in the book.

I've just read the rumour list again... Scorpions with incantations, are you sure? Thats utterly perverse.

gdsora
11-12-2009, 15:48

Tomb king/prince: s5. new mounts - a giant carrion called a rock, a royal chariot (heavy chariot with bells), and a construct (skelebeast style thing). special curses available.
Liche priest: new incantation rules. lesser priests can be taken in units. rip-style stuff.
Icon bearer: a tomb guard hero, with a bsb that gives -1 to crumble within 12". gets a special incantation from his banner.

Skeleton warriors: come with bows. may have spears and shields for +1. light armour option. cheaper.
Tomb swarms: 3w, 3a undead swarms. 25pts, m5. can be given 10" flight and/or poison.

Tomb scorpion: new construct rules. new killing blow/poison rules. can be upgraded to count as a lesser priest.
Ushabti: new construct rules. s5 with halberds, and other equipment/command options. cheaper.
Heavy cavalry: same as core cav, with +1ws, light armour, shield, and spear. may swap shield and spear for flail. cheaper.
Desert stalkers: skellies with two handweapons or bows, and poison. may scout or upgrade to icfb. robes.
Godblooded: new elite (better than tg). greatweapons. bonuses based on chosen god - sun god acts like mark of nurgle. animal death masks.

Bone giant: new construct rules. +1ws. equipment options. cheaper. may count as a banner.
Catapult: multiple ammunition types - burning skull, screaming skull, swarming skull, weeping skull.
Tomb sphynx: desert spirit/construct. moves as ethereal. better stats than scorpion. may icfb when on the field. base-contact template sandstorm.

I love these, and i really really really hope these are true.
These seem fairly realistic. I am loving the new units, upgrades and hopefully some new good rules

Enigmatik1
11-12-2009, 16:55
Heavens to Murgatroid, where to begin...

Our "Combat" characters needed more mount options, however this may be excessive. All we really need is a Royal Chariot (give this bad boy the possiblity of Ethereal movement only, NOT the Ethereal rule as a whole) and forget the rest...although possibly keeping the Roc for a High Liche Priest mount would be nice and wouldn't necessitate the Cloak of the Dunes appearing in every single TK list known to man. :D

I'm all for Liche Priest changes and given what they actually do for the army as a whole, making them unit upgrades is most welcome depending on any changes in expense.

We all know we wanted an Ushabti hero choice...implementation should prove to be interesting, especially if he also functions as a LP.

The Icon Bearer doesn't seem to have changed much. He's already a TG hero that gives -1 to crumbling. :D The special incantation is key to him finally becoming viable.

If this means that Tomb Guard become Core, I'm going to be in heaven if these are true. I'd even consider fielding Tomb Swarms if they're like this. I really liked the idea of combining the Horsemen into one highly customizable unit that I'd heard floating around, but I'll take any improvements I can get in this regard. Core Light Chariots? YAY! Now I don't HAVE to field a King to play the style of army I want.

Scorpy needs a points increase as it stands now, I'd hate to see how much he costs with these changes/upgrades. But I can't see them making him not worth fielding. How the new construct rules play out will be key and may finally truly validate a construct list. Not really liking the Ushabti Strength nerf, but I knew it was coming so no big deal. I actually like the Heavy Cavalry changes and would actually consider using them with WS3/S5 on a charge. Do we have Tomb Guard driving these Heavy chariots? If so...yum!

Not feeling the Desert Stalkers. I don't see the need/point unless they fight much better than normal Skeletons. Skeletons with no ranks to back them up? Pass! The Godblooded sound cool as hell.

Big Bone as stand-in standard bearer? Interesting. WS4, good. Cheaper. Good. GO BIG BONE. Anything to the SSC to make it better is money. Weeping skulls in particular sound very interesting. Mummies...YAY. They dont' crumble and have two wounds each? DOUBLE YAY!

Now, I'm worried about any changes to the Casket of Souls and this Sphinx contraption. All the previous rumored CoS changes I've read have been broken. I'm all for different modes, but they have to be careful with this thing or it could be very, very bad. I'm ambivalent on the Sphinx idea. It's a super scorpion with Ethereal movement? Meh...depends on what this sandstorm actually does.

All in all these read like good changes that, aside from whatever they do with the CoS and this Sphinx, will add a lot of variety to our list (which it currently lacks) without being stupid or overpowered.

Thanks for sharing, black.

CaliforniaGamer
11-12-2009, 17:03

There are soo many cool things, this would count as the best rumor Ive seen yet for WFB.

Wouldnt this require an absolute TON of models to be made though? Am reading the Tomb Guard as core now? With a more uber TG-type infantry unit as a special?

I hope all this is true.

Revlid
11-12-2009, 17:51

This all fits with stuff from the Rumour Roundup, although the "special curses" and mounts are new. I'm confused as to what a "lesser priest" is, though. Is that a Hero Liche Priest? It sounds like a (less powerful) unit upgrade, like an Assassin or Packmaster. How broken the Shawabti and Scorpion are may hinge on whether that's the case or not.

This all sounds about right, and I especially like the changes to Tomb Swarms. I've always thought they should be able to Fly.
Chariots as Core regardless of General? Interesting...
Tomb Guard as Core? Wow. Guess they're being pushed up by the new Special elite. They could probably share a plastic kit with any new TK Skellie kit, actually...

The Scorpion sounds interesting. Again, I want to hear more about these "lesser priests". Are they actual Liche Priests, or just bonus-granting Acolytes?
Are Ushabti going to be S5, with S6 from their Halberds? Or S4, with S5 from their Halberds? Command and weapons have been rumoured. Looking forward to new construct rules.
I might actually take these new cavalry.
Not sure if the heavy chariot is necessary, but whatever.
Desert Stalkers - I want to build an Ikana Canyon themed army. This is relevant to my Garo-interests (http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee77/Draith_Mythra/Garo-1.jpg).
Godblooded are straight out of Nagash the Sorcerer. Should be interesting, and sound flavoursome as.

The Bone Giant counting as a banner is new (and... odd, unless I'm misunderstanding) but everything else sounds just as rumoured.
Catapult ammunition types are interesting. They fit with the recent things like Corpse Cart types, and I'll be interested to see how they pull each one off. I'm guessing Screaming is basically Skulls of the Foe, Swarming is a Tomb Swarm bundled up inside the heads, Burning is, well, burning (which used to be a default...), and weeping is... Poison? Warpstone? Onions?
Casket sounds in line with Rumour Roundup.
Embalmed sound like a total tarpit. I mean, 5 Chaos Knights are going to do what, 2 wounds on the charge? That's one mummy. Ouch. Still, with Regen (and Flammable, I presume) Flaming attacks with mess them up something nasty.
I'm reserving judgement on the Sphynx. It could be a total abomination, and given GW's recent track record with monsters, I'm not prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm interested that it's a spirit (daemon? djinni?) rather than a 'true' construct, though.

scarletsquig
11-12-2009, 18:00
Aww, no zombie crocodiles? :(

Green Feevah!
11-12-2009, 18:01
There are soo many cool things, this would count as the best rumor Ive seen yet for WFB.

Wouldnt this require an absolute TON of models to be made though? Am reading the Tomb Guard as core now? With a more uber TG-type infantry unit as a special?

I hope all this is true.

Not really. Royal chariot/Heavy chariot can be as simple as an upgarde sprue to existing chariots.

Character Ushabti and Roc would need new metals. Same with Sphinx and the Embalmed.

Then a new plastic kit that can make skeleton warriors/TG/desert stalkers. And maybe a new kit for cavalry.

I'd also hope or a new catapult.

Realistically though, we're tallkkng 2-3 plastic kits and 5-7 metal kits. That's what most new armies get nowadays.

Plus GW's new policy seems to be adding in 1-3 units in the book that don't have models (both to encourage modelling and leave a window for more releases down the road). That alone makes this list plausible.

Enigmatik1
11-12-2009, 18:09
I'm going to go out on a limb that these Lesser Priests are going to be model upgrades, like Champions and Musicians are now. The usefulness of the Musician in Undead armies has always been dicey (how often do Skeletons draw in close combat?). Maybe, these Lesser Priests will replace the Musician for us now, retaining their ability to cast one Incantation on their given unit on one die?

@Revlid-

That pic does look pretty cool. I guess I won't be so hateful of the Desert Stalker idea moving forward ;). I just initially envisioned the same ****-poor-in-combat Skeletons in robes pretending (and failing) to be assassin-esque.

Revlid
11-12-2009, 18:10
Aww, no zombie crocodiles? :(

http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_arcana_567_pic1_en.jpg ;)

Maybe the construct mount thing for the King will suffice, counts-as wise?

John Wayne II
11-12-2009, 18:19

It all sounds good, and I would be quite happy if it actually turned out to be true. It's funny how we now have more accurate rumors for the Tomb Kings book than we do for Beasts.

Revlid
11-12-2009, 18:48
It all sounds good, and I would be quite happy if it actually turned out to be true. It's funny how we now have more accurate rumors for the Tomb Kings book than we do for Beasts.

Detailed isn't necessarily accurate. Pinch of salt and all that.

John Wayne II
11-12-2009, 18:52
Detailed isn't necessarily accurate. Pinch of salt and all that.

True. Still, it's nice to have something that looks accurate. :cries:

Enigmatik1
11-12-2009, 19:15

LOL! Like some of the proposed Ushabti or Casket of Souls rumors over the past few months...talk about some good "stuff"...

Green Feevah!
11-12-2009, 22:50
Wasn't there a rumor earlier this year that said you'd be able to take something like 6 liche priests in an army? That to me says 2 for 1 hero slots. I'll try to find where I read that, but I remember it was on Warseer.

Paraelix
11-12-2009, 22:58

Not hard to look accurate when you bring in nothing new and generally only make previously "wishlisted" changes and minor points adjustment.

Revlid
11-12-2009, 23:34
Not hard to look accurate when you bring in nothing new and generally only make previously "wishlisted" changes and minor points adjustment.

Now hold on. I'm as suspicious of this as the next guy, especially given the lack of source. But there are quite a few new things here that haven't been rumoured before, ranging from the mounts, to those three new special choices, to the upgrades on the catapult. And I can't see any points adjustments listed, beyond "cheaper".

Maybe I'm just desperate given the state of the Beastmen rumours (both in terms of quantity and quality), but let's not impune the rumours on untrue grounds.

Spiney Norman
12-12-2009, 01:16
Actually what caught my eye on these rumours wasn't the rule changes themselves, but the detail of the new construct hero choice. "Shawabti" is hardly a name someone would invent out of thin air, its either semi-genuine or was invented by someone with a very good knowledge of Egyptology.

Enigmatik1
12-12-2009, 02:04
Actually what caught my eye on these rumours wasn't the rule changes themselves, but the detail of the new construct hero choice. "Shawabti" is hardly a name someone would invent out of thin air, its either semi-genuine or was invented by someone with a very good knowledge of Egyptology.

Point duly noted. I consider myself fairly well versed in the area of ancient Egyptian religion and I'd never heard of Shawabti before until today.

Although the addition of the Roc made me question this because Rocs were associated more with Persia and Arabia than ancient Egypt...I think. Actually, when I read Roc first I thought of the big ass birds from D&D...you know the ones the size of small towns? ;)

Lilike
12-12-2009, 02:14
He has posted rumors before, not very accurate ones though

Skywave
12-12-2009, 02:49
That's some quite good rumor there, true or not :) I smiled at the Roc mount/carrion champion, though it won't be as big as the mythilogic one (able to catch elephant!), still nice to have such monster being "warhammerized"!

Mummy unit (2 wounds and flammable, no crumble) make me dance of joy if anything close to that comes out :D I truly want something like that!

I have also "created" a Ushabti hero choice once for some wishlisting thing, and would be nice to see one, many people didn't liked my idea at first :)

Desrt Stalker looks cool too, kind of "banner of the sand" unit :) Also to me the undead from TK should be more "independant" than the VC one, not needing the close attention of a master to work, and this unit can represent this well! Deep striking skeletons!

lord marcus
12-12-2009, 03:48
if that mummie rumor is true i expect them to be on par points wise to current knights of the realm.

ddfishy
12-12-2009, 04:55

Assuming those rumours are accurate.... the ones that are out for beasts have been backed up by reliable sources.... Harry, Hastings etc... They same can't be said for these....

But hopefully these rumours do turn out to be accurate...

Ludaman
12-12-2009, 05:25
The rumors sound great, however as others have said, the sheer number of new units in each section makes it sound a bit wish-listy. Too bad though, I'd love to see the Chosen Tomb Guard especially, as silly as the Nagash book was, it really made me want to see those chosen units on the table.

-Grimgorironhide-
12-12-2009, 06:55

Some pretty nice stuff in there, thats for sure.
Even though I am very skeptical on TK rumours because they are still far away, alot of these sound very plausible judging by past army books.

King/Prince mounts (I.e even skaven, who never had mounts besides the bell got a few so this is very plausible).
Better skellies is a must.
Light Horseman and Heavy are also in the must section for a boost.
Flying Swarms are plausible since it does make good sense fluffwise. Plus it will be fun.
Ushabti getting a boost is very likely.
Tomb guard in core though I doubt.
Heavy Chariot is quite plausible.
Scout unit is fairly plausible.
Bone Giant equipment options is very plausible since it had them in the chronicles.
Mummies are quite plausible as is the Sphynx.

I just hope that GW focus on fixing their main problems first though before adding in new toys.
i.e Skellies
-Horsemen
-Priests
-Ushabti

These are the main ones.

cheers.

ambrosehlbiercemencken
12-12-2009, 11:17
If that stuff is not accurate somebody should send it to GW because there are some nice ideas in there.

JackBurton01
12-12-2009, 11:46
It's a little early for accurate tomb king rumors but any rumor is a good rumor

Spiney Norman
12-12-2009, 22:53
If that stuff is not accurate somebody should send it to GW because there are some nice ideas in there.

If they're up for release in may I'm guessing most of the important decisions regarding what will be included will have been made by now, if the book hasn't been written already

jahorin
13-12-2009, 13:24
If they're up for release in may I'm guessing most of the important decisions regarding what will be included will have been made by now, if the book hasn't been written already

If it's out in may, the book is written and almost sent to the printers.

Karham
13-12-2009, 13:38
We should know the GW release officially with the January/february newsletter, a was for Beastmen... Then we'll know if the release is TK or not :D

Xantus
13-12-2009, 18:32
Another interesting rumour... some stuff that fixes the issues we've been complaining for a while - and others that are actually a turn-off in my opinion...

Ushabti getting a strength drop is ridiculous when we've all been saying that these lack a better save or toughness... a washabti is not a fix either... a tougher magic phase will lead to massive outcries...deservingly so. Tougher scorpions and uber-sphinxes? You kidding me? Are we digressing back to monster/hero hammer days?... no thanks.

As for godblooded... a welcomed alternative to TG.

Cheers,

X.

nightstorm
13-12-2009, 19:38
Shawabti?? sounds like a bit someone has warhammerised Showaddywaddy... i would say its a wish list but then again GW have altered names in the past.

On the other hand i like some of the ideas and would love to see TK revisited soon as i do like the army and would like an excuse to start collecting them.

mrtn
13-12-2009, 20:00
Shawabti (http://images.google.se/images?hl=sv&source=hp&q=shawabti&btnG=S%C3%B6k+bilder&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=) seems to be small statues of pharaos.

Isabel
13-12-2009, 20:13
Ushabti getting a strength drop is ridiculous when we've all been saying that these lack a better save or toughness....

If the rumor is even true, it saies
- S5 and halberd (S6, same as before)
- cheaper
- equipment options

Sounds good to me.

Enigmatik1
13-12-2009, 21:32
Well, we can't be sure. I thought GW was getting away from Ogre sized models being higher than S4 base (see Kroxigors). I'm more intrigued by the cheaper and the equipment options possibilities.

-Grimgorironhide-
13-12-2009, 21:54
Well, we can't be sure. I thought GW was getting away from Ogre sized models being higher than S4 base (see Kroxigors). I'm more intrigued by the cheaper and the equipment options possibilities.

True but Rat Ogres stayed str 5 base. I doubt GW would make Ushabti str 4 base mainly because they are underpowered for what they do already. With kroxigors they were well worth their points before the str drop so mabye that could be the reason why they went to str 4, because they weren't underpowered?

cheers.

Revlid
13-12-2009, 22:21
Ushabti getting a strength drop is ridiculous when we've all been saying that these lack a better save or toughness... a washabti is not a fix either...

Actually they seem to be staying the same basic strength. S5+1 for Halberds goes to S6. Then with other equipment options (I assume Shield?) they drop back down to S5.
If Ushabti do go up to a 4+ Save, then we could potentially give them a 2+ save with that Shield. That'd be awesome. Even if they stay at 5+, that's a 3+ save on a healable model.

Tougher scorpions and uber-sphinxes? You kidding me? Are we digressing back to monster/hero hammer days?... no thanks.
Are Scorpions getting tougher? All I can see is the new construct rules (which might be tougher, but that's universal), whatever "killing blow/poison" means (I assume rules on combining the two?), and the ability to be upgraded to a "lesser priest".

It's the "lesser priest" that intrigues me. At the moment I'm assuming it's a unit upgrade of some sort that greants ambient bonuses rather than active incantations - MR(1) rather than Dispel Dice, or Regen/less crumble rather than Summoning. Or one incantation a turn at power level D3. Or one incantation a turn that can fail to go off. I don't know.

Regressing back to Monsterhammer? With Steam Tanks, Hydra, Abominations, Engines, and now these... We're already there.

Isabel
13-12-2009, 23:25

Kroxigors and Ogres being S4 isnt exactly a trend. Dragon Ogres in WoC are S5, as well as Rat Ogres like Grimgor mentioned. Now that I think about it, so are Trolls and Tree-kin.

CasaHouse
13-12-2009, 23:56

Kroxigors got nerfed because GW didn't want an army with a S7 troop choice. If they hadn't added the mixed Skink/Krox units they probably would have kept their proper strength.

Paraelix
14-12-2009, 01:46
Now hold on. I'm as suspicious of this as the next guy, especially given the lack of source. But there are quite a few new things here that haven't been rumoured before, ranging from the mounts, to those three new special choices, to the upgrades on the catapult. And I can't see any points adjustments listed, beyond "cheaper".

Maybe I'm just desperate given the state of the Beastmen rumours (both in terms of quantity and quality), but let's not impune the rumours on untrue grounds.

I was referring to the first post... I would have thought this would be updated as per all the other rumour threads.

As for legitimising something like "Shawabti" because it doesn't sound "made up"... What the hell? Its a word that sounds suspiciously like "Ushabti" that are a pre-existing choice.

Enigmatik1
14-12-2009, 01:54
I was referring to the first post... I would have thought this would be updated as per all the other rumour threads.

As for legitimising something like "Shawabti" because it doesn't sound "made up"... What the hell? Its a word that sounds suspiciously like "Ushabti" that are a pre-existing choice.

I thought the same thing until I Googled Shawabti and found out that they were real objects from ancient Egypt. I already knew that the Ushabti were legit, but Shawabti did sound mighty suspicious.

Kornath
14-12-2009, 10:31
One thing we must remember is that egyptians had many mythological figures, also used in other games.

Wadjet, the goddess of serpents (also seen as a vulture goddess, depends on the area where people worshipped her), as seen in AoM (Age of Mythology) had snakes with wings. She was the goddess of fire and heat, but had access to poison (since she is the goddess of serpents. Undead snake or something else perhaps?

Sobek, the god of crocodiles. Would be kind of nice to have them, dunno what for though. A patron for the army showing strength and power. Leviathan has been mentioned before, some think it has relations to the nile crocodile.

I've also seen some people saying there will be a "rock", it's usually written Roc. A bird big enough to carry off an elephant.

Egyptians also believed in the phoenix. It would live for 500 years in the desert and then burn up, to later resurrect from its ashes.

Just some creatures, that they could include. I'm not saying that any of these will be used, or have been thought of, but there are loads of mythological creatures to pick from.

You could also have two awesome magical items from the Egyptian mythology: The book of Death, and the book of life.

Just my words on everything...

Spiney Norman
14-12-2009, 15:09

Shawabti are figurines from ancient Egyptian burial chambers. They represented labourers who would serve the entombed King/official in the after life.

The Book of the dead Kornath mentioned was closely connected with Shawabti, it was said to be the spells contained within that awakened the shawabti to serve their master.

Perhaps the "Book of death" could be a bound version of Urgency/smiting that could only be cast on constructs?

Xantus
14-12-2009, 16:54
I may have misread re: Ushabti - if they finally count the massive ritual blades as two handed weapons - then a S5 +1 would still maintain S6. Weapon/ shield variations would be great - especially in plastic.

I think the frustration I feel with these rumours re:TKs is that instead of reeinforcing the power of the rank and file via new troop types or stat/ points improvements GW prefers to shift that power to scorpions, carrion, liches, etc... this hero/monster hammer nearly killed interest in the game for two full editions and now is creeping back in... If I wanted to play Zoohammer I would play with my kid's farm set for a lot less money.

Cheers,

X.

archie-d
15-12-2009, 15:26
I think the frustration I feel with these rumours re:TKs is that instead of reeinforcing the power of the rank and file via new troop types or stat/ points improvements GW prefers to shift that power to scorpions, carrion, liches, etc... this hero/monster hammer nearly killed interest in the game for two full editions and now is creeping back in... If I wanted to play Zoohammer I would play with my kid's farm set for a lot less money.

Cheers,

X.

i can certainly sympathise with that, ive thought the same thing myself lately, id much rather have numerous blocks of infantry backed up by a couple of special units.

however, considering that 8th ed. appears to be on the horizon, might they look to implement the same change as they did in 5th ed 40k with making only troops choices scoring?
something along the lines of only core choices capture table quarters or something?
eh, thats pretty lame, but something like that that discourages taking minimum core to fill up on everything else.

hrm, bit off topic there :)

also, if they do release plastic ushabti that look anywhere near as cool as the current models, i'll be getting them day one, regardless of if theyre any good or not! those rumours on them sound pretty good to me though.

Spiney Norman
15-12-2009, 17:14
Plastic Ushabti are not high on the need to do list for me, heres my order of importance

Skeleton infantry
Liche Priests (not necessarily plastic, some half-decent metals would be a start)
Skeleton cavalry
Screamin Skull Catapult
Tomb Guard
Any new units

Tomb Guard and Ushabti would be nice, but the metal models we have are great so no great drama, but the skeleton plastics are so bad it really is a joke. To be honest, even the armies that did get their similar-to-ushabti units redone this edition didn't make the jump from metal to plastic, they got new sculpts in metal (thinking O&G trolls and Kroxigor) The cavalry aren't quite as bad, but they're still quite VCish when they should be more egyptian looking.

Chiron
15-12-2009, 20:28
Ushabti models are absolutely gorgeous, no need to change em at all.

Skeleton Cav and some decent Liche Priests I can get behind though

Enigmatik1
15-12-2009, 23:00
Agreed, Chiron. Although I think I'm the only guy who doesn't like the current Carrion models. Then again, I'm anti-buzzard. Give me hawks instead!

warhawk95
15-12-2009, 23:24
I would like to see an easier scorpion to put together, or atleast very detailed instrucions. I do not know about you guys, but when I tried to put one together for a conversion it was...well lets just say the conversion never happened.

wartoy2020@yahoo.com
15-12-2009, 23:56
I would be tickled to death just to have better looking minis that where is availible for the carions and catapult.

Enigmatik1
16-12-2009, 01:08
I would like to see an easier scorpion to put together, or atleast very detailed instrucions. I do not know about you guys, but when I tried to put one together for a conversion it was...well lets just say the conversion never happened.

Do what I did, war. Get a Reaper miniatures scorpion instead. :D If (and that's a big if) any of these rumors are indeed true, the Nefoskar line of Reaper models just found a new home at the table...aside from the aforementioned scorpion.

Darkspear
16-12-2009, 01:22
How can I help? :D

If I was going to be talking about what was up next after Beastmen ....

.... I still wouldn't be talking about tomb Kings.

Why is everyone having false hope on the tombkings, didn't Harry shoot down the rumors weeks ago (as above). Or am I missing something

Chiron
16-12-2009, 02:36
Why is everyone having false hope on the tombkings, didn't Harry shoot down the rumors weeks ago (as above). Or am I missing something

Because we dont know what the hell *is* next thanks to the rumour control and its human nature to speculate

And agreed with the Carrion dislike expressed in the thread, hideous models

Enigmatik1
16-12-2009, 02:46
Because we dont know what the hell *is* next thanks to the rumour control and its human nature to speculate

And agreed with the Carrion dislike expressed in the thread, hideous models

I'm willingly going wildly off topic, but has anyone found any suitable substitutes? I want to field them...but they're so ugly...*sickface*

warhawk95
16-12-2009, 03:16
hmmm might have to get the conversion started again thanks for the tip enigmatik1!

Isabel
16-12-2009, 04:10
I'm not a fan of them either, instead I made undead pegasi riders. It's the best I could come up with ;) Here's what I used:

Skeleton steed with the new plastic (tyranid) gargoyle wings and skeleton rider with spear reversed to be pointing downward. At the moment they are on bases with skewers holding them up in the air but I'm looking into monoliths or something along that line to use as bases for them.

They look kind of nice. Better once the gargoyles finally come out so I can put thier wings on ;) And they keep the ancient undead feel to the army. It wasnt that I didnt like the carrion, I just hated having models in the army that were recently dead and still had feathers/sinews.

Eumerin
16-12-2009, 06:52

Because Harry's comment can be legitimately read in more than one way. For instance - the next army after Beastmen isn't Tomb Kings... because it's a 40K army. Or something similar along those lines.

In short, we don't know if he was restricting his comment to Fantasy only or if he was including all GW product lines.

Revlid
16-12-2009, 08:37
Or, quite possibly, 8th Edition.

zandramas
16-12-2009, 11:13
Lets have some faith, and hope Harry can be wrong, or just twisted his words, like he never does... xDDDD

Chiron
16-12-2009, 13:10
I'm willingly going wildly off topic, but has anyone found any suitable substitutes? I want to field them...but they're so ugly...*sickface*

I use spirit wolves, wolf rider mounts on 40mm bases led by a ghostly huntsmen and based on the red eared hounds of Cwn Anywn

Well... I have the models but I can never resist the lure of TG and Scorpions to actually field them in battle :angel:

Spiney Norman
16-12-2009, 13:22

Ummm, they're undead vultures they ain't meant to be pretty. I have 5 which I field almost every game, they provided a welcome change to paint when all I'd done previously was bone and gold...

My only real criticism of the Carrion is there are only two poses, which are both almost identical anyway, even by mixing the heads up they're not really different enough.

Maybe the if you "deaded-up" a few of the old WE warhawks (the skinny ones, not the giant sparrows we now have) they might fit the bill better.

Lets face it, there are much more urgent units needing new models in the TK army than Carrion.

Enigmatik1
16-12-2009, 14:01
Of course there are, Spiney. :D I just happen to personally like the Carrion the least, along with Big Bone (esp. the Carmen Miranda head...blech). Hence why I asked folks for suitable subs instead of demanding new ones!

Don't make me come over there!!!!11!1 :evilgrin:

Thanks for the tips folks, I appreciate it.

@Chiron-

I feel you. That's probably my primary motivation for deviating from High Priest lists to King-led lists.

The Clairvoyant
16-12-2009, 16:27
I still use the old carrion models as they're left over from my unified Undead army days.
I love the little wraiths on top!

theblackmage
17-12-2009, 15:50
Tomb kings will not be out before 8th edition.

There will be a bit of fluff on 'modern' araby. undeath cults!
Mention of more 'tomb kings' around the world, old empire, badlands, lustria, cathay, etc.
Some truly nasty magic items and curses are proposed.

Special characters:
Settra the imperishable - king on royal chariot. powerhouse lord.
Golden ushabti guardian
High liche priest entombed in bone giant
Liche with biblical incantations
Female mummy with snake abilities
Desert spirit uberstalker
Old follower of nagash
Sacred icon bearer mummy
Bretonnian (!) knight
King on mummified lizard

Spiney Norman
17-12-2009, 16:15

Mention of more 'tomb kings' around the world, old empire, badlands, lustria, cathay, etc.

Special characters:
Golden ushabti guardian
Old follower of nagash
Sacred icon bearer mummy
Bretonnian (!) knight
King on mummified lizard

Wow, those sound pretty wacky. First impression is that sounds like a lot of SCs, even by the standards of 7th Ed where books were coming out with on average 6 SCs, 10 is masses.

Settra - pretty self-explanatory
Golden Ushabti guardian - a construct SC, welcome I guess
HLP in bone giant - Sehenesmet???
Biblical incantation??? Oh dear...
Female mummy with snake abilities - Khalida maybe?
Old Follower of Nagash - maybe Arkhan the Black?
King on mummified Lizard could be something themed from Rasetra using fluff borrowed from Nagash the sorceror

Not sure about the others, a bretonnian knight??? Weird...

Where does you info come from re: time scale, also can you confirm whether the May release will be Ogres or not? I'm slightly suspicious to have any rumours about TK if they are not coming out before 8th as that puts them at least 12 months away, probably longer.

Xantus
17-12-2009, 16:35
I'm very skeptical at the above being true... it would imply a serious resurgence of herohammer which surely most of us would frown upon. I am more likely to align to the rumours that started this thread - as it appears more reasonable and in line with recent releases of other army books.

By the way, I also think the current carrion are just nasty looking... would be a bonus to get something more attractive in the near future... as mentioned above, Giant Hawks would be more appropriate as an aggressive bird... carrions aren't known for aggressive behaviour in the same way as hawks are.

I also agree that the current Ushabti sculpts are great - just wish we could have access to Ushabti weapon sprues as bits... I keep getting Asps with the same weapons - and that is a bit annoying if you want an interesting mix.

Cheers,

X.

Enigmatik1
17-12-2009, 17:40
I'm very skeptical at the above being true... it would imply a serious resurgence of herohammer which surely most of us would frown upon. I am more likely to align to the rumours that started this thread - as it appears more reasonable and in line with recent releases of other army books.

I agree. How many SCs did the Skaven book have in it again? WoC seems to have a lot too. I would be happy with the following:

-Settra, not requiring 2 Lord choices (he's good, but not THAT good)
-Khalida, fine as is
-Sehenesemet, although no other character options is distressing
-A more magically inclined High Liche Priest (although the prospect of fielding "Moses" is interesting...rofl)
-Prince Tut
-Ushabti character

By the way, I also think the current carrion are just nasty looking... would be a bonus to get something more attractive in the near future... as mentioned above, Giant Hawks would be more appropriate as an aggressive bird... carrions aren't known for aggressive behaviour in the same way as hawks are.

I couldn't remember what the hawks looked like so I had to go fishing for them. I like them and think I will buy some to use in place of Carrion (since I don't think I'd be any good at converting my own, ala Isabel).

I also agree that the current Ushabti sculpts are great - just wish we could have access to Ushabti weapon sprues as bits... I keep getting Asps with the same weapons - and that is a bit annoying if you want an interesting mix.

Agreed.

zandramas
17-12-2009, 18:08

Any proof or just speculation?

Revlid
17-12-2009, 18:38
...Interesting.

Sounds good.

Basically as-is, but on a proper chariot, then? Fair enough.
EDIT: I hope he takes up fewer Lord choices now, though.

Golden ushabti guardian
Okay, to be expected with a new character type.
Although the gold makes me think of King Tut.

Oh, that Quatar guy? *checks* Sehenesmet?

...Well, Jesus came back from the dead, I see no reason why Moses couldn't be a liche. :p

Khalida, I'm guessing.

...Seriously? Is this a champion upgrade, or something?

Old follower of nagash
Surely not Arkhan the Black? Is it a more minor necromancer?
Although that Manticore-Chariot was the bomb.

Sacred icon bearer mummy
Okay, a standard bearer character. Seems oddly nondescript, unless the "mummy" part refers to an actual mummy.

Bretonnian (!) knight
lolwut
EDIT: Wait, do you mean Henri Lamorte?

King on mummified lizard
A Rasetran Tomb King? Really?

All in all, I'm sorry but with this number of special character (the highest so far by one, iirc) I can only think you're taking the pee (which I don't want to believe - I really like these rumours) or this is an early look at potential choices for TK characters. I hope the latter, as indicated by the vague timeframe you offer.

StefDa
17-12-2009, 19:53
I just want more Ushabti-type stuff. I love all 40mm-mounted models - especially the Ushabti and Chaos Trolls. I love the concept of monsters, so more stuff that size is awesome news to me.

Chiron
17-12-2009, 22:09
I can see the Knight turning up as some sort of cursed warrior from the Araby crusade

lord marcus
17-12-2009, 23:01
if they redo suliman le saracen as a tomb king character i will be happy ot see my favorite model revived, although i hope the new sculpt wouldn't suck.

Green Feevah!
18-12-2009, 19:07
C'mon, GW wouldn't put out a model that looked terrible.

*looks at Canis Wolfborn*

*looks around*

*ducks for cover*

lord marcus
18-12-2009, 21:18
*blows up cover with nova cannon from emperor class ship *Leonidas*

you just got owned.

Hochdorf
19-12-2009, 03:29
Arkhan the Black would be amazing. He was the first special character I got when I started playing. But isn't he the second-in-command of Nagash, and therefore a sworn enemy of the Tomb Kings? I guess that doesn't really matter since his army would probably be structured much like a Tomb King one... They could have some rule that Arkhan and Settra can't be in the same army, since they hate each other.

Falkenhayn
19-12-2009, 06:11
Didn't the Tomb Fleet raid the crypt of a Bretonnian admiral that beat them?

zandramas
19-12-2009, 17:34
Nobady beats Tmb Fleet! XD
Yahuo

Revlid
19-12-2009, 21:28
Didn't the Tomb Fleet raid the crypt of a Bretonnian admiral that beat them?

Yes, Henri LaMorte. I looked him up, and apparently he was raised as a wight, so go figure.

Falkenhayn
20-12-2009, 06:09
Yes, Henri LaMorte. I looked him up, and apparently he was raised as a wight, so go figure.

"Henry the Dead"? That's a keeper.

Xantus
20-12-2009, 15:42
I wouldn't expect to see that character in a TK army - it is completely off-theme...

Cheers,

X.

Green Feevah!
20-12-2009, 19:26
Is it though? An entire civilization that dedicated themselves to the building of massive edificies for their leaders, whom they worshipped like gods, wouldn't be about special characters?

ro-sa22
20-12-2009, 21:02
This whole thread is off-topic, sorry.

Why is the Ogre Kingdoms thread moved to genereal discussion and this thread with no real rumour at all is still here?

I really dont wanna be the forum sherrif, but common...

StarFyreXXX
20-12-2009, 21:11
Hmm..a Biblical type character? So you mean TK will get a character that is discussed in lots of text, but doesn't actually exist in rules, etc? :)

*ducks for cover*

:)

Sanjay

Spiney Norman
20-12-2009, 21:20
This whole thread is off-topic, sorry.

Why is the Ogre Kingdoms thread moved to genereal discussion and this thread with no real rumour at all is still here?

I really dont wanna be the forum sherrif, but common...

At least we are discussing rumours, even if they are rather sketchy ones, the OK thread started with ultra-weak rumours and ended up being what-army-wide-rule-would-you-give-them-to-make-them-work.

pjschard
21-12-2009, 18:40
I think this number does fit with the newer books

LORD CHOICE
Golden ushabti guardian
UNIT UPGRADE
LORD CHOICE
HERO
HERO?
UNIT UPGRADE
Old follower of nagash
HERO?
Sacred icon bearer mummy
UNIT UPGRADE
Bretonnian (!) knight
HERO
King on mummified lizard
LORD

Revlid
21-12-2009, 20:05
I think this number does fit with the newer books
I don't know.
I mean, Daemons had 9, with 3 Lords, 4 Heroes, and 2 Upgrades.
Dark Elves had 8, with 3 Lords, 3 Heroes, and 2 Upgrades.
Lizardmen had 9, with 4 Lords and 5 Heroes.
Warriors had 9, with 6 Lords and 3 Heroes.

Those are the absolute highest numbers we've had so far (note: have not had read the new Skaven book. Pretty sure they've got comparable numbers). 10 specials would be a whole new level.

(btw, the snake-mummy-queen is an existing Lord called Khalida)

R-Love
22-12-2009, 04:55
I mean, Daemons had 9, with 3 Lords, 4 Heroes, and 2 Upgrades.
Dark Elves had 8, with 3 Lords, 3 Heroes, and 2 Upgrades.
Lizardmen had 9, with 4 Lords and 5 Heroes.
Warriors had 9, with 6 Lords and 3 Heroes.

WoC had 10, with one (Scyla) being a rare choice.

Orkfaeller
22-12-2009, 10:19
have not had read the new Skaven book. Pretty sure they've got comparable numbers

5/6 Lords, 2 Heroes, 1 Upgrade I think.

Revlid
22-12-2009, 21:08
WoC had 10, with one (Scyla) being a rare choice.
Oh, well fair enough then.

Settra the imperishable - king on royal chariot. powerhouse lord = Lord
High liche priest entombed in bone giant = Lord
King on mummified lizard = Lord
Female mummy with snake abilities = Lord
Old follower of nagash = Lord
Liche with biblical incantations = Hero
Sacred icon bearer mummy = Hero
Bretonnian (!) knight = Hero
Golden ushabti guardian = Upgrade
Desert spirit uberstalker = Upgrade/Rare

Five Lords, 3 Heroes, and 2 Upgrades... Could be, I suppose, although I still find the Rasetran King (Lizard-Rider) and the Nagashite unlikely... The Bretonnian, too, now I come to think of it.

Elric
22-12-2009, 21:52
Hi
i'm not sure if this has been mentioned by someone else already, but the studio tk army is out of the display cabinets at warhammer world at the moment. (apart from the bone giants I think) that may be an indication that some of the models are being used for principal book photography.

Enigmatik1
22-12-2009, 23:04
Or that they're all going into the blast furnace because only like 10 of us play the army. :p

Although, why they'd keep Big Bone for nostalgia and not some Ushabti is beyond me. :wtf::shifty::wtf:

chaos0xomega
23-12-2009, 02:39
At least we are discussing rumours, even if they are rather sketchy ones, the OK thread started with ultra-weak rumours and ended up being what-army-wide-rule-would-you-give-them-to-make-them-work.

Weak rumors? OH, you mean the one that brimstone confirmed was true? The one that said that OK were going to be out in 2010?

I've yet to see anyone truly reliable post anything of that magnitude here...

...granted I havent bothered reading like half the posts in this thread, because they are BLATANT WISHLISTING.

Scelerat
23-12-2009, 03:16
Among all that BLATANT WISHLISTING (sic) I think someone said BOTH TK and OK were going to be released in 2010.
But hey, let's just wait and see, shall we?

LouiseDePointe
23-12-2009, 09:50
Okay, I know I'm a little off topic here, but I do have some things that have been killing me about TK rumors I've seen.

What the hell is up with the lack of light chariots? These are one of the coolest units the TK had in terms of fluffiness? Are they simply staying the same?
Historywise, this bothers me too. Egyptians had tiny chariots- only enough for one driver and an archer. They weren't ever used in charges, instead circling the enemy and firing arrows into them whilst remaining quick and agile. Not to mention their third member (runners), but that's a whole other story (I REALLY wish they'd include some kind of rules for chariot runners- some of the most kick butt foot infantry who'd protect the chariot from getting swamped by enemy soldiers- usually using dual wielded sickle blades).

Anyways, has there been any talk of light chariots?

Scelerat
23-12-2009, 10:07
I'd imagine they would stay pretty much the same. To represent accurately the role light chariots had in Egyptian armies, skellies would need either a BS boost or multiple shots with no malus, and yes, some runners. I doubt that will happen, because well, skellies most likely will stay the same stat wise, and runners would complicate the army unneccesarily.
I find it a small price to pay, if it means we'll still have one of the coolest unit in all of WHF.

Enigmatik1
23-12-2009, 11:45
Among all that BLATANT WISHLISTING (sic) I think someone said BOTH TK and OK were going to be released in 2010.
But hey, let's just wait and see, shall we?

ROFL. That's what happens when you have a 7-8 year old book and it seems like you've been forgotten. Although why an Ogre player cares what goes on in this thread is beyond me. :D

Spiney needs to stop causing trouble imho!

Chiron
23-12-2009, 12:39
No chariots were used as GW uses them, they were horribly ineffective at charging people, so dont just point out the flaws with light chariots

Schelle
23-12-2009, 12:54
Definition of rumour: information, often a mixture of truth and untruth, passed around verbally

Ok, pay attention to the 'truth and untruth' bit, that's the most interesting part.

Xantus
23-12-2009, 13:41
Okay, I know I'm a little off topic here, but I do have some things that have been killing me about TK rumors I've seen.

What the hell is up with the lack of light chariots? These are one of the coolest units the TK had in terms of fluffiness? Are they simply staying the same?
Historywise, this bothers me too. Egyptians had tiny chariots- only enough for one driver and an archer. They weren't ever used in charges, instead circling the enemy and firing arrows into them whilst remaining quick and agile. Not to mention their third member (runners), but that's a whole other story (I REALLY wish they'd include some kind of rules for chariot runners- some of the most kick butt foot infantry who'd protect the chariot from getting swamped by enemy soldiers- usually using dual wielded sickle blades).

Anyways, has there been any talk of light chariots?

I understand where you are coming from with the above, however, as mentioned by another member, having runners would definitely complicate things - if they were to remove impact hits from chariots, a lot of whatever little bitting power TKs have would be further subsided - and make chariots practically useless.

Cavalry have always been used as a formation breaking unit and morale cracker - most infantry tended to move out of the way of a 1000 pound charging beast which would quickly cause unit cohesion disarray... this was done up until Napoleonic times with great effect. I think the D3 impact hits works well and encourages unit formations to cause further hit dice (which is the unique factor behind TK light chariot units)

I think it is very difficult to attain realistic vs playable balance when designing these games, and the golden rule tends to usually be playable first. As for rumours, just give me my TG with A2 and Ushabti with T5 and I'll be as happy as a pig in mud.:D

By the way, given how often I see giants being used - I'd say the reason they didn't make it to the pictures session is because they are being canned in lieu of a more versatile usable unit as the originals state.... it would be a welcomed change if you asked me...

Cheers,

X.

Enigmatik1
23-12-2009, 14:38
Random question...if Big Bone could fly, would people field him?

Hypaspist
23-12-2009, 14:59
Random question...if Big Bone could fly, would people field him?

in a flash

metalhed
23-12-2009, 18:36
Just to back up Elric's post above: the Blood Angels were also off for photography. While I am not up to date with 40k rumours, it is my understanding that the Blood Angels are soon to be updated...perhaps this bodes well for the dusty skeletons?

Grimstonefire
23-12-2009, 20:36
Hi
i'm not sure if this has been mentioned by someone else already, but the studio tk army is out of the display cabinets at warhammer world at the moment. (apart from the bone giants I think) that may be an indication that some of the models are being used for principal book photography.

This is interesting... It would be nigh impossible for them to be in a battle report, so it must be for a new army book!! :p

No, if they are producing anything for 8th ed rulebook, or summer supplement, or a new painting guide, it could be any one of a number of reasons.

Does anyone know how far in advance of release GW normally take photos? Blood Angels are March right? So that could mean 3 months.

IF Gw are doing something with the army it would sort of tie into the May slot for release.

mrtn
23-12-2009, 21:41
Blood Angels should be at the printers already. There's no way they'd take photos for the armybook this late. Could be for something else though, like an article for the GW site or something.

LouiseDePointe
24-12-2009, 08:34
yes, I know. I just sort of hoped with the focus on mobile chariot units that something would be done.

I wasn't saying they absolutely had to be in the book for it to be usable, but rather that the light chariots were a very characterful and defining aspect of the army.

Spiney Norman
24-12-2009, 09:20
Weak rumors? OH, you mean the one that brimstone confirmed was true? The one that said that OK were going to be out in 2010?

Actually I seem to remember him saying OK was probably out during 2010, but I also think that was before we found out that 8th Edition was coming out in the summer, which throws things into confusion somewhat. In any case "probably out in 2010" isn't much to go on. At least on the TK thread we are still talking about rumours...

The problem with the ogre thread was that it went from "is probably out at some point next year" to "what army wide special rule would you give Ogres" over the course of 200+ posts. Without any subsequent rumours to feed the OK thread it just descended into overt wish-listing, which on this forum means gets-moved-to-general-discussion

Spiney needs to stop causing trouble imho!
I don't know what you mean...

And whoever it was that said TK and OK will be released next year is optimistic at best. The only way that will happen is if they leave 8th Ed until 2011. There is only ONE possible release slot open before a summer release of 8th Edition, and thats in may. OK might get it, TK might get it, or it might just be another wave release for one of the other armies already done, heck it might even be Bretonnians for all we know.

One things for sure, if Ogres are getting the treatment in 2010, its about their only oppirtunity.

chaos0xomega
24-12-2009, 21:48
This is interesting... It would be nigh impossible for them to be in a battle report, so it must be for a new army book!! :p

No, if they are producing anything for 8th ed rulebook, or summer supplement, or a new painting guide, it could be any one of a number of reasons.

Does anyone know how far in advance of release GW normally take photos? Blood Angels are March right? So that could mean 3 months.

IF Gw are doing something with the army it would sort of tie into the May slot for release.

Well, considering they were photographed for a section in the January WD (IIRC), I dont think it means much...

Actually I seem to remember him saying OK was probably out during 2010, but I also think that was before we found out that 8th Edition was coming out in the summer, which throws things into confusion somewhat. In any case "probably out in 2010" isn't much to go on. At least on the TK thread we are still talking about rumours...

It was less than a month ago, we have known about 8th edition for quite a bit longer than that (and quite frankly, I'm still not sold on that one, as I've been hearing things from on down the grapevine not to expect it until end of 2010/start of 2011, but thats a different story...)

And whoever it was that said TK and OK will be released next year is optimistic at best. The only way that will happen is if they leave 8th Ed until 2011.

Well, now that you mention it... ;)

Without any subsequent rumours to feed the OK thread it just descended into overt wish-listing, which on this forum means gets-moved-to-general-discussion

THIS thread is largely the same though, granted, it is thinly veiled behind the curtain of "rumors" but if TK are being released in May, then it would be impossible to have rumors with this level of detail. This leads me to believe one of two things:
A- Tomb Kings are being released much sooner than anticipated(given that its supposedly a "fantasy year" this is entirely possible, as there are rumors of 40k getting 4 seperate releases...)
B- Its just wishlisting. Not necessarily on the part of the posters, but possibly on the part of their "sources" or their "sources" sources...

I mean, 5-6 months ago we barely even knew that Tyranids were going to be coming out, let alone knew what special characters were going to be in the book/changes to unit statlines, etc. That info wasn't available until sometime in the last two months, and even then it was only vague rumorings, not entire lists of changes. You expect me to believe that there is already this much info available for Tomb Kings... 5+ months out?

Eumerin
25-12-2009, 03:31

You're not still insisting that Brimstone saying "Sounds reasonable" in response to a question about OK (specifically OK out in the second half of 2010) means that he all but guaranteed OK was coming out next year, are you?

Because "sounds reasonable" means about as much as Harry saying, "If I were talking about the army after beastmen..." and then not clarifying whether he was including non-Fantasy armies in his statement.

:rolleyes:

but if TK are being released in May, then it would be impossible to have rumors with this level of detail.

While that fits with what we've seen in the last year or so, a year and a half ago that statement would have been completely erroneous. While I'm personally highly skeptical of a real list making it out of quarantine, it's always possible that GW's about to suffer a reversion back to the old ways (whether intentional or not).

chaos0xomega
25-12-2009, 03:45
You're not still insisting that Brimstone saying "Sounds reasonable" in response to a question about OK (specifically OK out in the second half of 2010) means that he all but guaranteed OK was coming out next year, are you?

Because "sounds reasonable" means about as much as Harry saying, "If I were talking about the army after beastmen..." and then not clarifying whether he was including non-Fantasy armies in his statement.

Ah, but it was said with the cheekiness of a winking smiley, which in brimstone speak, translates to I know a lot more than I'm telling you.

But alas, I guess we shall never know for sure now, RIP Brim. :(

While that fits with what we've seen in the last year or so, a year and a half ago that statement would have been completely erroneous. While I'm personally highly skeptical of a real list making it out of quarantine, it's always possible that GW's about to suffer a reversion back to the old ways (whether intentional or not).

Odd though that GW would revert with Tomb Kings and not Tyranids/Beastmen. Graned, I havent really been following beastmen, but last I checked, they were only starting to get an idea of what things looked like.

White_13oy
26-12-2009, 05:11

What happened to Brim?

chaos0xomega
26-12-2009, 05:23
check out the thread in random musings. long story short, he's passed away.

Urgat
26-12-2009, 06:52
I know I'm quite out of the loop these days but...

Blood Angels should be at the printers already.

What? Another space marine book? Again? Aren't even the SM players sick of that? If I had nothing better to do with my life, I'd count all the SM codex released by GW. I wouldn't be surprised if over half of the books released by GW, all games put together, were SM books :/ By know, one would think there would be a "the SM book of the month" article in WD. Well, WD is quite the "SM catalogue of the month" already anyway, you'll point out >>

StarFyreXXX
26-12-2009, 07:52
GW is a company and everything they do is about sales.

There is a reason why the stegadon option (ie. army lists with 3-4 stegadons are the best out of the lizardmen hardcore tourney lists)... guess what? GW released a great stegadon plastic set for that.

Space Marines and affiliates are the highest grossing cash cows for GW so they will update army books, produce models/fluff moreso than for other product lines.

If suddenly, in the next year, Dark Eldar and Necrons trippled Space Marines in sales and this lasted year after year, you can bet that they would suddenly get more support than other armies...

Sanjay

Harry
26-12-2009, 08:39

:rolleyes:
I was only talking about fantasy armies.
I will be more specific. Tomb kings are NOT next after Beasts.

Ah, but it was said with the cheekiness of a winking smiley, which in brimstone speak, translates to I know a lot more than I'm telling you.

Sounds like you knew him well enough to me.
He was saying 'OK in second half of 2010' ... sounds about right.

However, I am not sure he was right about that. :D

But he wasn't completely wrong either. :D :D

Thurizdan
26-12-2009, 09:16

Wut...

I refuse to even think about it any more, it's making my head hurt. I'll just be pleasantly surprised when I find stuff out for sure.

Skogla
26-12-2009, 10:15

He was saying OK in second half of 2010 sounds about right.

As OK doesn't seem right, Im guessing Dorfs :P they never really got a real 7th ed book

Scelerat
26-12-2009, 11:30

Oh, crap :( Thank you anyway, not all rumours are nice to read, but having things somewhat confirmed is always a bliss.

Well. Let's just wait and see. In a way it's almost a relief, as I will have time to re-build my Skaven and complete my Eldar... I just would like to know whether they will be redone in a 1-2 years timeframe or will get the Dark Eldar treatment (indefinitely pushed back, I mean, and only getting somewhat confirmed rumours of release 11 years after the current book).
What I fear is what other people have said: if we get a new edition this year, that could mean we will have all the "popular" races being redone before Tomb Kings, out of the loop yet again. Note that I said "could": for all we know, GW might surprise us and make TK the first 8th ed. army, although I heavily doubt that.

So, not to sound desperate or anything, but could someone please say what will be of our TKs? I mean, will we get our army book in that "reasonable" 1-2 years timeframe, or will we get DE'd?

Darnok
26-12-2009, 14:02

Something with substance, at last. Harry, I love you. :)

No do I need to report this topic again, or could we just get this wishlist closed?

Harry
26-12-2009, 14:49
So, not to sound desperate or anything, but could someone please say what will be of our TKs? I mean, will we get our army book in that "reasonable" 1-2 years timeframe, or will we get DE'd?
Oh, they are coming ... in a very "reasonable" time frame ... practically sprinting in our direction (as much as a skeletal horde can sprint. More of a fast shuffle in our direction) ... they are just not next.

Scelerat
26-12-2009, 15:04
Oh, thank you again! That's better than I expected.
Cool! New shiny toys for us! :_)

chaos0xomega
26-12-2009, 16:42

Using my rules of deductive reasoning, with a sprinkle of my own stubbornness and desire to see a new OK book:
1. TK are not next after beasts, which means TK won't be in the first half of 2010.
2. You are suggesting that Brim (rest in peace) was wrong about OK in second half of 2010, but not fully wrong. Therefore it is possible that he was wrong about which half of 2010(and judging by the smilies), meaning the first half, which means OK are out before TK in May of 2010.

BOOM!

Harry
26-12-2009, 16:58
BOOM!
Badda bing, badda boom!

Chiron
26-12-2009, 17:00
Badda bing, badda boom!

Multi-pass!

Harry
26-12-2009, 17:04
Multi-pass!
??? Scorpin Dallas or Korben Dallas? :D

R-Love
26-12-2009, 17:25
Just to make sure Harry, (not that I doubt you) when you say that TK are not next, do you mean the next book or the next release? (Daemon second wave, for example)

Harry
26-12-2009, 17:33
Just to make sure Harry, (not that I doubt you) when you say that TK are not next, do you mean the next book or the next release? (Daemon second wave, for example)
Just to be clear ... BOTH. :D

Nice Avatar. :D
Cracks me up every time I see it.
You have no idea how close to the mini that is.

Enigmatik1
26-12-2009, 17:45
Thank you, Harry for the clarification. :)

Let's just hope that we aren't the first release of 8th edition. I have absolutely no desire to have my only army become the "new" O&G while they use us as the proverbial guinea pigs for their new rules (especially magic). :shifty:

Chiron
26-12-2009, 21:19
??? Scorpin Dallas or Korben Dallas? :D

To bring us back to Egyptian's and TK

Pass'd over :cries:

Spiney Norman
26-12-2009, 22:57
Oh, they are coming ... in a very "reasonable" time frame ... practically sprinting in our direction (as much as a skeletal horde can sprint. More of a fast shuffle in our direction) ... they are just not next.

hmmm, slightly vexing, but I guess we'll have to live with it

So what are we looking at

May 2010 - OK or something else
August/Sept - 8th Edition
Dec - New army to front 8th Ed (maybe Empire?)
Q1 2011 - O&G
Q2 2011 - TK or other army (?)

Alternatively the rumours of 8th Edition this year are entirely false and TK might get a slot before the end of 2010

chaos0xomega
27-12-2009, 01:35
Maybe Harry can confirm, but I've heard stuff from on down the grapevine that 8th edition won't be due until the end of 2010/the start of 2011, certainly not this summer.

Lady Melisandre
27-12-2009, 01:52

At last, a 100% accurate, guaranteed rewashable, no-ironing-needed rumour! Gods of my ancestors, a fact even. I was beginning to think these were an extinct species.

Thank you Harry. Please accept a lemon-meringue pie in gratitude. :D

R-Love
27-12-2009, 05:04
Just to be clear ... BOTH. :D

Nice Avatar. :D
Cracks me up every time I see it.
You have no idea how close to the mini that is.

As I said in the beasts thread, the public deserves to see it! (Plus it's just plain awesome. I really don't know to thank Hastings enough for it :D)

I don't suppose you'll tell us what the other release is? I'd assume it's Daemons (Prince and seekers have both been seen at games day recently (though the Prince was first seen over a year ago, so I don't want to get too hopeful))

Eumerin
27-12-2009, 07:00
I can't shake the feeling that there's something critically important that Harry's NOT telling us...

Like "Tomb Kings are coming out in May, but they're still not next because OK is coming out in April."

I'll be the first to admit that the above doesn't make any sense based on the way that GW has done things for quite some time now (I was just throwing a hypothetical out there to make my point). But despite the almost explicit nature of Harry's recent comments, his tone leads me to wonder if he's amusing himself by making seemingly clear statements that are missing an 'out of left field' piece of information - something that we'd ordinarily never have thought to ask about, but that casts the whole thing in an entirely new light.

And...

TK aren't due out following BoC, but they're 'sprinting'? Doesn't make much sense, imo...

chaos0xomega
27-12-2009, 07:13
agreed... clearly both are 2010 releases...

and I know this is probably not the case, but its either the "Tomb Kings are coming out in May, but they're still not next because OK is coming out in April;" or perhaps all sides have been misled and 8th edition is coming out much sooner than summer (I.E. April 8th edition) and maybe the Ogres and Tomb Kings are going to be the two opposing forces for the starter set?

but then... that is technically next isn't it?

I dont know, Harry obviously isn't letting on a specific piece of info that will make the rest fall in like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle.

BrianGeneral
27-12-2009, 08:04
I'll actually be interested in this, but what about the Chariots? Hope they won't go to Special slots.

White_13oy
27-12-2009, 08:12
Honestly, I'm hoping Core Light Chariots that are 3-12 to a unit while we get 1-3 Heavy Chariots for Special. Either two Tomb Guard or one Ushabti.

ftayl5
27-12-2009, 09:24
no... more... heavy... horsemen?? :cries:

good news with the scorpion, finally negate ranks :)

I sure hope most of this is true. And they should probly make new models for almost everything

Revlid
27-12-2009, 11:55
Making up for the Hakuna Matata outbreak on the Beasts thread, I'm just compiling all the rumours in this thread outside of the first post.

Hi all,

Don't know if some one already added this, but Bone Giant will come out in a plastic kit, kind of like the current Giant kit, but obviously with different bits and bobs.:D

Not sure if it will have the Bone Giant mage option though, which was mentioned as a rumour in a previous thread.

I already knew this for quite awhile now from a good an reliable source, basically predicted the plastic stegadon and empire greatswords almost half a year before their actual release.

So think of it what you will, after all this is a rumours thread:rolleyes:

Special characters:
Golden ushabti guardian
Old follower of nagash
Sacred icon bearer mummy
Bretonnian (!) knight
King on mummified lizard

Spiney Norman
27-12-2009, 15:44
Maybe Harry can confirm, but I've heard stuff from on down the grapevine that 8th edition won't be due until the end of 2010/the start of 2011, certainly not this summer.

That would solve a lot of problems, but I would suggest that if 8th is not this summer then it wont be the end of 2010/beginning of 2011. As long as I have played the game all new editions of both Fantasy and 40K have been summer releases. So 8th Edition might be summer 2011 then? I really don't think they would sideline a major release by not taking advantage of the summer holidays just so they can fit the army book releases round it.

That would allow them to almost complete the army book cycle before the new edition, and means we could get TK by September 2010. There are 5 army books remaining for the 7th Ed treatment, Ogres, TK, Bretonnians, Wood elves and Dwarfs. They could reasonably put out 4 books over 2010, which would be Beasts, OK, TK, and one other (probably Bretonnians or Wood elves), then they could push out the other first in 2011, and either release dwarfs before the summer or at the beginning of 8th Edition.

no... more... heavy... horsemen?? :cries:

good news with the scorpion, finally negate ranks :)

I sure hope most of this is true. And they should probly make new models for almost everything
You're weeping over heavy horsemen??? really? You must be one of the few players that actually uses those over-priced monstrosities, I occasionally use light horsies if I need to fill a core slot, but even that is rare nowerdays.

Xantus
27-12-2009, 15:48
Good idea to compile the above Revlid. Haven't been part of this forum long enough to know who Harry is, but sounds like someone with credible insider info. If Harry's word is gold, then it alludes to a TK release in 2010 - which is good news for those of us with these under-fed legions...

Chariots becoming core is a logical evolution of the TK list IMO.

Cheers,

X.

GuyLeCheval
27-12-2009, 16:17
Good idea to compile the above Revlid. Haven't been part of this forum long enough to know who Harry is, but sounds like someone with credible insider info. If Harry's word is gold, then it alludes to a TK release in 2010 - which is good news for those of us with these under-fed legions...

Chariots becoming core is a logical evolution of the TK list IMO.

Cheers,

X.

Harry is the guy who's always right about rumours. If he says so, it will be so.

He hasn't been wrong many times yet.

Dargon
28-12-2009, 01:29
As long as I have played the game all new editions of both Fantasy and 40K have been summer releases.Up until the last Edition of 40K, all new Editions of both Fantasy and 40K have been released in Sept/Oct (which doesn't translate as Summer, well, anywhere in the world). Even the last edition of 40K (which was released in July), still released it's starter set in September.

Just to spice up speculation, Harry hasn't necessarily confirmed that there is another army out before Tomb Kings - we just have confirmation of a Book + Releases. With all the previous rumours of a big fantasy summer campaign this year, there's the possibility that the Book + Releases that comes out before Tomb Kings will all be tied with the campaign (as with Lustria and Storm of Chaos).

Just a (speculative) thought...

chaos0xomega
28-12-2009, 01:35
Well, the last campaign GW did didn't have campaign books (and indeed I think GW is trying to play keep away with those...), also, campaigns generally run from May/June to August(IIRC), so I doubt they would be putting out a campaign book before that time. Also, there is still the fact that Harry is suggesting that brimstone was partially wrong about the suggestion that OK would be out in the latter half of 2010. In order to be partially wrong, he would have to be partially right. I.E. - He was correct about the year or the half. So (hopefully) that means that OK are out in the first half of 2010, otherwise OK are out in the back half of 2011...

Anyway, my point is maybe it is OK before TK

Eumerin
28-12-2009, 06:05
Just to spice up speculation, Harry hasn't necessarily confirmed that there is another army out before Tomb Kings

Harry's comment on the previous page needs to be matched up to his comment MUCH earlier in this thread - to the effect that (paraphrase) "... if I were talking about the army coming after Beastmen, I wouldn't be talking about Tomb Kings."

Ergo, it strongly appears that he's indicating that Tomb Kings will NOT be the army released after Beastmen. Further, he seems to be suggesting that Ogres are scheduled for the first half of 2010.

Even the last edition of 40K (which was released in July), still released it's starter set in September.

iirc, Space Hulk was a September release as well. I wouldn't be surprised if GW has gotten it into their heads to do a boxed release every September - though assuming that 8th edition fills up the slot in either 2010 or 2011 I have no clue what else they would use for a boxed release.

Harry
28-12-2009, 08:05
I am going to assume that 8th is in the summer (as this is what happened last time with the new edition of the rules) and then September will see a new Starter set. This is what happened last time. (7th) I remember Gamesday was chaos with youngsters everywhere unpacking battle for skull pass.

@Chaos0xomega. Check out a definition of "Badda bing, badda boom" on the urban dictionary. :D

White_13oy
28-12-2009, 09:39
Check out a definition of "Badda bing, badda boom" on the urban dictionary. :D

A term commonly used by members of the Mafia. Slang for, "it's finished; taken care of." Often it is heard in the metropolitan areas of New York, specifically Brooklyn.

Is this a hint Harry, it's the only that sounds like it could be used in this situation. Also doesn't the fact the Harry is posting here quite a bit mean that there is some credit to it being in the near future and not hot air? I'm not saying next release but maybe after starter set? Or maybe if 8th isn't a summer release maybe it will be Beasts, OK, TK. I can hope can't I?

lord marcus
28-12-2009, 16:24

your going down in king Amon-zar of quatar's "to damn" book harry.

i want me new shiny skeletons!

Eumerin
28-12-2009, 16:54
Or maybe if 8th isn't a summer release maybe it will be Beasts, OK, TK. I can hope can't I?

Hope all you want. It's free after all!

;)

And I'll be hoping right along with you.

chaos0xomega
28-12-2009, 17:17
A term commonly used by members of the Mafia. Slang for, "it's finished; taken care of." Often it is heard in the metropolitan areas of New York, specifically Brooklyn.

Is this a hint Harry, it's the only that sounds like it could be used in this situation. Also doesn't the fact the Harry is posting here quite a bit mean that there is some credit to it being in the near future and not hot air? I'm not saying next release but maybe after starter set? Or maybe if 8th isn't a summer release maybe it will be Beasts, OK, TK. I can hope can't I?

If I'm understanding him right, due to the timing of that(right after my deductive reasoning post on the previous page), it means that OK are coming out before TK in the first half of 2010. So both our books are getting some love early next year.

I <3 you Harry (in a completely platonic, non-homosexual, brotherly manner).

Vazalaar
28-12-2009, 19:56
2010 is a fantasy year?

- Beastmen in februari
- Ogre Kingdoms in april
- Tomb Kings in June
- July - September (different 2nd wave releases, mainly Dark Elves and WoC)
- 8th edition - September
- starterkit - October
- Bretonnia - November
- O&G - Februari 2011, followed by Empire, WE, Dwarfs.
;-)

Edit: There is a "bit" of guessing in it;-), but they said 2010 will be a fantasy year. So for me a fantasy year is nothing less than this.

White_13oy
28-12-2009, 20:32
Now that release schedule would make me giddy. I hope it true. The problem with that is that it leaves nothing for 40k to be released with (Not that I care, as I would like to have 40k feel how we did this year with only two releases). Or if they did have this schedule, It would be a book almost every month between 40k and Fantasy.

EmperorNorton
28-12-2009, 20:37
That sounds really nice...and really expensive for me.

DaBrode
28-12-2009, 21:32
Is it completely unheard of and ridiculous to conceive two armies being released simultaneously? Just curious...

chaos0xomega
28-12-2009, 22:03
Closest thing is I think the past few months have been 1 month seperations, but simultaneous? dont think so...

StarFyreXXX
28-12-2009, 22:04
they did it with demons but that was for 2 game systems....not 2 for the same...

Sanjay

Ramius4
28-12-2009, 22:07
they did it with demons but that was for 2 game systems....not 2 for the same...

Sanjay

That and all the daemon models cross over to both systems except for the Soul Grinder.

Ludaman
28-12-2009, 23:25
And some cross over to neither! Like the new plastic Daemon Prince!

ekxw
28-12-2009, 23:52
also the ogre one wont have many new models, or so i think, cause they have great plastics, just need some more "yettes and man eaters".

but the tomb kings need a bigger remodelation in plastic and metal.

Spiney Norman
29-12-2009, 00:55
2010 is a fantasy year?

- Beastmen in februari
- Ogre Kingdoms in april
- Tomb Kings in June
- starterkit - October
- Bretonnia - November
;-)

Edit: There is a "bit" of guessing in it;-), but they said 2010 will be a fantasy year. So for me a fantasy year is nothing less than this.

Sorry Tonny, did you just make that up or do you actually have a source?

People seem to be confusing a new edition (usually released in July I think, as with 5th Ed 40K) with the Starter box set (released late september in time for Gamesday).

If 8th Edition is up for release in 2010 they're going to be working at double the normal pace just to get Beasts, Ogres and TK out before July, not to mention fitting Tyranids, Blood Angels and the LotR Rohan release mentioned in WD a few issues back around them as well.

DaBrode
29-12-2009, 02:17
also the ogre one wont have many new models, or so i think, cause they have great plastics, just need some more "yettes and man eaters".

but the tomb kings need a bigger remodelation in plastic and metal.

They need yhetees and man-eaters??? As an Ogre player I take offense to you making this statement. You must not be privvy to the REAL Ogre Kingdom plight.

Scelerat
29-12-2009, 03:24
2010 is a fantasy year?

- Beastmen in februari
- Ogre Kingdoms in april
- Tomb Kings in June
- starterkit - October
- Bretonnia - November
;-)

As much as I'd love this to be true, I doubt it will happen. Too many Fantasy things, and though this year is said to be the "Fantasy year", they cannot just forget about the other two systems.
But I'd very much love to be proven wrong.

Lazarus15
29-12-2009, 03:46
Beastmen-Feb
Blood Angels/Battles-March/April
Ok's-May
Summer Campaign-June
TK's-July/August

So on....this is what I see....pie man....am I close?

chaos0xomega
29-12-2009, 03:53
Im gonna guess that Blood Angels aren't in March or April, just Battles. OK in april, TK in may or june (remember, TK sprinting towards us).

Eumerin
29-12-2009, 03:59
Beastmen-Feb
Blood Angels/Battles-March/April
Ok's-May
Summer Campaign-June
TK's-July/August

So on....this is what I see....pie man....am I close?

Harry's comments seem to suggest that he believes (but doesn't know for certain) that 8th Edition will come out this year. Given that, I'm not so sure if a TK release mid-summer is realistic.

Razakel
29-12-2009, 08:45
Exciting news regarding the Tomb Kings, I can remember Bone Giants hacking up almost everything with Unstoppable Assault, though I think as the game progressed and armies were revolutionized with new lists, the Tomb Kings fell out of favour in a big way.

I think its less likely, though not impossible for GW to release two different armies simultaneously. I guess the wait and see approach might be the best, as time goes by GW will make definite announcements, probably several months in advance.

Vermin-thing
29-12-2009, 08:56
Well, lets see what would be required of both releases.

OK:

Book.
Plastic tyrant/bruiser/maneater/butcher. (a set of three models, each player will probably buy at least two)
Plastic yetties/windigos/big foot. Or a re-sculpt in metal. (more likely)
Plastic rhinox riders. (box of two)
Gorger re-sculpt.
Plastic mastodon/mammoth. (could be used for three armies)
Random special characters in metal.
Metal five pack of sabertooths, re-sculpted. (or plastic if they sold well) This brings us to a problem, what will we do with the sabertooths in the hunter set?

TK:

The entire line.

That means skeletons, horsemen, chariots, tomb guard all in plastic.
Four-five metal character sets, prince, litch, bone giant, BSB, construct.
SCC, bone giant (might be combined with the metal set), plastic bone dragon (wishlisting), a rock, constructs, all in metal.

Spiney Norman
29-12-2009, 10:29
Not to put a dampner on things, but I think hankering after a plastic character set for OK is being a little hopeful, I might be wrong, but not all 7th Ed armies got one by a long shot (mainly only the super-popular ones like Empire, O&G and High Elves), if WoC and VC didn't get one I think it will be unlikely OK do.

Well, lets see what would be required of both releases.

TK:

The entire line.

That means skeletons, horsemen, chariots, tomb guard all in plastic.
Four-five metal character sets, prince, litch, bone giant, BSB, construct.
SCC, bone giant (might be combined with the metal set), plastic bone dragon (wishlisting), a rock, constructs, all in metal.

Are you out of your mind? Why all this hate for the TK models? We need plastic skeletons, plastic skeleton cavalry, a new Liche Priest, perhaps the Bone Giant and whatever else new they intend to put into the list. I really hope we don't get a bone dragon, dragons are about as Egyptian-themed as fish n' chips.

Swarms, Chariots, Ushabti, Tomb Guard, the Scorpion, carrion etc are all great models, theres no need to replace the entire range when they just don't need to. I'm guessing we will get plastic Tomb Guard, (hopefully cheaper than the plastic greatswords we were "blessed" with), and a plastic catapult and scorpion wouldn't go amiss, because as nice as the current metals are, you do need a degree in engineering to assemble both of them.

Aside from the Liche priests our characters are already awesome, the Kings and princes are great, not to mention Settra and Khalida.

eurys
29-12-2009, 11:03
Are you out of your mind? Why all this hate for the TK models? We need plastic skeletons, plastic skeleton cavalry, a new Liche Priest, perhaps the Bone Giant and whatever else new they intend to put into the list. I really hope we don't get a bone dragon, dragons are about as Egyptian-themed as fish n' chips.

Swarms, Chariots, Ushabti, Tomb Guard, the Scorpion, carrion etc are all great models, theres no need to replace the entire range when they just don't need to. I'm guessing we will get plastic Tomb Guard, (hopefully cheaper than the plastic greatswords we were "blessed" with), and a plastic catapult and scorpion wouldn't go amiss, because as nice as the current metals are, you do need a degree in engineering to assemble both of them.

Aside from the Liche priests our characters are already awesome, the Kings and princes are great, not to mention Settra and Khalida.

Personally, i like the actual models for skeletons. Lich Priest are good, Tomb princes are cool, special characters are really great...

My opinions about units to be absolutely redone are :
- Bone giant ( the GW one is ... ugly. So ugly that i bought the reapermini colossal skeleton as first bone giant, and intend to use the necromunda's undead giant rat with a pair of nightmare's or balbrog's wings to make a bone dragon countas bone giant i can play while playing in GW stores :skull:)

- Plastic Tomb guards : the metal one are heavy, exepnsives, and desserve a finest sculpt

- Plastic Carions : the metal ones are not that bad, but the wings are too flat and too thick

- Add a saddle for horse skelettons ? ( i made one by myself that can be seen Here (http://forum.crazy-orc.org/index.php?topic=1443.msg33237#msg33237) )

But theses are only wishes, since the sculpting is probably already done, if TK are scheduled for May/June ...

Enigmatik1
29-12-2009, 14:24

I agree with everything you've said. Although I do find the bolded part funny...I said the same thing on Khemri.co.uk not too long ago and I stand by that statement. You know it's bad when building a bridge is easier than assembling a model. :cries:

White_13oy
29-12-2009, 18:01
Yeah, those two models drove me crazy trying to build them. I feel like shoving a nail under the the nails of the guy who designed that. What thought process was there;

(SSC)
Guy 1: We're going to have them connect all the middle pieces at once that way if one side of one piece comes out, you have to start over.

Guy 2: Won't that be a little difficult?

Guy 1: Nah, they have glue, they'll be fine. Besides, I have a degree in Architecture, so they'll be fine.

(Bone Giant)

Guy 1: Ok, This guy stands upright and is easily built because he has a piece of sand he goes into. So that sets the pace for connecting the hip and shoulder joints, plus he is standing.

Guy 2: Won't that be hard to glue with the laws of gravity?

Guy1: Nah, they have glue. Plus, he has small joints and is already in a stance, so you don't have room for error. Besides, I have a degree in Anatomy, so they'll be fine.

I would honestly love a new Liche Priest model. Our current one looks more Mummified than our Mummies. I always think they are going to open their mouths and scream out beetles.

Ramius4
29-12-2009, 18:34
I wouldn't mind one or two mummies sculpted with a bulkier look too. Yeah, I know it's counter intuitive, but I like the old beefy mummies they used to make.

LKHERO
29-12-2009, 18:50
Hopefully the new TK come out soon.

Enigmatik1
29-12-2009, 19:16
...snip...

ROFLMAO! Quality stuff right thurr!

Vermin-thing
29-12-2009, 22:39
Not to put a dampner on things, but I think hankering after a plastic character set for OK is being a little hopeful, I might be wrong, but not all 7th Ed armies got one by a long shot (mainly only the super-popular ones like Empire, O&G and High Elves), if WoC and VC didn't get one I think it will be unlikely OK do.

Okay, let me make this a little clearer.

The problem is that once you update the skeletons, which will probably look like the VC ones, you will have some very odd characters.

Its not like GW will do the right thing, and base the skeletons on the tomb prince model so the range looks complete.

As for the bone dragon I was thinking more on the lines of an abomination or some old dragon that got lost in the desert.

So,

Plastic:

Tomb guard, skeleton warriors, skeleton calvary, SCC, bone giant/bone dragon.

Metal re-sculpt:

Carrion (I think that they could use more than two poses, and the wings of lead), and litch priest needs to be put in line with the one on the CoS.

The problem TK face is the same that assaulted the Skaven, to many models from different generations. I wonder what approach GW will take to bring this line back into the light. I don't hate the skeletons, I just think that they look very odd next to the well proportioned tomb prince model.

Pacorko
29-12-2009, 22:50
For all the reasons above, this is why GW WON'T be doing TKs any time soon. The level of investement needed to "unify" the looks of the army is so big, they will gor for quick-buck, "uber-rammaged-yet-so-kewl-fer-convertion" kits instead of putting the studio guys up to the task of writing a book, and sculting more undead-ish things for plastic production and renewed characters.

I hope I'm wrong, of course, but to repeat myself yet again: this is just wishlisting and the "rumour" has no substance whatosever to it.

Scelerat
30-12-2009, 04:35
As much as I hate correcting other people (not!), I will tell you, Paco, there have been rumours in this thread that had quite a lot of substance. I'd quote them for you, but that would reinforce your behaviour of not reading threads before replying, and I just can't do that.

chaos0xomega
30-12-2009, 05:19
For all the reasons above, this is why GW WON'T be doing TKs any time soon.

Despite the fact that reliable rumor-mongers have said otherwise? I think you're wrong.

ddfishy
30-12-2009, 06:52
Despite what has been said and I do believe that we will be seeing TK in 2010. That being said,the list of models that are being redone/"wish-listed" by people are overly optimistic in my opinion.

First just because it is in the list does not mean there will be a model anytime near release. This has been proven by the Abomination for Skaven and Warshine for WOC. So a Bone Dragon (which I think is bogus as it doesn't fit the theme)/Sphinx being wished/rumour being included in the list does not mean there will be a model for it at the time of release. Therefore you can not rely on the fact that a new unit maybe included in the list as a factor to move up or delay an army release.

Second, although there are scale issues with existing Skeletons, GW current procedure appears to be to replace "Dated" plastics and replace key metal regiments with plastics. All of the TK plastics are of 6th edition origin and regardless of what people say about quality and scale, they are reasonably new compared to some of the plastic models that have been replaced this edition. Therefore would it surprise me that Warriors/Cav/Chariot remain the same... NO. In fact it would make the most sense to keep then the same and redo TG which would result in the core of most TK armies being in plastic models.

TK release in my opinion will be.

IF any of existing plastics get redone its Warriors (repackaged into a box of 10)
Plastic Tomb Guard (10)
Plastic Screaming Skull or Bone Giant (1)
A handful of new Character/Special Character models
Maybe one of the new units if any....

Pacorko
30-12-2009, 07:27
but that would reinforce your behaviour of not reading threads before replying, and I just can't do that.

Wot? Not reading? ˇVamos, hombre! If there were any validity to any rumour here, the original post would summarize everything and anything meaningful, and it's remained untouched since its inception. Sure, I skipped a lot of wishlists/theoretical "what they need to do"s/tangential remarks as how TKs would be better and more competitive.

Yes, I'll say it again: I skipped a good bit of the typical "TKs should have their Casket as a yadda, yadda, yadda..." and "The Tomb Scorpions and Bone Giants...", yet I fail to remember Harry even slightly teasing us with anything more susbtantial than "it's a possibility" (and in this gaming life of ours, EVRYTHING is a possibility).:shifty:

I really hope there is a TKs realease down the line, and would be ecstatic if they indeed come out in 2010. But nothing here can confirm that, let alone support the May date.

'Cause me, I just traded some WM/H stuff for a nice TK army to add to my ranks, so...

I need a new book! Forget resculpting or adding new plastics to the line, just an army book! That's all and me and a lot of TK players will pre-order it the moment it's put on the GW website.

So, howsabouddit GW, huh? Whaddoyousay? :p

Harry
30-12-2009, 07:33
GW are not going to revisit the army book without revisiting the miniatures.
They will be resculpting and adding new plastic to the line.
You don't need any inside information to know this ... you just have to look at everything else they have done.
They are not coming in May but they are coming.

Skywave
30-12-2009, 07:56
Second, although there are scale issues with existing Skeletons, GW current procedure appears to be to replace "Dated" plastics and replace key metal regiments with plastics. All of the TK plastics are of 6th edition origin and regardless of what people say about quality and scale, they are reasonably new compared to some of the plastic models that have been replaced this edition. Therefore would it surprise me that Warriors/Cav/Chariot remain the same... NO. In fact it would make the most sense to keep then the same and redo TG which would result in the core of most TK armies being in plastic models.

Skeleton Warriors are a 5th edition kit, and I totally expect them being remade entirely. Some 5th kit are still decent, but these aren't, it's a very bad kit.

Otherwise I think like you, other plastic kit are 6th edition and fine as it is, as well as all the metal range. Tomb Guard could get a plastic kit, some new unit (mostly new infantry-size stuff) could get some metal figure along some extra characters, but otherwise I don't see a big model overhaul being made fot the TK. Every current option could stay the same, with plan to upgrade some models at a later point.

chaospantz
30-12-2009, 08:46
I have to imagin that we'll see TK models get the same love that VC did.
plastic skeletons.
plastic tomb guard.
1 or 2 new charcter models.
carron will probably stay the same.
Scorpion will probably stay the same.
Will be intristed to see if the bone giant stays the same. I think the current model is fine but i wonder if they will bring his base more in line with the plastic giant.
Will probably see some kind of new model. hopefully a heavy chariot/unit.

Skeletons and Skeleton horsemen will be wearing light armour.
skeleton horsemen wll get spears hopefully
Everything will get a price reduction.
Please GW dont change the TK magic system. I dont think they will but i've seen post where people want it made into the same as every other army out there, but i like that we have a magic system that is all our own.
I'm not counting on it but would love to see some kind of riden monster for our lord choices. Ether a realy fast sphinx or some kind giant carron bird would be neat.

It's still to early to tell what we'll see in the book. I'm hopefull that it will come out first half of 2010, but any time next year(as long as its good and well ballanced) would be fine. From what I rember all the armies have seen a new book for this edition except TK, OK, and Bretts. So as long as GW keeps on putting out books at a steady pace we should see TK this next year. I also like to read the rumors and dream of how cool the changes would be but it's best not to put to much belief in them. GW has done a good job of pluging up there rumor hole lately and I find it hard to belive that some rogue red shirt has the inside track on whats going in the book. I seem to recall Skaven rumors comming out about this far from there book release and the Hellpit abomonation was going to tunnel and be able to charge when it came up.

Spiney Norman
30-12-2009, 09:29
Okay, let me make this a little clearer.

The problem is that once you update the skeletons, which will probably look like the VC ones, you will have some very odd characters.

Its not like GW will do the right thing, and base the skeletons on the tomb prince model so the range looks complete.

As for the bone dragon I was thinking more on the lines of an abomination or some old dragon that got lost in the desert.

So,

Plastic:

Tomb guard, skeleton warriors, skeleton calvary, SCC, bone giant/bone dragon.

Metal re-sculpt:

Carrion (I think that they could use more than two poses, and the wings of lead), and litch priest needs to be put in line with the one on the CoS.

The problem TK face is the same that assaulted the Skaven, to many models from different generations. I wonder what approach GW will take to bring this line back into the light. I don't hate the skeletons, I just think that they look very odd next to the well proportioned tomb prince model.

Interesting, do you think GW is overly concerned by bringing the range of a particular army into line with itself? Just browsing the High elf range tells me otherwise, not to mention the Dark Elves, which desipte a fairly extensive overhaul still failed to get matching chariot/heavy cavalry mounts. High elves really needed new spearmen and archers (not to mention their cavalry mounts) and didn't get them, which makes me slightly afraid they might do the same for TK and leave us with the "gothic-style" skellies.

That said the last HE book was primarily a rules fix to get the army playable again, TK are still pretty playable so hopefully the emphasis will be on updating the models, rather like the Skaven release.

I could live without new cavalry, I never use them under the current rules anyway and am unlikely to unless they get a lot better. With chariots on the table TK cavalry just don't cut it.

New Skeleton infantry is a must though, they need to be more in line with the chariot crew plastics with a more eqyptian feel. The problem, of course is that will make them look almost identicle to Tomb Guard, which would necessarily infer a new sculpt for them also.

Also, if they must inflict a flying monstrous mount on Tomb Kings for their lords, I much prefer the rumours of a "Roc" as a giant Carrion than a skeletal version of a traditional fantasy Dragon.

Enigmatik1
30-12-2009, 14:08
I could live without new cavalry, I never use them under the current rules anyway and am unlikely to unless they get a lot better. With chariots on the table TK cavalry just don't cut it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the redundancy here. Especially if they give us access to heavier chariots, there is absolutely no need for cavalry of any kind in the list...especially if I get my wish and they allow these units access to Flails.

New Skeleton infantry is a must though, they need to be more in line with the chariot crew plastics with a more eqyptian feel. The problem, of course is that will make them look almost identicle to Tomb Guard, which would necessarily infer a new sculpt for them also.

Very true. I would hope that if/when they rescuplt the Tomb Guard, they make them look more like mummies and less like Skeletons with an additional armor piece and a few rags on their feet. ;)

Also, if they must inflict a flying monstrous mount on Tomb Kings for their lords, I much prefer the rumours of a "Roc" as a giant Carrion than a skeletal version of a traditional fantasy Dragon.

I think the thing here is that people want to be able to put our characters on flying mounts "like every other army that isn't Ogres." I'm ambivalent on that personally. I'd prefer an extremely nasty chariot option myself. Keep that kind of crutch out of our army imo.:D

Eumerin
30-12-2009, 18:46
A giant flying chariot, perhaps? :D

While not as potent as a dragon, it would fit more with the general "we don't have anything overwhelmingly powerful" feel of the current TK. A flying ship is another option, though a bit odder.

Skeleton Warriors are a 5th edition kit, and I totally expect them being remade entirely.

And hopefully with khopeshes like the Tomb Guard instead of the completely out of place mixture of longswords, scimitars, axes, and flails.

Enigmatik1
30-12-2009, 19:50
Seriously!

Every time I see a Tomb King Skeleton with an axe I want to vomit. Yes, I know the ancients did use axes, but I would prefer to have the option to have my Skeleton Warriors (not that I actually use Skeleton Warriors...bleh! I'm not paying 9+ points per model for those pieces of crap) to look like an actual unit as opposed to a collection of hastily-thrown together bones.

You got me, E. I so had a flying Chariot in my mind when I said that but didn't want to put it out there just yet. I don't want a Dragon. I'm not even sold on the Sphinx because I think they'd just jack it up. Fix Big Bone and make him worth fielding as opposed to the Casket and/or Screaming Skull Catapult(s) and give us uber chariots for our characters and I'm good.

Skywave
30-12-2009, 20:32
I don't think a skeletal dragon would end up in the TK, it's not in style with the rest of the army.

A monster like the "Roc" would be a bit better, or a flying, ethereal chariot! (adding ethereal just because I have this image of the ghost charriot at the end of the Mummy movie :p). I'm personally fine without flying mount though, don't see it as a necessity, but cool if there's one (as long as it's not a dragon).

And yeah I have 0 Skeleton infantry in my army that don't have bow. I can't stand the mix of weapons. Even with bow they still suck as model with those annoying legs, make them hard to rank (and with 1 of those legs that have a tendency to break if you look funny at them, a flaw in the mould process I don't know, they all break at the same spot).

Eumerin
30-12-2009, 22:02
Seriously!

Every time I see a Tomb King Skeleton with an axe I want to vomit. Yes, I know the ancients did use axes,

They may or may not have used axes, but the closest that they got to long swords and scimitars were short swords. And they definitely didn't use ball-and-chain-style flails (what GW mistakenly refers to as a 'morningstar' in the BRB)!

You got me, E. I so had a flying Chariot in my mind when I said that but didn't want to put it out there just yet.

I wouldn't be worried about mentioning a flying chariot. It actually FITS with what we're looking at. I don't know enough about Egyptian mythology to know whether or not the Egyptians ever mentioned such a thing, but we have other examples. Off the top of my head...

Judeao-Christian (and possibly Muslim?) - Elijah is taken to heaven in a 'chariot of fire'
Greek - Medea murders her children to take revenge against Jason (her ex-; she also murders his fiance) and then flees on a flying chariot - pulled by dragons, iirc
Greek - The sun is a chariot, usually driven by Helios but sometimes by Apollo instead, that flies from one end of the earth to the other during the course of the day.

These are all from the same era as what we're looking at in the Tomb Kings book, and from cultures that had contact with ancient Egypt. I don't think that it would be too big of a stretch to include a flying chariot.

mrtn
30-12-2009, 22:18
There's a chariot pulled by a flying camel in one of the Conan stories as well, and the guy riding it is an undead mummy-type of character.

Vermin-thing
30-12-2009, 22:35
If GW really wanted to they could make the tomb kings different from VC. They could include some units from araby. Say spearmen, archers, and camel calvary. Nothing major, but it would make TKs far-far more than just a under powered VC. Not that it would happen. :(

Enigmatik1
30-12-2009, 23:28
Well, if my failing memory serves me correctly, there are no flying Chariot equivalent in Egyptology itself, although Eumerin did provide some other examples from other cultures in the ancient Mediterranean. The closest things that I can think of from Egypt are the barges that carried the major celestial bodies across the sky: Manjet (Sun) and Mesektet (Moon). I don't see why these can't be adapted into "Royal" Chariots. :evilgrin:

I'm not sure how they're going to make us more distinct from the Vampire Counts. I do believe that its possible without adding a bunch of nonsense to the list like Bone Dragons by simply giving us our own version of the Undead rule that better suits who the Tomb Kings are and how they make war. For instance, we can't heal/summon models anywhere near as well as the Vampires. Ok, so then why do we have the more punishing crumbling rule? We should crumble less, but have limited raising capacity. When our characters lead a unit, they should make bring some sort of static increase to the unit (instead of the VC march rule). Priests could add MR. Kings and Princes could pass their WS along to the rest of the unit. There are many options here to explore. Let's just hope that someone actually bothers to do the exploring...

Scelerat
31-12-2009, 12:59
There's a chariot pulled by a flying camel in one of the Conan stories as well, and the guy riding it is an undead mummy-type of character.

Ew... just... ew.
Camels are ugly and comedic creatures. Flying camels are just ludicrous. Let's hope they don't use them.

Also, I'm not exactly an expert on Egyptian history, but I believe they didn't use camels for war purposes.

ICLRK625
31-12-2009, 13:04
Ew... just... ew.
Camels are ugly and comedic creatures. Flying camels are just ludicrous. Let's hope they don't use them.

Also, I'm not exactly an expert on Egyptian history, but I believe they didn't use camels for war purposes.

The Egyptians themselves didn't, but the Saracens and Persians did. Horses are actually afraid of Camels, so enemy cavalry would be disoriented if they tried to fight against the Camel cavalry.

Enigmatik1
31-12-2009, 13:39
I'm not really feeling the camels either. Although the possibility of each of them having a spittle attack (see Chaos Trolls or Bloodcurdling Roar) is amusing. Camels are very nasty creatures in their own right...so I really don't blame horses for being afraid of them. ;)

TalonZahn
04-01-2010, 22:00
If GW really wanted to they could make the tomb kings different from VC. They could include some units from araby. Say spearmen, archers, and camel calvary. Nothing major, but it would make TKs far-far more than just a under powered VC. Not that it would happen. :(

Best way to make them differ is to include their Egyptian background. Many years ago I would put these guys in units or use them a champs/heroes.

http://www.crocodilegames.com/secure/list_items.asp?CatID=24&SubID=21&pageHeading=Items%20-%20Miniatures%20-%20Aegyptus

You can really get a great theme going with the different gods.

Now convince GW to steal the idea.

Petey
04-01-2010, 22:06
cold ones are easily the rules for camels. Ugly nasty slow, and taller than horses (for the extra armor save), with causing fear as all things living hate getting close to camels

Spiney Norman
05-01-2010, 12:32
Personally I'd be against hybriding Tomb Kings with living units. If memory serves that only happens in one city (Numas?) and is definitely the exception rather than the rule. In the majority of Nehekhara the living are too ****-scared to go anywhere near the cities of the dead, and I'd prefer them not to re-write our background so drastically.

I'd potentially be up for a Numasi list incorporating living units for a supplement (something similar to the Lustria supplement they did a few years ago) or perhaps (entirely hypothetically) a summer campaign set in Araby for example, but not in the main army list section of the army book.

Best way to make them differ is to include their Egyptian background. Many years ago I would put these guys in units or use them a champs/heroes.

Actually a man-sized construct would be awesome as a kind of elite infantry, sort of like mini-ushabti, it would be reasonable for them to have better stats to because they wouldn't have the "skeletons have to be crap" stigma.

I'm actually thinking I might order some of the priest models, I've been looking for some alternatives to the GW liche priests for a while. I converted my own hierophant from a Chaos sorcerer and I've been using the casket priest as a second, but I've kinda liked the idea of priests being partly transformed to resemble their patron god since I read Nagash the Sorcerer with the "Ushabti" as the Kings personal guard who look like the city's Patron god.

The Clairvoyant
05-01-2010, 13:05
i love those anubi models!

I may have to get some to use as tomb guard seeing as i've never gotten round to buying any (i've always just proxyed with my grave guard models)

Revlid
05-01-2010, 13:34
I'm guessing those Anubi models (very cool, btw) are similar to what the Godblooded are supposed to look like.

Skeleton camels would look like badly-sculpted horse skeletons.

Mummy/zombie camels, on the other hand... Would just look rather silly, and have rules to go with it.

TalonZahn
05-01-2010, 17:11
When I used them, I viewed them as something along the lines of "The Scorpion King" army. Undead that rose up to serve, or avatars of their religious beliefs, not actual living beings.

Digging into the Egyptian Mythos and building minis from there would do the Tomb Kings wonders.

Enigmatik1
05-01-2010, 19:21
Digging into the Egyptian Mythos and building minis from there would do the Tomb Kings wonders.

I agree. Although I am sure it would never happen, I would kill to have a Tomb King army that represented an army of Sekhmet or Horus.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I think Reaper has a line of Egyptian-esque miniatures called Nefsokar (iirc). They seem to lean towards representing Middle Kingdom deities such as Sekhmet, Anubis and Sobek. Additionally, the range has an awesome looking giant that looks reminds me of Horus.

Xantus
08-01-2010, 01:35
Good to hear further reeinforcement regarding a 2010 TK release. I agree that we'll see the standard GW miniature revamp as part of the release. For the reasons given above, it will be a blessing to get at minimum a part plastic scorpion, catapult and bone giant - which will easy our engineering struggles... this is the route we've seen with other large miniatures accross recent releases. Beyond that, the regular skeletons and cavalry (minus spears/ shields sprues) are a must on the revamp list.... how about giving us enough Egyptian themed heads to start? Axes were used by egyptian Infantry - but they were much sleeker and didn't look like a medieval axe.

As for the chariots, tomb guard, Ushabti and characters - no issues there, IMO the stuff looks all great! Except for perhaps the carrion... again, those are just nasty.... Also, would really like to have a chance to buy Ushabti weapon variants... how many Asp Ushabti do people have with the damn sword?.... Would like to see another infantry elite unit... or a swap of sphinxs for the scorpions...

Cheers,

X.

White_13oy
08-01-2010, 01:55
Honestly, the model I want redone the most is the Liche Priest. I find the model so horible, that I pulled the one off the casket and have him as my heirophant. The other ones look too comical and wonky. I can live with Tomb Guard the way they are. Skeletons would be nice. Also How about a chariot for our King that isn't the basic one.

The Clairvoyant
08-01-2010, 12:25
the problem with the liche priest model is that there aren't enough of them!

I tend to play 3000-4000pt games and having several liches all looking the same is rather irritating! I did take one blister and cut the foot and mounted liches in half and reglued them on the others body, but they still all have that silly skeleton they're standing on. And the mounted torso on the footmodels legs does look a bit weird, but it least it gives me a liche i can equip differently without getting confused about which one is which!

What do you guys use as alternative liches?

Nickskills
08-01-2010, 14:27
I use wargods priest models, with suitable paint jobs. They seem to work quite well, plus they aren't undead, they just never died.

My Hierophant: (it looks better in person)
http://www.crocodilegames.com/secure/items/WGE-102.jpg

Priest#2:
http://www.crocodilegames.com/secure/items/WGE-115.jpg

Although I am a crazy man who only fields two priests right now, here is what I will get if I need more:
http://www.crocodilegames.com/secure/items/WGE-146.jpg
http://www.crocodilegames.com/secure/items/WGE-158.jpg

For a paint scheme, I first painted in a dark flesh color (the sort I usually use for a wash), wash with a grey-green (Ghoul flesh, say), and highlight with a normal flesh color. Along with glowing blue eyes, they look suitable undead.

Darnok
08-01-2010, 14:29
Good to hear further reeinforcement regarding a 2010 TK release.

Where are you reading this into? In my opinion this thread is full back to wishlist mode.

Harry
08-01-2010, 14:32
Where are you reading this into? In my opinion this thread is full back to wishlist mode.

What do you mean "back to". :D

Enigmatik1
08-01-2010, 14:36
You two stop being hateful. Let the 10 or so of us who actually play TK and enjoy them wax poetically about what we'd like to see. :p

Harry
08-01-2010, 14:52
You two stop being hateful. Let the 10 or so of us who actually play TK and enjoy them wax poetically about what we'd like to see. :p

LOL

If you can't beat them join 'um.

I want mummies back as a ranked up unit and this as a plastic kit:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_0324.jpg

Carried by a bunch of bearers like the guys on the left. To work a bit like the Dwarf throne of power. :D

Xantus
08-01-2010, 15:17

Read above.

Cheers,

X.

Darnok
08-01-2010, 17:56
Read above.

I did. Maybe I did miss something, but I found nothing like "further reeinforcement regarding a 2010 TK release". There is only endless wishful thinking regarding a change in background, possible new models, and even more wishful thinking concerning changes of existing units. This includes your post.

And why can't this happen in WHF General, like any other wishlist out there? ;)

I just don't see a reason why I should feel bad about expecting discussions about news and rumours in a thread in that respective section. Even if I look like the bad guy now, but this thread has long lost its place here and should be closed or moved.

Spiney Norman
08-01-2010, 18:17
I use wargods priest models, with suitable paint jobs. They seem to work quite well, plus they aren't undead, they just never died.

Although I am a crazy man who only fields two priests right now, here is what I will get if I need more:
http://www.crocodilegames.com/secure/items/WGE-146.jpg
http://www.crocodilegames.com/secure/items/WGE-158.jpg

For a paint scheme, I first painted in a dark flesh color (the sort I usually use for a wash), wash with a grey-green (Ghoul flesh, say), and highlight with a normal flesh color. Along with glowing blue eyes, they look suitable undead.

No, in all my games I rarely field more than 2 priests, Princes are far better value per point than priests are, even though the scope of their incant is limited, I commonly take a hierophant with the cloak and a second priest with a casket.

My Hiero is a conversion I saw in an old White dwarf article based on the Tzeetnch bird chaos champion, heres a small pic of it (sorry its so small, I'll work on uploading a larger one this evening)
http://www.uploadit.org/my.php?image=http://server2.uploadit.org/files/Spiney-SpineyIkklepriest.JPG

And since we've discussed the last batch of actual rumours to death, maybe we ought to let this baby rest until something more crops up.

StarFyreXXX
08-01-2010, 18:20
Spiney - that priest is very nicely done!!!! excellent work.

How much of it did you have to resculpt (ie. the damage) since cutting off the bird head must have messed up the shoulders/upper back very severely?

Sanjay

Enigmatik1
08-01-2010, 19:02
And why can't this happen in WHF General, like any other wishlist out there? ;)

Because! This is the only place on this forum a TK thread can stay on the first page longer than an hour! :shifty:

I just don't see a reason why I should feel bad about expecting discussions about news and rumours in a thread in that respective section. Even if I look like the bad guy now, but this thread has long lost its place here and should be closed or moved.

Ultimately, you're right, Darnok. I'm just feeling fiesty today. I shall not post in this particular thread again unless something tangible should appear. I promiseseseseses! :angel:

Edit: @Harry...now that's what I'm talking about!

Darnok
08-01-2010, 19:10
Because! This is the only place on this forum a TK thread can stay on the first page longer than an hour! :shifty:

Ultimately, you're right, Darnok. I'm just feeling fiesty today. I shall not post in this particular thread again unless something tangible should appear. I promiseseseseses! :angel:

The thing is: partly I can understand it. There is this inner urge to talk about all the cool stuff possibly coming... yaddayadda.

But I'm interested in the news and rumours about TK, not what some random guy wants to see for his plastic Ushabti. And I don't want to miss anything exciting, unsubscribing from this thread is no real option. So I'm stuck with this wishlist, and I'm disappointed almost every single time I come in and watch, because it is only one more post of wishful thinking. To say it politely: this is more than a bit frustrating.

t-tauri
09-01-2010, 07:34
Moved to Fantasy General.

Condottiere
09-01-2010, 08:08
Well, visually, I see TK as a combination of The Mummy franchise and the Ten Commandments.

Revlid
09-01-2010, 21:45
The thing is: partly I can understand it. There is this inner urge to talk about all the cool stuff possibly coming... yaddayadda.

But I'm interested in the news and rumours about TK, not what some random guy wants to see for his plastic Ushabti. And I don't want to miss anything exciting, unsubscribing from this thread is no real option. So I'm stuck with this wishlist, and I'm disappointed almost every single time I come in and watch, because it is only one more post of wishful thinking. To say it politely: this is more than a bit frustrating.
A bit harsh. There's the initial rumours, followed by Theblackmage's rumours, which seem thoroughly plausible given the last few releases (although I for one expect a truly stupid number of monsters and other large models - this will not overly upset me, I should add).

As opposed to the Ogre thread, which ain't got jack, near as I can tell.

march10k
13-01-2010, 03:48
We want a sphinx!!!!

The Egyptians themselves didn't, but the Saracens and Persians did.

And how is this relevant? You might as well point out that the United States Army once imported camels for use in our own desert...We have only slightly less to do with Egyptians...

Also How about a chariot for our King that isn't the basic one. Shell out for the Settra model. Beautiful chariot. Oh, and my TK has the healing spear, so I used the whole kit, minus the two extra horses. All I had to do was bash the yoke.

eurys
22-01-2010, 10:56
" A rumor ! A rumor ! MY KINGDOM FOR A RUMOR ! "

Nakhun'os, desperate Tomb King :skull:

:shifty:

Ephraim
01-06-2010, 09:07
This is kind of dead, today being 1st of June...

Darnok
01-06-2010, 09:18
Threadomancy at its best. :eyebrows:

Thread closed.

Darnok [=I=]
The WarSeer Inquisition